This is the worst console gen of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, but thats how it was seen. Freeman's comments as well. We've let you guys regulate yourselves...however apparently hoisting problem users like Freeman onto your shoulders is higher up on your self regulation agenda than maintaining order...and that is why we have been forced to this solution.
Freeman isn't a problem user. He, like anyone else, just comes here to have a casual conversation about games. And as far as the nature of discussion goes (topics are fluid and change) there has been order.

As for what you saw as a threat... we all know this board has a bad reputation. It's been put on us unfairly, because in my opinion, this is the best forum on this site. Nevertheless, mods have had a problem with this section for a while. I'll admit that back in 2002 this board might as well have been called "Flame Wars" but we've come a long way in the past six years. Mods never let that image leave them, and still just see this place as a cancer to the forum (even though we never leave the Games Forum to "spam" Community for instance) despite the fact that we all get along.

The game forum has a bad reputation? I thought that was the Spider-Man forums.

Freeman isn't a problem user. He, like anyone else, just comes here to have a casual conversation about games. And as far as the nature of discussion goes (topics are fluid and change) there has been order.

As for what you saw as a threat... we all know this board has a bad reputation. It's been put on us unfairly, because in my opinion, this is the best forum on this site. Nevertheless, mods have had a problem with this section for a while. I'll admit that back in 2002 this board might as well have been called "Flame Wars" but we've come a long way in the past six years. Mods never let that image leave them, and still just see this place as a cancer to the forum (even though we never leave the Games Forum to "spam" Community for instance) despite the fact that we all get along.

Its not up for debate anymore. We have been very leinent. It didn't work. The clique, above the rules, mentality on the game forums ends or the game forum ends all together. Plain and simple. We're not going to have posters talk about anyone's distaste for vagina (moderator or otherwise). We are not going to have posters make threats like "I'll be back in 15 minutes if you ban me" when starting threads whose only purpose is to invoke a flame war. And don't give me that "You just don't get it" B.S. as it doesn't matter anymore. Debate time is over. One step out of line and you guys lose your forum.

Freeman has been banned under other user names on several occassions for trolling and attempts to invoke flame wars. He recently did. When threatened with discipline he comments about how he would be gone for "15 seconds." That is what led to this "Nuclear option" being developed.

That "Flame War" thread was nothing more than a parody of recent www.n4g.com articles and every post in that thread was made very sarcastically.

Its not up for debate anymore. We have been very leinent. It didn't work. The clique, above the rules, mentality on the game forums ends or the game forum ends all together. Plain and simple. We're not going to have posters talk about anyone's distaste for vagina (moderator or otherwise). We are not going to have posters make threats like "I'll be back in 15 minutes if you ban me" when starting threads whose only purpose is to invoke a flame war. And don't give me that "You just don't get it" B.S. as it doesn't matter anymore. Debate time is over. One step out of line and you guys lose your forum.
In an extreme, but possible scenario, what if someone who hated the games forums would troll around the forums, baiting people with anti-Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/whatever talk. Would the games section be shut down then?

That "Flame War" thread was nothing more than a parody of recent www.n4g.com articles and every post in that thread was made very sarcastically.

Context is everything. People took it seriously. There was no attempt to show that it was a joke and if Freeman simply explained that instead of threatening how he is ban proof, we wouldn't be in that situation. BUt again, it doesn't matter. One more calling of a name, one more slight against another poster, one more hostile thread and this forum is gone. Don't care about context. Don't care if we "Don't get gaming culture." Go back to Gamers Reject and make your own rules. If you want to remain on the Hype and have a game forum, you will follow ours.

In an extreme, but possible scenario, what if someone who hated the games forums would troll around the forums, baiting people with anti-Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/whatever talk. Would the games section be shut down then?

Of course not. The problem users who are putting the Games Forum at risk know who they are. If they change their behavior, there will be absolutely no problem.

You've been very strict too. Do you remember that working?

A simple, and stupidly silly post made by GFreeman to Morg, which no one but you and Morg took seriously, is enough to "nuke" an entire forum? Why don't you just say something funny/stupid back to Freeman and forget about it?

This "Clique mentality" you keep pegging on us has got to stop. No one here is in a "clique" and we're very friendly to members, especially those who are friendly to us. None of us even talked to Cookiva before the death of Heath Ledger, but we had him talking with us like we were old pals within no time at all. That's not a clique.

I'm going to put myself into the mindset you've expressed with your words here: On the supposition that we're all bad people, that we come back after being banned within 15 minutes and we just love to harass people... let's think one step ahead: say you nuke the Game Forum. Now you've got a bunch of bad, new users going where? Community. General Movies. Anywhere. Is that a solution to you? You may think we're all bad, but at least we're all contained in one spot.

Now in reality, if you nuked the forum, we'd all probably just leave. I would. But that would be fine proof that we weren't actually so bad, no more than your average Community poster. So you effectively terminate a very active forum with some very large contributors for no reason other than mere suspicion of a clique mentality?

It is what it is, we're not going to debate this. The nuclear option is the solution for the next step out of line.

How about simply conforming to the rules you agreed to upon registration and seeing to it that this never happens?

As a relatively recent addition to the gaming forum, I can vouch for WHF's comment about friendliness. I started posting and no one hassled me for not being in a clique or anything like that.

They should make a movie about the hype. We'd probably be portrayed as placing genocide on the place of something.

As a relatively recent addition to the gaming forum, I can vouch for WHF's comment about friendliness. I started posting and no one hassled me for not being in a clique or anything like that.

Exunctly. Look at Spider-Bale, he came in here shoutng "Yo yo! The Xbox is crap ma holy fo!" and he hasn't killed or anything. :confused:

They should make a movie about the hype. We'd probably be portrayed as placing genocide on the place of something.

I think I'm a pretty nice guy, and I've been respectful to the mods when voicing my opinions with them. Hopefully I'd merely be portrayed as a maniac. :(

Of course not. The problem users who are putting the Games Forum at risk know who they are. If they change their behavior, there will be absolutely no problem.

I assume by "problem users" you mean GFreeman. The only complaint I've seen about him so far (since his current username) has been this isolated silly-Morg-joke "incident". It's not a behavioral thing really, it was just one simple joke and it's over.

Well, given that he warned you just now, I think you're also meant to be a "problem user." I vote for Matt to ban you on principle. :up:

Well, given that he warned you just now, I think you're also meant to be a "problem user." I vote for Matt to ban you on principle. :up:
Clarifying a situation isn't grounds for a ban.

But I take back what I said about you being a good artist. Out of principle. :cmad:

Corpulent, were you mainly in the comics forums before coming here?

I'm still mainly in the comics forums. I only post in a few threads on whatever interests me here. I post in practically every thread in the comics forums.

Yeah, I was there for a while too. Then I got a job and stopped drawing as much, so I haven't been on there much lately.

I assume by "problem users" you mean GFreeman. The only complaint I've seen about him so far (since his current username) has been this isolated silly-Morg-joke "incident". It's not a behavioral thing really, it was just one simple joke and it's over.

Like I said, this is not up for debate. We've gone over this in the washroom. This is our conclussion. We are not going to have our forum held hostage by ban proof users who taunt us when disciplined. It is, what it is. Now get back on topic or this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"