The Ultimate DC RPG - Season III

6332727232_86ae1eff7a.jpg

Oswald watches continuing coverage of the Wayne Hospitalization.

He calls his source in the Hospital and says, "Latest."

His source says, "It's a fluid situation. The doctors are bickering amongst themselves they're trying to get him stablized. If they keep this up Wayne's a goner. I know this much it's a miracle he's lasted this long. If it was anyone else no way they go this far to keep him alive they would've been calling for a Priest. They just want to keep that annual contribution from Wayne coming in."

Oswald says, "Well you get what you pay for, but all that being said keep me in the loop if anything happens."

Oswald hangs up the phone, fixes a drink , looks down on Main Street, and sees all the properties that Wayne owns.

He raises his glass and says, "Soon you will all be mine."

Oswald downs his drink and gets ready for the opening of the lounge for the P-Diddy video shoot.

Last edited:
batman9.png

OOC: Skipping ahead a few days to keep things moving. I'm going to assume the Catwoman/Red Hood stuff is happening before this.

Since the attack on Mister Wayne, life has been....complicated. Alfred and I were able to get him to a hospital in one piece; as far as I know, his condition is still critical. Once we were sure he was being treated, Alfred sent me home, partly to calm Miss Cooper down, but I think mostly because he doesn't think I'm ready to deal with how bad the situation is.

I think he knows a little about what I've been doing for the last year when no one was looking, but there's know way he knows even half of the horrific things I've seen. Even so, he's right; I really don't know how to deal with the fact that the man who took me in after I lost my Dad is fighting for his life, and probably losing.

Another thing I don't know how to deal with is the attention from the media. Mister Wayne was....is....a pretty major celebrity in this city, so naturally, the press has been hounding us for comments about the home invasion. They've been ringing Miss Cooper's phone off the hook, to the point where she's unplugged it from the wall. Reporters and photographers have strolled right in to Bruce's penthouse in the middle of repairing the damage done, trying to get a word from Alfred. Nobody made this much fuss when my real father was murdered, but then, I guess he wasn't famous enough to matter.

Thankfully, I haven't run into any at school yet. It's my first day back since the night in the cemetery, and I can feel everyone's eyes on me as I sit down at my usual spot for lunch. While I've put on my best "do not talk to me" look and it's been able to keep most people away, there have also been a bunch of classmates and even teachers who just can't help but ask about it. Most of these people have never given me the time of day since I came to Gotham Heights, but now they feel like chatting. I know it's petty considering everything else going on, but I really, really wish they would just leave me alone.

"Hey,"
I hear Rachel Roth say as she sits down next to me, the only person who doesn't keep their distance.

"Hey," I say back.

We eat our lunch in silence, and as soon as she finishes her meal, she speaks up again.

"Are you....you know....okay?" she asks. Honestly, it's the first time since the attack that someone's asked about me, and not about Mister Wayne.

"I...I dunno, I--" I stammer, catching the lump in my throat. "Remember when I said I might be going away, and you told me not to do anything stupid?"

"......you did something stupid, then?"

"Very stupid,"
I nod. "A lot of very stupid things, in fact. I can't really......I don't want to get into it. Not where there are people listening, anyway."

Rachel nods to say she understands, but she couldn't. I may not have been the one who threw Mister Wayne off of the balcony, but it was because of me and my stupid misguided revenge that he wasn't able to fight back. He's hanging on by a thread, and so much of it is my fault.

"I don't know how much of it I can actually tell you," I say. "There's a lot of, y'know......stuff.....involved. And not just my own. I screwed up, really bad, and now.......I just.....can we talk about something else?"

"Sure,"
she says, not sure what else to say--mainly because I can't tell her what actually happened. "I just....I wanted to know how you were holding up."

"Well.....thanks,"
I say.

After a few agonizingly quiet minutes, she finally changes the subject.

"So I got a call over the weekend about my father," she says. "The guy called himself Sebastian. He was a friend of his, from the group he was a part of before he ran off. He said he had information about where my father is and how I can get in touch with him."

"Huh,"
I say. "That sounds kind of shady; are you sure you can trust him?"

"Not at all,"
Rachel answers. "He wanted to meet me this weekend, but I wasn't comfortable with that. I don't know anything about this Sebastian person; no way I'm meeting him in person after one phone call. I mean, for all I know he could just be some creep who stalks teenage girls with father issues. And even if he did know my father, I still don't know much about their group. I asked my Mom if she knew Sebastian, and she took away my phone."

"Ouch," I grin. "So, what are you going to do now?"

"I'm not sure,"
she says. "I really want some answers about my dad and why he left, but......I get a really bad feeling from that guy. I don't know....maybe some things are better off not knowing."

"Well, this may not have a lot of weight coming from me," I say, "but, well.......don't do anything stupid; if it seems like something's up....if you think you might, y'know, need help...."

"I'll be careful, Dick,"
she says, waving my offer away. "Still, thanks."

"Any time,"
I say. Then, after a moment, I continue. "So...um....would you be cool with hanging out with me some time, after school?"

Rachel looks at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Define 'hanging out,'" she says skeptically. As soon as she looks me in the eye, my ability to speak turns to mush.

"Well, I mean, I don't mean like a date or that kind of thing,"
I sputter. "I just mean, y'know, watch TV, talk about stuff, just...hanging out. To get our minds off of all the other stuff we've got going on. It doesn't have to be, y'know...."

"I'd like that,"
she says. "I'm going to an art exhibition tomorrow night if you want to come along."

"That, um, that sounds good."

"Cool,"
she says, satisfied. "It's at the Adams Gallery downtown, at six. I'll meet you there. You know, so people won't think we're on a date or anything like that."

"Cool,"
I manage to say, smiling for the first time in what feels like months.

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon and several other warriors return from yet another battle against the Agamons.

She walks into the tavern with some of her fellow warriors and removes her battle gear.

Rhiannon sits down as one of the warriors says, "I thought for sure we were dead this time, but Lady Rhiannon came up with a brilliant plan. I would've never thought of taking to the trees and assaulting the enemy from there so quickly."

Rhiannon says, "It was a good idea. I just wish I would've come up with it before 4 of our warriors were slaughtered. Their sacrifice gave us this victory."

She motions for the bar-maid to bring a round to their table. After they each receive a mug of ale she says, "To the fallen. May they now know peace."

They all raise their mugs and say, "To the fallen."

Just then someone flings up the door and says, "The Traveler is here. He is in the Town Square! Come quick!"

Everyone begins to file out of the tavern to see a black cloaked figure with a hood over his head on a stage in the town square talking about visions of what he has seen.

Rhiannon finds Laethwyn and stands next to him. They speak in almost whispers.

He asks, "When did you get back?"

Rhiannon replies, "A few moments ago. I missed you."

He replies, "I missed you too my Lady."

Rhiannon says, "Sorry I didn't come to the Castle right away to give you a briefing, but my troops and I felt we needed to honor the memory of some fallen comrades first."

Laethwyn says, "Understood. How many?"

Rhiannon replies, "Four. They were just raw recruits Laethwyn and they sacrificed themselves without hesitation." She shakes her head

Laethwyn says, "We will all remember their sacrifice this day, but for now this is most interesting."

Rhiannon says, "Yeah who is this Traveler? He seems to have the town in a pretty good grip."

Laethwyn says, "No one knows for sure who he is or where he comes from. He speaks of visions of the future, gives guidance, and tells fantastic stories of our past as well. He appears maybe twice every 3-4 years and some say he is well over 1,000 years old."

Rhiannon says, "Well I guess I'm right on time I've been here for about 3 and a half years."

The Traveler says, "There is one here who wasn't here last time. She has come from far away."

Rhiannon feels about every eye turn and look at her.

No I don't feel too self-conscious right now. I wish I had my powers back right now I'd find a nice corner and shrink away.

The Traveler says, "You Lady Rhiannon. I wish to speak with you in private. Walk with me. Fear not my friends I shall return!"

Rhiannon is frozen at first and Laethwyn says, "Go! This is a rare honor indeed. An audience with the Traveler is almost unheard of. My Great Grandfather is the only other person who has received this honor."

Rhiannon says, "I'm getting that. I'm trying to figure out how he knew my name?"

Laethwyn says, "He's the traveler. That's how."

Rhiannon replies, "Right. I keep forgetting that."

Rhiannon walks with the Traveler into the woods.

Once they are in the woods Rhiannon asks, "I gotta know one thing. How did you know my name?"

Traveler replies, "I know many things Dr. Rhiannon Fay Palmer of the Earth City Metropolis."

Rhiannon is stunned silent and stops. Traveler says, "I am well aware of how you came here. An over eager scientist with shrinking abilities and so forth. I was the one who made sure you didn't slam into the ground when you fell from the sky."

Rhiannon asks, "How? Just how do you..?"

Traveler says, "I am called Traveler for a reason. Many times I have watched your dimension or form of reality if you prefer. You in particular are most interesting. In your own dimension or reality you practice non-lethal methods, and yet here you have no issue with killing in combat."

Rhiannon says, "This is a war I am fighting to survive and to protect others."

Traveler says, "And what of Superman who calls the war in your place of origin the never ending battle? Isn't that another kind of warfare/"

Rhiannon replies, "It's different somehow. It just is. Unless you know what I've been through and seen you've got no right judge me."

Traveler says, "I did not mean to anger you. I am trying to learn more that is all. A new subject then; You care very deeply for Laethwyn, and he does for you."

Rhiannon says, "Very much. You should know that. It's kinda strange I had to take trip to wonderland to find my love."

Traveler asks, "So when are you going to tell him the truth about you?"

Rhiannon replies, "I don't know yet."

Traveler says, "Don't waste time. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, and if you are going to be with him he has a right to know the truth."

Rhiannon replies, "I know I just don't know how to tell him. I guess I'm waiting for the right moment."

Traveler says, "Straight forward is usually best, and he owes you his life. He is fair man just ask him to be open minded."

Rhiannon nods and they continue their walk making occasional remarks. Rhiannon tries to see his face but all she sees is a black hood.

I wonder how he sees out of that thing.

They finally return to the Town Square and Traveler says, "I found Lady Rhiannon to be a person of great character and leadership heed her wisdom it will one day help usher in a new era of peace in great turmoil."

Okay no pressure on me now.

Rhiannon walks back to Laethwyn and he says, "Tell me what was it like please I have to know what happened."

The Traveler begins telling more tales enthralling the gathered crowd and then gives a slight nod to Rhiannon.

He just bought me my moment.

Rhiannon nods to traveler and smiles.

She says to Laethwyn, "Let's go for a walk."

They walk through the woods and Rhiannon says, "Laethwyn you know I love you right?"

He says, "Yes I do."

Rhiannon replies, "Good because it's time you know the truth about me please just keep an open mind."

She proceeds to tell him everything. When she is done Laethwyn says, "Thank you for telling me everything. I believe what you've told me. It took a large measure of trust on your part. A trust I will never take for granted your secret is safe with me...my love."

The two move closer together and kiss.

I don't care if I ever get my powers back. I think I'm finally home.

Last edited:
batman9.png

Previously

IC: Vic Sage

"Naah, that's fine," I say into the phone. I'm in my car, waiting on Stan. Helena is on the other end of the phone, at the hospital. Her boss is in critical after some mysterious injury.

"It's fine. I'm meeting my old sergeant in a few minutes, I don't know how long we'll be....yeah....yeah, just a case. I should be done tonight and if you're still at the hospital, I'll swing by. Alright, see you soon. Bye."

I hang up as Stan parks his car by mine and gets out.

"Got the court order, Vic. Let's do this."

I follow behind Stan into Gotham Savings & Loans. He approaches a clerk and flashes a badge. "Sergeant Merkel, GCPD. I got a search and seizure warrant for a safety deposit box."

The clerk looks at the warrant and hands it back. "Hold on a moment, please."

It's a good thing I managed to catch this when I went through the contents of Driver's desk. There was a scrap of paper with a note on it. "Gotham Savings & Loan. Box 214, Account no. 04911819, PIN no. 2104"

Since Driver's dead, it was a breeze to get a warrant for the box. There's no telling what's in there, but it may be another clue.

"Gentleman," a man appears behind the counter. "May I see your warrant?"

Stan hands it over to the manager and he breezes through it. "Very well, follow me."

We follow the manager into the vault where the deposit boxes are. He walks over to box 214 and unlocks it, sliding the box out. Inside is a bound notebook and a burnt CD.

"Huh."

Stan pulls them out of the box and nods at the manager. "Thank you, sir."

We follow him out the bank and into the street. We're walking two our cars when his phone rings.

"Hello?...What?...Seriously? Goddammit! Okay, I'll be there."

He hangs up and hands me the notebook and CD.

"Two cops got killed in a botched raid. They're calling all hands on deck for Homicide. I gotta go. Let me know what you find."

"I will."

Merkel jumps into his car and peels off, hitting the lights and tearing down the street. I walk over to my car and get inside. I take the CD and slide it into the player.

"....Test, test, one, two three......My name is Detective Marcus Driver, badge number 09832. If you're listening to this, that means I'm dead or in prison. Before we start, all you need to know is that all of this, every bit of this mess, is the fault of Edward Nygma..."

IC: Jim Gordon

Going on twelve hours and and there's still no sign of Nygma. All the patrols are out there, searching for him. I'm holed up in my office, looking out at the skyline from my wheelchair. The lights of the city are beginning to come on as the sun sinks over the horizon. I've always loved this view, it's where I come to think.

There's no telling how many cases I've cracked by gazing out the window and thinking it over, first when I was a rookie detective on the fourth floor, then as a sergeant in my office in the Eastern. Then as a lieutenant and captain on the seventh floor. And now here, as commissioner.

This is where I've achieved some of my greatest victories, and where I've ruined countless lives. All in the name of the city, all in the name of keeping it safe. My old service revolver is in the desk drawer. With Nygma preparing to hand my head on platter to the FBI, maybe this is a fitting place to end it all? It wouldn't hurt. Just squeeze the trigger and I'm gone. I wheel over to the desk and open the drawer, I look down at the gun and reach for it.

"Jim," Sarah says from the doorway. I jump, startled and look at her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, babe," I say as I close the desk drawer. "You just sneaked up on me."

"I found out exactly what that slip of paper is that was left on your desk. It's a safety deposit box from Gotham Savings and Loans. The account is in the name of Marcus Driver."

With the mention of Driver's name, everything clicks into place and my memory comes rushing back.

"Oh, my God, Sarah! You have to get to that box right now!"

"What is it, Jim?"

"No time, just go to the bank now."

"It's closed. They closed for the day."

"I don't care! Call the bank manager and get him back there to open it up. Call Judge Fayden and get a warrant, whatever it takes! I want what's inside the box before the night's over!"

Sarah nods and runs out. My heart is racing. I reach for the phone on my desk and dial a number.

"Hello?"

"Bullock, it's Gordon. Meet me in my office right now. I've got a plan."

I hang up the phone before he can answer. This is it. My chance to get out of this alive and without any bodies.

******​

IC: Edward Nygma

I look around the windowless room, like an interrogation room. This time, I'm on the side the criminals sit at. I guess this is part of it all, the first step is admitting I'm a criminal.

On the table in front of me is a contract. It has all my wishes listed. In return for my testimony I will get: Full immunity from criminal prosecution, entrance into the Witness Relocation Program, and a monthly stipend as a FBI consultant for future cases.

In short: My ticket out of this ****ing hellhole.

Agent Spencer walks in and takes a seat across the table from me.

