The world's first time machine?

Take fuel for example. We burn fuel to move our current methods of transportation forward in position and in time. To move backwards in time we would have to create a device that functioned by producing fuel instead of burning it.
That is the most ******** thing I've read today.

The car does not burn fuel to move forward in time.
It has nothing to do with the perceived forward motion of time.
Time goes on whether the car has no fuel in the tank, or a full tank.
Please, dude.

That is the most ******** thing I've read today.

The car does not burn fuel to move forward in time.
It has nothing to do with the perceived forward motion of time.
Time goes on whether the car has no fuel in the tank, or a full tank.
Please, dude.

Maybe his car has a flux capacitator? :huh:

jag

They were able to make particles travel the speed of light by slowing down the light that it was traveling in.

The world's first time machine? Tunnel to the past could open door to future within three months, say Russians

Last updated at 13:26pm on 7th February 2008

Time travel could be a reality within just three months, Russian mathematicians have claimed.

They believe an experiment nuclear scientists plan to carry out in underground tunnels in Geneva in May could create a rift in the fabric of the universe.

future060208_468x314.jpg

--Life imitating art? Actors Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd in the movie Back to the Future. Scientists say that time travel could be a reality in just three months--

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) hopes its "atom-smashing" tests - which aim to recreate the conditions in the first billionth of a second after the "Big Bang'" created everything - will shed invaluable light on the origins of the universe.

But Irina Aref'eva and Igor Volovich, of Moscow's Steklov Mathematical Institute, say the energy produced by forcing tiny particles to collide at close to the speed of light could open the door to visitors from the future.

According to Einstein's general theory of relativity, any large amounts of matter or energy will distort the space and time that surrounds it. If the energy or mass is large enough, it is claimed that time can be distorted so much that it folds back on itself - creating a wormhole, or time tunnel, between the present and the future.

But Dr Brian Cox, a member of CERN and one of Britain's leading experts in particle physics, is highly sceptical about the Russian claims, calling them "nothing more than a good science fiction story". He said: "Cosmic ray collisions in the upper atmosphere are far more energetic than anything we can produce. "They have been occurring for five billion years, and no time travellers have appeared. "

"Stephen Hawking has suggested that any future theory of quantum gravity will probably close this possibility off, not least because the universe usually proceeds in a sane way, and time travel into the past isn't sane."

Cynics often point out that if time travel was really possible, we would have been visited by people from the future. However, Einstein's laws of physics suggest that time travel is only possible into the past as far as the point when the first time machine was invented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no doubt there is some type of experiment going on in Russia. It may even be related to time travel. But whether or not that is their direct objective is beyond me. A time machine seems almost impossible without divine intervention.

First of all its pretty presumptous to say that we have not been visited by anyone from the future as a way to dismiss the possibility of time travel. How do they know? Would someone from the future really show up and admit it?

How about the possibility that some of the UFO sighting over the years are actually humans from the future.

Also I agree that time travel would be impossible without divine intervention but perhaps that intervention has all ready taken place with the creation of the human mind. We haven't even come close to achieving our potential as a race of beings.

Thats what I was thinking. Either that or the guy is out of his gourd.

It's just an example. Used to show that one would need to create a completely self sufficient device that could power itself by creating it's own fuel, in order to move throughout time. This CERN project is not meant to be a time-travel device but some of the greatest discoveries were made by mistake and...

this looks a lot like a proposed 'stargate.'
105973331_901116c608.jpg
105974340_5f5c545b85.jpg

This is great....it's like a 2012 conspiracy theorist, except he'll get disproven so much sooner!
It's gotta happen sometime, better sooner than later.

BTW: Particle collision is nothing new. At all. We actually have simulated Big Bang conditions in the past (and even created and stored antimatter that resulted from the collision).
Yes but this next test is going to be the largest BY FAR and I believe the first one conducted with this current device.

What you're not understanding is that we're not actually recreating the Big Bang, at least, not to scale. We're recreating the conditions of the B.B. on a vastly smaller scale. Such a small scale, in fact, that it's been done before without consequence.
Not to this magnitude though.
--------------------------------
"They are getting ready to see the universe born again.

Again and again and again — 30 million times a second, in fact.

Starting sometime next summer if all goes to plan, subatomic particles will begin shooting around a 17-mile underground ring stretching from the European Center for Nuclear Research, or Cern, near Geneva, into France and back again — luckily without having to submit to customs inspections.

Crashing together in the bowels of Atlas and similar contraptions spaced around the ring, the particles will produce tiny fireballs of primordial energy, recreating conditions that last prevailed when the universe was less than a trillionth of a second old.

Whatever forms of matter and whatever laws and forces held sway Back Then — relics not seen in this part of space since the universe cooled 14 billion years ago — will spring fleetingly to life, over and over again in all their possible variations, as if the universe were enacting its own version of the “Groundhog Day” movie. If all goes well, they will leave their footprints in mountains of hardware and computer memory.

