The Force Awakens Things about the movie I fear

Taarna

Civilian
Reaction score
1 ) Balancing out the established characters with the many new ones which need character development and tying in the plots. You need a longer film to do this correctly.

2 ) Limited screen time for the coolest new characters. AKA The Darth Maul mistake as he deserved much more in the Phantom Menace.

Possibly this time its Supreme Leader Snoke ( played by Andy Serkis ) or Max von Sydow's un-named character.

3 ) Too much screen time for Finn. He's already the poster boy for the trailers. Very risky.

4 ) Old Luke in a light saber battle. It has to happen. I fear Hamill is a bit old to make a light saber duel look cool, even with great CGI and stunt men,

5 ) Han Solo and Leia having couple arguments. Pass

6 ) Trailers. They have been a little short on action.

I'm not too sure why #3 is a concern or a risk.

Action scenes in the original Star Wars:

-Blockade Runner Capture
-Escape from Tatooine
- The Escape from the Detention Level
- Vader v. Obi-Wan
- Tie Attack
- The Battle of Yavin

Trailers from TFA:
- Village Attack
- Escape from the Star Destroyer
- Attack on Rey and Finn on Jakku
- The Falcon Chase
- Gang Ship
- Attack on the Castle
- X-wing Battle
- Lightsaber Battle

Yeah, short on action. :funny:

I don't know what trailers you have been watching but we have equal amounts of Rey, Kylo and Finn.

1 ) Balancing out the established characters with the many new ones which need character development and tying in the plots. You need a longer film to do this correctly.

2 ) Limited screen time for the coolest new characters. AKA The Darth Maul mistake as he deserved much more in the Phantom Menace.

Possibly this time its Supreme Leader Snoke ( played by Andy Serkis ) or Max von Sydow's un-named character.

3 ) Too much screen time for Finn. He's already the poster boy for the trailers. Very risky.

4 ) Old Luke in a light saber battle. It has to happen. I fear Hamill is a bit old to make a light saber duel look cool, even with great CGI and stunt men,

1) The original characters aren't the stars of this movie. I consider them a bit above cameos. The new actors/actresses are the new faces of the franchise.

2) Agreed.

3) The more the better as far as I'm concerned. He looks awesome.

4) If they can pull off Yoda in a bad@$$ CGI battle, then have him walk away with a cane they can do wonders with Hamil.

5) Not really a big deal, people will want to see some sort of continuity of their relationship. I'm doubting it will be anything more than random comedic relief.

6) Saving the good stuff to be seen for the first time on the big screen.

If Luke does have to engage in a lightsaber duel at some point in this new trilogy I doubt it will be like Yoda/ Dooku or Yoda/Sidious. He won't be jumping and spinning and all that horse****. I figure he will duel more like Vader in ESB. Calm and collected. Yeah he might have to jump to a higher ledge or jump down or something simple, but we probably won't see him spinning and hopping like a bunny rabbit on cocaine.

If Luke does have to engage in a lightsaber duel at some point in this new trilogy I doubt it will be like Yoda/ Dooku or Yoda/Sidious. He won't be jumping and spinning and all that horse****. I figure he will duel more like Vader in ESB. Calm and collected. Yeah he might have to jump to a higher ledge or jump down or something simple, but we probably won't see him spinning and hopping like a bunny rabbit on cocaine.
True. :funny:

Watching Yoda in the prequels was utterly ridiculous, it was like watching Sonic the Hedgehog with a lightsaber, just stupid.

Luke will be more like Obi-Wan was. BB8 will pretty much be lumped in with C3PO and R2. The latter two droids probably play second fiddle to BB8. Han and Chewie will play the same role they did in the originals, but I have a feeling that Han's character aspects that shined in the OT will be split between Finn and Poe, as will Luke's.

I feel like Finn will have Han's hotheadedness and love angle, while having the Jedi arc that Luke had. Poe will be a lot more subtle and without a straight love plot like Luke, but will be "the pilot" like Han (yes I'm aware Luke was also a pilot).

Leia will probably be a mother figure with very few scenes. My guess is she'll be the one to explain to Rey and Finn that they have Luke's sabre etc.

Rey will be a cross between Leia and Luke.

The problem with Maul wasn't his lack of screen time, it was that they killed him off. The short screentime worked to the advantage of how badass he was.

The Emperor had absolutely zero screen time in the first film. He was mentioned ONCE. In the second film, he was on a hologram for fifty seconds.

He's an amalgamation of Luke and Han, as Rey is an amalgamation between Luke and Leia. He'll should get a lot of screentime. I feel like it'll be pretty well even between him and Rey, followed VERY closely by Poe.

It'll be better than Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader, and even that fight isn't bad.

To be honest, I feel like their convos will be more like Han complaining about the young generation, and Leia saying they weren't so different. That'll probably be the extent of it.

You sure you're watching the trailers for TFA?

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

I don't fear anything. This movie looks like it will give me everything I could possibly ask for. Bring on Dec 18th already!

Why would the secondary lead getting a lot of screentime be a problem?

Last edited:
I guess he feels like Finn is being promoted as the lead instead of Rey.

Kylo Ren will be lackluster and will be used for coolness like the recent Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

post-66216-mad-max-thats-bait-gif-imgur-t-DECK.gif

I don't fear anything. This movie looks like it will give me everything I could possibly ask for. Bring on Dec 18th already!

And if you don't get Jacen and Jaina? :oldrazz:

Kylo Ren will be lackluster and will be used for coolness like the recent Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

Why do you expect Lucasfilm and JJ to do that with Kylo? TFA was made by an entirely different studio. None of the producers, crew, writers, editors etc from Marvel Studios had anything to do with the production of TFA.

God dammit, Apollo, the 19th of December will be very interesting!

Now, now. To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a "fear" thread. Every time someone denounces the "skepticism" thread in the BvS forums, they are reminded that people have every right to have their reserves about that movie. And before someone throws out a "Yeah, but that's because MoS sucked," I would remind you that the last THREE Star Wars movies were f***ing awful, and even though there's a new creative team here, that's not an automatic guarantee that this movie will be awesome.

Furthermore, I worry that the movie will be hailed as awesome even IF it's terrible, because for whatever reason I've always found hardcore Star Wars fans to be the easiest fanbase to appease. Sure, they'll agree with you that Jar Jar Binks is an abomination or that Hayden Christiansen can't act to save his life, but they'll also go on for hours about how kickass Darth Maul was or how Revenge of the Sith was some amazing triumph and not just another CGI crapfest with more laser blasts than usual.

Now granted, it probably shouldn't matter what other people think but if they turn out a sh** movie and people praise it anyhow, then what incentive do they have to do better the next time around? So all I'm saying is... as much as I want this movie to be amazing (and I do), I don't think we can crown it as the greatest cinematic achievement of all time until we actually see it.

My chief concern right now is that JJ & Co. seem to be resting on their laurels a bit too much in the marketing in that they've shown and revealed so little about the film. They KNOW they don't need to show anything; people will see the film anyway. And that makes me worry that the film could turn out like Avatar (another movie where very little was revealed until a short time before the release): an amazing-looking film with a fairly weak plot and some paper-thin characters. I hope that's not the case though.

If it turns out to be a weak film, then those guys aren't resting on their laurels, they're doing preemptive damage control.

To add to this thread, my one and only concern is that the movie is based too much on ANH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"