"Does everything look alright?"

"Yes, but two minor things: I want to relocate to somewhere far from here. Oregon or Arizona. Also, I want 24 hours to settle my debts and accounts. After we're done, I leave here and come back tomorrow night for good."

"The answer to your first question is something you'll have to take up with the Marshal Service. With your second question, that's a no."

I look straight ahead, past Spencer and into the two-way mirror behind her. I know they're watching, FBI agents and God knows who else.

"Then no testimony. I want 24 hours. Doesn't matter what happens to me, I'll keep my nose out of trouble and I'm all yours."

Spencer looks back at the glass and shrugs.

"Fine," Matthews, her boss, booms over the intercom in the ceiling of the room. "24 hours, Nygma. You screw us over and that's it. You'll be in jail right alongside Gordon."

I nod and give Matthews a semi-salute from behind the glass. I take the pen and sign the contract in my sprawling signature.

Spencer pulls out a digital recorder and starts it, she slides it to the middle of the table.

"Official FBI interview with Inspector Edward Nygma, GCPD. Present are FBI Special Agent Kate Spencer. Please, state your full name and rank..."

I take a deep breath and lean forward nervously. "Edward Frank Nygma, Detective Inspector and Chief of Detectives, Gotham City Police Department."

"Anytime you're ready. Start from the beginning, and tell it all. Anything you leave out voids the deal."

I take another deep breath and lick my lips. They're dry, very dry. I can feel the nervous pit in my stomach. After all this time, all the lies that have been swept under the rug, all the things I've had to do to survive. I've never told a soul...

Except now.

I stay silent for a few minutes, contemplating what to say and how to say it. Spencer fidgets and looks back at the glass when I finally start to talk.

"I guess...I guess this all started the night Black Mask was killed. One punch started it all..."

"...when I walked in, Umberto Maroni was dead. Selina had shot him. She was crying and afraid. I helped her get rid of his body, I chopped him up into teeny, tiny parts and dumped him in Slaughter Swamp..."

"...Michael Akins became Holiday because of what Gordon and his corrupt drug unit did to him. He was honest, he threatened to inform on them and they destroyed his life..."

"...I pulled strings and made a deal with Gordon: I would destroy Akins' testimony and sweep his real motive under the rug, he would promote me to Chief of Detectives. He bought my silence, I let him buy my silence. I blackmailed Vic Sage into keep quiet. He slugged me and quit...Can't say that I blame him..."

"...While everyone was busy at the wedding, Maroni turn tail and ran. He saw me coming for him...but he didn't expect me to be waiting for him in the office when he got there...he begged me for mercy...I shoved him out his office building and watched him go splat."

The part involving Dent comes next...Nobody knows about it. Nobody needs to know about it. I press on, avoiding that part.

"Bette Kane's murder haunted me, haunted Driver as well...Kate Kane and I started ****ing each other while Driver worked the case. He solved it and it killed him..."

"I shot Harold Kane four times in the head...and then Kate I shot four times in the chest, each bullet for the people they killed..."

"...Bane had me on the ground, close to killing me. I begged for mercy, I pleaded for it. I made a deal. I would give him Batman..."

"...Crowe turned and pointed his shotgun at me, nearly killed me. I killed him and his partner, Davies in return. That was twelve hours to go."

I look up at Spencer and see the repulsed looked on her face.

"And I think that brings you up to speed."

She stares, almost shocked and amazed.

"I thought...I thought all you were doing was ripping off drug dealers, stealing evidence and selling it. Not this!"

"Please,"
I sneer. "You got enough for Gordon and then some."

I stand up and look at the mirror.

"Full immunity for all that. And 24 hours starting now."

Spencer looks up at me and shakes her head as she turns off the recorder.

"You're sick, you're twisted. The fact that I gave scum like you full immunity will ruin me!"

I stare down at Spencer and shrug.

"I've done worse."

I breeze out of the interrogation room without a look back.

Out to my car, I pull out my keys and begin to unlock the door when footsteps come up from behind. I turn around just in time to see Bullock, a cattle prod in his hands. The prod strikes me in the ribs and I convulse all over before I drop to the ground. Bullock brings his foot down on my head and everything goes black.

The sack over my head is starting to chafe. I'm still a little woozy. A cattle prod to the gut will do that to you. I've lost track of time. Handcuffed and in the back of this van, I could be halfway to Opal City for all I know. The roads turn bumpy and stay that way for the last five minutes of the trip. The driver puts the car in park and yanks me out. I hear bugs and smell the stink of the mud and stagnant water.

Oh, God...I'm in Slaughter Swamp.

The man behind me puts his hands on my shoulders and drives me to my knees. He yanks the sack off and the headlights of a car in front of me are right in my face.

"I'm so disappointed in you, Eddie," a voice wheezes on the other side of the lights. I hear the squeak of something being pushed through the mud and the voice's owner comes into sight.

Jim Gordon in a wheelchair being pushed by Harvey Bullock.

"I had such high goddamn hopes for us....but you ruined it. What you're getting, you deserve every damn bit of."

Funny thing is that he's not wrong. Just a few hours ago, I sold him out to the FBI. He's going to jail and I get off scot-free.

Bullock walks up to me and punches me in the face with brass knuckles on. I hear something snap as I fall into the mud. The nose that Batman broke just broke again. The blood's pouring out my nose, one of my back molars is broken and bleeding. Bullock grabs me by my hair and snaps my head back up. Gordon is staring at me intently.

"You've got twelve hours, Nygma. Leave town, don't go to the FBI. If you do, I promise you I will burn you."

The pain in my face and mouth is almost unbearable, but still...I chuckle.

"Hahahahahaha...HAHAHA! You don't get it you dumb son of a *****! I've already went to the FBI, I've got full immunity. I gave them everything. You're the one who's burned!"

"Leave. Town." Gordon says. "Or I promise you that you will suffer."

Bullock kicks me in the stomach. I dry heave and vomit a mix of my last meal and blood. Looking back up, I spit and hit Gordon in the face with it.

"Do your worst, it doesn't matter. My deal is set and my testimony is signed and notarized. You're ****ing done and you can't do anything about it. While you were in a coma, I ****ed you wife. She said I was the best she ever had. I've fantasized about ****ing your daughter. While you were out, I nearly killed you. How does that feel?! HUH?!"

Bullock brings the brass knuckles back across my head and everything goes black.

I come to a few hours later, laying in the back seat of my car. My face is aching and throbbing all over. It hurts to even breathe. Laying on my lap is a .38. There's a note attached to it.

"Nygma, leave town now, or put this to good use."

I pick the gun up and open the cylinder. There's one bullet in it. The message is clear, but **** their message. This one bullet is meant for only one man.

Jim Gordon.

And they just gave me a gun that can't be traced back to me at all. Only a few more hours before I go into FBI custody. **** their case, my deal is done, so **** them. Tonight, Gordon dies by my hand.

******​

After the foray into Slaughter Swamp, Bullock brings me back to Gotham Central. Despite what he said, I think we put a good scare into him. In a little while, all his cards are gonna go up in smoke. He'll have no choice but to run.

"Jim," Sarah says from the doorway. I turn around to face her. I think about what Nygma said in the swamp, about what he did with her. That's a lie, it has to be. We can worry about that later, there's more pressing needs right now.

"What was in the box?" I urgently say.

"Jim...Jim, the box was empty."

My stomach drops and a cold pit begins to form in it. No...

"It can't be! It had to have something in it!"

"It was empty, Jim, empty...What was in it?"

"That was our ticket out of this," I moan. "Our one chance at survival. Nygma's already told the FBI at us...he's won."

I hang my head and stare at the floor.

"No..." I whisper out. "No, no, no, NO!!" I scream, my whispers turning into shouts. I break down, putting my head in my hands and crying.

"Jim," Sarah says reassuringly, touching my shoulder.

"No!" I scream out, shaking away her hand. "We're gonna spend the rest of our lives in prison, Barbara will go into foster care. All those criminals, all those people we put away, they're going to eat us alive Sarah!"

"What do we do?"

I look at the bottom drawer of my desk and then look back up at her.

"There's another way..."

******​

Inside my apartment, I put Driver's notebook down next to the CD. I've listened to the CD twice now, and read through the notebook three times.

It's all there, everything anyone would need. My work on the Kane case, coupled with Driver's findings puts it all together. That case is down and then some.

But his other testimony, that's the end of it. I know Stan hired me to work the case, but this is something the GCPD can't be trusted with. I look over at the business card laying on the coffee table and pick it up. Pulling out my phone, I dial the number on the card.

"Hello?"

"Special Agent Spencer? This is Vic Sage. I have some information you might want."

"Unbelievable," said the voice of Lex Luthor over the encrypted phone. "Absolutely unbelievable, the nerve you've got."

"Fortune favors the bold, my friend," said Vandal Savage smugly. "You wanted me to disrupt and distract the Justice League. They'll be far too busy trying to stop a super-powered world war to notice what you've got in store."

"It took two and a half years of work to install a Secretary General loyal to the Society," Luthor grumbled. "And you and your cohorts made off with seven hundred billion dollars?! Half of that was Society money!"

"It still is," Savage corrected him. "Besides, once Superman and his friends are dead and the human race is singing your praises, you'll see it as money well spent."

"Still, that stunt of yours cost us, and you're already causing me more trouble than your worth," Luthor warned. "Don't think there won't be consequences, Savage."

"Might I remind you, Lex," Savage said, "that I'm working with you, not for you. You may be the smartest man in the room, but you're hardly the first person who thought they could control me. i'm doing this because it furthers our goals, but don't think that I'm only interested in being a noise-maker for you and your new friend the robot from space."

There was a long pause before Luthor spoke again.

"We'll talk again soon," he said flatly before hanging up.

Vandal Savage put his phone away, as a flash of green light from Professor Ivo's teleporter transported the fellow members of the Legion of Doom to him.

"So," he said with a welcoming smile, "how was everyone's vacation?"

"Unfulfilling," said Ivo. "Still no sign of my prize creation. Once he is returned to me, though..."

"I had quite the entertaining time," said Killer Frost. "I caught up with some old friends.....who turned me in to the police in our last job. It was nice making sure they got what they had coming."

"I was hoping I could see the looks on the League's faces,"
the Cheetah grinned. "Especially my favorite prey..."

"Hrrrmmmm," mumbled Solomon Grundy absently.

"So what are we doing here, Savage?" asked the Atomic Skull. "Out of all the places to meet after taking more money than we'll ever need....why a swamp?"

"I agree; this is hardly a fitting place for superior beings such as us," said Maxie Zeus, a look of disgust on his face.

"Trust me, friends," said Savage, "first impressions are not always the most important. While you spent your shares of the money enjoying yourselves, I've been busy. Recruiting new members and reserves for the fight against the League. Acquiring resources to move anywhere we want. Most importantly, however, I've been constructing a base of operations, a fortress that can withstand any possible counterattack, and allow us to strike any time and any place we choose."

Savage pulled a small controller from his pocket, and pressed a button. The swamp rumbled and the water roiled, and out of the muck and filth rose an enormous structure, a sinister black dome that towered over them.

"Ladies, gentlemen....."

dco_mmo_legion_of_doom_hq_clr_by_chuckdee-d4h34vc.jpg

"....welcome home."

Reflection of the scope gave the shooter away. This is good for me because now I have the upper hand. Firing the grappling hook at close ranger on the shooter’s chin will render him useless just enough for me to take out the others on the roof and then make my way inside to save the girl.

I grab two throwing disc from my utility belt as I stand in the darkest corner of the room along with the kidnappers. They are unaware of my presence. Getting inside the room was a bit easier than I thought it was going to be. I assume they must have thought that with the guys on the roof they won’t have to worry about someone sneaking in, a mistake they will soon regret. I’d broken bones on five men before I even got in this room. It started with the two gunmen on the roof. I felt myself crossing the line.

linql.jpg

I then throw the disc at the source of what little light that was in the room. As the disc takes out the light bulbs I watch as terror and shock takes a hold of them. But is there even a line to cross anymore? Does it even matter? They pull out their guns and that’s when I make my move, in this position I must be the aggressor. I analyze the situation and then act. Four targets in the room, three are armed. The fourth isn’t running. That’s a red flag.

76378388.jpg

The first move I make is I quickly make it to the first thug with the gun and before he can even realize what’s going on I quickly hit him with a straight right to his nose. Unknowingly he fires off his gun next to my face good thing it wasn’t in front of me. The gun fire warns and reveals to the guy to my left my position. I jump in mid air and deliver a jump kick to my first victim chest pushing off of him and sending him and myself across the room in different directions. Right as my made my move the second gunmen’s bullets barley missed me. Once my back hit the floor I quickly do a handspring back to my feet and reach in my utility belt once again but this time instead of a regular throwing disc I grab an explosive one.

While running towards the wall I can hear the bullets from the second gunmen just zipping pass me. Swiftly I fling the disc to the wall. I jump threw the air right after I had release the disc and right away as the disc hit the wall it exploded and I went threw the hole it creates. In the other room I make my way next to the opening. He charges the gap firing off his weapon letting bullets fly. He aims his hand threw the space and I immediately disarm him and judo flip him into the room with me. Right when his back slams against the ground I fallow up with a left punch to his face knocking him unconscious.

There are only two left now which makes my job a lot easier. I over hear them having a conversation.

“Deal with this fool.”

“You might want to leave boss.”

This is a good news bad news situation I been looking for the boss man for some time but it seems that he knows when to call it quits. He’s heading towards the exit which means the last guy is left with the girl.

“You might as well show yourself or the girl is toast.”

Threaten me is not a smart move and especially since he is alone but since he is alone there is no need for the shadows and I can’t risk her life. I enter the room and see the girl laying down on the floor right behind him. While looking at him my tactical sense kicks in. He is some kind of cyborg and his hand are synthetic filled with fuel. A guy who can release fire from his hands huh? No wonder why he was left to deal with me but no use he will fail.

“You’re dead, hero. What are you supposed to be anyways, a guardian? Get ready to burn.” He says as hands get set aflame.

He pulls his right band back and then swings it forward to strike me but with my rapid relaxes I stop his fist with my hand.

faceog.jpg

“Burn? I don’t think so. Get ready to bleed.”

“What?”

I head bunt him in his face smashing his glasses and his nose. He falls backward holds his face as I make my way to the young girl. I grab her in my arm and reach into my belt and drop leave a little girt.

“Since you like to play with fire how bout you play with theses.”

We jump out of the window as the room explodes and I shot my grappling hook to swing to safety.

123ouh.jpg

A couple of weeks have passed, since the accident. The school was shocked. Five stars of the football team killed. The more neanderthal students were just upset at what it meant for the team. Thankfully, Chloe wasn't one. Things with Vic weren't really serious yet, but still hurt dearly. But Chloe's the best friend a girl could ask for, but still I keep my secret. Vic invited me out with him that night. I declined because I didn't want to deal with the throngs of girls pawning over him. If I'd have gone with them, I could have saved them.

As Linda I've thrown myself into my studies. As Supergirl? I've taken my aggressions out on criminals. It's a very relieving form of therapy. But right now I'm just sitting in a classroom listening to Professor Swan go on about economics. Good god this is boring. Doesn't help matters much that my desk is by the window. Some days I just want to skip and take to the skies. Then I remember that it's college and I pay for every minute I'm here.

"Sigh."

"What was that Miss Danvers?"

"Um, just interested in how risk aversion affects the risk heavy industries?"

