The Untouchables:Capone Rising-*UPDATED Nic Cage to play Capone

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16908

Director returns to helm Capone Rising
28 June 2005
If there’s one thing Hollywood loves right now, it’s a prequel. After all, recently we’ve had Anakin Skywalker’s descent to the Dark Side, Batman slapping on his crusading cape for the first time and later in the year we’ll see Jay Hernandez try to fill Al Pacino’s shoes in Carlito’s Way: The Beginning.

That movie is, of course, a Brian De Palma-free prequel to a Brian De Palma film – something that producer Art Linson is obviously keen to rectify with his latest project, The Untouchables: Capone Rising, a prequel to… well, go on, have a guess.

For today De Palma, the grand virtuoso of Hitchcockian setpieces, signed on to direct the flick, which will focus on the rise to prominence in the Chicago underworld of one Al Capone (played in the 1986 original by Robert De Niro), and his early clashes with worldly-wise beat cop, Jimmy Malone (the role that bagged Sean Connery an Oscar).

At first, the idea of an Untouchables prequel looks like, well if not exactly bad, but certainly unnecessary. By all means, make a movie about a young Al Capone who, after all, is a fascinating and complex individual. But there’s surely no need to try to tie it in, however tenuously, to a 19 year-old movie, especially when it seems that Eliot Ness – the man who forms The Untouchables, for heaven’s sake – won’t figure in the story. Connery’s Malone was simply a beat cop who knew his way around Chicago – putting him in direct conflict with Capone smells of plot contrivance.

Still, we’re putting our scepticism to one side, now that De Palma has signed on to replace Antoine Fuqua in the director’s chair. If anyone can capture the stylistic verve and bloody gusto of the original, it’s De Palma, for whom The Untouchables is one of his most successful movies. True, the 65 year-old founding member of the Movie Brats has had a patchy run of late, but let’s hope the De Palma of Carrie, Untouchables and Mission: Impossible form turns up, rather than the guy who ‘directed’ Mission To Mars and Femme Fatale.

No word on casting yet. Meanwhile, De Palma has just finished work on the James Ellroy adaptation, The Black Dahlia, starring Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johannson, with another movie – horror movie, Toyer, to star Colin Firth – in the works. As ever, stay tuned for more news on those flicks and the Untouchables prequel.

IMO not a good idea... a prequel is not needed in any way. If he wants to do a Capone film, then do a Capone film.

Mentok said:
IMO not a good idea... a prequel is not needed in any way. If he wants to do a Capone film, then do a Capone film.

i agree,but with it being De-Palma i will remain hopefull that he can make this into something good

hunter rider said:
i agree,but with it being De-Palma i will remain hopefull that he can make this into something good

Yeah... just drop The Untouchables name.

Mentok said:
Yeah... just drop The Untouchables name.
Agreed.

Al was an engaging guy and it will be interesting to see a movie about his origins, but there's no reason to connect it with the Untouchables movie.

man... i dont like this, hope fully this'll turn out to be good ... but i doubt it

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1083

DePalma set for Untouchable Prequel!
Date: October 31, 2006

By: Ronnie Adams
Source: Production Weekly

Production Weekly is reporting that Brian DePalma is set to direct The Untouchables: Capone Rising, set as a prequel to his 1987 hit film about lawman Eliot Ness’ takedown of Al Capone.
The project is eyeing a June production start. Writing duo Brian Koppelman and David Levien penned the script for “Capone Rising,” which charts the Chicago mob boss’ rise to power and his relationship with police detective and nemesis Jimmy Malone, the character played in the original film by Sean Connery. The film starts on the eve of Capone’s arrival, and while Malone wasn’t the most corrupt cop, he operated at a time when every cop was on the take. Once he crosses paths with Capone, he sees a level of violence and criminality that causes him to have a moral awakening. “The Untouchables” was also a 1959-63 TV series starring Robert Stack as Ness. Both the series and the De Palma feature were based on the novel of the same name by Oscar Fraley.

I don't mind seeing a Capone film, that sounds awesome. But enough with this prequel stuff already.

This won't work.

DePalma disappointed me several times and I won't trust him now.

The Untouchables had DeNiro and Connery, good costumes, good sets, good music. But still I think it is lacking something. But I can't put my finger on it. The fact that it has Costner in it perhaps..

This sounds just....useless.

Hmmm,I'm very interested.
I loved the movie,uh,it was just so wonderfully done.
I need to sit and savour it again.

hunter rider said:
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16908

Director returns to helm Capone Rising
28 June 2005
If there’s one thing Hollywood loves right now, it’s a prequel. After all, recently we’ve had Anakin Skywalker’s descent to the Dark Side, Batman slapping on his crusading cape for the first time and later in the year we’ll see Jay Hernandez try to fill Al Pacino’s shoes in Carlito’s Way: The Beginning.

That movie is, of course, a Brian De Palma-free prequel to a Brian De Palma film – something that producer Art Linson is obviously keen to rectify with his latest project, The Untouchables: Capone Rising, a prequel to… well, go on, have a guess.

