Daredevil The weirdness of Netflix...

daddydivine

I'm black, I can say it.
Reaction score
How do you know if the show is a success? If it was on network or cable we'd have viewership numbers or ratings or something. I feel like this show is an incredible success but even Netflix hasn't released any information yet. What criteria does Netflix use to consider a show a massive success? I hear House of Cards is huge I still don't know how that is. Did a bunch of people sign up after HOC came out?

It makes it a little confusing on anticipating season 2 or the budget that Netflix will give the show depending on how much money it'll make.

Oddly, that's the way Netflix prefers it.

Netflix is aware of the viewership, but many industry insiders state they decline to release ratings. They don't have advertisers, so they don't need to release the actual numbers.

Their shows clearly get the industry notice and the pop culture relevancy, so the ratings are there. They've dropped hints before, but won't release actual numbers or details.

Even the producers & creators of Netflix shows say they don't get specific numbers in terms of ratings & viewers.

And in theory, that can be a good thing. It can prevent the salary negotiations / skyrocketing cost. If you know your show is a hit, it's easier to demand more money, etc.

Netflix seems to have a system in place, & it's working.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. So the entire process depends on secret meetings between Netflix execs. I understand the process better now. But I love this format so much I want a sign it will continue.

What I hate so much about Netflix, is when you click on the next episode, they spoil it with pictures of the episode.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. So the entire process depends on secret meetings between Netflix execs. I understand the process better now. But I love this format so much I want a sign it will continue.

In theory, I think it would. I'm sure it's racking up the ratings.

The potential issue is whatever is in the agreement that Netflix & Disney had in place (for the Marvel shows)....There was the separate exclusive movies rights for 2016 was also included.

There are supposed to be 4 series (Dare, Jessica Jones., Iron Fist., & Luke Cage) then that Defenders mini series with all of the heroes, totaling some 60 episodes.

The question is will there be multiple series running at the same time? Doesn't seem likely, but who knows? Success changes alot of things, so there could very well be meetings taking place now or on the horizon.

This show is a critical (and most likely) a ratings hit.....so a "one & done" scenario seems highly unlikely, but again, this show was always a part of something bigger, so we'll have to wait & see.

Theres no way Daredevil isn't considered a massive hit. Its blowing up my facebook and twitter feeds.

Daredevil is a very high-rated show that takes place in the MCU. Personally, I would be willing to bet that it's the single most popular show on Netflix right now.

Yeah, even in some my classes people have been talking about Daredevil. Word of mouth is pretty crazy when it gets out there like that.

Oddly, that's the way Netflix prefers it.

Netflix is aware of the viewership, but many industry insiders state they decline to release ratings. They don't have advertisers, so they don't need to release the actual numbers.

Their shows clearly get the industry notice and the pop culture relevancy, so the ratings are there. They've dropped hints before, but won't release actual numbers or details.

Even the producers & creators of Netflix shows say they don't get specific numbers in terms of ratings & viewers.

And in theory, that can be a good thing. It can prevent the salary negotiations / skyrocketing cost. If you know your show is a hit, it's easier to demand more money, etc.

Netflix seems to have a system in place, & it's working.

This /\

"Ratings" in an archaic system.
So is the weekly, seasonal, distribution system.

"TV" is no longer separate from "films." It's all just content to the consumer, and now the industry is truly being shaped by the demands of the consumer, rather than the executive.

I have no doubt the show is a ratings hit (and it's release weeks before age of ultron only raises it's profile)

But even more importantly is the critical reception, from both the general audience & critics. This is the company's first foray into a grittier, mature show & it was a success.

This means that more risk might be taken with future projects & that it's able to handle the shifts in tone within the mcu.

I think we have our answer...
Netflix’s streaming-video service is available in more than 50 countries, for less than 10 bucks per month. Even so, hundreds of thousands of people have downloaded pirated copies of its “Marvel’s Daredevil” original series in the first week of its release.

Since Netflix premiered the street-hero series April 10, there have been 2.1 million individual users that have downloaded episodes of the show worldwide via torrent networks, according to data from piracy-tracking firm Excipio.

The only TV show that topped “Daredevil” in the April 10-16 time frame is HBO’s “Game of Thrones” — which remains the most-pirated TV show — with 6.5 million illegal torrents over the same period, the Excipio data shows. But that includes past seasons of “GoT,” not just the premiere episode of season 5 that leaked onto pirate sites a day prior to HBO’s TV airing. (Incidentally, that did not prevent “Game of Thrones” from registering its best-ever television viewership.)

For “Daredevil,” Brazil led all territories on piracy, with 190,274 torrent downloaders from last Friday through Thursday, according to Excipio. (Note that Netflix has offered streaming service in Brazil since 2011.) The next biggest countries for piracy were India (149,316), the U.S. (144,351), the U.K. (119,891), France (105,473) and Australia (101,025). Except for India, Netflix currently offers streaming service in each of those nations.

