Thomas Jane

ChrisBaleBatman

Legendary Hero
Reaction score
I'm a Bat-fan.........and I'm kinda starting to get into The Punisher a little bit.

I was wondering about how the Punisher fans feel about Thomas Jane, I mean is he as beloved by the Punisher fans as Christian Bale is by the Bat-fans?

Btw, I just bought "The Punisher" video game.......and so far, I think Thomas Jane is just incredible doing the voice over for the game.

Without speaking for everybody - and with no knowledge of what "[as beloved] as Christian Bale is by the Bat-fans" means - Tom Jane was probably no fan's first choice to play Frank Castle but he totally made the role his own.

Sure, there will be those who say he's meant to be a 6'5" Italian looking hulk muscled maniac, but with the movie timing being coincidental with the 37 issue Marvel Knights series, the movie portrayal was totally in keeping with the comic book vision of the character.

If you read the issue of Welcome Back Frank that includes the Russian fight, then watch the movie sequence, you will see how completely Tom Jane makes the paper to movie transformation believable.

Looking at Thomas Jane pre-Punisher i would say no but he totally owned the role and hit the right notes, with me anyways. I can't wait to see him in The Punisher 2.

Jane's arrival in the role wasn't hailed as perfect casting initially. But he busted ass for that performance and completely commited himself to the role. I'd say he earned the respect and admiration of many of the naysayers and turned a number of opinions around 180. Jane is a comic fan himself. He is collaborating with creator Steve Niles on upcoming comic projects. I personally saw him at the Dallas Comic-con searching through showroom boxes just like the rest of the crowd. He tends to like the classic EC horror comics more than superhero stuff, but he collects them non-the-less. My point is, and I don't think I'm alone, that the Punisher was put in what were probably the most respectfull and commited of hands when he was cast. I can't imagine anyone else honestly.

Yeah I liked him. Fit the role well. :unishr:

I was not feeling the love for Tom Jane when he was first announced, but now I am gladly eating those words. He is a great choice for Frank Castle/The Punisher and I am so thrilled he embraced the character the way he has. I hope to meet him sometime at a convention and get pics and autographs and thank him for bringing my favorite comic book character to life.

I also though what in gods name was going on when they cast him, but after a while I accepted it. Now, I'm a fan.

^^^ All of those are exactly my views, it's great to see him devote to his role and do so well.

co2 said:
Jane's arrival in the role wasn't hailed as perfect casting initially. But he busted ass for that performance and completely commited himself to the role. I'd say he earned the respect and admiration of many of the naysayers and turned a number of opinions around 180. Jane is a comic fan himself. He is collaborating with creator Steve Niles on upcoming comic projects. I personally saw him at the Dallas Comic-con searching through showroom boxes just like the rest of the crowd. He tends to like the classic EC horror comics more than superhero stuff, but he collects them non-the-less. My point is, and I don't think I'm alone, that the Punisher was put in what were probably the most respectfull and commited of hands when he was cast. I can't imagine anyone else honestly.

EXACTLY my feelings.

Kable24 said:
I was not feeling the love for Tom Jane when he was first announced, but now I am gladly eating those words. He is a great choice for Frank Castle/The Punisher and I am so thrilled he embraced the character the way he has. I hope to meet him sometime at a convention and get pics and autographs and thank him for bringing my favorite comic book character to life.

Same here. :unishr:
punisher9.jpg

aye - when i found out Tomas Jane had got the part i was ambivelent to the casting but it was pointed out he was the star of 'thursday' which i then rewatched . he's very good in it but after dolph lumpkin i was not expecting much but Jane's performance is excellent. He totally embodies the role - i cant think of anyone i would rather have. I recently seen stander and thought his performance was very different from the punisher. Tom Jane is an actor rather than a film star...

My thoughts reflect most of the others...

I will add...that I cant and dont want anyone else in the role...and that my man love for TJ runs deap...

I dont think any other actor respects his character like TJ respects Frank...watch the DVD and you will see what I mean...there is a great quote in it

owenstar said:
I dont think any other actor respects his character like TJ respects Frank...watch the DVD and you will see what I mean...there is a great quote in it

"You just wanna get it right. You've got this great character, so why f### with it?"

Tom Jane IS the Punisher. He absolutely nailed the part. I was totally blown away by how dedicated he was, and still is, to this part.

Sgt.FrankCastle said:
"You just wanna get it right. You've got this great character, so why f### with it?"

Tom Jane IS the Punisher. He absolutely nailed the part. I was totally blown away by how dedicated he was, and still is, to this part.

thats the one bro, thanks

Yeah, I thought he was favorite. I mean, the guy just seems to embody the character so well.

I had no idea he had to prove a lot of people wrong though......but that does happen most of the time with comic book film castings. Good to see he dedicated himself and his hard work proved him worthy.

When I first heard that he was playing Castle, my first thought was "WTF, the blonde guy from Dreamcatcher and Deep Blue Sea, hell that is as bad as affleck as DD", but when I saw the movie, I thought that they really could not have anyone else play Castle and makes it believable.

He's definitely the man for the role. I didn't think so at first, but now I can't be swayed.

Jane grew on me. I only remembered him from Boogie nights and then when I heard he was casr I was like wtf??!!! I originally wanted to see Chuck Zito play Frank. He's built the same and at the same age, and that would mean a Vietnam angle. Theres still hope for the tv series.

Anyway Jane reminds me of Jim Lee's Punisher from his og War Journal days.

Thomas Jane kicks ass. Being Frank Castle alone makes him one of my favourite actors.

I'm also glad that he has really been pushing for the Punisher sequel to get made. A lot of actors who star in a movie that doesn't do so good in theaters just move on, but he's dedicated to the role.

I was an early adopter of Jane being right for the role. And I'm happy I was, he kicked ass.

yeah, tom jane is awesome. i'm glad he put forth his best effort and i don't think anybody was expecting that great a performance from him. the guy seems to be a naturally good actor... and he's got some other projects lined up that i'm pretty excited about. especially since he's all into comics books since the punisher. i mean, he might have always liked 'em but i think our reaction to his punisher motivated him to pursue his own and other similar ideas. awesome.

Ive read Punisher since 1988 and when reading Jane emulated the voice I imagined Punisher to have all along. Jane really blew me away (no :unishr: intended.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"