The Dark Knight This movie made you wish Batman killed!

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
This movie had a whole theme about killing. Is it sad that I wanted Batman to kill The Joker and get it over with. OR...did Nolan want you to question you whole opinion on the killing thing?

Debate.

This movie had a whole theme about killing. Is it sad that I wanted Batman to kill The Joker and get it over with. OR...did Nolan want you to question you whole opinion on the killing thing?

Debate.
absolutely he wanted you to think about the moral questions the film posits.

you see if Batman breaks his rule. If he lets Harvey's demise be known. Then the Joker wins. Much like the dilemma the US faces with terrorism. When you give up your liberties(warrantless wiretapping ,Patriot act) and you lower your morals (torture,lying about wmds to sell war for oil to the people)then the terrorists win. You make them prophets when you do exactly what they said you'd do and the people will follow them.

you see if Batman breaks his rule. If he lets Harvey's demise be known. Then the Joker wins. Much like the dilemma the US faces with terrorism. When you give up your liberties(warrantless wiretapping ,Patriot act) and you lower your morals (torture,lying about wmds to sell war for oil to the people)then the terrorists win. You make them prophets when you do exactly what they said you'd do and the people will follow them.

:whatever:

Strange, I thought we were talking about Batman here. Silly me, I too get comic book characters confused with our nation's president.

Listen, I don't care about your current feelings about Bush and his administration, but let's not turn TDK into a movie questioning the position of modern-day US. There's a politics forum, I suggest you go there to vent.

And to answer the question of the thread, I don't think there was one time where I wanted Batman to actually kill him because I knew that would satisfy Joker too much.

The best thing for men like the Joker is to let him rot in a padded room for the rest of his life (which I'm presuming happened to him).

Strange, I thought we were talking about Batman here. Silly me, I too get comic book characters confused with our nation's president.

Listen, I don't care about your current feelings about Bush and his administration, but let's not turn TDK into a movie questioning the position of modern-day US. There's a politics forum, I suggest you go there to vent.

That wasn't a vent. The thread poster asked if we thought if Nolan was trying to make us think about the morality dilemmas in the film and I said yes and drew what I think are obvious parallels. :)

believe me my vents are much more than that.

Killing hte joker would have proven that he was right, which he wasn't. He underestimated Batman and vice versa. By allowing him to live Batman esentially won. That's exactly why he took the responsability of Dent's actions in the end, in order to prove to the Joker that he didn't fully corrupt and destroy all he had set out to.

that would satisfy Joker too much.

But...do the satisfaction of one man count more than the results of his actions? Had Batman killed Joker during that Bat-Pod scene [BLACKOUT]Rachel[/BLACKOUT] wouldn't have died and [BLACKOUT]Harvey Dent wouldn't have become Two-Face[/BLACKOUT].

That's the dilemma, innit? But, the whole film is like an ideological debate. Batman abandoning the rules he lives by "when the chips are down" would be the real defeat. The Joker's plan is to expose how flimsy society's rules really are, and how easily they can be abandoned when things don't go according to "the plan". [BLACKOUT]The citizens of Gotham, and Batman, prove him wrong. He does, however, gain a victory with Harvey Two-Face, proving that "all it needs is a little push". But, he ultimately doesn't win, because the White Knight symbol is preserved by the actions of Batman and Gordon.[/BLACKOUT]

At the end of the day Joker did kinda win. He proved his point and Batman hid it from the public. Rightfully so.

That's the dilemma, innit? But, the whole film is like an ideological debate. Batman abandoning the rules he lives by "when the chips are down" would be the real defeat. The Joker's plan is to expose how flimsy society's rules really are, and how easily they can be abandoned when things don't go according to "the plan". [BLACKOUT]The citizens of Gotham, and Batman, prove him wrong. He does, however, gain a victory with Harvey Two-Face, proving that "all it needs is a little push". But, he ultimately doesn't win, because the White Knight symbol is preserved by the actions of Batman and Gordon.[/BLACKOUT]

Exactly. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"