No other superhero movie could compare to Ang's Hulk

HULKSTER'04

Civilian
Reaction score
Ang Lee is considered to be as 1 of the greatest movie helmers of our time(i loved his work).
Although it did not made great in the box office for the current measure of success as most people believes, it took the character of the Hulk into a different level of reality and inspired the few who admires the greatness of the arts and literary works. The only thing that made people not like that film as much was because it wasn't the Hulk that we grew up with(not so closely related with the comics), but immagine if the Hulk was a legend like the warriors of Mu dhan in ancient China thousands of years ago? We would have viewed this film differently, i say put the comics aside for a while and see the movie for what it is and then you'll see a masterpiece that no other superhero films could be compared to it.:up:

I think Ang Lee's Hulk is amazing, it is a superb movie that has stood the test of time also, its funny, i hate all of AL's other work, but something about the Hulk just grabbed me and still hasnt let go!

actually i feel superman returns is a decent comparison to it.

one thing for certain is that it has yet to date, cgi or storywise, i think its personal appeal for me will be a long one...

HULKSTER'04 said:
The only thing that made people not like that film as much was because it wasn't the Hulk that we grew up with

actually I think what made people dislike the film was its ridiculous plot.

November Rain said:
actually i feel superman returns is a decent comparison to it.

one thing for certain is that it has yet to date, cgi or storywise, i think its personal appeal for me will be a long one...

Yeah same here NR, i can see comparisons between SR and Hulk in a number of ways, strange isnt it?

it's because they stray away from the bull**** and we get a glimpse of what these characters would be like if they were real as apposed to putting them in a hybrid reality world.

the pacing of both films is also very similar as well as the glammed down action scenes which are mostly there to serve a purpose of pushing the plot forward more than being there just for the sake of it.

^i think Singer copied Ang's style, he knew exactly what a masterpiece was.
Bad publicity brought the film down which is why i HATE these movie critics, i think they're between a fanboy and a scrouge either way they suck big time!
SR recieved more kudos than Ang's Hulk coz there were more Superman fans than there are Hulk's. And the plot was ok making David Banner the absorbing dad was a great twist as to tie the villain w/the character of the hero to make the film more interesting.IMO

November Rain said:
it's because they stray away from the bull**** and we get a glimpse of what these characters would be like if they were real as apposed to putting them in a hybrid reality world.

the pacing of both films is also very similar as well as the glammed down action scenes which are mostly there to serve a purpose of pushing the plot forward more than being there just for the sake of it.

Yeah i think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there NR, we actually get really deep into these characters and know their deepest thoughts which is a good thing IMO. They are also a lot deeper than most CB movies.

I'm surprised to see any comparison between Hulk and Superman Returns. Hulk was imaginative, beautifully shot, emotional, and had a good story, all the things Superman returns wasn't. Singer made a tribute to the Donner films, right down to the rediculous "Lex Plan". By the way, New Krypton could have been destoyed by one missle from the Navy.

Hulk was simply too artistic for the average movie fan, and too many people's first thought of the Hulk is the horrid TV show. They were confused.

^where have you been dude? That's just the argument i was looking for.
Ang's Hulk was clearly above SR!
If you guys enjoyed a greek tragedy like Troy and others you absolutely will enjoy Hulk.

HULKSTER'04 said:
If you guys enjoyed a greek tragedy like Troy and others you absolutely will enjoy Hulk.

I'm usually in the Spidey forums. But if I see any other rediculous comparisons between Hulk and some more mediocre, unimaginative, unoriginal films, like SR, I'll give my 2 cents.

HULKSTER'04 said:
i hated troy, it glamourised achilles while it made hector, a man who fought solely for the love of his brother and died for him come across as a baddie...

what a load of hog.

Dude, superman returns and the hulk are quite similar films in pacing and general movement. They both have big character development scenes before any glimpses of heroism and they both end with massive feats of strength at the end where the hero is believed or left for dead.

