The Zendaya is Mary Jane thread

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Britney, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techno Bacon Just imagine an avvy.

..I honestly had no idea he said that in his video. I just watched it now.

2. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

[YT]HQoRXhS7vlU[/YT]

:shr:

3. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I don't think Mary Jane sounds old fashioned. Sure, it's quite quintessentially 1960-ish, but it doesn't sound old fashioned like a name like Peggy or Ethel or Mildred from the 1940s.

The name Mary Jane sounds very stylish and trendy and fashionable, which is the perfect name for the classic MJ from the comics. I don't think she could have a more perfect name.

Maybe Mary or Jane on their own might sound a bit plain, but it's the combination of those two. I'm not even sure it is two separate names as such for Miss Watson, but maybe more like a double-barrelled name, without the hypen for aesthetics' sake.

It certainly sounds more trendy than a name like Michelle, which sounds a bit boring by comparison.

4. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

Mary Jane definitely sounds old or an old person talking about weed

5. UltimateMarvel Registered

MJ = Michelle Jackson

6. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

She's definitely Mary Jane. Now, whether that is just a nickname for her or her real name that she tries to avoid because it sounds old fashioned, I have no idea.

7. Techno Bacon Just imagine an avvy.

I still don't think she's MJ, but the name thing we're talking about makes sense to me.

8. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If it's just her nickname, then that's even worse. That means that Mary Jane Watson isn't even her real name anymore in this version, but either just a nickname or an alias. And if she's ashamed of being called Mary Jane and insists on Michelle, then Michelle is what we'll probably get most of the time.

9. X Knight Straight Edge

what's wrong with the name MJ or Mary Jane?

if you include the character, but change the name to make it more "modern" or "fashionable," then that begs the question.......why bother to use the character in the first place?

if you write the character so that she's ashamed of her own name because it's too old fashioned, so she uses a different name instead, again, why bother even using that character in the first place?

Clark sounds like an old fashioned name, too. Same with Lois. who names their kid Lois anymore? In the next iteration of Superman, let's change their names too to "update" the characters.

Maybe Clark is ashamed of his name Clark because it sounds too old fashioned, so he goes by the name Kai Kent instead, cuz it sounds cooler. Or maybe he goes through a stage where he's proud of his alien heritage, so he insists everyone address him by his real birth name of Kal instead.

I mean......as long as we get the spirit and essence of the character right........right??

#984 X Knight, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  10. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Chris Kent and Louise Lane. :o

And I agree. What's the point of using MJ if they don't even want to use her name or change everything about her?

11. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

I'm more offended about a name change than the race swap.

12. X Knight Straight Edge

might as well create your own original character, so you can name her and write her anyway you want.

13. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

MJNEINO: Mary Jane Not Even In Name Only. :o

14. X Knight Straight Edge

in a strange way, I agree with you.......lol.

your name is part of your identity. and for a fictional character, the name is tied to how we identify the character ( obviously ).

changing the character's name is almost like rejecting the very identity of the character itself.

15. ernesth100 The Writing Avenger

It's prolly her full name. Michelle Jane Watson. But Michelle is a long name to keep saying, so thery prolly give her the nickname Mary.

But I could care less what they do with her. Just tossing round ideas. I came for Peter. :)

16. DigificWriter Registered

Her full name could easily be Mary-Jane Michelle Watson, and she chooses to go by her middle name.

It's not out of the question at all, and it is quite feasible that Peter doesn't know her full name until she chooses to tell him.

There are people I went to high school with and who ran in my "inner circle" who know me only by the name I choose to go by, and had to be told what my full name is.

17. X Knight Straight Edge

Creative: "We're going for a more diverse cast, so we're going to race change MJ."

Me: "Ok. well I'll give you the benefit of doubt - as long as she really captures the essence and spirit of MJ. I want that fun loving, free spirit, party girl from the comics"

Creative: "Well, actually, she's going to be super dry and awkward, and she's gonna dress really frumpy and buttoned up and look really plain. We're trying to downplay her beauty to set up a remarkable transformation at the end."

Me: "But..........that doesn't even remotely sound anything like MJ. Is she even going to be called MJ?"

Creative: "Well, actually, we think the name Mary Jane is so yesterday, so we're going to have our MJ not actually call herself MJ because she's ashamed of the name and she'll go by Michelle instead."

Me: "So.......basically.........this character isn't really MJ. :huh:"

Creative: "Not really. But look how diverse the cast is!! :o"

18. Techno Bacon Just imagine an avvy.

I'm not saying they should change her name if she is Mary Jane, I'm saying if they want to keep using the name Michelle (which they seem to be using) maybe she's embarrassed by her name Mary Jane and uses the name Michelle.

19. Fincher Coming Undone

She prefers Michelle.

20. Marvel Registered

All this change is going to do is take away ticket sales for no reason. Seriously, had they stayed true to the books no one would have *****ed, not even the SJW morons. They opened this can of worms for no reason.

21. harryoscop Registered

MCU Shield of protection. It's a wonderful thing, man. :oldrazz:

22. sl500jazz chasin' the blues away

A name change would be beyond stupid. Either she's Mary Jane Watson or she's not. Even Michelle being a middle name or nickname sounds ridiculous. I'm either hoping that "Michelle" isnt used in the movie at all, or that theory that another poster came up with about Ned or Peter screwing up her name.

23. X Knight Straight Edge

there's truth to that.

in fact, isn't Flash's real name Eugene Thompson, and his nickname is Flash?

He doesn't like his real first name and goes by Flash instead cuz it's cooler.

so, I'm not saying a character can't do that.

it works for Flash because that's actually part of his character in the comics. He is a character known by his nickname, instead of his first name.

With MJ, you could say she prefers the nickname MJ instead of the full Mary Jane. ok, fine.

but to give her the middle name of Michelle ( which she never has had ), and have her go by her middle name instead of her first name, that's adding a change to the character that isn't really needed, imo.

you are adding nuances and complexities to the character that aren't really needed and only further serve to change her character from the source material.

24. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Again, I HIGHLY doubt the new MCU Spider-Man is gonna fall short of some money because some fans got upset about a biracial Mary Jane.

Anyone honestly thinking that is a legitimate concern..I don't know what to tell you.

25. harryoscop Registered

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.