The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon

Meh. I like Jimmy Fallon, but I think he's where he needs to be right now. If NBC didn't like the results it got with Conan, it will be worse with Jimmy, who skews even younger.

So Jimmy Fallon will be next to be screwed by Leno?

Letterman will have something to say about this for sure if (when) the announcement becomes official.

Last edited:
You're a day late and a Conan O' Brien short, NBC. The Tonight Show is dead as far as I'm concerned.

I love that Leno has the gall to throw mud at NBC for forcing him out. Whatever bad shape they're in now, you've had a big part in, buddy.

Knowing Leno, he'll return to the Tonight Show within a month of leaving again.

He's probably building Jay Leno Robot Clones to prevent anyone else from taking over the Tonight Show.

I personally have nothing against Jay because NBC is more to blame for botching the changing of the Tonight Show. Ratings have dropped (yet are still 1st in the ratings) mainly because they have no shows that keeps people watching local news and then the Tonight Show. You also have to look at the trend that most people just don't watch late-night talk shows any more since there are just so many other options now.

The first time they forced Jay out, he still had time left on his contract. He was talking to other networks about working but NBC wouldn't let him out. Jay's a workaholic so he didn't want to get paychecks for nothing. He forced NBC's hand to either let him keep working at NBC or he'd sue them to get out. NBC relented and gave him his own show at 10 PM, which tanked Conan's ratings. With no other options, they turned to Jay again, but now without a year of 10 PM shows developed.

Some talk that they are thinking about moving the actual Tonight Show to NYC as well. Not so sure about that.

The Tonight show was NYC to begin with, and I wouldnt mind it going back to its roots. Its been in LA for long enough.

If NBC were actually smart about this ordeal, they would've had Coco, who skews toward a young demographic, AND Fallon.

Lorne's gone mad
I don't know what he's thinking either. Probably only saying that due to Fallon's SNL ties. No way would I equate Fallon to Carson since Carson had such natural delivery of material while a lot of Jimmy's material is just so forced and he cracks up way too easily in skits. Jimmy really needs a sidekick to play off and the one he does have (Higgins) is annoying and rather unfunny. Jimmy's best shows are when Justin Timberlake is on, but I doubt you could get him long-term to keep that high-level of comedy up.

I more I hear about this, the more I think this is a just a strategic leak by either Leno or NBC to improve their respective positions.

I don't know what he's thinking either. Probably only saying that due to Fallon's SNL ties. No way would I equate Fallon to Carson since Carson had such natural delivery of material while a lot of Jimmy's material is just so forced and he cracks up way too easily in skits. Jimmy really needs a sidekick to play off and the one he does have (Higgins) is annoying and rather unfunny. Jimmy's best shows are when Justin Timberlake is on, but I doubt you could get him long-term to keep that high-level of comedy up.

Fallon's comedy tends to lean towards observational humor

"Hey remember the AOL modem sound?! I'm putting that in a joke"

I prefer if the Tonight show remain in LA, Letterman is alreay in NY and then they'll have conflicting schedules with the celebrities.

Fallon won't stand a chance in hell of being successful with the Tonight Show unless NBC is willing to completely let Jay go. Otherwise, it will become another Conan situation where the new guy isn't able to establish himself because the old guy won't get off the stage.

Fallon won't stand a chance in hell of being successful with the Tonight Show unless NBC is willing to completely let Jay go. Otherwise, it will become another Conan situation where the new guy isn't able to establish himself because the old guy won't get off the stage.

Given the **** he's been throwing NBC's way during his monologues, I think that's the case.

Another non surprise. When Fallon was rumored for the Tonight Show, Seth's name popped straight up for the "late night" spot.

Ironically, Seth Myers would be a better choice for the Tonight Show than Fallon, at least from a business perspective.

I think Fallon is great, but the only audience that gets him are Millenials and younger, which makes his demographic appeal even more narrow than Conan's.

Remember: while it is always good to skew younger, a complete focus on the Gen Y demographic--which is cash-poor, doesn't watch shows on actual televisions and doesn't like to buy things in traditional ways--is not a great business model. Unless you want to run nothing by mobile device and video game ads for an entire hour's programming.

Just means I watched Craig Ferguson more. I really can't stand Seth. I don't know why NBC is hitching their wagons to SNL alum when there are probably others that could get the job done. They just have no faith in going outside the company any more and would sort of have a bit of inbreed/nepotism on their variety and late night shows.

Leno is going to fight to keep the Tonight Show. What's to say he won't do to Jimmy Fallon what he did to Conan? What's to prevent Leno from screwing Fallon like he did with Conan?

wow conan does late night fo near 20 years and finally gets the tonight show only to be screwed out of it. meanwhile fallon has late night for not even 5 years and he gets the tonight show. ****ing nbc i swear.

Leno is going to fight to keep the Tonight Show. What's to say he won't do to Jimmy Fallon what he did to Conan? What's to prevent Leno from screwing Fallon like he did with Conan?

Leno will probably play the fall guy AGAIN

Exec- Fallon's not doing so well. Do you want to come back?

Leno-Okay yeah sure

When the proper response would have been "Hell NO!"

He did the same thing when Conan was tanking.

Letterman will have something to say about this for sure on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"