The Last Jedi What would you have done differently?

Not every villain is scary through sheer power. Kylo is not a good villain like Vader in that regard. But, let's look at pro wrestling. Yeah, you have guys like Triple H who always seem to win and pound people into bloody messes. But, look at Ric Flair. He won all the time, but would get thrashed in 95% of the match before he won. He always appeared beatable but would win through cheating or something like that. My point is, you can have a good heel without them being OP. Kylo in this case is a good villain because he is unhinged, can't control himself, etc. His flaws make him interesting. I am curious to see what a guy like that looks like as Emperor. We already saw the OP Palpatine or Snoke versions. We've treaded that ground. Kylo will be something new. I find that refreshing.

But they keep telling us how powerful Kylo Ren is. It's not my interpretation, it's a fact.

As for wrestling, the way you build a heel like Triple H is to have him win almost all of the time. That makes people hate him more and they can't wait to see a face come and beat him, which also makes them get behind the faces more.

What they've done with Kylo and Rey is a great example of when wrestling doesn't work. People don't care about the heel that never actually win and make them frustrated, and Rey is the face the company is trying to push down the audience's throat which makes some go against it.

This actually does fit pretty well with the Roman Reigns. The company wants to push how awesome Rey is so she just succeeds at everything, but that doesn't make a character interesting so some of the audience turns against it. Just like it has been with Reigns. Kylo is the Bray Wyatt that's been pushed up to become champion, but since he's been jobbed out previous to that no one takes him seriously, but the crowd is more behind him because he's seen as a better performer than Regins that hasn't gotten his due.

With Luke I guess it's like bringing back Shawn Michaels and have him look bad and act out of character to make Roman Reigns look good.

But they keep telling us how powerful Kylo Ren is. It's not my interpretation, it's a fact.

As for wrestling, the way you build a heel like Triple H is to have him win almost all of the time. That makes people hate him more and they can't wait to see a face come and beat him, which also makes them get behind the faces more.

What they've done with Kylo and Rey is a great example of when wrestling doesn't work. People don't care about the heel that never actually win and make them frustrated, and Rey is the face the company is trying to push down the audience's throat which makes some go against it.

This actually does fit pretty well with the Roman Reigns. The company wants to push how awesome Rey is so she just succeeds at everything, but that doesn't make a character interesting so some of the audience turns against it. Just like it has been with Reigns. Kylo is the Bray Wyatt that's been pushed up to become champion, but since he's been jobbed out previous to that no one takes him seriously, but the crowd is more behind him because he's seen as a better performer than Regins that hasn't gotten his due.

With Luke I guess it's like bringing back Shawn Michaels and have him look bad and act out of character to make Roman Reigns look good.

I think John Cena is a better fit for Rey. Reigns has more hatred than she does, so I see the division more like John Cena in the day. Not gonna lie, I am picturing Luke giving Kylo Sweet Chin Music, and it is amazing :up::hehe:

But wrestling is not quite a perfect comparison in build up. In wrestling, a feud will last MONTHS and have house shows, TV shows, and a PPV to flesh it out. Films condense all that into 2 hours. So, the comparison isn't quite perfect. Kylo is stated to be powerful, but Rey is stated to be his equal in the light, so him not beating her still isn't a stretch for me.

I think John Cena is a better fit for Rey. Reigns has more hatred than she does, so I see the division more like John Cena in the day. Not gonna lie, I am picturing Luke giving Kylo Sweet Chin Music, and it is amazing :up::hehe:

But wrestling is not quite a perfect comparison in build up. In wrestling, a feud will last MONTHS and have house shows, TV shows, and a PPV to flesh it out. Films condense all that into 2 hours. So, the comparison isn't quite perfect. Kylo is stated to be powerful, but Rey is stated to be his equal in the light, so him not beating her still isn't a stretch for me.

Cena was extremely hated at one point so I don't think it's very different. Cena also feels more original than Rey does, so I'm still leaning towards Reigns.

The Sweet Chin Music image is nice, but given what Luke got to do Shawn would just come back to show how awesome Cena/Reigns is and amount to nothing more than a distraction, despite the audience expecting an actual active part in the feud, while Cena/Reigns gets to beat the heel easily.

The feud isn't just one movie, it's the trilogy, and Rey beat Kylo in their first two matches. The only way you ever do something like that is when you prop up the face for the next feud that will step things up. That feud is never coming in this trilogy as Snoke is dead.

I think it's mind-boggling how they treated things here. That didn't even happen in ANH, and that was a movie made without knowing if there'd ever be another so there would have been an excuse there. Not even Anakin Skywalker beat Count Dooku in their first confrontation, since while the prequels are bad Lucas at least understood that much.

Last edited:
Han Solo being my favourite characters, I would have done the following differently:

Just as I felt it odd in The Force Awakens that Chewbacca and Leia did not even embraced when meeting again for the first time after Han´s death (the Chewie snub or how is this called?), I felt in The Last Jedi, they could have dedicated more time (for God´s sake, two or three minutes) for the main characters talking about Han´s death.

Really, I mean Han Solo died and they could, for example, not let Luke and Rey talk about him a while sitting around the fire, dwelling on the past etc.? I would have put more focus on the emotions of the main characters talking about someone beloved they lost. Instead, there was a scene of Chewbacca sitting around the fire, roasting one of these furred chickens... As much as I love animals - and I do not eat or roast them - this scene did nothing to me...

Who else feels there was a lack of emotions concerning Han´s death or simply that he is not there anymore (I do not want to talk about Luke now...)?

Get Thanos to snap the fingers and wipe the writer of TLJ out. I finally watched the movie on DVD and I had direct comparison with the IW. Sorry - script was terrible. Some mistakes are drawn in TFA (Mary Sue and perfect BBC English of Rey) but mostly very weak plot concerning Luke and Kylo. I would have been much logical if Luke decided against killing Kylo, leaves the academy for some reason and during his absence Kylo wipes out the academy. This would give a solid explanation why Luke feels lost. He could have prevented the actions of Kylo but for that he would have need to kill him: lose-lose option.

Whole plot with Canto and DJ - out: no need for that. Holdo out - her role to Leia or Ackbar. The whole "tracking lightspeed" scheme - sorry, who let you make parody of BSG? There was not pressure or dread for the situation...

At this point I'd say literally everything. By the time I'm done with it, there wouldn't be a scrap of Rian's vision left in Episode 8.

Ha, love all the wrestling analogies! Personally I'd compare Kylo to the Rock. When the Rock first came out, they shoved him at us so much that people hated him. In the moment he acknowledged the "rocky sucks' and "die rocky die' chants, he became likeable...because it was the truth.
I personally hated Kylo in TFA as this heir apparent to Vader. It was only when Snoke called him out in TLJ with his "You are no Vader. You are just a child in a mask" actually made me enjoy the character and made him more believable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"