"Well if you paid attention properly, I wouldn't have to explain it multiple times."

I keep my sigh internal this time... What a windbag.

Once the class is over I head back to my dorm. I plan on changing real quick and heading to the sky. What I don't expect is Chlo. She's supposed to be in class. She's not.

"How was econ?"

"God I hate Swan. He's a pompous, egotistical ass."

"Again?"

I sigh and drop onto my bed, as I start to tell her about my day and listen to hers. I'll just wait until later to patrol, I guess.
Turns out her class was cancelled. Her professor didn't show for her Introduction to Graphic Arts class. A Professor Tycho. She called him one of those flaky computer guys. We talked for a couple hours and she went to go get food, while I turned on the news. Great Rao. There are ROBOTS ATTACKING MIDTOWN. FREAKING ANIME ROBOTS! Just what I needed!

I quickly scribble a note telling Chlo that I was gonna go do some research at the public library, change into my costume and take off towards the robot attack.

The news footage didn't do it justice. These things are straight out of a Michael Bay crapfest!

I barrel into the nearest robot and only do enough to stagger it. Well that and turn it's attention to me. The punch takes me a bit off guard and sends me flying backward several meters before I right myself. Hmm. Stronger than they first appeared. I do a silent count. There are four of them. All slightly different, but same basic design. And all four have turned their attention to me. Good. Let's see what they can do.

Doesn't take long to find out some more of what they have, as one blasts me with a laser from it's palm. Doesn't really hurt, but it does peeve me off. That's another cape I'm going to have to replace.

"Okay. You done made me mad. It's go time."

I fly at the one that shot me, and grab the convenient piping on it's back. It's a bit heavy, but I haul it into the air. I can feel it struggle against me, and the other three launch themselves after me. Awesome. They can fly. At least that makes this part easier. I spin and throw the one I'm carrying as hard as I can to the east, over the ocean, then take off after it. I smile as the other three follow. About a half mile over the bay, the robot I threw rights himself and starts hurtling back towards me. I meet it at full momentum, and this time do significant damage. Like a hole in it's torso, damage. It drops, once more inanimate into the water below, whatever left of it's electric life shorting out as it does so. I don't have a lot of time to relax though, as the other three converge on me.

Oswald finishes ushering out the video crew from the lounge.

Once they have left he hands the certified check to his accountant and says, "Deposit this into the foundation. It's good P-R for both Diddy and myself."

They walk back to Oswald's office and he closes the door and hands him a large suitcase full of cash and says, "Take the jet to the Bahamas deposit the entire sum."

His accountant asks, "The auction went well sir?"

Oswald crosses to his Aviary area and replies, "Better than I hoped. The bidding for the left over items started at 10 million and ended at 35 million. A huge profit margin for me."

He begins feeding Titan and petting him. After that he walks over to his parrot Ellington and perches him on his shoulder and begins talking to him and Ellington squawks his approval. Oswald feeds him a couple of pistachios.

Oswald looks at his accountant and says, "On second thought. Take a couple of the cash wraps for yourself and enjoy the week at the Villa. Take your girlfriend with you have a good time. I'll call the villa and tell them you'll be there tonight. Just make sure you take care of the deposit in the next 24 hours.."

The accountant says, "I will sir. I will. and thank you Mr. Cobblepot. Thank you indeed."

Oswald nods and says, "You've earned some downtime my dear friend. Enjoy it besides..." He opens up the Gotham Globe and sees the latest on Bruce Wayne being in critical condition and says, "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas."

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon sits in her room in the castle as she looks out over the land from her window lost in her thoughts.

As the wise sage Forrest Gump once said, 'Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get.' Well if that is true since I arrived here it's pretty much been a box of Godivas. The whole war thing not withstanding and the fact I've killed a lot of people in a civil war that has been going on for generations. Laethwyn has told me all about the war and its history and I still am struggling with reconciling myself to what has happened and what I'm doing. I've been wrestling with these issues since I arrived here 8 years ago.

Just then there is a knock at her door and Rhiannon says, "It's open. Come in."

Standing in the open door is an old man dressed in fine silk and wearing a cloak. He says, "My name is Paradeck I am Laethwyn's great grandfather and I wish to speak with you my Lady."

Rhiannon says, "Sure of course come on in."

He enters the room and closes the door and Rhiannon says, "Please have a seat. Can I have the servants get you anything?"

Paradeck says, "No thank you my lady I'm just looking to get to know woman who will be marrying my Great-Grandson in 3 days a little better besides what Laethwyn has told me and the stories from the combat field."

Rhiannon says, "What you see is pretty much what you get?"

Paradeck asks, "Tell me what of your audiences with The Traveler? He seems to have taken a great interest in you."

Rhiannon replies, "I tell him about where I came, what I'm doing here things of that nature. What was yours like?"

Paradeck replies, "He told me to trust in the one who wore a symbol like this one..." he shows her a ring with something that looks like her Atom Symbol "and that it would be a symbol to one day inspire others to follow and lead us to peace and prosperity. I had it grafted into our coat of arms many many years ago. I never have told anyone about my audience with the Traveler until now. I feel you can understand something like this."

Rhiannon bows her head and closes her eyes. She gathers herself and says, "More than you know Paradeck." She opens her dresser drawer and shows Paradeck her Atom costume.

He is visibly stunned and says, "You. You're the one the Traveler spoke of. The one who would fall from the sky and lead us one day."

Rhiannon puts the costume away and closes the drawer and says quietly, "With all of this talk about being the one I should've said my name was Neo or Anakin."

Paradeck says to her, "We've been waiting for you for years to arrive."

Rhiannon says, "That's great but why me? Where is this great warrior leader everyone is talking about? Because I'm sorry but I don't see her. I've got enough issues with my life. I'm not sure traveler has the right one."

Paradeck stands and says, "Oh I'm sure he has the right one. I see greatness in you Lady Rhiannon it is there. One day you too will see it as well. All in time."

He bows and says, "It was an honor to speak with you."

Rhiannon says, "Likewise."

Paradeck leaves and closes the door. Rhiannon turns and faces the window again.

Without turning around she says, "I wish I knew what everyone was seeing in me, so that I can see what they see."

Traveler says, "As Paradeck said all in time. One day you will dawn the colors of The Atom and with your sword you will do what you were destined to do."

Rhiannon says, "Is your real name Morpheus?"

Traveler says, "No it is not. I will be leaving soon and you will not see me again for a very long time. Your union with Laethwyn will be a most blessed one and I will take great joy in watching it in the coming years."

Rhiannon turns and asks, "But what about me being the chosen one and all that?"

Traveler replies, "That is a road only you can walk. It is time for you take that first real step in your union with Laethwyn. Know this though everything you've been through in your life from the moment you gained your powers until now has been leading up to this part of your life. Act with grace and strength and never forget what you have learned."

He steps towards Rhiannon and says, "Be a blessing to all you care for and who need you. To those who would oppose you destroy without hesitation. Above all else know that you are a hero in this realm and in your place of origin. You have every right to stand alongside the greatest of them all."

He touches her cheek and says, "Farewell."

The Traveler fades from sight and Rhiannon stands there for a moment. She crosses back to the window and looks out again.

My only regret right now. Mom is not here. Not only could I use her guidance, but my wedding is in 3 days and she loves to cry.

Last edited:
batman9.png

Previously

The sack over my head is starting to chafe. I'm still a little woozy. A cattle prod to the gut will do that to you. I've lost track of time. Handcuffed and in the back of this van, I could be halfway to Opal City for all I know. The roads turn bumpy and stay that way for the last five minutes of the trip. The driver puts the car in park and yanks me out. I hear bugs and smell the stink of the mud and stagnant water.

Oh, God...I'm in Slaughter Swamp.

The man behind me puts his hands on my shoulders and drives me to my knees. He yanks the sack off and the headlights of a car in front of me are right in my face.

"I'm so disappointed in you, Eddie," a voice wheezes on the other side of the lights. I hear the squeak of something being pushed through the mud and the voice's owner comes into sight.

Jim Gordon in a wheelchair being pushed by Harvey Bullock.

"I had such high goddamn hopes for us....but you ruined it. What you're getting, you deserve every damn bit of."

Funny thing is that he's not wrong. Just a few hours ago, I sold him out to the FBI. He's going to jail and I get off scot-free.

Bullock walks up to me and punches me in the face with brass knuckles on. I hear something snap as I fall into the mud. The nose that Batman broke just broke again. The blood's pouring out my nose, one of my back molars is broken and bleeding. Bullock grabs me by my hair and snaps my head back up. Gordon is staring at me intently.

"You've got twelve hours, Nygma. Leave town, don't go to the FBI. If you do, I promise you I will burn you."

The pain in my face and mouth is almost unbearable, but still...I chuckle.

"Hahahahahaha...HAHAHA! You don't get it you dumb son of a *****! I've already went to the FBI, I've got full immunity. I gave them everything. You're the one who's burned!"

"Leave. Town." Gordon says. "Or I promise you that you will suffer."

Bullock kicks me in the stomach. I dry heave and vomit a mix of my last meal and blood. Looking back up, I spit and hit Gordon in the face with it.

"Do your worst, it doesn't matter. My deal is set and my testimony is signed and notarized. You're ****ing done and you can't do anything about it. While you were in a coma, I ****ed you wife. She said I was the best she ever had. I've fantasized about ****ing your daughter. While you were out, I nearly killed you. How does that feel?! HUH?!"

Bullock brings the brass knuckles back across my head and everything goes black.

I come to a few hours later, laying in the back seat of my car. My face is aching and throbbing all over. It hurts to even breathe. Laying on my lap is a .38. There's a note attached to it.

"Nygma, leave town now, or put this to good use."

I pick the gun up and open the cylinder. There's one bullet in it. The message is clear, but **** their message. This one bullet is meant for only one man.

Jim Gordon.

And they just gave me a gun that can't be traced back to me at all. Only a few more hours before I go into FBI custody. **** their case, my deal is done, so **** them. Tonight, Gordon dies by my hand.

******​

After the foray into Slaughter Swamp, Bullock brings me back to Gotham Central. Despite what he said, I think we put a good scare into him. In a little while, all his cards are gonna go up in smoke. He'll have no choice but to run.

"Jim," Sarah says from the doorway. I turn around to face her. I think about what Nygma said in the swamp, about what he did with her. That's a lie, it has to be. We can worry about that later, there's more pressing needs right now.

"What was in the box?" I urgently say.

"Jim...Jim, the box was empty."

My stomach drops and a cold pit begins to form in it. No...

"It can't be! It had to have something in it!"

"It was empty, Jim, empty...What was in it?"

"That was our ticket out of this," I moan. "Our one chance at survival. Nygma's already told the FBI at us...he's won."

I hang my head and stare at the floor.

"No..." I whisper out. "No, no, no, NO!!" I scream, my whispers turning into shouts. I break down, putting my head in my hands and crying.

"Jim," Sarah says reassuringly, touching my shoulder.

"No!" I scream out, shaking away her hand. "We're gonna spend the rest of our lives in prison, Barbara will go into foster care. All those criminals, all those people we put away, they're going to eat us alive Sarah!"

"What do we do?"

I look at the bottom drawer of my desk and then look back up at her.

"There's another way..."

******​

Inside my apartment, I put Driver's notebook down next to the CD. I've listened to the CD twice now, and read through the notebook three times.

It's all there, everything anyone would need. My work on the Kane case, coupled with Driver's findings puts it all together. That case is down and then some.

But his other testimony, that's the end of it. I know Stan hired me to work the case, but this is something the GCPD can't be trusted with. I look over at the business card laying on the coffee table and pick it up. Pulling out my phone, I dial the number on the card.

"Hello?"

"Special Agent Spencer? This is Vic Sage. I have some information you might want."

IC: Marcus Driver
Six Months Ago

"Our informant gave us a good tip, Maroni will be attending the wedding of his niece tonight. Maroni is expected the leave the country after this. Now, the plan of attack..."

Ngyma continues to drone on inside the briefing room and I tune him out. I have no idea what down between him and Gordon during the Holiday case, but whatever it was won Gordon over big time. We got the order two weeks ago to welcome him back into the fold. He's even getting a fancy promotion. Inspector or some ****. It'll be harder to make fun of him behind his back with that one. The way he said "Lew-tenant" in his ****ed up hillbilly accent was ripe for mockery.

Bullock pokes me in the ribs and motions to the door. Gordon is standing outside the room, looking at me. I stand up and walk to him.

"Sir?"

"Follow me, Marcus. Out to my car."

We head down to the parking garage and climb inside his car.

"What's all this about?"

He pulls out a cigarette and takes his time lighting it. Gordon takes a long drag off of it before he exhales.

"Starting to tonight, I want you to buddy up to Nygma. Get in close, learn what you can about him. Above all else, you watch him like a hawk."

"Why me? Why not Bullock?"

"Bullock is smart, but he can be too smart for his own good sometimes. I trust you and I know your loyal. Plus, I believe there's a little matter between you and Nygma that needs to be settled, right?"

I touch the bridge of my nose on instinct. It's healed now, but Nygma pistol whipped me so bad that it had to be set twice in order to heal properly.

"What do I have to do?"

"Here," Jim says, handing me a slip of paper. "This is a safety deposit box at the Gotham Savings and Loan, the account is in your name. You find anything tonight, you put your findings inside the box and leave this paper on my desk. I'll know we have something and I'll go see what it is."

"Yes, sir...and, Commissioner, if I may ask, why? I thought Nygma was welcomed back with open arms?"

"You don't need to know the specifics, Marcus, but remember that old proverb about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer..."

Twelve hours later, I'm laying underneath a table on the roof of the Gotham Ritz as all hell breaks loose. Mobsters and cops shoot it out while the bystanders panic and run. I peek out from underneath the tablecloth and see a green pant leg running by. Nygma.

I pull myself out from the table and watch as Nygma chases off after Maroni. A mobster across the room takes aim and Nygma with his pistol. Racking a load into my shotgun, I blow the criminal away and chase after Nygma. He follows Maroni, and now there's a woman following him. Dark haired with a piece in her hands, she looks oddly familiar.

I can't follow Nygma with her, so I run through the chaos and take the elevator, along with another panicked and frightened wedding goer. I hope I guessed right and Nygma is headed for the street. I run through the lobby of the Ritz and out into the street. Nygma's car is still here. I jump in mine and watch as Nygma gets into his car and waits. Maroni runs out and jumps into a sports car, speeding off. Nygma waits and goes the other way, hightailing out of there.

I start my car and follow after Nygma. He pulls in front of an office building and goes inside. A few minutes later, Maroni pulls up and goes inside. Ten minutes later, I hear it.

KRASH!

"AHHHHH!"

A body tumbles through the air and lands on the ground with a splat. Nygma's leaning out the window, looking down. I duck and try to avoid being seen as Nygma gets in and drives off. I wait and follow, slowing down to only look at the bloody body of Sal Maroni.

I pick up speed and follow Nygma. He heads out of the city to the suburbs. He pulls up to a house. I kill the lights to my car and coast to a stop halfway down the block. I look on in as Nygma gets out the car, a ski-mask on his face, and pulls out Molotov cocktails. He lights them and tosses them at the house, setting it ablaze before he drives off. I watch the house burn, stunned at what just happened.

Gordon wanted leverage he got it.

BZZZT!

"Hello?" I say into my phone.

"Marcus," Bullock says into the phone. "There's been a shooting."

"At the Ritz? Yeah, I know, I-"

"Not that, dumbass...some shot the Commish. He's on the way to Gotham General, head full of bullets."