In any case, Netflix is coming off a huge quarter, having added 4.9 million streaming subscribers worldwide — handily beating expectations — which has led to a spike in its stock price. In the U.S., Netflix has 39 million streaming-video members.
Source: http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-marvels-daredevil-plundered-by-pirates-1201473689/

How do you know if the show is a success? If it was on network or cable we'd have viewership numbers or ratings or something. I feel like this show is an incredible success but even Netflix hasn't released any information yet. What criteria does Netflix use to consider a show a massive success? I hear House of Cards is huge I still don't know how that is. Did a bunch of people sign up after HOC came out?

It makes it a little confusing on anticipating season 2 or the budget that Netflix will give the show depending on how much money it'll make.

What makes you think there aren't viewership numbers? Sites know what kind of hits they are getting.

I suspect part of why Netflix doesn't publicize their viewership data is to avoid people making incorrect comparisons with TV ratings. The value of a new show, to Netflix, is its ability to increase and retain subscriptions. How well a show does that is likely not connected to how many people watch a given show on a given night, at least not in any simple way.

All I know is, Netflix has got to be releasing the numbers to someone, because I heard the high viewership for 24 and Heroes is the reason why those show have returned after being "canceled".

I think for Netflix word of mouth and reviews are a lot more important. Now that they have original content, Netflix has become a brand, so they seek out shows that will raise the perception of that brand. Right now when people think of Netflix they think of House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and now Daredevil, which says to new people "hey, Netflix has tons of highly reviewed shows that everyone talks about, maybe I should check them out"

Anyways, Netflix forever earned my undying loyalty when they resurrected Arrested Development. I never thought I'd get to see the Bluth's again, let alone for a full new season, and Netflix made it happen. I will always love them.

Netflix isn't your typical model, so fans can be less concerned about ratings and all that other nonsense.

Netflix is more about delivering content to cater to its viewers. Hence why Netflix is financing revivals like Arrested Development, Full House, etc. There is actually a nostalgic group of viewers and demand for that. A lot of those viewers probably already have a Netflix account.

Not to mention, a few years back when Netflix changed its subscription model, it really hurt the company publicly. People got really angry about the changes. Now that streaming HD video content has become more commonplace, audiences are more accepting of it and shows like this get the public back on their side.

Well...this was the war room during the countdown for the premiere...

tumblr_nmkw9vadXp1usws96o1_1280.jpg

I'm sure they have numbers on how many people are watching the show. You're not going to pay for a 3rd season of House of Cards if no one is watching. You won't order a new season of Daredevil if no one is watching. However, like someone said, they don't have advertisers to answer to, so they don't need to release those numbers. HBO will release their number due to being on TV, but Netflix is all online. It's like Hulu, you never hear how many people have watched the show on Hulu, but a series can get renewed if enough people are watching through these online services.

I wouldn't be shocked if Netflix *sells* information about how shows and movies do on their service, though. After all, they have access to a lot of potentially valuable viewer data, no reason they should give it away for free.

I'm sure another reason they don't release the numbers is so they don't give cast & crew the idea of(if they're really well liked in what they do) holding Netflix up for a better deal in the future. This happens in TV and movies all the time since everyone can see how well something did and extrapolate from that what they need. With Netflix there are no back end deals as I understand it. They get paid up front and that's it. I rather like this new model. How many IP's have been messed up by talent trying to squeeze more $ for themselves out of whatever studio owns the IP they work on? A lot, I'd imagine.

But how does Netflix fund these shows though? I mean their main stream of revenue is subscribers right? I know theyre lucrative, but does that really pull in enough money each year to be spending hundreds of milliona producing all these shows? I'm sure DD is mostly paid for by Marvel and ABC but what about House of Cards and Orange, Marco Polo and their other original shows?

But how does Netflix fund these shows though? I mean their main stream of revenue is subscribers right? I know theyre lucrative, but does that really pull in enough money each year to be spending hundreds of milliona producing all these shows? I'm sure DD is mostly paid for by Marvel and ABC but what about House of Cards and Orange, Marco Polo and their other original shows?
Based on the production values of premium cable vs. networks, I'd say subscribers seem to bring in far more revenue than advertisers.

It's no different than HBO and similar TV stations that get their income through subscriptions as opposed to ad revenue. And it must be worth it, because they keep making these shows.

And Daredevil was paid for by Netflix. They paid Marvel, and Marvel produced the series. Marvel gets profit from Netflix and Netflix gets profit from increasing their subscribers.

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the insight, guys. I've always been curious about that. I guess all those $7.99 streaming subscriptions must add up. ;)

Even though I had subtitles disabled, I kept getting some subtitles popping up in German...weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"