Thinking of getting a PS3.

JP

Smelly
Reaction score
But not sure if I should.

Mostly because I thinking of switching to Blu Ray and figure a PS3 would be a better buy then an actual Blu Ray player. I'm on the fence and really don't want to end up regretting any decisions.

Any advise?

If all you want is a blu-ray player, just get a cheap stand alone player. And unless there's a few games out that you want right now, it's still better to wait until the stuff you want actually comes out, the price might be lower by then.

All of them will play BR movies at the same quality
so

399 40gig - Doesn't play PS2 games, no SACD support, 2 wifi ports instead of 4
499 80gig - Plays PS2 games using partial software emulation, not perfect but regularly updated, comes with Motorstorm
499 60gig Clearance - Plays PS2 games near flawless, hard to find

I'm not really a gamer, but my brother is so I figure he'd put it to good use.

I dont think I've ever seen a 'cheap' stand alone player.

Yeah, well if that's the case you might as well go with the 399, unless your brother has a huge colle4ction of PS2 games he wants to keep playing and is willing to pay you an aditional 100 dollars. The PS3 really is the best bet for a BR player, it is the best DVD upscaler around, and is compatible with all the planned BDA hardware updates, where as a lot of the earlier BR players aren't. With the PS3 you'll never have to worry about that stuff.

Hey, if you can point me in the direction of a cheap stand alone player that may sway me. :o

THe cheapest BR standalone is 399. Same price as the 40 gig PS3. :o

Yeah, well if that's the case you might as well go with the 399, unless your brother has a huge colle4ction of PS2 games he wants to keep playing and is willing to pay you an aditional 100 dollars. The PS3 really is the best bet for a BR player, it is the best DVD upscaler around, and if compatible with all the planned BDA hardware updates, where as a lot of the earlier BR players aren't. With the PS3 you'll never have to worry about that stuff.

And it still plays regular DVDs right? Yeah, thats sounding better and better.

I still don't understand how the dust maginally coated the inside of the wifi ports. It's almost like someone dumped a gbag of dust onto the PS3 from every possible angle. :o

oh yeah I forgot about them dropping the price to 350.

And it still plays regular DVDs right? Yeah, thats sounding better and better.

Yeah yeah, plus it has a great upscaler so all your old DVDs won't look terrible. So it's basically

Even with the 349 dollar stand alone I'd still go with the PS3, simply because it's entirely compatible with all the future planned updates (and it has an ethernet port for easy firmware updates which will come directly from Sony with their PS3 firmware updates).

PS3's are built in Indonesian sweat shops by slave children.

Honestly,i've thought about getting a PS3 too.The only reason why i have not gotten one already,is the fact there are basically no good games for it.

Naughty Dog, bleh. Infamous = First good PS3 game, besides that Ninja Gaiden port I guess.

If all you want is a blu-ray player, just get a cheap stand alone player. And unless there's a few games out that you want right now, it's still better to wait until the stuff you want actually comes out, the price might be lower by then.
The PS3 is about the cheapest BR out there and it plays games. Its the best deal available. Not to mention that its also regarded as one of the best BR players if not the best.

But not sure if I should.

Mostly because I thinking of switching to Blu Ray and figure a PS3 would be a better buy then an actual Blu Ray player. I'm on the fence and really don't want to end up regretting any decisions.

Any advise?

Honestly, JP, if you are just into movies and want a good price to get High Def I would honestly suggest you get HD DVD. For the price to get into High Def via HD DVD, you will save a great deal of money, get some free movies and have a player that is fully functional. Also, you will get the same excellent picture and audio quality that Blu-ray can deliver, they are both equal in this regard.

Now, if you honestly want to stick with Blu-ray I would strongly suggest you do not buy a stand alone unit! You will be overpaying for a player that is double what an HD DVD player costs and does not even have all the features (profile mess). So therefore, if you go Blu-ray, stick with the PS3. The value of the system will be more level than current stand alone units and you will have the ability to play games if you so decide. Not only that, but the PS3 is the best and fastest BR player on the market and will always get upgrades through firmware more frequently than any stand alone player.

Well, hope you make the decision that is beneficial to you and that you are happy with your purchase. :)

It's more of a "The movies I want are only available on blu ray" sorta thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"