Screams begin to come from the house. I hang up on Bullock and speed out of the area before anyone gets a good look at me. Jim got what he wanted, but what do I do with what I do?

I decide to follow his orders to the letter, writing up a report about last night's events and placing them inside the safety deposit box. A week later, I go the extra mile after I hear cops recovered DNA at the crime scene. Shard of glass had DNA on it, the Molotov cocktails were empty beer bottles. That night I dig through the trash in Nygma's office and find an empty soda can. The crime lab runs the results for me: Perfect match. I leave the slip of paper on his desk, informing him there's information in the box. If and when he wakes up, it's there for him.

The door in my office is locked. Sarah sits down in a chair facing me. It's the only way out either one of us can see. In prison, we'd both bed dead within a few years. This way, we go out on our own terms.

"Here it is," she says, pulling her old service pistol from her purse. "The one they gave me straight out of the academy."

"Same here." I look towards the service revolver on my desk. I remember Sergeant Peters giving it to me on my first day on the beat. Every night I got home,I cleaned. Four years in patrol, I never fired it. Still haven't fired it.

"I love you, Sarah. You know that right?"

"Of course. I could tell you were falling for me two weeks into the job."

"I was a sergeant then," I say with a chuckle. "My hair was darker. Flass and I used to tear the East Side apart...we thought we were gonna change this city for the better...well, we changed it at least."

Sarah leans forward and kisses me, I close my eyes and breath in her intoxicating smell one more time.

"Alright," I say, fighting back tears. "Let's get on with it."

I hold my revolver up and point it at Sarah's head. She aims her pistol point blank at my face. I try to thumb back the hammer of the revolver, but my weak muscles can't do it.

"Here..."

She takes the gun from my hand and thumbs the hammer back before handing it back to me. My hand is shaking when I aim again.

"Jim...I love you...I don't know..."

"Ssssh...it's alright, honey. If you can't go through with it, I'll do it myself. What's one more body on my conscience, right?"

We place the barrel of our guns to each other's foreheads. I close my eyes and swallow hard.

"Count of three, we go...1...2..."

BZZZT!

Sarah's phone goes off and I nearly leap out of skin. I pull my gun away from her head.

"Ignore it."

"Answer it. Just see who it is."

With her free hand, Sarah pulls the phone out of her pocket.

"Hello?....What?....What?! No...we'll be there."

"What's wrong?"

"That was Bullock...you won't believe what just happened."

Waiting in the alley beside the Gordon house, the revolver Gordon gave me in my hands. I called the hospital, he was checked out last night. Gotham Central is like a fortress, there's no way in hell I can get within shooting distance of him. Sooner or later, he'll come home. I've got eight more hours before I enter federal custody, plenty of time.

My plan is to break into his house and wait for him. It was good enough for Michael Akins, it's good enough for me. But before I start my home invasion, my phone starts ringing...Cursing under my breath, I check caller ID. Spencer.

"Hello?" I whisper.

"Nygma...where are you?"

She sounds cautious. Weighing her words carefully. Why?

"Wrapping up some business. I've got time. I'll be alright."

"Right...how long is that gonna take."

"I'll show up when it's time! Why do you care? What are you dragging your feet about?"

It clicks. She's stalling...they're tracing the call.

"What the **** have you done?!"

"Me? I'm not the one who firebombed the DA's house!"

All the breathe gets sucked out of me. They know...no, nobody knew.

"What are you talking about?"

"Vic Sage turned in some files Marcus Driver had stashed. He was a smarter cop than even you knew. He kept records on you, investigated the fire. He found your DNA at the scene. You lied to us, Nygma. The deal is off. We're charging you with it all."

"No...NOOOO!"

I slam my phone into the round and stomp on it, crushing it until it's in tiny parts. A car pulls up in the driveway and I stride towards it, palming the gun in my hand. When I turn the corner, Barbara Gordon is standing there, opening the front door. I stop short and look at her, she stares at me with a suspicious look. Suddenly, all my anger disappears.

"I'm...I'm sorry. I was looking for your dad."

"He's at work with my stepmom. Do I know you? You look familiar."

I'm the man who fantasized about you, stalked you, obsessed over you.

"Yeah...I was here last year, when that crazy guy tried to kill your dad."

"Nygma. Yeah, that's it. Sorry, he's not here. I can take a message if you want."

I walk towards her until we're standing face to face.

"Do....do you think I could ask a favor of you?"

"What?"

"Can I give you kiss? It's just that...I could use one."

"What? No! Mister Nygma...that's kinda weird."

"I'll be quick, I promise."

I hear a siren from somewhere off in the distance and chill races down my spine. They're coming for me, no doubt the FBI knows where I am.

"I'm sorry, Barbara. I'm sorry for what I've done to your family. It's all my fault. All I ever wanted was to love you."

Before she can respond, I'm running towards my car. The sires are getting closer. I take off down the street as the FBI cars come into view at the end of the block. I take a left and speed up. I can get away...I can make it to...

No. I'm as desperate as Maroni was at the end. I'm done. All that I have to look forward to is spending the rest of my life in prison. I pull over to the side of the road and pull out the revolver. One bullet in the cylinder. This is the best way to do it. I spin the cylinder and snap it shut, shoving the barrel into my mouth.

1 in 6 chance. 1 in 6 chances for someone to get the justice I robbed them of.

One chamber for Selina Kyle. Close my eyes and squeeze the trigger.

CLICK!

One chamber for Vic Sage.

CLICK!

One Chamber for Michael Akins.

CLICK!

One chamber for Bette Kane.

CLICK!

FBI cars pull up behind me. Agents with their guns out approach my car. **** them.

"NYGMA! DROP THE GODDAMN GUN, NOW!"

Tears running out of my face. No, be a man. Daddy would like it like that. Stop pissing my pants, stop playing those ****ing games! You goddamn riddler!

One chamber for...Gilda. Squeeze the trigger. In the end, Edward Nygma survi-

BLAM!

batman9.png

Finale

Previously

IC: Marcus Driver
Six Months Ago

"Our informant gave us a good tip, Maroni will be attending the wedding of his niece tonight. Maroni is expected the leave the country after this. Now, the plan of attack..."

Ngyma continues to drone on inside the briefing room and I tune him out. I have no idea what down between him and Gordon during the Holiday case, but whatever it was won Gordon over big time. We got the order two weeks ago to welcome him back into the fold. He's even getting a fancy promotion. Inspector or some ****. It'll be harder to make fun of him behind his back with that one. The way he said "Lew-tenant" in his ****ed up hillbilly accent was ripe for mockery.

Bullock pokes me in the ribs and motions to the door. Gordon is standing outside the room, looking at me. I stand up and walk to him.

"Sir?"

"Follow me, Marcus. Out to my car."

We head down to the parking garage and climb inside his car.

"What's all this about?"

He pulls out a cigarette and takes his time lighting it. Gordon takes a long drag off of it before he exhales.

"Starting to tonight, I want you to buddy up to Nygma. Get in close, learn what you can about him. Above all else, you watch him like a hawk."

"Why me? Why not Bullock?"

"Bullock is smart, but he can be too smart for his own good sometimes. I trust you and I know your loyal. Plus, I believe there's a little matter between you and Nygma that needs to be settled, right?"

I touch the bridge of my nose on instinct. It's healed now, but Nygma pistol whipped me so bad that it had to be set twice in order to heal properly.

"What do I have to do?"

"Here," Jim says, handing me a slip of paper. "This is a safety deposit box at the Gotham Savings and Loan, the account is in your name. You find anything tonight, you put your findings inside the box and leave this paper on my desk. I'll know we have something and I'll go see what it is."

"Yes, sir...and, Commissioner, if I may ask, why? I thought Nygma was welcomed back with open arms?"

"You don't need to know the specifics, Marcus, but remember that old proverb about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer..."

Twelve hours later, I'm laying underneath a table on the roof of the Gotham Ritz as all hell breaks loose. Mobsters and cops shoot it out while the bystanders panic and run. I peek out from underneath the tablecloth and see a green pant leg running by. Nygma.

I pull myself out from the table and watch as Nygma chases off after Maroni. A mobster across the room takes aim and Nygma with his pistol. Racking a load into my shotgun, I blow the criminal away and chase after Nygma. He follows Maroni, and now there's a woman following him. Dark haired with a piece in her hands, she looks oddly familiar.

I can't follow Nygma with her, so I run through the chaos and take the elevator, along with another panicked and frightened wedding goer. I hope I guessed right and Nygma is headed for the street. I run through the lobby of the Ritz and out into the street. Nygma's car is still here. I jump in mine and watch as Nygma gets into his car and waits. Maroni runs out and jumps into a sports car, speeding off. Nygma waits and goes the other way, hightailing out of there.

I start my car and follow after Nygma. He pulls in front of an office building and goes inside. A few minutes later, Maroni pulls up and goes inside. Ten minutes later, I hear it.

KRASH!

"AHHHHH!"

A body tumbles through the air and lands on the ground with a splat. Nygma's leaning out the window, looking down. I duck and try to avoid being seen as Nygma gets in and drives off. I wait and follow, slowing down to only look at the bloody body of Sal Maroni.

I pick up speed and follow Nygma. He heads out of the city to the suburbs. He pulls up to a house. I kill the lights to my car and coast to a stop halfway down the block. I look on in as Nygma gets out the car, a ski-mask on his face, and pulls out Molotov cocktails. He lights them and tosses them at the house, setting it ablaze before he drives off. I watch the house burn, stunned at what just happened.

Gordon wanted leverage he got it.

BZZZT!

"Hello?" I say into my phone.

"Marcus," Bullock says into the phone. "There's been a shooting."

"At the Ritz? Yeah, I know, I-"

"Not that, dumbass...some shot the Commish. He's on the way to Gotham General, head full of bullets."

Screams begin to come from the house. I hang up on Bullock and speed out of the area before anyone gets a good look at me. Jim got what he wanted, but what do I do with what I do?

I decide to follow his orders to the letter, writing up a report about last night's events and placing them inside the safety deposit box. A week later, I go the extra mile after I hear cops recovered DNA at the crime scene. Shard of glass had DNA on it, the Molotov cocktails were empty beer bottles. That night I dig through the trash in Nygma's office and find an empty soda can. The crime lab runs the results for me: Perfect match. I leave the slip of paper on his desk, informing him there's information in the box. If and when he wakes up, it's there for him.

The door in my office is locked. Sarah sits down in a chair facing me. It's the only way out either one of us can see. In prison, we'd both bed dead within a few years. This way, we go out on our own terms.

"Here it is," she says, pulling her old service pistol from her purse. "The one they gave me straight out of the academy."

"Same here." I look towards the service revolver on my desk. I remember Sergeant Peters giving it to me on my first day on the beat. Every night I got home,I cleaned. Four years in patrol, I never fired it. Still haven't fired it.

"I love you, Sarah. You know that right?"

"Of course. I could tell you were falling for me two weeks into the job."

"I was a sergeant then," I say with a chuckle. "My hair was darker. Flass and I used to tear the East Side apart...we thought we were gonna change this city for the better...well, we changed it at least."

Sarah leans forward and kisses me, I close my eyes and breath in her intoxicating smell one more time.

"Alright," I say, fighting back tears. "Let's get on with it."

I hold my revolver up and point it at Sarah's head. She aims her pistol point blank at my face. I try to thumb back the hammer of the revolver, but my weak muscles can't do it.

"Here..."

She takes the gun from my hand and thumbs the hammer back before handing it back to me. My hand is shaking when I aim again.

"Jim...I love you...I don't know..."

"Ssssh...it's alright, honey. If you can't go through with it, I'll do it myself. What's one more body on my conscience, right?"

We place the barrel of our guns to each other's foreheads. I close my eyes and swallow hard.

"Count of three, we go...1...2..."

BZZZT!

Sarah's phone goes off and I nearly leap out of skin. I pull my gun away from her head.

"Ignore it."

"Answer it. Just see who it is."

With her free hand, Sarah pulls the phone out of her pocket.

"Hello?....What?....What?! No...we'll be there."

"What's wrong?"

"That was Bullock...you won't believe what just happened."

Waiting in the alley beside the Gordon house, the revolver Gordon gave me in my hands. I called the hospital, he was checked out last night. Gotham Central is like a fortress, there's no way in hell I can get within shooting distance of him. Sooner or later, he'll come home. I've got eight more hours before I enter federal custody, plenty of time.

My plan is to break into his house and wait for him. It was good enough for Michael Akins, it's good enough for me. But before I start my home invasion, my phone starts ringing...Cursing under my breath, I check caller ID. Spencer.

"Hello?" I whisper.

"Nygma...where are you?"

She sounds cautious. Weighing her words carefully. Why?

"Wrapping up some business. I've got time. I'll be alright."

"Right...how long is that gonna take."

"I'll show up when it's time! Why do you care? What are you dragging your feet about?"

It clicks. She's stalling...they're tracing the call.

"What the **** have you done?!"

"Me? I'm not the one who firebombed the DA's house!"

All the breathe gets sucked out of me. They know...no, nobody knew.

"What are you talking about?"

"Vic Sage turned in some files Marcus Driver had stashed. He was a smarter cop than even you knew. He kept records on you, investigated the fire. He found your DNA at the scene. You lied to us, Nygma. The deal is off. We're charging you with it all."

"No...NOOOO!"

I slam my phone into the round and stomp on it, crushing it until it's in tiny parts. A car pulls up in the driveway and I stride towards it, palming the gun in my hand. When I turn the corner, Barbara Gordon is standing there, opening the front door. I stop short and look at her, she stares at me with a suspicious look. Suddenly, all my anger disappears.

"I'm...I'm sorry. I was looking for your dad."

"He's at work with my stepmom. Do I know you? You look familiar."

I'm the man who fantasized about you, stalked you, obsessed over you.

"Yeah...I was here last year, when that crazy guy tried to kill your dad."

"Nygma. Yeah, that's it. Sorry, he's not here. I can take a message if you want."

I walk towards her until we're standing face to face.

"Do....do you think I could ask a favor of you?"

"What?"

"Can I give you kiss? It's just that...I could use one."

"What? No! Mister Nygma...that's kinda weird."

"I'll be quick, I promise."

I hear a siren from somewhere off in the distance and chill races down my spine. They're coming for me, no doubt the FBI knows where I am.

"I'm sorry, Barbara. I'm sorry for what I've done to your family. It's all my fault. All I ever wanted was to love you."

Before she can respond, I'm running towards my car. The sires are getting closer. I take off down the street as the FBI cars come into view at the end of the block. I take a left and speed up. I can get away...I can make it to...

No. I'm as desperate as Maroni was at the end. I'm done. All that I have to look forward to is spending the rest of my life in prison. I pull over to the side of the road and pull out the revolver. One bullet in the cylinder. This is the best way to do it. I spin the cylinder and snap it shut, shoving the barrel into my mouth.

1 in 6 chance. 1 in 6 chances for someone to get the justice I robbed them of.

One chamber for Selina Kyle. Close my eyes and squeeze the trigger.

CLICK!

One chamber for Vic Sage.

CLICK!

One Chamber for Michael Akins.

CLICK!

One chamber for Bette Kane.

CLICK!

FBI cars pull up behind me. Agents with their guns out approach my car. **** them.

"NYGMA! DROP THE GODDAMN GUN, NOW!"

Tears running out of my face. No, be a man. Daddy would like it like that. Stop pissing my pants, stop playing those ****ing games! You goddamn riddler!

One chamber for...Gilda. Squeeze the trigger. In the end, Edward Nygma survi-

BLAM!

Two Weeks Later
Virginia State Mental Institution
Kenbridge, VA

I sign all the forms and consent to following all the rules of the hospital before they lead me back to the observation room. Nothing but white walls and the smell of bleach and disinfectant.

"It's actually a medical miracle," the doctor who leads me back says. "We can't explain it."

We stop at a window and look in at the room where a dozen mental patients are scattered around the room, playing games or watching TV. Sitting in a chair, staring off into space is Edward Nygma, his eyes glassy and unfocused with a giant scar on his forehead. I heard it was bad, but I didn't know how bad.

"When he shot himself the bullet went through his head and exited through the top. In the process, he severed his prefrontal cortex. It was a one in a thousand chance...but he lobotomized himself."

"Is he still...uhh, making sense?"

"He has brief flights to lucidity, but they're few and far between. Most of his higher brain functions are gone."

Jesus Christ. Nygma prized his intellect above everything else. Now, it's all gone. He's just an empty shell, drooling on his shirt and ****ting in his pants for the rest of his life.

"Why here?' I ask. "Why not Arkham?"

"The FBI thought it was best to send him out of state, just in case he was attacked by an Arkham inmate who had a history with him. They chose us because we've handled a previous mental patient from the city. It's interesting really. He's become fast friends with Edward."

A skinny black man shuffles over to Nygma and sits down. It takes me a moment to recognize him, but when I do it takes my breath away. Michael Akins, Holiday himself. He's a hundred pounds lighter with a full head of gray hair.

"Michael was a former police officer as well. He suffered a mental breakdown after his son was killed and became a serial killer. He's a paranoid schizophrenic. Ever since he's been committed, he's been highly unstable. Everything is a vast conspiracy engineered by his former co-workers in Gotham. We have to keep him sedated to stop his delusions."

I stare at the two of them and shake my head.

"I've seen enough, Doctor. I'm ready to go."

"Uhh, before we leave, Mr. Sage, I wonder if there's a question you help us clear up."

"What is it?"

"During Edward's brief moments of lucidity, he mentions the names of two women: A Selina and a Barbara. Do either of those names ring a bell to you?"

"Faintly. But I can't remember where I heard them."

"Well, whoever they are, he seems to be fond of them. He's referred to them as his girls."

I follow the doctor out of the hospital and to my car. They hand me back my cellphone. There's a voice message on it.

"Sage, this is Kate Spencer. I just wanted to thank you again for you help. I just wish we could have done more with it. My boss seems content to lay the corruption at Nygma's doorstep, nevermind all the horrible stuff he told us about Gordon. Nygma's crimes tainted his testimony. He's the fall guy for this one. There's nothing we can do now and my boss doesn't care, he's just using it as a stepping stone to the governor's seat, it shows he's tough on crime and the people who police it. Meanwhile I'm packing up and headed to some godforsaken Indian reservation in South Dakota....sorry, I'm running on. Like I said, I just wanted to say thanks for all your work. I like to think it actually meant something. Bye."

I hang up and look back at the mental institution. So it's the end of it all. Nygma is trapped in a hell of his own making, Gordon keeps his job and stays out of jail, and the FBI shovels all the **** under the rug to keep it all happy.

I remember Nygma told me once that nothing stays buried forever, that all the skeletons in our closet eventually jump out and grab us. It's true for all of us, but especially true for him. He dealt in lies and riddles, but it was the riddle of Gotham City that did him in.

He took the city head on...and it chewed him up and spit him back out.

catwomanredo.png

"I'll count to three. And if you haven't started talking, you'll join the rest of the blood on the walls."

I have to give this guy some credit. Even in my wildest dreams, I wouldn't have expected to see this much action tonight. Though the mysterious stranger immediately produces two glocks in order to - and this is me assuming - take me out in the event that any foolish attempt to attack is made, I can't help but curl my lips back into a smirk as we slowly pace eachother through Wayne's dining room hallway. I don't know why I've felt the need to behave like this, but my immediate reaction to danger isn't always the most commonplace. Someone points a gun at you, and common sense dictates to cower and relent. That's never been my way, even as far back as I can remember. At thirteen years old, I was hoping taxis on the freeway to head to school. Sixteen and I strapped myself to a bungie cord to take a dive over the Harbor, just to get myself arrested and see what it was like. It's the kind of girl I've always thought of myself as. The kind that couldn't seem to keep herself out of trouble.

Needless to say, tonight is no exception.

"Look, maybe you and I got off to a bad start. I'm really not out to do anything more destructive, if that's what you're thinking."

Dome-boy takes this as a cue to click back the saftey on both guns. Well, I can certainly tell when logic and reason have met their end.

"This is me caring."

What I don't understand is what he's doing here. Logistically speaking, I came here with a very simple mission: sneak my way down into Wayne's underground hideout and see what I could find to help me track down a well-hidden figure of the mob. But what was Red's agenda in coming here? Surely he can't be a friend of Wayne's, why go to such lengths to hide his identity for a social call? Unless he, like the rest of the city, heard about what happened and came looking for answers.

Damn. Now I suddenly know why he's acting so hostile. Genius probably thinks that I had something to do with all this.

"No need to resort to violence. We can work this out... can't we, handsome?"

He doesn't even stop to consider it.

"One,"

"Come on, really? I'd be willing to talk if you'd just put down the damn,"

"Two,"

Realizing the effort is futile, I leave logic out of it and ready my hand on the bullwhip. Better time this right, Selina. You still don't know how well this armor can hold up at close range. He could easily keep his promise.

"Alright, just remember... you asked for this."

"...Three."

I'm not completely sure of what happens first. Whether he pulls the trigger or I strike out with the whip. But the result is what's important, being in my favor as the leather of his jacket suddenly finds a large cut at it's shoulder and the ceiling is struck with a few bullets, providing the excellent distraction of a dust cloud as I immediately go to sprint my way out of the hall. I can already hear him collecting himself in the other room - need to gain cover against any further fire.

Bats6.png

Call it a hunch, but I may have soured his already less than favorable mood.

"One way or another, you're gonna pay for that! Hear me?!"

Sure, I'm going to pay for defending myself against the psychotic wielding a pair of semi-automatics. I can see how I was completely in the wrong there.

"I'm not playing any games tonight! Where the hell have you gone..."

Looking to make myself scarce, I press myself against the bottom half of the seat cushions and scan the room for any possible leverage to use against my new sparring partner. All the while he's kicking very expensive looking art stands over, shooting off a few rounds at random doors, and doing whatever he can to try and force me out of hiding. Yikes, what's this guy's problem? Did I just manage to cross his path on the wrong day?

Maybe there's more to it than that. Trouble at home?

Just as he manages to kick down the door to the living room study, my heart skips a quiet beat. Unless I'm grossly mistaken, that's very same room that I accidentally stumbled upon the entrance leading into Wayne's private quarters some months ago. And it's only been a few hours since whatever happened to him happened. What if the entrance was compromised in the struggle? I may not be someone of the most stellar ethics, but I definitely can't let Mr. Personality see that. He - Wayne, Batman, whatever he wants to call himself - would never want such a thing exposed.

And even if I'll never give it to him, there's one little fact that I'm looking over. He's risked his life to save mine at least twice in the past. What kind of future trainee would I be to never return the favor?

Stepping out of hiding, I ready the whip and hesitantly give a loud whistle, catching his attention and preventing him from treading any further ground in the place. I hope you appreciate the hell out of this, Wayne.

"Ready for round two, or are you just gonna stand there and stare?"

He doesn't hesitate. Lifting both guns with deadly aim, he dives forward and slides onto his knees, firing off as many rounds as he can manage. It's only by the heavily-furnished grace of God that I manage to avoid becoming a stain on the walls, dodging and weaving between furniture that'll likely cost an arm and a leg to ever replace. By the time I reach the end of the room, my only option is to kick over one of the metal meal carts and hope that it can stop bullets.

"Y'know, you can stop at any time!"

RPG-5.png

"Not interested!"

Okay, now I can admit it. Now I'm starting to get worried. I've got nowhere else to run and he still hasn't emptied his clip. I already tried logic with him and it failed. This guy isn't about rationale in the least, he seems to only be running on pure rage. And I'm nowhere near prepared to take him head-on, no matter what kind of skill level he's boasting behind that arsenal. Think, girl, think. Nothing you've got at your disposal can get you out of here alive. What would he do in a situation like this?

"Damn..."

Finally, the glocks go silent with a couple of clicks. This is my only chance, and I know exactly what he'd do in a situation like this. Kick some ass and make the bad guy beg for mercy. And without the crutch of bullets on Red's side, I can try to do exactly that. Just hope this ends better for me than the last fight.

"Come on!"

Leaping over the table, I finally have him right where I want him. With a running start, I tumble into a somersault over the couch and lash out with a hard heel kick into his chest. He stumbles, but not nearly enough. Making use of the whip, I finally thrust my elbow back and give it all that I've got. And somehow - I'm not even kidding - he manages to dodge it. Stupid, Selina. Didn't take his agility into account.

"Shouldn't have done that,"

It takes nothing more than a well-placed kick to my stomach to end the fight before it's even begun. My entire body goes flying back under the force, and I can feel my head hit the wall harder than anyone with a recent concussion might need to. By the time I've fallen onto the floor and crushed the broken glass, he's stepping over it on the path towards me, ready to do even more than I'd prepared myself to handle.

"Now I'm just going to have to do this the hard way."

You know, earlier tonight, when I told myself that I wasn't going to stay cooped up in that dingy apartment?

Maybe I should have done just that.

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon is laying in bed as she starts to wake up. She sees Laethwyn standing over and smiling.

She says, "That's something I haven't seen in a while."

He asks, "What's that?"

Rhiannon replies, "You smiling. Ever since you became King 2 years ago it feels like you've become a completely different person."

Laethwyn says, "I know it's just I was suddenly catapulted into a role that I had been preparing for all my life and when I took over that role it was nothing like anyone could've imagined. All the advice and so forth from my Father seemed like it was in vain."

Rhiannon says sitting up, "That's not true. Considering you are the one who had to replace a beloved ruler and you're dealing with a war that seems to have no end in sight you've managed to at least hold the line. Sometimes that's the best any of us can hope for."

He replies, "Too true. Besides I haven't had much of a chance to smile, but this is truly cause for celebration."

Just then there is a knock at the door and Laethwyn says, "Enter!"

A midwife enters carrying two babies and says, "Your majesties may I present your son and your daughter."

Laethwyn takes one child and Rhiannon takes the other as the Midwife leaves.

Laethwyn keeps looking at the child he is holding and says, "All right Rhiannon it's time. What are we to name them?"

Rhiannon replies, "Edward for the boy and Alicia for the girl. They were my parents' names. Please it's the one connection I would have to where I came from."

Laethwyn says, "Very well I could accept those names. Edward & Alicia good names for them. I love you Rhiannon."

Rhiannon says, "I love you too. I...."

Just then there is a knock and Laethwyn says, "Enter." Trabor, his Secretary of State, and Roshawn, General of the Army, enter.

Trabor says, "Forgive the interruption your majesties, but there is much to be done our war has entered a critical operational phase."

Laethwyn says to Rhiannon, "I'm sorry but I..."

Rhiannon nods and says, "Go I'll be here."

Laethwyn says to Trabor, "Go get the midwife I do not wish my wife to be alone right now. I'll meet you both in the library."

Trabor nods and leaves. Roshawn and Rhiannon just stare at each other for a moment as he leaves.

Laethwyn says, "I know it's not what you want and I am sorry about this."

Rhiannon replies, "Uneasy is the head that wears the crown sometimes. You need to take care of this. Like I said I'm not going anywhere."

They kiss as the midwife enters and Laethwyn hands the baby to the Midwife and says, "Anything she needs see to it."

The Midwife bows as Laethwyn leaves.

Rhiannon takes a good look her two babies, and she smiles.

No more combat, no more secret missions, no more combat sparring. Just one adventure now; Motherhood.

Last edited:
2rdfbxj.jpg

South Dakota

I speed through the flatlands of South Dakota in my pickup. 17 hours out of Austin and I'm almost at my destination. I pass by the welcoming sign, covered in trash and garbage.

24bkyg9.png

The Prairie Rose Indian Reservation, where the government sent the Sioux to die. First time I've stepped foot on any rez since I left Black Cherry twelve years ago. I told Belle a thousand times I don't do Indian work, especially skiptraces. Damn woman went ahead and told them I was coming. She said the money was worth it. Once a ****e, always a ****e.

I follow the road to the Prairie Rose Indian Casino. In the parking lot, a bunch of teenagers in the parking lot try their best to stare me and look tough. One look at my face and they scatter, pissing their pants and running home to their mommas.

I get a lot of long stares once I'm in the casino. Blackjack dealers eye me and flinch before they quickly go back to their business. Half naked drink girls dressed as squaws walk by and quickly look away, shuddering. A young boy with an eyepatch gapes at me as he pushes a mop bucket past me.

"Who the **** are you?" A big Indian with piercings in his nose and ears asks.

"Lookin' for Red Crow."

"What's your business, you ugly mother****er?"

I scowl, suck my teeth, and tilt my hat back.

"Nice earrings. Especially the ones on your right ear. When I was growin' up, I was told that only men of a certain...sexual persuasion, wore earrings in their right ear."

The big man starts to walk towards me, I ready myself for whatever he's about to...

"Shunka, cut this s*** out."

Shunka stops and turns around and looks at a large man with dark hair pulled back into a ponytail, cigar in his hands.

"Our friend here is the bounty hunter."

"That's right. Name's Jonah Hex."

"I'm Chief Lincoln Red Crow, welcome to Prairie Rose."

"Thanks on the warm welcome."

"Shunka, search him for weapons. Then bring him back."

Shunka begins to pat my down, pulling my .45 from the small of my back, the switchblade from my pocket, the .38 on my left ankle, and the Bowie knife in my right boot.

"Looked like you had yourself a good time, Shunka."

"**** you, white boy."

I follow Red Crow and Shunka back to his office. Lots of Indian artifacts, newspaper articles about the Wounded Knee standoff, some more articles about something called Dog Soldiers. I sit down across the desk from Red Crow and wait while he lights up another cigar.

"Shunka, go find Bad Horse. I need to see him. "

Shunka nods and walks off, leaving me along with Red Crow.

"The lady from Central City tells me you're the best tracker in the country."

"Belle'll say anything that gets her that finder's fee. I'm not one for boastin', but I'll say this much: Pay me to do a job, and it gets done. Simple as that."

"Good. I like simple."

Red Crow hands me a photo copy of a driver's license. A California license with a picture of a blonde man. The name on it says Bartholomew Alouysius Lash. Hell of a name, and that's coming from a man who had his momma name him Hex before she abandoned him.

"That mother****er cheated me. Goddamn card counter cleaned me out and ran out of here with one of my best dancers. That was a week ago. I want you to bring both of them back and bring back the thirty grand he cheated me out of. You get half of whatever you recover."

A man once told me I had a talent when it came to reading people, that I could look into their soul and see what they were all about...but he was about three days into a meth binge and I had knocked out half of his teeth, so what the hell did he know?

My instincts aside, I can tell Red Crow is a real son of a *****. I think anyone who spends any amount of time with him could tell that.

"Alright. Showed me where he was staying while he was here, and who knew him the best."

