The Worst President in History?

For the people that want Bush impeached, a question...

Do you really wany this man as President?

dickcheney200507171847283vp.jpg

CConn said:

He should definitely have run for President. I could see his campaign slogan........

VICTORY OR DEATH (To you all by shotgun)

I don't think thier has been a great president since JFK was in office.

Victor Creed said:
Abe Lincoln was definitely the worst president. His actions such as the laughable "emancipation proclamation" which ended up causing the US it's worst casualties. All that because Lincoln didn't like the newly formed Confederacy because they seceded. He could've cared less about slavery staying or going, he just didn't want to look stupid.

Ego much?

Plus....he was creepy looking. :eek:
Actually the build up to the Civil War dates back to 1854 with the Kansas Nebaskra law...and by the time Lincoln was President they had already seceded as you noted. But Lincoln campaign on a very anti slavery platform. In fact during their debate Douglas is quoted as saying “If you desire negro citizenship… if you desire them to vote on an equality with yourselves… then support Mr. Lincoln and the Black Republican party, who are in favor of the citizenship of the negro.”. During his own Presidency in fact he made it very clear that slavery and perserving the Union were separate issues for him. He would remind America that perserving the Union. However he deeply cared about the halt of expansion of slavery, in fact he deeply felt slavery was unconstitutional.

Even in his youth Slavery was an important issue to him
Thomas Lincoln was a carpenter and farmer. Both of Abraham's parents were members of a Baptist congregation which had separated from another church due to opposition to slavery. [/qoute]

Even in his early Politics he felt strongly about slavery

In 1846 Lincoln ran for the United States House of Representatives and won. While in Washington he became known for his opposition to the Mexican War and to slavery. He returned home after his term and resumed his law practice more seriously than ever.

In 1856 he came out strongly against the expansion of slavery in this speech

"Resolved, That we hold in accordance with the opinions and practices of all the great statesmen of all parties for the first sixty years of the administration of the government, that under the Constitution, Congress possesses full power to prohibit slavery in the territories; and that while we will maintain all constitutional rights of the South, we also hold that justice, humanity, the principles of freedom, as expressed in our Declaration of Independence and our National Constitution, and the purity and perpetuity of our government require that that power should be exerted, to prevent the extension of slavery into territories heretofore free."

In yet another lost and unrecorded speech he outlined the following

The people listened for about 90 minutes. William Herndon, Lincoln's law partner, "attempted for about fifteen minutes, as was usual with me then to take notes, but at the end of that time I threw pen and paper away and lived only in the inspiration of the hour." Lincoln spoke extemporaneously, and he clearly identified slavery as the root cause of the country's problems. One delegate said, "Never was an audience more completely electrified by human eloquence. Again and again, during the delivery, the audience sprang to their feet, and by long-continued cheers, expressed how deeply the speaker had roused them." Although no verbatim report of the speech exists, it seems clear from statements of those present that the key ideas Lincoln stressed were as follows:

1. That there were pressing reasons for the formation of the Republican Party.
2. That the Republican movement was very important to the future of the nation.
3. All free soil people needed to rally against slavery and the existing political evils.
4. The nation must be preserved in the purity of its principles as well as in the integrity of its territorial parts, and the Republicans were the ones to do it.

Quotes from Lincoln himself

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

"You think slavery is right and should be extended; while we think slavery is wrong and ought to be restricted. That I suppose is the rub. It certainly is the only substantial difference between us."

The first shots (April 1861) of the Civil War were fired due to Lincoln's election some feel...but not the emancipation proclemation which wasn;t signed until a year later on July 1962. The document hardly caused the war and it was hardly laughable.

I also like the fact he introduced income tax. I've always felt income tax is an excellent (though highly unpopular) way to tax in our tax system. People in this country unfortunately contradict themselves by liking low taxes and high spending. People like lots of services, they never want to give them up. ever. You may say cut this or cut that (and most teens and young adults do with ease)...however by and large people like their services and they like lots of them. Especially when you get older. The AARP, our most powerful lobby has the most money spent on their services which they hold onto tight...plus each state has their little pet policies they cannot let go of. So for that income tax is an excellent way to pay for these things, and its a shame that unlike Europe we have such a problem paying it. It goes right back to you in some way shape or form...but at a Federal level its very hard to see that. For this reason people polled have very little problem with state taxes.

