Tom Hardy To Play Al Capone In New Movie ‘Fonzo’ From Josh Trank

This movie is strange in both good and bad ways. I can totally see why anyone could dislike this, as well as see why some could like this. This is not a point A to Z story of the rise of Capone, nor is it a story of him at his prime. This movie deals with the waning sanity of a notorious mobster at the most fragile point in his life. Trank tells the story through the POV of Capone’s crumbling mind and it’s pretty uncomfortable(which is by design) and I have to give Trank kudos he certainly doesn’t romanticize Capone at all and makes you feel the sheer hell of a man alone in isolation with dementia. We’re just as unsure if things are unreal or real as the protagonist.

Hardy once again is an actor who commits, and that’s something to admire even if you end up disliking his performance. I loved Hardy since Bronson and I kind of dig his performance here. He continues his trend of giving performances where you barely can tell what the heck he’s saying but here it’s in service to the character. His brain functionality is deteriorating so...yeah, it makes sense that he wouldn’t be able to speak coherently.

6/10. I can’t tell you it’s a good movie exactly but I found the movie oddly engaging. I wasn’t bored.
Also: Am I the only one who thinks Kyle Maclancan is a dead ringer for Stephen Colbert here? The glasses make the resemblance all the more uncanny.

Last edited:
Hardy is definitely, um......interesting.....to watch even in his not so great roles, but IMO his performance here is a mugging hamfest in a bad way, where he's obviously been given free rein by Trank and gives in to his own worst tendencies toward being hammy and overly affected.

Also the movie feels like it's taking forever to not really say anything.

This was the definition of not-for-everyone and I... kinda loved it? This is such a bizarre swing for the fences and it ends up having more in common with The Fly than it does The Godfather. And Tom Hardy is really going for it in a Nic Cage-at-his-best sort of way. It's not overacting, it's mega-acting. Big, crazy, ugly, vanity-free choices.

It's not always a pleasant movie to sit thru, but I'll take this over a standard biopic any day.

Last edited:
Man, Josh Trank really did not deserve this second chance. His sole accomplishment was just letting Tom Hardy screw around and be an absolute maniac. I'm convinced the only reason Chronicle worked was because the found footage format masked Trank's dull, ugly, lifeless style.

The ***** of it is, Hardy and Trank actually seem to like each other, considering they're apparently doing their other TV miniseries or whatever about the origins of the CIA.

I'm having trouble picturing Tom Hardy playing some CIA agent. It seems too toned down and straightforward.

But then you could probably cast Hardy as some strait-laced buttoned-down spook and still have it come out as this bizarre character.

The ***** of it is, Hardy and Trank actually seem to like each other, considering they're apparently doing their other TV miniseries or whatever about the origins of the CIA.

I'm having trouble picturing Tom Hardy playing some CIA agent. It seems too toned down and straightforward.

But then you could probably cast Hardy as some strait-laced buttoned-down spook and still have it come out as this bizarre character.
Hardy can do straight-laced well. Ever see Locke? That's my personal favourite Hardy performance. Given Trank's clear desire to be seen as a purveyor of weird/unique movies (which has yet to translate to anything other than desperate, embarrassing pastiche) I'd imagine there'll be some colourful twist to the CIA thing though.

Capone is absolutely Hardy's worst performance. It's still also really fun to see him completely unchained even if it's in an excruciatingly awful movie.

Hardy can do straight-laced well. Ever see Locke? That's my personal favourite Hardy performance. Given Trank's clear desire to be seen as a purveyor of weird/unique movies (which has yet to translate to anything other than desperate, embarrassing pastiche) I'd imagine there'll be some colourful twist to the CIA thing though.

Capone is absolutely Hardy's worst performance. It's still also really fun to see him completely unchained even if it's in an excruciatingly awful movie.

I know Hardy can play a role "straight", it just feels like it's increasingly few and far between occasions that he does it. He's also pretty grounded in Warrior.

And agree about Capone being Hardy giving in to his own worst tendencies in a mugging overly affected hamfest that's almost a secondhand embarrassing self-parody.

Tom Hardy is basically the perfect choice to play Al Capone and they completely wasted the opportunity.

That's my qualm too. They don't even make him look anything like Al Capone, which.....in a world where you can make Christian Bale look like Dick Cheney, and Gary Oldman look like Winston Churchill, it should be less of a stretch to make Tom Hardy look like Al Capone, but they just make him look like some weird decrepit Tom Hardy who's been sitting out in the sun too long.

Tom Hardy is basically the perfect choice to play Al Capone and they completely wasted the opportunity.
But the last twenty minutes of The Irishman as directed by a semi-talented film student who desperately wants to be Cronenberg is so much more interesting than a proper historical film! Apparently.

That's my qualm too. They don't even make him look anything like Al Capone, which.....in a world where you can make Christian Bale look like Dick Cheney, and Gary Oldman look like Winston Churchill, it should be less of a stretch to make Tom Hardy look like Al Capone, but they just make him look like some weird decrepit Tom Hardy who's been sitting out in the sun too long.
I'm just sayin'. A crime drama biopic directed by someone like Martin Scorsese nets Hardy an Oscar for this role. Handedly.

Tom Hardy playing CIA? is this a joke?

they cast BANE in the iconic role instead of the one true CIA?

So is Hardy more over the top than Pacino in Scarface? They way you guys are talking gives me the impression Hardy wanted to shoot for something like that.

It’s a completely different kind of movie and performance, but I’d say yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"