this show is a ripoff :/

Originally posted by Matt
while such a thing may be true, when they start taking individual plot points from one show it is ripping off.

Name me the plot of any episode of any show from the past 20 years and I can find you atleast a half dozen other shows that came on before it that are pretty muhc the same thing.

Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are fairly original. Hulk, I expected better from you. Someone else doing it isn't an arguement. It's very amaturish.

I guess specifically it is more like Roswell episodes but I'm sure it "lifted" elements from other shows as well :o

Originally posted by Matt
Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are fairly original. Hulk, I expected better from you. Someone else doing it isn't an arguement. It's very amaturish.

It's low of me to say there's very little originality in TV nowadays? My point was if you look hard enough, and lord knows YOU do when it comes to Smallville, you can find a number of similarities with anything. Hell there's a TV show on VH1 now about how formulaic shows have become nowadays. But you're probably right though, maybe I'm just not as smart as you Matt, or maybe it's because I never watched the cheesefests known as Buffy/Angel, or maybe I'm just happy to see Superman in something that's current, who knows. If you choose to nitpick it, thats fine it's your perogative, I'd rather sit back and take it for what it is, and enjoy it, K

Originally posted by The Incredible Hulk
It's low of me to say there's very little originality in TV nowadays? My point was if you look hard enough, and lord knows YOU do when it comes to Smallville, you can find a number of similarities with anything. Hell there's a TV show on VH1 now about how formulaic shows have become nowadays. But you're probably right though, maybe I'm just not as smart as you Matt, or maybe it's because I never watched the cheesefests known as Buffy/Angel, or maybe I'm just happy to see Superman in something that's current, who knows. If you choose to nitpick it, thats fine it's your perogative, I'd rather sit back and take it for what it is, and enjoy it, K

cheesefest? Try watching one epiosde of Buffy...infact, watch one of its worst episodes, it's better tha the formulatic ^_^^_^^_^^_^ that is Smallville...Smallville is exemplatory of everything that is wrong with TV.

heh so that's your angle huh? You're one of those "Buffy-verse" fans who's all pissed off because their shows are no longer on so they go and talk down the new top dog on the network on MB's? Now THAT is truely sad. I've seen eps of Buffy and Angel, and it's no where near as great as it's made out to be. The special effects and makeup were so utterly ridiculous it was hard not to laugh while watching it and each episode seemd to follow the same pattern of events. Look I'm not looking to get into yet another Angel vs Smallville debate with you people, but it is now obvious where your bias comes from. Smallville is no where near perfect but it sure as hell isnt an example of what's wrong with TV today, in fact it's one of the few shows that doesnt feel contrived and doesnt appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's actually a breath of fresh air in today's world of so called "Reality" television and god awful sitcoms..... If you want to see the depths TV has sunk too, turn on FOX almost any night of the week

I also never got into Buffy or Angel :o Smallville can't be that bad in comparison :confused:

heh so that's your angle huh? You're one of those "Buffy-verse" fans who's all pissed off because their shows are no longer on so they go and talk down the new top dog on the network on MB's? Now THAT is truely sad. I've seen eps of Buffy and Angel, and it's no where near as great as it's made out to be. The special effects and makeup were so utterly ridiculous it was hard not to laugh while watching it and each episode seemd to follow the same pattern of events. Look I'm not looking to get into yet another Angel vs Smallville debate with you people, but it is now obvious where your bias comes from. Smallville is no where near perfect but it sure as hell isnt an example of what's wrong with TV today, in fact it's one of the few shows that doesnt feel contrived and doesnt appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's actually a breath of fresh air in today's world of so called "Reality" television and god awful sitcoms..... If you want to see the depths TV has sunk too, turn on FOX almost any night of the week

first of all,I'm no Buffy fan...I am simply giving Buffy credit for being original.

your entire defense of smallville is that "Nothing is original these days so why should it be?" when in reality that shows what talentless hacks millar and gough are.