Being named the worst US president in history is actually not so bad. No one remembers presidents who were just ok or even good. However ppl will always remember who was the best of all time and the worst of all time. Even now Bush's name is widely known around the world. Could the same be said of previous US presidents? Look at Hitler. There's not a single person in Germany who doesn't know his name. He is their most famous leader.

zanos said:
Being named the worst US president in history is actually not so bad. No one remembers presidents who were just ok or even good. However ppl will always remember who was the best of all time and the worst of all time. Even now Bush's name is widely known around the world. Could the same be said of previous US presidents? Look at Hitler. There's not a single person in Germany who doesn't know his name. He is their most famous leader.
Old phrase "If you can't be the best at something, be the worst at something"

And as I told my Rugby team once about coming in second (before the game)

"No one remembers the king of the losers" :D

Shuley said:

Name 4 great things JFK did that make him a great president, getting assassinated doesn't automatically make you great president.

CConn said:

I always felt somewhere inside that guy was a human being...but he needs find that guy first before I consider him a potential candidate:down :o

However understand if Bush got impeached Cheney would be the world's biggest lame duck (even without an election). I mean to be part of a Presidency where the President is fired so to speak is like to be the guy who has to make ERON look truthworthy again. Cheney would be trusted by Congress and the people as far as Strom Thurman's dead corpse could throw him. He would be the most ineffective President ever.

CConn said:

If he was president, there'd be an open season on humans:(

Rolling Stone thinks Bush is the worst president in history?! Gasp! Shock!

I never saw that coming!

Victor Creed said:
Abe Lincoln was definitely the worst president. His actions such as the laughable "emancipation proclamation" which ended up causing the US it's worst casualties. All that because Lincoln didn't like the newly formed Confederacy because they seceded. He could've cared less about slavery staying or going, he just didn't want to look stupid.

Ego much?

Plus....he was creepy looking. :eek:

As I listed him, he's not the worst, but he's definitely up there in the ranks. There have been more than the ones I listed that have basically done nothing in office, which is just as bad as blundering through.:down

Shuley said:

I disagree. The Late Ronald Reagan.

Corinthian™ said:
Clinton was ok. Kinda like a Cleveland or a Wilson

If your throw out his personal scandals (which may have been politically motivated.) he was pretty good.

ScottyBBadd said:
If your throw out his personal scandals (which may have been politically motivated.) he was pretty good.

And if your throw out his actions against terrorism.

[and how was him gettin head politically motivated?]

Tangled Web said:
He did capture Saddam.

Was Saddam a threat to us?

No.

But still.

Actually our military captured Saddam. Bush doesn't really deserve much credit for that. Just like he didn't derserve much credit for how fast the Iraqi's army was defeated. This is the United States. We have a strong military. We already had one before he was President, and we will have one after he is president, unless he botches that up too.

There are certain things that America deserves credit for and not Bush.

Admiral_N8 said:
And if your throw out his actions against terrorism.

[and how was him gettin head politically motivated?]

It was to help him get more Mtv Spots :O

Spider-Bite said:
Actually our military captured Saddam. Bush doesn't really deserve much credit for that. Just like he didn't derserve much credit for how fast the Iraqi's army was defeated. This is the United States. We have a strong military. We already had one before he was President, and we will have one after he is president, unless he botches that up too.

There are certain things that America deserves credit for and not Bush.

So no credit for the good, only the bad right?

Admiral_N8 said:
So no credit for the good, only the bad right?

Well how much credit does he deserve for the capture of Saddam?

In other words.

What exactly did he do besides sit behind his desk? That was all left up to the military generals to do that stuff.

Spider-Bite said:
Well how much credit does he deserve for the capture of Saddam?

In other words.

What exactly did he do besides sit behind his desk? That was all left up to the military generals to do that stuff.

Umm without Bush we wouldnt have gone into Iraq at all

And do you blame Bush for not capturing Osama?

ScottyBBadd said:
Yeah, just throw out the purgery and he's not bad.

Palpadious said:
Reagan is the most overrated president in history.

Nah, Washington and Lincoln are more overrated. If anything, Reagan is underrated to some degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"