For today De Palma, the grand virtuoso of Hitchcockian setpieces, signed on to direct the flick, which will focus on the rise to prominence in the Chicago underworld of one Al Capone (played in the 1986 original by Robert De Niro), and his early clashes with worldly-wise beat cop, Jimmy Malone (the role that bagged Sean Connery an Oscar).

At first, the idea of an Untouchables prequel looks like, well if not exactly bad, but certainly unnecessary. By all means, make a movie about a young Al Capone who, after all, is a fascinating and complex individual. But there’s surely no need to try to tie it in, however tenuously, to a 19 year-old movie, especially when it seems that Eliot Ness – the man who forms The Untouchables, for heaven’s sake – won’t figure in the story. Connery’s Malone was simply a beat cop who knew his way around Chicago – putting him in direct conflict with Capone smells of plot contrivance.

Still, we’re putting our scepticism to one side, now that De Palma has signed on to replace Antoine Fuqua in the director’s chair. If anyone can capture the stylistic verve and bloody gusto of the original, it’s De Palma, for whom The Untouchables is one of his most successful movies. True, the 65 year-old founding member of the Movie Brats has had a patchy run of late, but let’s hope the De Palma of Carrie, Untouchables and Mission: Impossible form turns up, rather than the guy who ‘directed’ Mission To Mars and Femme Fatale.

No word on casting yet. Meanwhile, De Palma has just finished work on the James Ellroy adaptation, The Black Dahlia, starring Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johannson, with another movie – horror movie, Toyer, to star Colin Firth – in the works. As ever, stay tuned for more news on those flicks and the Untouchables prequel.
No good can come of this. :cmad:

MaskedManJRK said:
Sounds interesting--might be good. :)
I assure you it will not be good or even remotely decent.

Exclusive Script Review: The Untouchables Capone Rising!
Date: November 22, 2006

By: Ronnie Adams
Source: Latino Review

Like we reported to you last month, Brian De Palma is set to direct “The Untouchables: Capone Rising,” a prequel to his 1987 hit film about lawman Eliot Ness’ takedown of Al Capone. The project is eyeing a June production start. Writing duo Brian Koppelman and David Levien penned the script for “Capone Rising,” which charts the Chicago mob boss’ rise to power and his relationship with police detective and nemesis Jimmy Malone, the character played in the original film by Sean Connery. The film starts on the eve of Capone’s arrival, and while Malone wasn’t the most corrupt cop, he operated at a time when every cop was on the take. Once he crosses paths with Capone, he sees a level of violence and criminality that causes him to have a moral awakening. “The Untouchables” was also a 1959-63 TV series starring Robert Stack as Ness. Both the series and the De Palma feature were based on the novel of the same name by Oscar Fraley. El Mayimbe takes a look at the script in his weekly script review column.

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=37

Rating:C+
spacer.gif

You Might Like It ilm Preview
The Untouchables: Capone Rising​
Starring:
Screenplay: David Levien and Brian Koppelman
Director(s): Reviewed by: El Mayimbe - 11.22.06

THE UNTOUCHABLES: CAPONE RISING
By
David Levien and Brian Koppelman
115 pages
El Mayimbaso here...
HAPPY THANKS GIVING!
Since we are all stuffing ourselves this weekend con pabo I wanted to take a sec and address all my displaced East Coast Latinos out here in L.A. like yours truly. You see the biggest complaint I get from East Coast Latinos — other than how royally flat the asses are out here — is that Latin food in L.A. sucks big time. It’s a disgrace. Anyway, driving on Sunset the other day with the fellas, I stop at the light at the corner of Sunset Blvd and Gardner here in Hollywood and notice a big ass Puerto Rican flag sticking out like a sore thumb!
Que in el carajo es eso?!

Growing up in New York, you get used to seeing the flag all the time especially in June pero this is damn Hollywood we talking about! Curious as hell, I pull into the lot and discover THE FIRST EVER PUERTO RICAN RESTAURANT IN HOLLYWOOD — LA ISLA BONITA! Holy ****! You see, a crazy ass and ballsy Boricua from Brooklyn got damn tired himself of the bad Spanish food out here and opened up this spot not even two weeks ago! Being Dominican, I sat down with my entourage — also East Coast Boricuas for the ultimate Chuchifrito Pepsi challenge!
What’s the verdict?

A couple of Chuletas, Bistec Encebollado, Pollo Asado, and Arroz con Gandules later...
... it was like we were back at your Aunt Cuca’s Kitchen in New York!

The food was absolutely slamming! I am harsher and absolutely ruthless on the Spanish food out here than I am on bad writing so La Isla Bonita gets una bendicion from me. We were in El Cielo and I was thanking the Lord and the owner Abel Rivera for finally making the Caribbean cuisine manageable for us displaced New Yorkers in this city. So stop by and give this spot a shot. Bigger things are planned for the venue and the menu.

Tell Abel — EL MAYIMBE ME MANDO!
Now if only las nalgas out here got curvier...
Nourished with a good meal, I head back to the lair, plop down on the sofa and pick up the Untouchables Prequel script after reading in the trades that Brian DePalma is directing.
The problem is that I wish the script was as good as the meal I ate earlier.