Red Crow may be a piece of ****, but at least his money is good. That's all that counts.

byrdbanner.png

Previously
Keystone City Police Department

I come through the doors of the PD and see a slightly agitated look on his face.

"Allen! There you are! You were almost late!"

"Sorry, Captain Frye. Traffic was a mess."

That and I just left Hub City a minute ago. Not too bad, considering it's nearly 800 miles east of here.

"Well, come on, let's go."

I follow Frye down the hallway into the heart of the PD. We pass through the squadroom, where detectives and patrol officers mingle, and downstairs pass the morgue.

"Crime lab is right down here. You'll be under David Singh, he's the head of the department. It's two of you and two other techs."

"Just four? Central City has six techs and they're understaffed."

"Well, son, we ain't Central City. We're a smaller town, got a smaller budget. Only problem is we have almost the same amount of crime as Central City. So, the mayor and the city council are putting a priority on closing cases as fast as you can."

Frye opens the door into the crime lab and leads me into it. There are four desks and lab equipment on the far wall. A full laboratory is a room over.

"Singh, this is the new guy."

An Asian man with long hair and a goatee walks over.

"David Singh. You must be Bart Allen."

"That's me, sir."

"Just call me Singh."

"There you go," Frye grunts. "Already fast friends. Show him the ropes, Singh. He seems to know what he's doing, but you never know."

"I have just the first test. We got a home invasion/homicide on the northside. Detectives are waiting on the crime tech, and I got my other two folks out on calls. You're up, new guy."

"Now? Like, right now?"

"Sink or swim, son," Frye says, patting me on the back a little too rough. "Best of luck."

Keystone City, KS

I park the police van next to the sidewalk and get out. There's a patrolman on the stoop of the apartment, standing behind crime scene tape and fending off reporters.

"Let the detectives be," he barks out. "They'll issue a statement when the time comes."

I wade through the small crowd with my briefcase in hand. Elbowing to the front of the line, I show the officer my ID.

"Where's the picture?" He asks, tapping the ID.

"I'm new. Check with Captain Frye or Mister Singh."

"Naah. Not even these vultures could make a phony ID this good. If they did, it'd have a photo. Go in and see the detectives. Be careful because Chyre is in a mood."

I nod and make a note to watch out for whoever Chyre is. I bend down and cross under the tape and walk up the stoop inside the apartment.

"CSU!" I call out as soon as I'm in the front door.

"About ****ing time!" A voice says from down the hallway. A large, stony faced man turns the corner and looks at me.

"Who the hell are you?"

"Uhh, Bart Allen...sir. I'm new."

"Jesus ****ing Christ. We got a double here and Singh sends us a ****ing rookie?! Oh my ****ing God. How old are you, kid?!"

"Twenty-two," I mumble out.

"Goddammit! I got stains on my carpet older than you! ****!"

My magnificent powers of deduction tell me that this is Chyre.

"You at least know what to do?"

"Take photos, dust for prints, collect trace evidence."

"There we go! They must of pulled you out of MIT! Goddamn rocket scientist we got here!"

"Fred," a latino man says as he walks down the hallway. "Leave the kid alone. He's already nervous as hell, you cussing him out won't help matters."

The detective holds his hand out. "Detective Jared Morillo. This piece of crap beside me is Detective Fred Chyre. We're Robbery/Homicide."

"Bart Allen, sir. CSU."

"Well, Bart Allen, welcome to the dark side of human nature. Get your camera and follow me."

I pop open the briefcase and look inside. There's a pack of latex gloves, a pack of cloth shoe covers, a camera, a fingerprint kit, tweezers, a small cordless vacuum, and plastic baggies. I grab a set of cloth covers and put them over my sneakers before I slide on a set of gloves and grab the camera, following Morillo and Chyre down the hall.

"Any experience in this, Bart?" Morillo asks.

"I did mark crime scenes in college, but that was it."

Chrye scoffs. "Well, this ain't school. We've had plenty of techs **** up on us and ruin cases. Don't put your name on that list."

"Fred, shut the hell up," Morillo barks. "Him and I will help you through it. Here we go."

I follow the two of them up a flight of stairs and into a bedroom. Laying on the bed, clad in boxers, is a dead man. There are nearly two dozen stab wounds on the man's chest.

"Get a shot from the entrance, then a close up shot of his chest, then one from the side."

I hold the camera up and snap the shot before gingerly walking into the room. Last night was hot, and the body is already starting to smell a bit funky. I've seen a few dead bodies as Flash, but nothing outside the recently deceased. Better get used to it, Barty boy. You'll look back and say this was one of the easier ones.

I get the shots off and follow the two detectives into the next room taking shots of another man in bed, naked except for underwear. Like the other victim, he has stab wounds, except only fewer. Laying on the floor beside the bed is a bloody butcher knife.

"Same as with the other victim." Morillo instructs. I snap off the shots and turn to the two detectives.

"What happened, if you don't mind my asking?"

"What if we do?" Chyre grunts. "You're just a lab rat. We put the pieces together."

Morillo rolls his eyes at Chyre and looks at me. "A home invasion last night. Somebody killed both of these men in their sleep and robbed them. Based on the number of wounds and the power behind the stabs, it's safe to say a man murdered them."

"Do you got all the shots you want?"

"Yeah. We need trace evidence and fingerprints now. The murder weapon"

"Alright."

I head down to the first floor and pass through the kitchen. I stop and catch something. There's a glass sitting on the edge of the counter, separate from all the other clean glasses. It was hot last night. Stabbing two men to death is hard work.

"Detectives?"

"You get lost, kid?" Chyre cracks as he comes down the stairs. I point towards the glass.

"It was what, in the 90's last night? I didn't see any air conditioner upstairs. It had to be around 100 degrees upstairs."

Chyre looks at the glass and it clicks.

"Holy ****! Get your fingerprint gear, kid."

I get the kit and dust down the glass. It comes back with a latent thumbprint of a man with a history of sex crimes and robbery. A friend of the victims identifies him. He was last seen with boy victims the night of the murder, they were leaving a nightclub and headed home. A day after the murder, Chyre and Morillo get him in an interrogation room and he folds under pressure. He confesses to both murders.

I watch it all go down from the other side of the two-way mirror. He's crying and Morillo is consoling him when Chyre leaves.

"Allen," he grunts, extending his hand to me. "Nice catch."

It's hard to contain the grin I feel like showing, but I do it as I shake his hands. "Thank you, sir."

"Call me Fred."

"I will, Fred."

"Allen!" I hear Singh calling from the squadroom. "Where the hell are you?! There was a B&E over at Saxon Jewelry. They need CSU there."

Chyre slaps me on the shoulder. "Get going...Oh, and Allen? You work another case that I'm on, and you **** up the evidence? I'll snap your goddamn neck."

I gulp and Chyre laughs. "I'm ****ing with you! Get the hell outta here!"

Aquaman.png

"He has sealed our fates!"

The massive doors to the ancient Temple of Poseidon swung open from the outside parlor. Several robed priests of the Temple's order turned back in the direction of the sudden outburst, only to find their youngest and most brash member storming ahead to meet them. Kaldur'ahm had been with the church for as long as he could remember, raised among the religion's way of life until he adopted Poseidon's law as his own. Every action dictated by the Sea King was praised and championed highly by the youngest priest of the Temple, so his current outrage would soon become more than understandable. But that didn't help settle any of the priests' confusion, as they pulled back the hoods of their robes and looked down upon Kaldur'ahm with intrigue.

"Young Kaldur, what is the meaning of this? We were in the midst of conducting the ceremonial prayer for tonight's synagogue. Infact, where have you been?"

Kneeling before the altar to show some semblance of respect, if not simply out of habit, Kaldur'ahm stared back at the priests with troubled eyes - though noticeably more filled with hatred than anything.

"My apologies, father, but I bring with me the most terrible of news from the outlands. I do not know how to say it, but..."

"The outlands?!"

Kaldur's longtime mentor, the elder known as Hagen, stepped forward to greet his pupil.

"You know fully well that you are never to travel there, Kaldur. There is dangerous sorcery at work there, and it is forbidden to all who represent the temple! To what means did you break this promise?"

No longer willing to make eye contact, the now reserved Kaldur put aside his hatred for his next admission. He knew that it would be hard to admit, but it would ultimately be nothing in comparison to what news he sought to tell them.

"I was... searching. Trying to locate the Trident of Xebel."

The priests' eyes all collectively widened, unsure of what they had heard was indeed true. The legends spoke strongly of the Trident, but Xebel was a much fabled, cursed place that no Atlantean had journeyed to for centuries. At least, none that ever returned. To seek out it's Trident would be certain death, and Hagen knew of these terms. Yet even in the face of the elder priest's anger, they didn't seem to bother Kaldur.

"Have you any idea of what you..."

"Please, father. Let me finish with what I was about to say. It concerns not just you, not just the Temple, but Atlantis as a whole itself."

Without a hint of irony or hesitation, Kaldur stared at the group and bawled his fists together in outrage. "Poseidon, our God, is dead. Murdered and left astray in the outlands."

Silence fell upon the group. Some of the priests began to immediately confer with one another in hushed tones, angrily debating between eachother of whether this could possibly be true. Only Hagen challenged this claim upfront, stepping down to face his pupil directly.

"Surely you do not take us for fools. A God cannot be killed, Kaldur. Not in spirit, only in his mortal shell. And even then, not by anyone but his..."

"Most loyal of creations? Yes, I know of the proverbs. And yet I tell you it is true. Poseidon is dead, and..."

Kaldur's rage reached a boiling point as he venomously spit the next few words.

"And Aquaman killed him."

"What happened back there will not be spoken of again."

General G'thar, second-in-command of King Iqula's Royal Guard, addressed his troops with a firey determination that instantaneously reminded each and every man in attendance of why he was leading this charge. As they gathered themselves following an attack by a mystical assailant, a mysterious man who disappeared before their very eyes just as his initiative had reached it's strongest point, G'thar was determined to keep them focused on the task at hand by whatever means nessecary. It had been a great trial to contend with, but ultimately proved to be nothing compared to what they were about to face in The Hidden Valley.

"Not to the King, not amongst yourselves, and certainly not while we are still heading to our destination. I realize that it's an extreme request to ask of you, but we came here with a mission."

His eyes narrowed upon the group, who all sheepishly looked away at his gaze.

"To save the Princess. Until that task is accomplished, we will not distract ourselves. Am I being perfectly clear?"

They silently nodded to eachother, staring back at the point of origin that their assailant had appeared from, still blissfully unaware of what had truly prompted what happened. As G'thar mounted his steed, readying himself to depart, his attention was focused on one of the others as they rushed over to him.

"General, we were wrong! He's still alive, and he's coming this way!"

With an eyebrow arched, G'thar's attention turned back towards the distant waters as they all saw the visible streak of a vibrant orange and green coming towards them with considerable speed. In only a moment's time, the Royal Guard were treated to the prescence of their tagalong for the mission. Orin of Atlantis, better known to all as Aquaman. As he landed amongst the group, his face and skin considerably worn from what appeared to be a lengthened battle, G'thar's skepticism left him as he directed his steed towards the complacent warrior. Who was now wearing a newly captured trident across his back, noticably.

"Aquaman. We had thought you dead in the attack. Have you recovered?"

Unlike his earlier readiness to banter with the General's many comments rooted in distrust, Orin seemed lost in another world entirely as he stared back at G'thar, unable of what to say. Instead, he simply moved past and swam towards the edge of the rock ahead, overlooking the blackness of the nearby canyon.

"You did not answer my question. Have you recovered or not?"

Aquaman didn't turn back to face the General. He simply stared out at the intimidating darkness ahead, his thoughts now placed with not what he was doing, but what he had done. Or rather, what he had been forced to do. None of the Royal Guard had seen his terrible act, so he did not feel the need to enlighten them. He wasn't even sure of how they would be able to take it.

"The Hidden Valley,"

Looking over his shoulder at the General, Orin masked his grave thoughts with those of the kidnapped princess Tula. Her life was still on the line, and nothing else mattered more. The consequences of Poseidon's death would have to wait for another day. A day that he - and all of Atlantis, infact - would surely dread.

"We're close to it now. I can tell."

With a temptation to once again repeat himself, G'thar let it go and simply nodded.

"Then let us not waste anymore time. Onward! For Atlantis!"

As the others carried out the order and travelled on, Aquaman briefly stayed behind, mulling over the idea that he could carry on despite all that he had learned. A twisted and maddened mirror image of himself, still loose and still just as powerful as before. And as if that weren't enough to give him pause, he now carried the blood of a Sea God on his conscience.

Woefully, Orin loosened the trident attached to his back and looked upon it in his hands, wondering to himself if he should even be carrying it. It was once Poseidon's symbol. Now it was tainted. Just as he was, like always. But now the price was surely to be even higher on his head. The seas themselves would surely seek retribution for their fallen conqueror. It was too much to take in all at once.

What have I done?

Boy Blue
~No Place Like Home~
Part 3

"Well, this is terrific, isn't it?" Cindy says as the Wizard's Shock Troopers round us up. The spy's contact within Oz has sold us out, and we're seemingly on our way to capture.

That is, we would be if I wasn't wearing the Witching Cloak.

"I'm giving you all one chance to let us go, or join us," I say calmly. "No one has to die here or now. Especially not people who are fighting for the wrong side."

The Munchkin chuckles, "My boy, the only ones that will be dying are you. And last time I checked, the wrong side was the losing side. From where I'm standing, that looks like you."

Without another word, I go through a quick successions of teleports, brandishing the Vorpal Sword and hacking and slashing through the shock troopers. Before they can react, the majority of their force lies dead on the ground, and my blade is at the Munchkin's throat, "You were saying?"

"How...how...how...?" he sputters and stutters. "I thought the Emperor had the sorcerers and magicians of the lands under his control."

"I'm neither," I sneer. "I'm an avenging warrior he to bring justice and freedom back to these lands. You go back to your wizard and tell him that."

The group scampers off, and Cindy smiles slyly, "The damned cloak is pretty useful. I hope you know if you somehow die I'm taking it."

"That's a sweet notion," I chuckle.

"I'm not really the sweet kind of girl," she purrs.

A rustling of leaves draws our attention to our side, ready for another attack. But instead, a warrior in blue and orange body paint emerges from the vegetation, "You oppose the Wizard, but you are not from Oz. We have been waiting for you. Follow."

"A Winkie," Bufkin says. "Warriors of the mountains."

"Sounds like who we need," I nod and follow.

Oswald stands before a large crowd, with a bank of microphones at City Hall alongside the Mayor and various high-ranking members of The GCPD.

He says handing a check over to the Mayor, "It is with mixed blessings that I give to Mayor Thorne this check in the sum of 5 Million dollars for the Widows and Orphans fund for the Gotham City Police Department. I am grateful that I am able to do this , but I am also filled with great sadness that I am doing this during what is supposed to be a season of Goodwill towards one and all and Peace on Earth. I hope that this is able to ease the pain of all involved."

The crowd errupts into applause and Oswald waves saying, "No no please save it for those who give of themselves each and everyday safe-guarding our city."

He nods and says, "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays."

Oswald leaves the stage and gets into his Limo. He receives a call on his L-Phone.

Don Toramisano calls to congratulate him on his donation and says, "The weapons you sold me are cherry! They're better than last year thank you my friend I can't wait to try them out."

Oswald says, "My friend as always a pleasure doing business with you as well."

Last edited:
2rdfbxj.jpg

Previously

South Dakota

I speed through the flatlands of South Dakota in my pickup. 17 hours out of Austin and I'm almost at my destination. I pass by the welcoming sign, covered in trash and garbage.

