Thinking of getting a PS3.

It's more of a "The movies I want are only available on blu ray" sorta thing.

Ah, well, then if that is the case stick with the PS3, you won't regret it. It will trump all of the overpriced stand alone units and you won't have to worry about the profile mess as the PS3 should be upgraded within the next few months or so.

The whole format thing is just ****ing customers up the ass.
This goes for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray.
I'm happy with DVD, I'll just get an upscaling player and won't let the companies and their petty marketing techniques get me. And I'll have the movies that I want to see.

블라스;13335281 said:
The whole format thing is just ****ing customers up the ass.
This goes for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray.
I'm happy with DVD, I'll just get an upscaling player and won't let the companies and their petty marketing techniques get me. And I'll have the movies that I want to see.

I agree with you, but if you want an upscaling player, it kind of makes sense to buy into HD DVD. It is the best upscaling player I've used and you also get the added benefit of getting some movies in High Def as well. You pay a little extra but the free movies in box and through mail make up for it.

Blassypoo, you should pick up the 360 HD player when you eventually ( Im guessing 5 years from now) get your new 360 :(

I agree with you, but if you want an upscaling player, it kind of makes sense to buy into HD DVD. It is the best upscaling player I've used and you also get the added benefit of getting some movies in High Def as well. You pay a little extra but the free movies in box and through mail make up for it.

Well, upscaling dvd players are cheap, I guess.
I actually want a multiregion player so I can play R2 discs as well, so I have to look for one of those that upscale the discs as well :huh:

But nah, no HD-DVD or Blu-ray for me. Those goddamned companies will not tell me which movies I can get.

All the sites doing tech comparisons say that the PS3 has the best scaler on the market and you can get 15 free movies when you get a PS3.

All the sites doing tech comparisons say that the PS3 has the best scaler on the market and you can get 15 free movies when you get a PS3.

The 15 free movie deal is over, it was only for one day.

And, I have a PS3 and the HD-A2 and the HD-A2 is by far the better at upscaling DVD's, if you look around you'll find information also stating the Toshiba units as excellent upscaling DVD players.

The PS3 is not bad at upscaling, but it is not at the level of the A2. And the only thing that will trump that is an upscaler with the Reon processor.

PS3 also helps cure diseases, so everyone in America should buy one and help the cause :up:

PS3 also helps cure diseases, so everyone in America should buy one and help the cause :up:

So that's what folding is, but you'd have to keep your PS3 on for that, which is not always possible.

So that's what folding is, but you'd have to keep your PS3 on for that, which is not always possible.

I know, I was just being a little sarcastic. You can fold@home with a PC as well though I guess it's not as effective

I think it first causes the diseases, and then somehow "cures" them, but it's most likely a scam.

folding doesnt cure diseases, it gives the the researchers the computing power necessary to perform experiments to study diseases and allows them to be able to design treatments. i dont really know how that's working out though and whether or not many ps3 owners even know or bother to utilize the function on their ps3s

folding doesnt cure diseases, it gives the the researchers the computing power necessary to perform experiments to study diseases and allows them to be able to design treatments. i dont really know how that's working out though and whether or not many ps3 owners even know or bother to utilize the function on their ps3s

everything I've read points to folding@home on the PS3 as being a big sucess

Folding at home is huge.

PS3’s give protein project world record
November 2, 2007
By The Daily News Staff
Stanford has set a new world record for video game console use — but not in the way you’d expect.

Thanks to Sony’s Playstation 3 (PS3), the University’s Folding@

Home project has officially garnered the world’s most powerful distributed computing system, according to Guinness.

Folding@Home works to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of protein folding using the rapid processing power of the PS3, along with personal computers. According to the project’s head, Structural Biology and Chemistry Prof. Vijay Pande, the PS3 in particular has made calculations 20 times faster than previous methods.

With registration open since 2006, more than 600,000 PS3’s worldwide have joined in the pursuit of science, amassing more than a petraflop — over 1,000 trillion floating point operations per second — just last month.

The previous computing champion, Berkeley’s SETI@Home project (Searching for Extraterrestrial Intelligence), topped out at 265 teraflops — or 265 trillion floating point operations per second.

Leave it to Stanford-affiliated gamers to beat Cal and produce valuable research at the same time.

http://daily.stanford.edu/article/2007/11/2/ps3sGiveProteinProjectWorldRecord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"