The script is not bad but it isn’t good either. It’s okay. But I don’t blame the writer’s whatsoever. The structure is good, the beats are there.

Here is the problem. This prequel has a lot to live up to. It had Connery in his Oscar performance as Malone, it had DeNiro as Capone. Characters larger than life. Hell, even the secondary characters like Andy Garcia’s character shined.
Not only that, the script is missing...
..DAVID MAMET. The Demigod of Dialogue.

The dialogue and the characterizations are the prequels biggest flaws. The characters are flat in the prequel — nowhere near their counterparts in the future. The characterization blows. When DeNiro spoke Mamet’s dialogue, it made Capone mesmerizing. In the prequel, he is simply a thug who doesn’t say or do much. Sure he has an occasional monologue or two, but for the most part he is reduced to a typical movie heavy without any depth. None of that charisma that both Mamet and DeNiro brought to the character. That sinister charm is completely absent in the prequel.

The script is in it’s early stages but how the hell do you measure up to the poetry of David Mamet of all things?!
Art Linson, if you are reading this, get Mamet bro. Get him to do a pass. I just watched the documentaries on the special Collector’s edition dvd and it was Mamet’s script that got all those A caliber actors to bring their A game to the film.
So what is the setup?

We open with councilmen EDWIN MACY in Herald Square, NY giving a speech about how prohibition will be enforced. He goes home later and in the backyard plays with his daughter. Capone shows up in the backyard and blows away the councilman in front of his daughter. Capone goes home to his tenement and meets up with his wife Mae and his 9 year old son Sonny. Capone tells Mae that they have to move.

We super in on Chicago, 1922 and are in Colosimos as patrons hear the radio broadcast of the Dempsey-Firpo fight. A 30 year old JIMMY MALONE, who's getting drunk with his detective buddies, is celebrating Malone’s promotion to detective.
Also at Colosimos are Capone along with CHARLES FISCHETTI and some other goons.

Malone meets his love interest ELLA, who is the daughter of the mayor and bumps into Capone by accident at the Bar. They discuss the Dempsey fight which PAYS OFF later towards the end of the script.

The Dempsey fight has a lot to do with the theme of the prequel of having heart and getting back up after being knocked down. Malone’s character will get knocked down a lot.

In the first half of the prequel, Capone and Malone are friends. He is not on the take like the rest of his colleagues. Malone does a favor for Capone when Capone is at a ballgame with his son Sonny. Capone’s goons get arrested but not Capone because he is there with his kid.

When Capone goes on his rise to power, whacking everybody, a witness is left that Capone and his killer FRANKIE YALE missed. A maid HALINA. She hid in the stairwell during the assassination of JIM COLOSIMO. Malone protects the maid from the gangsters and the corrupt cops by having her hide out in his brother BRENDAN’s house.

Malone goes to plead with Capone personally for Halina’s life after Capone comes out of a brothel. Capone is an alpha male in the prequel banging call girls left and right —, perhaps how he got his syphilis. Malone wants Capone to let Halina get out of town on the next train and live. Capone owes Malone a favor. Capone agrees, or so we think.

She gets whacked on the train. Capone changed his mind.
It is the turning point for Malone’s character where he tries to fight the Capone organization by getting the Irish gangsters to go to war with Capone ultimately culminating in the climax of the movie — The St. Valentine’s Day massacre.

We get to see how Malone becomes the beat cop that Sean Connery eventually becomes.
That’s the story.

So I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving. I’m off to go get my pernil.
Check back in next week when we take a look at the craziest script I read in 2006. A rock and roll biography movie based on the book about a certain heavy metal band in the 1980’s.
Can you guess which one?

HASTA EL PROXIMO CAPITULO...
…YO SOY EL MAYIMBE!

De Palma is a hack.

I agree with the guy. Get David Mamet to re-write the script. It can work if he does that.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1991

Cage To Play Young Capone
Date: May 11, 2007

By: Kellvin Chavez
Source: MTV Movies Blog

The folks over MTV Movies Blog alerted us that they've learned that Nicolas Cage will play a young Robert DeNiro in one of his most celebrated roles.

Cage will portray Al Capone in “The Untouchables: Capone Rising”. Directed by Brian DePalma, the flick is a prequel to his 1987 classic “The Untouchables”, and revolves around the early dealings of the infamous gangster with Jimmy Malone - the Irish cop role that won Sean Connery an Oscar.

According to the site Cage’s reps confirmed that he is now officially attached to the project.

The film's Principal photography will begin in October, some 21 years after its predecessor was filmed.

newspic1991hh3.jpg

I don't know.
Hopefully, this film won't be a disappointment, but De Palma is either hit or miss for me.

ironic, Cage actually wouldn't have made a bad Elliot Ness...

I can see Cage in the part, and hopefully it will pull him out of his slump. But I'm a bit iffy.

hmm, Cage as Capone. should be an interesting performance to say the least.

Every time I want see a Depalma film, I pop in a Hitchcock film ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"