24bkyg9.png

The Prairie Rose Indian Reservation, where the government sent the Sioux to die. First time I've stepped foot on any rez since I left Black Cherry twelve years ago. I told Belle a thousand times I don't do Indian work, especially skiptraces. Damn woman went ahead and told them I was coming. She said the money was worth it. Once a ****e, always a ****e.

I follow the road to the Prairie Rose Indian Casino. In the parking lot, a bunch of teenagers in the parking lot try their best to stare me and look tough. One look at my face and they scatter, pissing their pants and running home to their mommas.

I get a lot of long stares once I'm in the casino. Blackjack dealers eye me and flinch before they quickly go back to their business. Half naked drink girls dressed as squaws walk by and quickly look away, shuddering. A young boy with an eyepatch gapes at me as he pushes a mop bucket past me.

"Who the **** are you?" A big Indian with piercings in his nose and ears asks.

"Lookin' for Red Crow."

"What's your business, you ugly mother****er?"

I scowl, suck my teeth, and tilt my hat back.

"Nice earrings. Especially the ones on your right ear. When I was growin' up, I was told that only men of a certain...sexual persuasion, wore earrings in their right ear."

The big man starts to walk towards me, I ready myself for whatever he's about to...

"Shunka, cut this s*** out."

Shunka stops and turns around and looks at a large man with dark hair pulled back into a ponytail, cigar in his hands.

"Our friend here is the bounty hunter."

"That's right. Name's Jonah Hex."

"I'm Chief Lincoln Red Crow, welcome to Prairie Rose."

"Thanks on the warm welcome."

"Shunka, search him for weapons. Then bring him back."

Shunka begins to pat my down, pulling my .45 from the small of my back, the switchblade from my pocket, the .38 on my left ankle, and the Bowie knife in my right boot.

"Looked like you had yourself a good time, Shunka."

"**** you, white boy."

I follow Red Crow and Shunka back to his office. Lots of Indian artifacts, newspaper articles about the Wounded Knee standoff, some more articles about something called Dog Soldiers. I sit down across the desk from Red Crow and wait while he lights up another cigar.

"Shunka, go find Bad Horse. I need to see him. "

Shunka nods and walks off, leaving me along with Red Crow.

"The lady from Central City tells me you're the best tracker in the country."

"Belle'll say anything that gets her that finder's fee. I'm not one for boastin', but I'll say this much: Pay me to do a job, and it gets done. Simple as that."

"Good. I like simple."

Red Crow hands me a photo copy of a driver's license. A California license with a picture of a blonde man. The name on it says Bartholomew Alouysius Lash. Hell of a name, and that's coming from a man who had his momma name him Hex before she abandoned him.

"That mother****er cheated me. Goddamn card counter cleaned me out and ran out of here with one of my best dancers. That was a week ago. I want you to bring both of them back and bring back the thirty grand he cheated me out of. You get half of whatever you recover."

A man once told me I had a talent when it came to reading people, that I could look into their soul and see what they were all about...but he was about three days into a meth binge and I had knocked out half of his teeth, so what the hell did he know?

My instincts aside, I can tell Red Crow is a real son of a *****. I think anyone who spends any amount of time with him could tell that.

"Alright. Showed me where he was staying while he was here, and who knew him the best."

Red Crow may be a piece of ****, but at least his money is good. That's all that counts.

Crazy Horse Casino
Prairie Rose Indian Reservation
South Dakota

I spend the rest of the night around the casino, talking to employees about Lash and the girl he run off with. The dealers all say Lash got on their nerves, ran his mouth too damn much. The drink girls say he as a charmer, he'd tip them way too much and flirt, same story with the strippers. Bartender says he was always buying rounds for everyone. The drunks and freeloaders loved him. Nobody knew where he was from, or where he was going.

The girl is a bit different. Sarah Proud Feather, born and raised on the Rez, was about middle of the pack compared to the rest of the strippers, but that's all according to them. In the week Lash was here, he went back to his room with Proud Feather every night. Word was that Red Crow got wise to Lash's card counting and moved in to get him, only Lash and Proud Feather were long gone by the time they busted into his room.

All I got to go on is a California driver's license that was issued six years ago and may be fake. Like the best con men, Lash probably isn't even his real name. Lucky for me, Crazy Horse does more than just blackjack and poker. They also run sports betting.

It's their sports bookie that gives me a solid lead. Lash took a dive the other week when Oregon was upset against Southern Cal. He lost nearly ten grand on it. In his six day stay, of all the games he played, it was the only bet he lost.

Taking that idea, I find the nearest payphone and ring up Belle.

"Belle's Bail Bonds."

"You're a real *****, you know that? Told you time and again I don't work Indians."

"How about you stuff it up your ass, Jonah? Is the pay good, like I promised?"

"Yeah, for a skiptrace the only money ain't bad. But I don't like this Red Crow guy. I've heard stories."

"What kind of stories?"

"Just a few years back when I was in St. Paul, runnin' down this arsonist for a few counts of murder, and I was hearing about this street gang that was running meth through Minneapolis and St. Paul, their source was some Indian named Red Crow. It was all just whispers, though."

"I would tell you to be careful and take care of yourself, but it's you."

"Well, I didn't call just to whisper sweet nothings in your ear. I need you to run a search for me. Name of Bartholomew Lash, spelled just like you'd pronounce it. Look for any records of a man named that from Oregon or California."

"Yes, sir," Belle says sarcastically. If I were looking at her, she'd be giving me a little salute. "May take awhile."

"I'm spending the night here. I'm set up in room 105. Call me as soon as you got anything."

"Will do. Be safe and make sure you send me my damn finder's fee when you get done."

"Christ, woman. You used to be a ****e, now you're a pimp."

"Not just any pimp, Jonah Hex, your pimp."

"Yes, ma'am. I'll be sure to get you your money like a good little ****e."
I chuckle and hang up. Despite the digs, Belle's the only person I actually trust in this world. We met in Central City when I was first starting out as a bounty hunter. She was a ****e and I was after her s***bird pimp, guy got off on torturing and murdering his girls. Belle was next before I clotheslined the son of a ***** and broke his jaw in three places. She got off the street and started her own business as a bail bondsman. Guess I had an effect on her. I give her muscle on the tougher bounties, and she throws a bone my way every now and then.

I turn around and walk back inside the casino. Red Crow may be a certified ***hole, but it don't mean I can't blow off some steam while I wait to hear back from Belle.

The shrill blast of the phone on my nightstand wakes me from my sleep. That phone is already loud, but with a hangover it's goddamn unbearable. I push the woman off of me and reach out from the bed and grab the phone.

"What?"

"Got a hit on your Lash, Jonah. Bartholomew A. Lash, born in Oregon, moved to California by himself when he was 18. He's been arrested a few times for gambling in Oregon and California, and he's been blacklisted in Vegas, Mississippi, and half the Indian casinos around the country.""Where's he from originally?"

"Aurora, Oregon. It's a long shot, Jonah. You sure that's where he'd run?"

"A man runs into trouble and there's only two places he'll go: Either the girl he's ****ing or the woman he came from. He's already got the girl with him, so he's headed back home."

"Good hunting, Jonah."

I hang up and get up, searching for my pants on the floor. The Indian woman in the bed stirs and rolls on her stomach. I look at the tattoos all over her naked back and ass. She was flirting with me so much last night, I figured Red Crow paid her in advance to show me a good time. She actually managed to halfway pretend my face didn't bother her, so Red Crow must have paid well. I pull my pants on and take my wallet out, putting a few hundred dollars on the nightstand.

Red Crow can rot in hell, I ain't his goddamn charity case. I put my shirt on before putting my .45's holster in the small of my back. After putting on my shirt, boots, and hat, I'm on my way out of the casino. The room's paid for in advance, so all I do is head for the parking lot and my truck. I start it up and pull out the parking lot, heading west towards Oregon.

The sooner I'm done with this job, the better I'll feel.

ultrequestld8.gif

Rhiannon sits quietly by the Lake in the forest where she first appeared in Molaidha.

I love coming here. This is one of the most peaceful places that I know of in the entire universe. Kind of ironic that I was here for a few minutes and then there was so much savage bloodshed around me, but in those few minutes the world was quiet, still and peaceful. No Waller flashbacks, No Legion of Doom, No war with Agamon, nothing it was just me in a forest. Life couldn't get any better. Granted though I love my husband and my two children, the people of Molaidha, and my servants are very nice to me. I believe that they would be even if I wasn't the Queen, but there are times when I just wish life was simpler for me.

One of her servants approaches and without even turning around she says, “Yes what is it?”"

The servant says, “Please forgive the intrusion my Queen but the King needs to speak with you at the Castle.”

Rhiannon stands up and replies to the servant, “It’s okay. Let’s go.”

They arrive back at the Castle and Rhiannon finds Laethwyn packing a bag and says, “Trabor is escorting me to a secret meeting with the Secretary of State for the Agamons. He says that they are ready to pursue a diplomatic solution, but their King is reluctant to do so publically for fear of appearing weak so this is how we have to do it. We will be negotiating for 1 week in the neutral land of Caldor, so myself and our negotiators will be safe.”

Rhiannon asks, “Why can’t Trabor do it?”

Laethwyn replies, “They asked for me. This is an opportunity that hasn’t happened since a year before you appeared. Rhiannon I have to take this chance for the sake of our people.”

Rhiannon says, “I don’t trust this at all.”

Laethwyn replies, “You and Roshawn finally agree on something.”

Rhiannon rolls her eyes and says, “Oh joy.”

Laethwyn approaches her and embraces her. He says, “It will be all-right I have faith. I’ll be back before you know it.”

Rhiannon replies, “You better be. I ‘m not dealing with two 18 year olds alone! They’re both stubborn and think they know it all.”

Laethwyn smiles as there is a knock at the door. He says, “Enter.”

Edward enters and says, “Father I heard that you might be going to Caldor to negotiate for peace.”

Laethwyn says, “Trabor had no right to tell you, but yes I am. I want you to stay here with your mother and sister you are to watch over them.”

Edward replies, “Please Father I beg of you. I’ve been in a combat unit for almost 6 months and I have yet to see any battle please. All I’ve done is play it safe with guard duty and patrolling outlaying wastelands that have been deserted for decades. Please.”

Rhiannon says, “No and that’s final Edward. I know you want to go prove yourself I know what you can do, but this is very dangerous. “

She approaches Edward and says, “One day you will be King you need to start seeing the big picture in all of this. You’ve always had trouble seeing the big picture! All you see is here and now not the big picture!”

Edward says, “I do see the big picture mother! I am an adult I’ve earned my right to be my own man and leader as Prince just as Father did.”

Laethwyn slowly nods and says, “Yes I was about his age when I first start to hone my skills as a warrior.”

Rhiannon says, “I don’t think he’s ready yet, and with this situation being so dangerous. I can’t support this at all!”

Laethwyn says, “Pack your sword and your equipment and provisions for 2 days of travelling. We’re leaving soon.”

Rhiannon sets her jaw as Edward leaves and says, “You know full well this could be a trap, and now you’re letting our son fall into it with you as well.”

Laethwyn says, “I know it could be a trap, but he needs to see how things are. We can’t protect him forever Rhiannon. Besides there will be others there to protect him and at the first sign of trouble I will send him home.”

2 days later

Trabor returns wounded. Rhiannon knows what has happened and with a trembling voice she asks, “How, when?”

Trabor replies, “Just before we reached the outlands we we’re ambushed by a group of marauders.” Trabor reaches in a bag and pulls out the King’s Crown and the Prince’s Cloak. He hands them to her.

Rhiannon says to those with her, “Leave me and treat Trabor’s wounds.”

Rhiannon sits in the throne room for hours clutching the items upon her throne. Anyone who enters is threatened with beheading. Until Alicia enters visibly shaken she approaches Rhiannon and says, “I heard about it. When were you going to tell me?”

Rhiannon replies, “When I finally made sense of it myself. This is not something I was prepared for. I knew there was a chance of it but….”

Alicia comes closer and the two embrace and just wail for moments without end.

Finally Rhiannon says, “All-right we will have the rest of our lives to mourn there are things that have to be done now.”

She sends for Trabor and Rhiannon says, “I know that you’ve been through a difficult time the last two days, but there is something I need you to do.”

Trabor says, “Yes my Queen.”

Rhiannon replies, “Send forth word to Agamon it’s time to end this. I will sit at a Royal Table in the square 4 days from now and I will end this war.”

Trabor bows and says, “As you wish my Queen.”

Once he leaves she waits for about 10 minutes and says to Alicia, “Leave at Midnight and go to the hill country Roshawn and his troops will be there. Tell them the time for the caverns is in 3 days. Repeat it back to me.”

Alicia says, “The time for the caverns is in 3 days. Why are you doing this? All these years repeating messages that make no sense between you, father and him. You hate each other Mother what is behind it all?”

Rhiannon says, “One day it will all make sense. I promise by the end of the week you will understand. Go on Alicia and know I love you.”

Alicia leaves and Rhiannon approaches one of her servants in the hallway outside the Throne Room. Quietly she says, “I need a favor and I need it done in 3 days."

Last edited:
images

Doris enters the Board Room and stands behind Mr. Luthor as always.

Luthor says, "Thank you all for assembling here on such short notice. There is some business that needs attending to that is long overdue!"

Luthor turns to Doris and says, "Miss Zuel for the last few years you have enjoyed the fruits of power without actually earning any of it, and you use certain luxuries that I own like my blue Ferrari constantly without even asking. You have bullied and intimidated LexCorp employees without earning any rights behind the power you wield. In case you forgot..."

He stands up and gets right in her face and yells, "I AM THE BOSS! NOT YOU!"

Lex begins pacing around the table as Doris just looks in a death stare at Lex.

Lex says, "We are a family here at LexCorp and you seek to run it as a dictator without having your name on the front-door. And this petty vendetta you have against Miss Lois Lane one of the finest journalists in the world is wasting time and resources."

Lex says, "I will not tolerate it any longer. Miss Zuel you are fired! I'll send you your belongings clear out! NOW!"

Doris with head held high leaves the board room and exits LexCorp. As she does so she makes sure that everyone sees her leave.

She walks around the block to a parking garage and enters the elevator. Doris presses the basement button and pulls out an access key. She turns it and the elevator descends.

She exits the elevator and proceeds down a dark-hallway. Doris opens a door and Lex is waiting on the other side.

He smiles and she smiles as well and Lex asks, "You think they bought it?"

Doris nods and says, "Oh yes sir Mr. Luthor. I made sure everyone saw me leave in a very public manner."

Lex says, "Excellent! I'm sorry for being so harsh but I had to make it convincing for everyone."

Doris says, "Understood sir. What do you need?"

Lex replies, "I am preparing to embark on a new business venture. One that LexCorp cannot be involved with in anyway at this time. I need someone to be my liaison and represent my interests until I am ready to go public with my involvement, and there is no one on this planet I trust more than you Miss Zuel."

Doris bows her head and Lex hands her 2 manila envelopes and says, "The first one is your contact information in the next few days a man named Vandal Savage...."

Doris raises an eyebrow slightly at the mention of his name and he says, "yes that one. He will contact you about our new venture. You are to represent me and follow his lead; for now until I arrive. The second envelope has a generous compensation package for your dismissal. It's an account set up through one of my shell companies off-shore."

Doris asks, "What of Lois Lane? She is being troublesome."