No that wasnt my entire defense of Smallville, in fact I didnt even bring it up in regards to Smallville, I was just making a general social commentary on the current state of television and entertainment in general. I dont have to defend Smallville, I let it speak for itself that it's the highest rated show on it's network, and it's going into it's 4th season, and there are rumors about it becoming the setup for the future Superman films. You obviously have issues with it, that you feel the need to come to this board and inform us all how bad you think it is. Obviously your in the minority on that one, but whatever.

No that wasnt my entire defense of Smallville, in fact I didnt even bring it up in regards to Smallville, I was just making a general social commentary on the current state of television and entertainment in general. I dont have to defend Smallville, I let it speak for itself that it's the highest rated show on it's network, and it's going into it's 4th season, and there are rumors about it becoming the setup for the future Superman films. You obviously have issues with it, that you feel the need to come to this board and inform us all how bad you think it is. Obviously your in the minority on that one, but whatever.

Well, lets see...the Jim Bellucci show is high rated. Yes, Dear is high rated. The Swan is high rated. One Tree Hill is high rated...

Wow, those are some winners.

Family Guy had bad ratings. Arrested Development has bad ratings. 24 only pulls in mediocre rating.

See a trend? Ratings don't testify to the quality of a show, so don't use it kiddo. And it being a setup for superman is just what you called it...Rumors.

OK Matt, then what in your opinion quantifies the quality of a show, if I cant use ratings and longevity? Does it have to be cancelled like FG and AR and have people complain it was misunderstood to be so in your mind?

Well then I guess using your analysis, the same could be said for a movie like "Spider-man" which broke box office records, but was truely a good 1/3 of a movie with poorly written dialogue? Now I see what you mean

OK Matt, then what in your opinion quantifies the quality of a show, if I cant use ratings and longevity? Does it have to be cancelled like FG and AR and have people complain it was misunderstood to be so in your mind?

Well then I guess using your analysis, the same could be said for a movie like "Spider-man" which broke box office records, but was truely a good 1/3 of a movie with poorly written dialogue? Now I see what you mean

no, I judge a show by it's willingness to take risks...(something Smallville has not done...any plot twist is resolved within 2 episodes).

I judge a show by it's originality, which you say it doesn't need because everyone copies. The fact that some shows don't need to copy makes them great.

I judge a show by it's quality...something Clark's Creek lacks.

I went through some old vhs tapes I had and saw some Roswell eps that *gasp* really do seem a lot like SV. Was gonna make a topic about it but figured one existed.

I have an episode where Max goes to the city and is a uhhh "bad boy" *shudders at term*

Just like Clark when he has the red kryptonite.

Also the episode that has Nacedo (sp?) go back in 1947 flashback played by the same guy who plays Max (Jason Behr) saving someone before leaving.

Seemed very similar to the episode of SV where Jor-el is played by the same guy who plays Clark Kent (Tom Welling)... INTERESTING to say the least.

The concept of the caves having to do with the main character's past was even done on Roswell first. Max finds these caves with inscriptitons on them just like Clark finds :o WOW, so much was taken from that show :eek:

WOW, so much was taken from S:TM, a total ripoff :eek:

Super_Ludacris said:
Yo why we gotta bring up old ****?

Cause his movie failed :( lol.

Well its true. And Ive been arguing for years that reality tv rips off real life.

Just about everything these days is a rip off. Since Smallville has Comics to fall back on while I would not say Smallvile is a rip off but it is obviously not original

No ideas orginal. TV series and movies follow things from similar movies and series. It's called genre conventions kids, learn it well

KalKai said:
WOW, so much was taken from S:TM, a total ripoff :eek:

Cause his movie failed :( lol.
It did not fail it did what it was suppose to do and that was to get Superman back on the big screen and make money which it did. It did less then what they expect but it didn't fail, by no means. It just went up against a bigger cash cow by the name of Depp.

TrailerCues said:
Just about everything these days is a rip off. Since Smallville has Comics to fall back on while I would not say Smallvile is a rip off but it is obviously not original
It would help if Smallville did use the comics though but hey what can you do???

i love lamp.

oh man did i just rip off anchorman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"