The Twins: Racist?

Discussion in 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' started by Darthkush, Jun 22, 2009.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Its fine you can laugh at them CelticPredator. People laughed at minstrel shows and Amos & Andy as well.

2. Jake Cassidy

Jake Cassidy Well-Known Member

I laughed at 'The Exorcist'. Freakin' hilarious. :woot:

I thought the Twins were funny, too. So what?

3. oakzap425

oakzap425 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I didn't really see any of the tv spots, so I'd never heard the twins. Then I read this stuff before going in this morning. I left confused. I was waiting for racism. I hear just as many other races talk just like this. But the first thought is that Bay and Co. are insulting black people? I more offended by that train of thought, which has it's own racist implications, than I was by the twins. I think it's more a look at todays youth, than black people in general.

4. TheVileOne

What does it say about the screenwriters than Oakzap after their comments?

5. oakzap425

... I don't understand this question...

6. Eddie Brock

Eddie Brock Golden Domer

*slow clap*

7. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

Try the same yourself....discuss without the namecalling.

8. TheVileOne

Orci and Kurtzman commented on the twins characters:

9. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

I believe it's meant to be: "What does it say about the screenwriters, then, Oazap, after their comments?"

10. oakzap425

Ah. Thank you.

11. oakzap425

That's fine. They have their opinions. But as a black person, I didn't find it offensive. It was funny, which was what it was meant to be. This is my opinion, and just as the sc's say, people are entitled to be offended or to not be offended, and I wasn't, because I'm of the mindset that just as mean white, hispanic, and asians, can speak just as ignorantly, slang or none, as these so-called black characters.

12. Darthkush

Darthkush Avenger

Their comments speak volumes.

Saw it and yeah, they're a tad racist. They're not in it enough for it to be a big deal though. The biggest problem is that they're just really annoying. Like Jar Jar levels.

Basically they were minstrels that were a waste of fx that could've gone to having another Autobot character or more time for Ironhide or Ratchet.

13. The Guard

So essentially, any person or character who acts like that is a minstrel show now?

Criminy.

I still think that many of you simply don't understand what racism entails.

14. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I just think they're just stupid characters that lack any charm, not racists.

15. TheVileOne

I guess Orci and Kurtzman don't understand either then.

16. Darthkush

Darthkush Avenger

As a black man who has experienced it first hand I can tell you I know every bit of what it entails.

And I'm not trying to infer that you have to be black or a minority to understand racism but I think it's possible that it can be hard for those who haven't experienced it to really know what seeing these kind of depictions can feel like. Frankly this kind of depiction has no place in a Transformer film.

I'm more amazed that ANYBODY can think they were supposed to be hillbillies. THAT is really shocking.

17. The Black Goo

The Black Goo I hate you...so much...

I can agree that they are ghetto personalities, but not necessarily ghetto black stereotypes. You know there are people in Texas that could also fit your aforementioned description.

I saw it and I never thought anything of it. I felt they were there for comedic relief, it seems Bay was going for more humor this time around.

18. The Guard

Ok.

Tell me this, then. When you have gone out in the world, do you ever see black people or a person of any other race acting like the Twins to, on any level?

I understand what you're getting at in terms of the impact of racism...but these types of depictions make people feel like what, exactly? Why?

That I won't argue with. It's a pretty pointless addition to Transformers lore at the expense of other, more deserving elements.

I don't think anyone thought they were rednecks, though there was a perceivable bit of redneck to some of the voicework.

19. jakinj

jakinj Well-Known Member

hahaha ya exactly. People can condemn or defend the validity of the racism claims--

The twins still SUCK.

Why in God's name anyone wouldn't give Ironhide, Sideswipe, Soundwave, or Ravage more screentime is beyond me.

20. The Guard

Not that the writers of the movie apparently did either, mind you.

21. Episode29

Episode29 Hooper Drives The Boat!

Fine. But that is a contemporary reading. The problem is that the twins mirror the type of caricatures often presented in the early-mid 1900's. There is a historical pretext for what the twins are being accused of representing. It's not a simple "they're hip-hop kids" argument.

22. Episode29

Episode29 Hooper Drives The Boat!

23. CelticPredator

CelticPredator Well-Known Member

He's been attacking us since the movie came out. Thats not fair. He needs to STOP acting like a whatever. I'd LOVE to discuss without name calling, and I have...but this is annoying.

And its not just name calling, its just these jerky remakers from these guys.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  24. Darthkush

Darthkush Avenger

A. Yes and No. Some black people do act like that...to an extent. But ultimately no. This felt more like an interpretation by someone who's never met an actual black person but has seen them on tv. "We's don't do much reading?" NEVER.

B. Makes them feel insulted. Hell, I was offended in the beginning when that Decepticon went through that building and that asian man was eating rice with a chopstick. It was like...wtf? WHY is this here? I may not be asian, but I've been friends with many of them, dated more and am engaged to one now. I felt bad too. I don't like seeing super stereotypes like this about any race.

C. We're agreed on that one.

D. Oh there are QUITE a few people on this thread who claimed they were rednecks(that has died down some since more have seen the film and it's become undeniable who they were REALLY supposed to be). As for the voicework, I think that's more because Tom Kenny's delivery is kind of high and whiny(not unlike his Spongebob voice). There was a couple and their kid who even realized it was Spongebob's voice at one point.

25. CelticPredator

CelticPredator Well-Known Member

Huh...an asian man in China. Racist bay!