Lex replies with a smile, "I'll deal with her. You've laid down a good foundation. I'll handle it from here."

Doris nods and says, "Very well sir. It's an honor to serve you sir."

Lex says, "Thank you Miss Zuel you are a most valued resource to me and the society. Your willingness to serve and your loyalty to me are two things I do not take for granted. Oh by the way..."

Lex tosses her a set of keys and says, "Here" She catches them and Lex says with a smile. "I know you love that Blue Ferrari consider it a going away gift from me. I've changed everything over into your name it's yours."

Doris says smiles very broadly, "Thank you sir."

Lex says, "Until we meet again."

The two stop smiling and bow to one another as Doris leaves in her Blue Ferrari.

Last edited:
ultrequestld8.gif

Queen Rhiannon sits in the middle of a table at the heart of the town square with her sword in-front of her in Royal Blue Dress. People are lining the streets.

Standing behind her is Trabor who says, "You should not view this as a surrender my Queen, but as ensuring the peace for our people."

Rhiannon is stone-faced as she looks down the street waiting for the arrival of King Vorvon and his army.

One day ago I buried my husband. The only worse pain I've ever known that even comes close to that was hearing that my unborn daughter had died when I had a car accident. Now I've also lost another child as well. I can only hope and pray that Roshawn is keeping my daughter safe. I hope also that Trabor is right about this ensuring peace, because I don't think I can pay too much more than what I've already paid.

Just then there is a rumble through the land and Rhiannon knows that Vorvon and his troops are mere minutes away.

The people look upon the approaching army and their King with scorn and contempt. He arrives at the stage and looks at the crowd.

Vorvon says, "I know many of you hate me at this moment, but don't despair soon this will be over and you and your families and your property will be under my generous protection. If you choose not to reward me for my generous protection I am certain my army can persuade you."

Rhiannon says, "King Vorvon let's get on with this. You can do the royal decrees and all that crap some other time."

Vorvon replies, "Oh Queen Rhiannon don't take this so hard. I know you are still mourning the loss of your husband and son but know that their sacrifices are catalyst for the peace that my Kingdom shall soon enjoy."

Rhiannon stands and says, "Right. King Vorvon I present to you my sword. What I do now I do in the name of peace and justice."

Vorvon smiles as she picks up the sword by the blade . He extends his arms to accept the sword and Rhiannon flips the sword and runs the blade through his chest.

She says, "Burn you son of a *****!" Rhiannon then removes the sword form his chest. She swings the sword and cuts off King Vorvon's head. The people are stunned and the only sound is the sound of Vorvon's head bouncing off of the cobbled stone.

Rhiannon shrugs her shoulders and her dress falls away revealing an armored version of her Atom costume. She yells, "TO ARMS!!!!"

Suddenly hundreds of soldiers rise up from the rooftops on the main street and in second story windows armed with crossbows and swords at the ready. Vorvon's army has no idea what to do.

Rhiannon says, "We have you outgunned and outmaneuvered. Surrender now or join Vorvon. Your choice but be quick this is a day we've been waiting for. A very long time to say the least!"
The army drops their weapons and they all kneel with their hands behind their backs.

Trabor asks, "My queen what is this madness? You brought King Vorvon under the auspice of surrender and you attacked him!"

Rhiannon turns to Trabor and says, "Oh no I didn't. I said I would end the war I made NO mention of surrender at all!"

Trabor says, "You realize enemies will mobilze and make him a martyr. We do not have the resources or troops to sustain a long drawn out war! You've doomed us all! You FOOL!"

Rhiannon slaps Trabor and says, "Cool it!"

Just then Roshawn and the rest of the troops arrive with Alicia in the back and Rhiannon says, "Right on time old friend!"

Roshawn kneels and says, "My queen! The plan worked to perfection! Just as you and the King had planned!"

Rhiannon says, "Rise old friend. Good to see you again!"

Alicia approaches and Rhiannon embraces her and says, "My darling daughter I love you!"

Alicia embraces her as well and says, "I love you too mother. Would you care to explain all of this."

Rhiannon and Roshawn look at one another and Roshawn says, "You and the King were the ones who came up with this attack." Roshawn motions for his men to surround the kneeling army.

Rhiannon says, "For years your father and I began stockpiling resources and troop reserves in caverns throughout the kingdom and in allied territories. We wanted Vorvon to think he had us on the defensive for years. Vorvon would grow over-confident and his arrogance would guide him into our trap. The truth is we have a 7-1 advantage over them in terms of troops and resources. It's modification of something called the rope-a-dope and Roshawn's military instincts helped us out and so did you Alicia."

Alicia asks, "How did I help?"

Rhiannon replies, "All those absurd messages between him and us you repeated were part of a code. Something the three of us devised so that way if you ever got caught, Heaven Forbid, you could truly say you didn't know. Roshawn and I acted as though we hated one another to throw off any suspicions of our plan. Truth is I care very much for him and thank him for his service to our kingdom."

Roshwan bows and Alicia asks, "But Father and Edward dying?"

Rhiannon shakes her head and says, "Your father knew that this might result in his death, and he was willing to risk it. Edward, that was something none of us could've foresaw, and that will haunt me for the rest of my days. We could've extended this longer but when Edward died I knew it was time to strike."

Trabor approaches and asks, "Why was I never told of this plan?"

Rhiannon looks at him and nods at two troops standing by who slap him in irons.

She says, "Because the King, Rosahwn and I knew you would tell Vorvon."

Trabor is shocked and says, "What? Are you accusing me of treason? Are you insane?"

Rhiannon replies, "No. Over the years anything that has gone against us is because of your involvement and you were the one who set-up the King and Edward. I know all about your communications with your counterpart in Agamon, but when you came back from the assualt a few days ago I noticed something that closed the deal for me. For someone who was injured as badly as you claimed to be you didn't show many signs of shock. You lost a lot of blood and you witnessed so many people get slaughtered yet you showed no psychological defects amazing since you've never served in a combat unit ever, and yet you were able to escape the maruaders!"

Rhiannon motions again and two troops bring out two other men in irons.

She says, "We also caught your two associates who fingered you."

Trabor sneers and says, "So put me on trial. I don't care I will survive."

Rhiannon says, "Oh I'm sure you got an escape plan all worked out, but I wanted you to see something Trabor."

She turns him so he is facing the crowd and Rhiannon says, "The people who are in front they are the friends and family members of those men and women who died as a result of your acts of treason! Take a good look at them, because in a minute you're gonna get to know them real well!"

Trabor turns and says to Rhiannon, "You wouldn't dare!"

Rhiannon takes a step back and with a roundhouse kick knocks Trabor off the stage into the crowd.

She says, "He's all yours! Do with him as you wish!"

The crowd converges on him and proceeds to pummel Trabor and within a matter of seconds he is dead.

Rhiannon looks at the other two and says, "I suggest you two run now."

One of them says, "You said we'd be protected!"

Rhiannon replies, "I said I would protect you from prosecution. I made no such promises from an angry mob, and once they're done with him they're gonna want his associates."

The two begin to run and some of the mob pursue them.

She says to Roshawn, "My friend time to press the attack. When you return we'll have a great ceremony in your honor, but for now there's work to be done."

Roshawn bows and says, "It is my honor to serve my Queen." He turns to the crowd and yells, "Take the prisoners into the stockades and then meet here! The end of the war is at hand!"

He raises his sword and yells, "ALL HAIL QUEEN RHIANNON!"

Those still gathered yell, "HAIL QUEEN RHIANNON!"

Rhiannon bows her head slightly and looks to Alicia. They embrace again and Alica says, "I am so proud of you mother. I love you."

Two Weeks Later

Roshawn enters the Throne Room with the Crown of the New King of Agamon in one hand and the flag from their castle and says, "My queen we have done it Agamon has surrendered to us!"

Rhiannon closes her eyes and when she opens them she says to Roshawn, "Send forth word my friend. No pilliaging, looting and burning of the towns along the way. Those people are now under the protection of our royal seal now."

Roshawn bows and Rhiannon says, "And hurry back we have a celebration to begin!"

Rhiannon goes outside and walks over to the headstones of Laethwyn and Edward.

She kneels before them and says, "I couldn't have done it alone. On behalf of our people thank you. I love you both and I miss you so."

Alicia walks up behind her and puts her hand on Rhiannon's shoulder and says, "I know them well enough to know that they're so very proud of you mother as am I."

Rhiannon rises and embraces Alicia and says, "Thank you. Queen Alicia."

Alicia pulls away from Rhiannon and Rhiannon says, "It's time we'll make a formal announcement at the celebration in a few days. You'll be getting married to Balcar in a few months it's close enough. You're ready now my Queen."

Rhiannon bows slightly and walks back to the castle.

Last edited:
penguinbanneredit.jpg

Oswald and a few of his lawyers are sitting in the conference room under the Iceberg Lounge.

One of them says, "We've been reviewing everything we can get our hands on and the fact is Mr. Cobblepot there is no cracks in the Wayne Armor in terms of a hostile takeover."

Oswald shakes his head and says, "I refuse to believe that addle-minded him-bo is smart enough to cross the street by himself, much less come up with Iron-Clad Defenses for his company such as the ones that you all are telling me about."

He lights a cuban-cigar and walks around the table. Taking a long drag he says, "Who knows maybe behind the pigeon there is actually a hawk."

One of the lawyers asks, "That maybe it's a clever charade sir?"

Oswald nods and replies, "Perhaps under-estimate the enemy sort of thing, lure them in and then blind-side them. Interesting."

Oswald takes another drag and says, "But that still brings us back to square one. I just have a hard time with accepting this."

One his lawyers chimes in, "Face it though with the Wayne going downhill and just barely holding his own I suspect his stock is going to plummet even further. He maybe a figurehead at times but he can't..."

Oswald asks, "What did you say?"

The lawyer replies, "The stock is on the slide right now. Hasn't been this bad since his parents were murdered, and if he dies it'll be worthless. The name Wayne will be a nice nostalgic thing but without a Wayne occupying the top spot it doesn't mean a whole lot."

Oswald smiles and says, "Ladies and Gentlemen I think I'm onto something right now."

He turns and says, "Thank you all for coming I've got a couple of phone calls to make let's get back together in 48 hours same time, and I'll have lunch prepared for us again."

Everyone leaves the room and Oswald begins to feed his vulture Titan.

He says, "I do think I've got it. Instead of me trying to tear down the Great Wayne Wall, how about I have someone else do it for me?"

Oswald dials on his L-Phone and says, "Mayor Thorne this is Oswald. Let's say we get together this evening, say around 5ish here at the lounge I have an idea I wish to discuss with you."

Last edited:
wwsymbol-thumb.gif

My search of the United Nations building has not borne fruit; I have questioned every surviving person who was present during the Legion of Doom's attack, sometimes making use of the Lasso to assist their memory, but none have been able to tell me anything about where exactly Savage and his minions went. I believe the Atom may have found something, but she hasn't been heard from in a while.

We have to find the Legion and stop them, but if the trail has gone cold, then as horrible as it is, the only way we may be able to locate them is to wait until they resurface and attack again. The others have gone to recruit other members for the Justice League and to tend to their own cities' needs, and I have sent Donna to locate the other women who have our power, the aspects of the true Wonder Woman (Donna nicknamed them 'Amazons' after the warrior women of the Greek pantheon) in order to marshal more forces for the fight to come....as well as protect them from being hunted by the Legion. We still don't know how much Savage knows, or who else he may have working for him.

As I fly over the streets of New York, circling the UN building to clear my head of another fruitless day of questioning, I see a light flickering on a rooftop, intense enough to stand out among the millions of other lights in the city. It seems to be directed straight at me, blinking on and off in quick and slow pulses, and I quickly realize what it is.

Morse code.

"W-O-N-D-E-R W-O-M-A-N," the message says. "M-E-E-T A-T 83 S-U-L-L-I-V-A-N S-T-R-E-E-T H-O-U-S-E I-N 1 H-O-U-R. I-N-F-O O-N L-E-G-I-O-N. C-O-M-E A-L-O-N-E."

I frown at the message; it's suspicious at best, and almost definitely a trap. Still, the League has no other leads regarding the Legion's whereabouts or their plans, so even if it is a trap, I can likely pry the information I need out of whoever is behind it.

"Wonder Woman to League," I say into a wireless earpiece obtained from our headquarters in Happy Harbor, hoping that at least one other member is listening in. "I am investigating a possible lead regarding Savage in New York City. 83 Sullivan Street. If you do not hear back from me in....seventy minutes," I say, giving myself some time to deal with whatever it is I find, "then I would likely appreciate some backup. Over and out."

An hour later, I approach the Sullivan Street House. Nothing appears to be out of the ordinary here: no open windows from where a sniper could be positioned, nothing strewn across the ground to indicate a hidden trip-wire, just an empty building with an empty alley behind it.

Leading into the alley, I see a set of footprints. Keeping my guard up, I follow them cautiously, pressing against the corner before checking that the alley is indeed as empty as it seems.

"Is anyone there?" I call out, to no response. I should leave right now; this is either a dead end or an ambush. But I cannot let the trail to the Legion go dead, either.

Following the footprints, I make my way into the alley. Soon I can hear someone breathing heavily, as if in excitement or anticipation. I can feel eyes upon me, leering at me hungrily. I raise my Gauntlets and prepare for whatever attack may be coming.

"Show yourself!" I demand, but still no answer beyond the heavy breathing.

Suddenly, the trail stops. The footprints end in one spot, as if the man were still standing th--

*FWASSHHH!*

An extraordinarily bright light blinds me for a moment, and I am knocked off my feet by some kind of concussive beam.

Rubbing my eyes, my sight returns to me, and I see a man in a garish black-and-white costume looking down on me, staring at me with wide, eager eyes.

"My my, you're even more beautiful in person," he says, his lips pulled back into a lecherous sneer. "I believe I am really going to enjoy you."

I spring from my kneeling position and attack with a spinning back-kick to his chest, but I pass right through him as if he were not even there. Then, to my side, he appears and fires another concussive blast that knocks me back.

Invisibility, holographic images, energy blasts.....whoever this man is, he seems to have mastery over light itself.

"I told you I had information on the Legion of Doom," he says, "so here's what I know...."

156223-199990-dr-light_super.jpg

"My name is Arthur Light. Doctor Light to you. I was hired by the Legion to hunt and kill any member of the Justice League I wanted. Twenty-five billion dollars for your corpse. But, you know.....I don't think I'm going to kill you right away..."

:hal:Sinestro:hal:

"How are your tests going, friend?" I ask the Lantern's drill instructor. "You know how much they worry me."

"The tests are going fine, Sinestro," he sighs. He was hoping not to talk about them. And his voice betrays that they aren't going on as well as he would like me to think. "Some of the trainees are taking to the impurities and mastering them quicker than I would have thought."

"They're not taking to them. The impurities are taking them, more like it," I laugh and lean back in my chair. "The Guardians took some of the weakest we have and put them in one of the most dangerous assignments they could. It's almost as if they want the War of Light to come to pass."

"Watch what you say, Sinestro," he says standing and walking towards the window. "The Guardians will not take insubordination. Especially at a time like this."

"Yes, I wouldn't want people talking behind my back if I was about to destroy the Corps either," I respond, leaving.

"More...more...more...I must...have...MORE!" the slobbering beast screams, and with him the thousands of orange constructs cry out in unison.

Larfleeze-AgentOrange.jpg

Agent Orange fires off into the vacuum of space, ready to feed his hunger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"