The Zendaya is Mary Jane thread

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Britney, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Britney Registered

[​IMG]

It appears all of the trades are reporting Zendaya is playing a character called Michelle.

I wanted to start this thread so we can discuss her character and if we think Michelle is actually a secret name for another character.

I for one am hoping she's actually Mary Jane. I've seen some people speculate she's Betty, Liz, Felicia or even a small character from the comics called Michelle.

Who are you all hoping she's playing? If you think it's actually a character named Michelle, what are you hoping for her character?

#1 Britney, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited by moderator Immortalfire: Aug 18, 2016
  2. MyDudeSpidey Marvel's

I think she's playing Michelle.

3. BatsDC Side-Kicker

I think she's MJ.

4. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

5. Mike Murdock Registered

Since it's easy to edit a title, it's no big deal, but I would have held off until we get either a description of the character or a true official announcement. Michelle comes off a bit like a name used for the audition process rather than the character's actual name, but it's impossible to be certain either way.

6. CaptainWagner Searching (P) (he/him)

In my own little world in which I like to imagine I'm in charge of this movie, she'll be playing Roderick Kingsley's daughter Michelle. :o

I have no clue realistically, though.

7. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Maybe Zendaya is Michelle, the Homecoming queen.

8. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Mary Jane.

That she's a good character.

9. Nicko-Ray Madness

I think she's playing Michele Gonzales from the comics. Utilized differently of course.

10. Web-Head Black Widow is coming

Felicia Hardy

11. Fincher Coming Undone

Not Mary Jane. Other than that, I'm not really particular.

12. Web-Head Black Widow is coming

Especially since it doesn't sound like she has a big role in Homecoming

13. Mike Murdock Registered

Well, reports say otherwise. She may not be a romantic interest, but they do think she'll have a big role.

14. Britney Registered

I don't think she would've been the third person they cast / announced if she didn't have a big role. I am hoping she's MJ and may not be the love interest in this film, but perhaps a future one.

15. Tilapia Registered

I don't think Mary Jane should show up in this trilogy until the last film. Just have Felicia or some other minor love interests. Have them meet in the end before they go off to college. No Gwen Stacy either. The high school love life always turns out to be flaky at best these days anyhow.

16. CaptainWagner Searching (P) (he/him)

Im sorry, but that would be horrible. Gwen and Peter's love life in general are integral parts of the character. You can't just skip them because they've been done before or might seem "flaky".

17. TheWebbedDevil Herald of Galactus

Based on what we know about any characters named Michelle in the comics, I'm keen she's playing Michelle Gonzales and nothing else. Marvel Studios and Sony ain't fooling me into thinking she's playing Mary Jane! the Likeness just doesn't fit and for all-intensive purposes I think she looks like the perfect fit to play Michelle Gonzales!

18. Tilapia Registered

They are not going to keep repeating characters. Doesn't matter if its in the MCU now and all is well. That's why a black/hispanic chick is the lead actress here. Call it what you want and get with the times. It makes zero box office sense to heavily feature Gwen or MJ. I'm thinking cameos at best until the 4th or 5th film... if we get that far. Zendaya is your Gwen/MJ substitute for the teenage years, and no one is going to complain about her looks this time out.

19. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

To be fair, Feige said they'd do a mix of familiar and non-familiar characters so we will see some repeats.

However, I do agree with you in regards to Gwen that we probably won't see her for a while if ever, lol.

20. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Rather have her as Michelle Gonzalez. Don't want her as MJ or Gwen.

21. ernesth100 The Writing Avenger

I dont care who she is. She's friggin hot!

22. QWoods Registered

Yea as long as she's not Gwen or MJ I'm fine. They should definitely be saved or one of them should be introduced now as a friend and the other after two or three films. I'm hoping that she's either Liz Allen or Felicia Hardy.

23. harryoscop Registered

Same for me, as long as she's not MJ.

24. Poppy Registered

I'm not sure it works that way. After Peter, the other being announced as far as the contracts work imo. Like Vulture is being casted right now yet they would announce him before Gwen,Harry and co?
    This villain will be likely around for one movie and the supporting cast will be for I suppose, the three of them.

And maybe they're doing the opposite, they keep the best for last :woot:

25. harryoscop Registered

She's not the lead actress, both Hollywood Reporter and Variety said she'll be a minor character in this movie. And you're basically saying you want them to just throw out YEARS of lore and potential stories with these characters who've been integral to the Spider-Man comics since the 60s just because we've seen them in previous films? Well, let's get something straight here, there are DOZENS of different versions of these characters, many ways to give the GA something fresh.

You can't be serious here. :dry: People aren't going to see this movie because the female lead, they're going to see it because of Spider-Man. Like WTF? And as a matter of fact, having MJ in the movie might positively affect the Box-office because of familiarity with the character from the Raimi series. But I don't people will care either way. That's a ridiculous assessment.

Yeah.. No. Marvel wont just ignore Peter's most well-known love interest until the third or fourth film. How about MJ AND Gwen for the teenage years, considering that they've both been featured in teen versions of Spider-Man? How about that? How about not ignoring key characters just for the sake of change and bringing in new ones while retaining some of the old ones? (Like the comics do) That's a much better alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.