Homecoming The Zendaya is Mary Jane thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[YT]HQoRXhS7vlU[/YT]

zendaya-gif-kc-1.gif

:funny:

Only my weakness... Hoop earrings

One thing is for sure, no one is going to be complaining about the hotness factor. Feels like Save by the Bell all over again.

One thing is for sure, no one is going to be complaining about the hotness factor. Feels like Save by the Bell all over again.

Zendaya and Laura aren't who I would choose for MJ in terms of looks, either.

Saved by the Bell isn't a standard I would hold this or anything else to, though, since Tiffani Thiessen is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

#TiffaniThiessenforMJ

Her last name will probably begin with a J, effectively making her MJ of this universe

Or it will be like Skyfall and The Dark Knight Rises. "Michelle is actually my middle name (or nickname). My parents call me Mary Jane."

I could totally see that happening.

Michelle Johnson doesn't really work though... too generic. Maybe they omit the last name. It could be a case of a wait and see approach to see if they really want to sub her for real MJ, depending on the fan outcry and backlash (which I don't think matters all that much). It's going to be hard finding a natural red headed green eyed actress, as much as you can dye and wear contacts these days. There will never be a natural MJ out there.

I'm leaning more and more that Zendaya is essentially filling in as Parker's one true until we get evidence on the contrary. I frankly don't think Marvel gives a crap about offending fans when it comes to race changing. This is a business. I think Marvel may be disillusioned with having the docile white girl love interest in every flick.

Or they could just call her Mary Jane

Michelle Johnson doesn't really work though... too generic. Maybe they omit the last name. It could be a case of a wait and see approach to see if they really want to sub her for real MJ, depending on the fan outcry and backlash (which I don't think matters all that much). It's going to be hard finding a natural red headed green eyed actress, as much as you can dye and wear contacts these days. There will never be a natural MJ out there.

I'm leaning more and more that Zendaya is essentially filling in as Parker's one true until we get evidence on the contrary. I frankly don't think Marvel gives a crap about offending fans when it comes to race changing. This is a business. I think Marvel may be disillusioned with having the docile white girl love interest in every flick.
is it anymore generic than Peter Parker. That was merely an example. There are any number of last names that begin with J that are flashier. That just happened to be the first one that came to mind

As for your final statement, outside of Iron Man with Pepper, they dont do this with every flick and I guess maybe Thor to a degree with Jane.

Last edited:
Well, Pepper and Jane... yes. Hayley Atwell had some spunk.

Back on topic, have we gotten a major race swap in the MCU (Nick Fury doesn't count)? Nor do minor supporting characters like Heimdall.

If Marvel is doing the bait and switch, they should just go with Mary Jane and be done with it. The only reason you would give her a different name is because it's anti-climactic, in that you know they'd end up together... or maybe not?

If these supporting high school characters aren't of any significance later in Parker's life then what's the point of adding them to begin with? That's the argument I have for subbing or swapping most of them in the MCU. You can still bring in real MJ and Harry later, but you'd need to drop other significant characters from the comics to make room for total newcomers.

I'm fine with Zendaya playing Michelle Gonzales and while I'm all for a culturally diverse Midtown cast, Gwen and MJ need to be like their faithful comic counterparts.

Ehhhh Zendaya isn't Hispanic.
Edit : If she is Michelle I guess Its a race change they can get away with since Michelle isn't iconic..

Last edited:
It could be a case of a wait and see approach to see if they really want to sub her for real MJ, depending on the fan outcry and backlash (which I don't think matters all that much). It's going to be hard finding a natural red headed green eyed actress, as much as you can dye and wear contacts these days. There will never be a natural MJ out there.

Well put.

Ehhhh Zendaya isn't Hispanic.
Edit : If she is Michelle I guess Its a race change they can get away with since Michelle isn't iconic..

You're not kidding. she's only had 26 appearances in the comics, and one of them was an issue of Daredevil.

Do people really believe she is the third role cast?

You're not kidding. she's only had 26 appearances in the comics, and one of them was an issue of Daredevil.

Probably why some folks are speculating that it could be a codename.

I think we have to wait for other casting news to truly know. If we keep getting random names like "Michelle" and "Manuel" then A) They're not revealing their real names or B) They're the real names and we're not getting Harry, Gwen, MJ until college or later films.

She tested with Holland and her role will expand later on. Sounds like Michele Gonzalez for sure...:whatever:

Who the hell is Michelle?

For that matter, who the hell is Zendaya?

All the reports from RDJ joining the cast have mentioned Zendaya is playing one of the female leads... which is kind of opposite from initial reports that she was playing a minor role that would be expanded in the future.

I really can't see her NOT being MJ now if we are assuming she's an existing character, will play a role in the future films and has a lead role in this film. I doubt Marvel would finally be able to make a Spidey film and make Michele Gonzales one of the female leads when Spidey has such iconic female characters.

Or it will be like Skyfall and The Dark Knight Rises. "Michelle is actually my middle name (or nickname). My parents call me Mary Jane."

I could totally see that happening.

That would be very stupid lol. Like a cheat.

I think it'd be good if shes playing Liz or Felicia. As we have yet to explore them as characters. If its like Ultimate, maybe shes just the female friend, or maybe he has a crush on her but never makes anything of his feelings. So they stay friends.

Personally character-wise, I would prefer Liz, cause I'd rather not see another rich girl like Gwen. But if it was Felicia, it might be nice to see her eventually become Black Cat.

I'd say hold off on MJ, though. Easy tigers, I'm sure she will eventually appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"