• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Things you never see in Films/TV/ Books that happen real life.

Having to wait in an obscenely long line.
Getting shot somewhere other than the shoulder, if your a "good guy".
A routine, mundane, day at work.
No parking spaces.
Competent police.
Getting gas, other than in road trip movies.
Smokers with stained teeth and bad breath.
Not being able to find something on the internet.
Cell phone conversation that gets cut off 5 times due to poor reception.

Or, this conversation...
"Anything to drink, sir?"
"Yeah, I'll have a Coke."
"Is Pepsi OK?"
"That's fine."

^ That could be a great product placement scene. Only if he looks at the camera.

Perfect grammar. People do not speak clearly all the time unless they're on TV. Sometimes people hear different things in the midst of a conversation.

That usually doesn't happen in films unless its necessary for a character.

Some people hate him for it, but that's why I love Jeff Goldblum; he's got a very natural way to saying his lines. Sounds like an actual person talking instead of an actor repeating memorized lines.

No parking spaces.
Competent police.
Smokers with stained teeth and bad breath.
Not being able to find something on the internet.
Cell phone conversation that gets cut off 5 times due to poor reception.
I've seen quite a few of those in movies and tv shows. Either you haven't watched enough of them or I've watched too many of them.

You haven't seen the movie of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There's a scene where they find a long line, Arthur says, "I'll handle this! I'm British!" and then proceeds to just wait in line.

I've seen the leg, the foot, in the chest but somehow surviving anyway...

That's the premise to Office Space.

No parking spaces.

Competent police.
Happens all the time in movies and TV shows about cops

Maximum Overdrive

I've never seen anyone have a mini sick and then have to just gulp it back down.

You haven't seen the movie of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There's a scene where they find a long line, Arthur says, "I'll handle this! I'm British!" and then proceeds to just wait in line.

Maximum Overdrive

Ok, but it still doesn't happen often. Also, all of the examples are plot devices. I think the concept of the thread were things that just don't happen in your average movie.

I go to movies to forget about all those things.

I notice that a lot of these things do happen in movies, but ironically, it happens either more in comedies or it is done for comedic effect. Like they wouldn't show someone pooping or waiting in line unless something funny is supposed to happen. It's very rare that they'd do it in a serious drama, possibly because it would kill tension. And it they ever do, it's usually because the script calls for it, i.e. the mass murderer kills the guy while he's taking a dump and is defenseless.

Perfect grammar. People do not speak clearly all the time unless they're on TV. Sometimes people hear different things in the midst of a conversation.

That usually doesn't happen in films unless its necessary for a character.

Have you ever seen a Stallone flick?

Maximum Overdrive

I was just about to post the same idea - answers.

Also, for a person taking a ****, maybe not four minutes, but in Get Shorty there is a scene.

Most of what we post can be found. Serious.

Somebody should make a movie where all these things happen.

JAK®;20241771 said:
Somebody should make a movie where all these things happen.

It goes against the thread makers question, but in satire the 'Scary/Date/Hero/Disaster movies' do so.

Comics and books tend to be able to take more liberties with dialogue, moreso than movies and television. Written dialogue that is read by it's audience tends to be able to make use of more long-winded monologues and expositionary dialogue, so Batman can wax poetic about justice even while in the midst of a fist fight. In movies you almost have to break the fourth wall to get away with this kind of thing.

A woman shaving her legs in the shower and nicking herself. Never happens.

Women with ugly feet.

a man making a move on a woman and the woman saying 'oh i can't i'm on my period'

Or as we say in my house 'the missus is periodically challenged'

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"