I mean both heroes ending up leaving the ones and thing they love at the end as well, there are tons of comparison, even down to public reactions as well as inner struggles..

matthooper said:
I'm usually in the Spidey forums. But if I see any other rediculous comparisons between Hulk and some more mediocre, unimaginative, unoriginal films, like SR, I'll give my 2 cents.
you know the funny thing is that...

looking on from a negative aspect, i've heard the hulk being described as (below) mediocre, unimantinative and uninspiring.

based on that, it's still in line with your view of returns.

be careful on how you sling mud when comparing films, there are more than enough hulk haters on this board that would happily put you in your place..

heck, why don't you just PM Dragon and try him out if your game...

;):o

November Rain said:
you know the funny thing is that...

looking on from a negative aspect, i've heard the hulk being described as (below) mediocre, unimantinative and uninspiring.

based on that, it's still in line with your view of returns.

be careful on how you sling mud when comparing films, there are more than enough hulk haters on this board that would happily put you in your place..

heck, why don't you just PM Dragon and try him out if your game...

;):o

I enjoyed Hulk, but criticism of it doesn't bother me. I can understand any criticism. It's not a movie for everyone.

I'm a Spider-Man fan. So that's the only time that rediculous criticism really bothers me.

As for Hulk vs Superman Returns. Pacing and some themes may be similar, but I was really comparing the two in terms of originality and creativity. There is little argument that at the core, Hulk was an original take on the character, while Superman Returns showed no originality or imagination. However, that said, Singer did that by design. He wanted to continue the Donner films. He failed, in my opinion, but that's another issue.

you've got a point when it comes to originality aspects however i feel they played out quite similarly.

leaving comparisons aside, where i feel you think superman returns has failed, i feel he has done a remarkable job in keeping a film feeling modern while trying to keep it in continuity with something 20 years its senior.

a lot of directors would prefer to put their own stamp on it and be damned not to keep a feel based on recent prequels, let alones some that are 20 odd years old. you only have to look at the bond and batman films for this as well as even ratner's take on singer's x-men.

returns for me is a gap bridging film allowing for a basis of continuity to follow.

but it's all open to interpretation, i respect your views, i can see why you would validate them in the way you did.

November Rain said:
you've got a point when it comes to originality aspects however i feel they played out quite similarly.

leaving comparisons aside, where i feel you think superman returns has failed, i feel he has done a remarkable job in keeping a film feeling modern while trying to keep it in continuity with something 20 years its senior.

For me 90% or Superman Returns failures are boiled down to Lex and his rediculous plan. I liked Routh and even liked the feel and look of much of the film. The look and feel is not really the problem, it's the story, or lack of.

I posted this in a SR thread:

Even if I could overlook the melodramatic Lois/Superman stuff, the kid, the leaving without any real consequence for Earth, what can't be overlooked is Lex and his plan as the big antagonist. I'll even put aside that one missile from the Navy would have destroyed New Krypton. Nothing from his ascension to power, to the rediculous plan, to the pulling off of the plan did anything but ring hollow. Not one thing in the plan or the culmination of the plan had any imagination or originality. It was a big rock with kryptonite. Even if Lex had won and sold NK land, who would want it? It had no beauty, no style, no nothing. Imagine what could have been. The Kryptonian technology, the beasts of Krypton, it was a big ugly rock. That's what Lex could have used to try and defeat Superman, real cool kryptonian technology. Singer used kryptonite, and didn't know that a chunk embedded in his back would actually render him powerless. Not one defender of the film can deny that one fact.

November Rain said:
but it's all open to interpretation, i respect your views, i can see why you would validate them in the way you did.

In turn, I respect your opinion. It's certainly not a bad film, to me just a dissapointing one.

Whilst Hulk has some great moments, and good character displays, It does have a terrible narrative, does anyone here actually like the hulk-dogs? No, becuase it was stupid. The whole film was drawn out more than it needed to be, and lacked a decent plot. It's not a great film by any stretch, so films that could match up to this in terms of comic book movies. LOTS.