“We are now on the endgame,” said Lyn Evans, of Cern, who has been in charge of the Large Hadron Collider, as it is called, since its inception. Call it the Hubble Telescope of Inner Space. Everything about the collider sounds, well, large — from the 14 trillion electron volts of energy with which it will smash together protons, its cast of thousands and the $8 billion it cost to build, to the 128 tons of liquid helium needed to cool the superconducting magnets that keep the particles whizzing around their track and the three million DVDs worth of data it will spew forth every year.

The day it turns on will be a moment of truth for Cern, which has spent 13 years building the collider, and for the world’s physicists, who have staked their credibility and their careers, not to mention all those billions of dollars, on the conviction that they are within touching distance of fundamental discoveries about the universe. If they fail to see something new, experts agree, it could be a long time, if ever, before giant particle accelerators are built on Earth again, ringing down the curtain on at least one aspect of the age-old quest to understand what the world is made of and how it works.

“If you see nothing,” said a Cern physicist, John Ellis, “in some sense then, we theorists have been talking rubbish for the last 35 years.”

Fabiola Gianotti, a Cern physicist and the deputy spokeswoman for the team that built the Atlas, said, “Something must happen.”
------------------------------------------
If you actually think no bad can come of this than you are more foolish than me for thinking it can.

If they seriously thought a catastrophe would arise from all of this, they wouldn't perform the experiment. I'm sick of this notion that scientists are the loonies that are seen in movies that either want to rule the world, or want to destroy it. It's ridiculous.
One word - Trynobyl

It's gotta happen sometime, better sooner than later.

Yes but this next test is going to be the largest BY FAR and I believe the first one conducted with this current device.

Not to this magnitude though.
--------------------------------
"They are getting ready to see the universe born again.

Again and again and again — 30 million times a second, in fact.

Starting sometime next summer if all goes to plan, subatomic particles will begin shooting around a 17-mile underground ring stretching from the European Center for Nuclear Research, or Cern, near Geneva, into France and back again — luckily without having to submit to customs inspections.

Crashing together in the bowels of Atlas and similar contraptions spaced around the ring, the particles will produce tiny fireballs of primordial energy, recreating conditions that last prevailed when the universe was less than a trillionth of a second old.

Whatever forms of matter and whatever laws and forces held sway Back Then — relics not seen in this part of space since the universe cooled 14 billion years ago — will spring fleetingly to life, over and over again in all their possible variations, as if the universe were enacting its own version of the “Groundhog Day” movie. If all goes well, they will leave their footprints in mountains of hardware and computer memory.

“We are now on the endgame,” said Lyn Evans, of Cern, who has been in charge of the Large Hadron Collider, as it is called, since its inception. Call it the Hubble Telescope of Inner Space. Everything about the collider sounds, well, large — from the 14 trillion electron volts of energy with which it will smash together protons, its cast of thousands and the $8 billion it cost to build, to the 128 tons of liquid helium needed to cool the superconducting magnets that keep the particles whizzing around their track and the three million DVDs worth of data it will spew forth every year.

The day it turns on will be a moment of truth for Cern, which has spent 13 years building the collider, and for the world’s physicists, who have staked their credibility and their careers, not to mention all those billions of dollars, on the conviction that they are within touching distance of fundamental discoveries about the universe. If they fail to see something new, experts agree, it could be a long time, if ever, before giant particle accelerators are built on Earth again, ringing down the curtain on at least one aspect of the age-old quest to understand what the world is made of and how it works.

“If you see nothing,” said a Cern physicist, John Ellis, “in some sense then, we theorists have been talking rubbish for the last 35 years.”

Fabiola Gianotti, a Cern physicist and the deputy spokeswoman for the team that built the Atlas, said, “Something must happen.”
------------------------------------------
If you actually think no bad can come of this than you are more foolish than me for thinking it can.

One word - Trynobyl
I love how the bolded portions do absolutely nothing to show that catastrophe is imminent, and are taken so far out of context it's dazzling. I also love the fact that since this is a larger-scale experiment, that somehow automatically translates into disaster when nothing points to it actually being disastrous.

Can't wait for May. :up:

I love how the bolded portions do absolutely nothing to show that catastrophe is imminent, and are taken so far out of context it's dazzling. I also love the fact that since this is a larger-scale experiment, that somehow automatically translates into disaster when nothing points to it actually being disastrous.

Can't wait for May. :up:
Allright buddy, don't cry to me when the rivers and seas are boiling, and there are 40 days of darkness, and mass hysteria.

Everybody, get ready to travel 15 seconds into the future. Are you ready? GO!

Yeah man, we got there like 3 minutes ago.

It's just an example. Used to show that one would need to create a completely self sufficient device that could power itself by creating it's own fuel, in order to move throughout time. This CERN project is not meant to be a time-travel device but some of the greatest discoveries were made by mistake and...

this looks a lot like a proposed 'stargate.'
105973331_901116c608.jpg
105974340_5f5c545b85.jpg

Wow! Impressive looking! I'd hit it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS