The Un-Dead (Dracula 2)

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
May 2: Jan De Bont bites into DRACULA sequel

Jan De Bont’s Blue Tulip Productions has teamed with Atchity Entertainment on a new feature which represents the first officially sanctioned sequel to Bram Stoker’s DRACULA. Tentatively titled THE UN-DEAD, after the subtitle of Stoker’s original novel, the script was written by Ian Holt and is set 25 years after the book’s events. All the surviving protagonists—including Jonathan and Mina Harker and Professor Van Helsing—appear, along with Inspector Cotford, a character cut from the original manuscript, facing the bloodsucking Count once again. The Stoker family has officially recognized Holt’s screenplay—the first adaptation to receive such approval since the original 1931 Bela Lugosi-starring film.

De Bont and co. are currently seeking a director for the project. “We’re going after someone who knows how to do big-budget, adult Gothic horror with top A-list actors like SILENCE OF THE LAMBS,” says De Bont, whose own next directorial venture is the giant-shark epic MEG for Atchity and New Line. “We’re not making a B-movie teen slasher film here. This is the DRACULA [sequel] the true fans have been waiting for.”

Holt, who also wrote York Entertainment’s DR. CHOPPER, began the project by acquiring the rights to the best-selling book IN SEARCH OF DRACULA and traveled to Transylvania and spending a night at Bran Castle (pictured), where the “real Dracula,” Vlad Tepes, spent time. “Me and a friend huddled in the room where Dracula’s wife jumped out the window to her death,” he says. “The sky was pitch black—there were no stars—and it was quiet, except for low moaning sounds every time the wind whipped through the crumbling walls of the castle. Needless to say, we didn’t get much sleep!”

Holt also visited the dark prince’s palace in Romania, and wound up being knighted by The Transylvanian Society of Dracula into the Order of the Dragon. In addition, he was allowed by a Stoker family representative to read Stoker’s original handwritten manuscript (where he discovered Cotford’s existence), currently stored under glass at Philadelphia’s Rosenbach Museum. “I had to put on white gloves to not get any oil from my fingertips on the pages,” Holt says. “A guard watched over me the whole time. I got to see Stoker’s handwritten notes in the margins. It was such an honor to be holding the second most popular book of all time behind the Bible. It brought tears to my eyes and brought me full circle with the story.”

This is either the most genius thing ever. Or just something to piss people off more. I'll lean towards genius for now. Least till a cast:o

Can't wait to hear more news! Hopefully this will turn out to be the vampire flick weve been waiting for!

I miss Bela Lugosi

bela_lugosi.jpg

What we really need is another Dracula movie, he hasn't been humiliated in enough films recently. :rolleyes:

You guys are missing one major thing...the Stoker family approved of it.

Wait a minute. This is a sequel to WHICH of the Dracula films?

Bad Superman said:
Wait a minute. This is a sequel to WHICH of the Dracula films?
Yeah, I'm not too keen on seeing Keanu Reeve's 'acting' again. I think the guy has come on leaps and bounds since then, but he was awful in that film and his English accent was about as convincing as Costner's in Robing Hood.

Matt said:
You guys are missing one major thing...the Stoker family approved of it.

So what? That's no indication of quality. The Stoker family didn't approve of Nosferatu, and that's one of the best Dracula adaptions ever made.

D'Artagnan said:
So what? That's no indication of quality. The Stoker family didn't approve of Nosferatu, and that's one of the best Dracula adaptions ever made.

No, but they also have not approved Dracula 2000, Dracula meets Frankenstein, and the countless other crappy Dracula movies that have come throughout the years. They did approve the best Dracula to date however...so I think that says something. Plus did you read about Jan De Bont? The guy seemingly loves the character and has researched the hell out of him. I put a little faith in that.

Waitwaitwait, I'm confused.

There over a million movies made about Dracula.

So, which one is this a sequel of?

The Bela Lugosi one, the Christopher Lee one, the Frank Langella one, the Gary Oldman one, the Gerard Butler one...?

I'd assume it's a sequel to the story itself, as presented in numerous films based on the novel, not one specific film, per se.

OT: Am I the only one who really liked Dracula 2000?

I wouldn't mind watching new franchises the classic Universal Monsters: Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolf Man and the Mummy. I would keep the black and white format but would take advantage of today's cool special effects. I really enjoyed Van Helsing's black and white intro. :up:

Matt said:
No, but they also have not approved Dracula 2000, Dracula meets Frankenstein, and the countless other crappy Dracula movies that have come throughout the years. They did approve the best Dracula to date however...so I think that says something. Plus did you read about Jan De Bont? The guy seemingly loves the character and has researched the hell out of him. I put a little faith in that.

The best Dracula movie is not 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', it's not very faithful to the book at all. It makes Dracula a tragic romantic hero. The best Drac films are the 1931 Universal version and Hammer's Prince of Darkness.

And Jan De Bont....? Not exactly a great director. And how much he loves Dracula and is a fan is irrelevent. Joel Schumacher is a big Batman fan and read loads of comics. Doesn't mean much by itself.

I'll wait for some more news before I bash this film like others are allready doing.

Darth Elektra said:
I'll wait for some more news before I bash this film like others are allready doing.

lol, no-one is bashing a film which isn't even in pre-production. We are discussing the benefits of an offical Stoker estate sanction. The basic bash/hype free-for-alls are a hallmark of Ain't it Cool, we're more civilised here.

Kevin Roegele said:
The best Dracula movie is not 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', it's not very faithful to the book at all. It makes Dracula a tragic romantic hero. The best Drac films are the 1931 Universal version and Hammer's Prince of Darkness.

And Jan De Bont....? Not exactly a great director. And how much he loves Dracula and is a fan is irrelevent. Joel Schumacher is a big Batman fan and read loads of comics. Doesn't mean much by itself.

Um that's what he meant :) If you read the first post you'd know that.

Kevin Roegele said:

Well, it may not have been entirely faithful in that aspect, but it was still a damned good film.

thealiasman2000 said:
I'm STILL confused as to which Dracula movie is this a sequel of...

I think to the original....or the book in general. But me thinks the original...or the book in general

...one of thos two

Whixch one?

You mean the Bela Lugosi one?

So they are remaking "Dracula's Daughter"?

thealiasman2000 said:
Whixch one?

You mean the Bela Lugosi one?

So they are remaking "Dracula's Daughter"?

Yeah...don't count that

Are we also supposed to ignore "Son of Dracula", "House of Frankenstein", "House of Dracula" and "Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein"?

And are they doing it in black and white with old school effects?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"