All the beter SH movies that spring to mind: Blade, Batman, Batman returns, Superman, superman 2, BB, Daredevil DC, Hellboy, Spiderman, spiderman 2, blade 2, X-men, X2. There are others, but I haven't mentioned them as they are not necessarily 'super' heroes.

Cyrusbales said:
Whilst Hulk has some great moments, and good character displays, It does have a terrible narrative, does anyone here actually like the hulk-dogs? No, becuase it was stupid.

Actually yes I did. I think it's a great scene.

Really????? My respect for the hypsters is declining:(. The dogs are claerly silly, it's supposed to be a tragic journey for our protagonist, not a monster poodle, that is badly animated.

matthooper said:
As for Hulk vs Superman Returns. Pacing and some themes may be similar, but I was really comparing the two in terms of originality and creativity. There is little argument that at the core, Hulk was an original take on the character, while Superman Returns showed no originality or imagination. However, that said, Singer did that by design. He wanted to continue the Donner films. He failed, in my opinion, but that's another issue.

Well stated. And I agree.

Cyrusbales said:
Really????? My respect for the hypsters is declining:(. The dogs are claerly silly, it's supposed to be a tragic journey for our protagonist, not a monster poodle, that is badly animated.
you comments about the dog got me thinking last night...

would you have preferred if David banner had created 'an abomination' to go after betty instead of some random dogs. An unstable but 'base level' stronger being than bruce himself based on the same formula he gave to the dogs.

so we would have gotten to see 'an abomination' (not the abomination) fighting the hulk in the woods.

then when the authorities cease alll of david's work, they could realise another method of making super soldiers that doesn't rely on getting samples from the hulk to make a much more stable 'abomination' that would be used for the second film perhaps?

Originally Posted by November Rain

i hated troy, it glamourised achilles while it made hector, a man who fought solely for the love of his brother and died for him come across as a baddie...

what a load of hog.

Dude, superman returns and the hulk are quite similar films in pacing and general movement. They both have big character development scenes before any glimpses of heroism and they both end with massive feats of strength at the end where the hero is believed or left for dead.

I mean both heroes ending up leaving the ones and thing they love at the end as well, there are tons of comparison, even down to public reactions as well as inner struggles..

I understand your loath for the movie(Troy), but c'mon it was as great as any greek tragedy! Hector may have fought his brother's war, but that wasn't all of it. If anything he was fighting for his people and their wellfare, IMO i think what was on Hector's mind "heck we're gonna go to war anyways so why bother making peace w/the greeks by now it is too late" so you see his brother's mistakes was not all he died for, because the greeks wants to destroy Troy and they care for nothing else even Paris.

And the reason why SR had the same pacing w/Hulk is because as i have said earlier is because Singer copied Ang's work. Anyone who is brilliant enough to understand a great story knows that Ang's take on Hulk was awesome, but to those who enjoy nothing more than dumb-down action films it wouldn't have worked out for them.

Originally Posted by Cyrusbales

Dude you seriously need to review the Hulk movie!
I think you do not understand a movie masterpiece and you just go for all the action in an 'action' movie. Well hate to disappoint you, but that's not all the Hulk film was, as Ang Lee has said it was gonna be a greek tragedy kind of plot and he did helm a great greek tragedy-like story.

HULKSTER'04 said:
And the reason why SR had the same pacing w/Hulk is because as i have said earlier is because Singer copied Ang's work. Anyone who is brilliant enough to understand a great story knows that Ang's take on Hulk was awesome, but to those who enjoy nothing more than dumb-down action films it wouldn't have worked out for them.
well if you are using that logic, then you could say the hulk followed a similar pacing to superman:the movie since many people consider returns to be very similar to it, even some suggest it's TOO similar.

so who is copying who...

singer copying ang lee, or ang lee copying donner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"