Sequels Thor 5 - News

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score
A new and separate thread away from any of the previous films to discuss news, articles, interviews, hints at a potential T5…

Last edited:
Chris Hemsworth doesn't want to play Thor so long that people 'roll their eyes'

…we asked whether he has any plans to pick up Thor's hammer once more.

His answer? Maybe!

"I've got to be careful how I word that because I have no idea what's happening in the next phase,"
Hemsworth tells EW. "There's always conversations, like with Extraction. Before anything is official, people are throwing around ideas. But officially, I don't know."
"I don't want to continue to do it until people are so exhausted that they roll their eyes when they see me come on the screen as that character," he adds. "If an audience wants to see it, and if there's something that we believe is exciting and fun, then great. I've loved being able to reinvent that character a few times. I don't have the answer yet, but I would love to try and [figure out] how we can do that again and keep it a little unpredictable."

https://screenrant.com/secret-invasion-thor-siege-storyline/

Haven’t followed Secret Invasion but that premise does seem interesting:
  • Secret Invasion's finale sets up potential future storylines for the MCU, including a possible conflict between Thor's Asgardians and the United States government labeling all aliens as enemies.

• The aftermath of the Skrull invasion leads to a feeling of paranoia and fear surrounding aliens, potentially reverting the MCU's status quo back to Phase 1.

• The concept of Marvel's Siege storyline would be perfect for Thor 5's story, bringing Thor's attention back to Earth and potentially reuniting him with the Avengers. This story could also be covered in Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.
Pitting Thor against Earth rulers/laws and its current mightiest heroes could be very fun to watch as we’ve seen previously in the comics. Maybe it can be a step into course correcting Thor’s journey in the MCU.

Honestly with so many ips getting their own films and that certain ips will have to wait at least 4 years for a sequel (which is crazy) makes a Thor 5 redundant in my mind.

Thor had 4 chances of getting his own movies and he would still probably appear in Avengers.

If this was just Paramount I guess they could make so many Thor movies, likes Thor Dark World Reckoning Part Two but its not.

https://screenrant.com/beta-ray-bill-perfect-thor-5-hero-set-up/

BRB! Yes Please!
And Skuttlebutt of course.

T5 definitely needs a change of pace and BRB would be a great addition and one that would surely bring a lot of fans on board. Give Stormbreaker to its rightful owner BRB and let Thor keep Mjolnir, imagine the 2 going at it with their respective weapons and eventually becoming absolute best bros. I would love that.

I’ve been saying for years that BRB should be a very serious and honorable character, he’s a freaking cyborg horse, imo he should be a big/massive imposing figure without an ounce of humor so that he could play beautifully off of this more and funny/lighthearted Thor. BRB would be a perfect foil for Thor. In a way BRB would be the Thor some people have always desire Thor to be.

Get on with it Marvel, crack a worthwhile story because Thor’s mythology is chock-full with great characters, storylines, visuals… yet to be explored.

I would love a T5, many would I think but whether Taika is the one to do it is another matter. At this point and while I loved Ragnarok I’m more inclined in a fresh new take on the character/story.

I liked both of his movies, but I recognize the backlash to Love and Thunder was significant (it also was admittedly a tonally inconsistent movie no matter what). One problem I have is I'm not sure Taika Watiti is suited for powerful villains. People were very disappointed with Gorr. If you were expecting a character as intimidating as the one from the comics, you didn't get that. I still think someone like the Minotaur and Roxxon would have been better for both Taika and Christian Bale.

Regardless, I think the movie will course correct. Chris Helmsworth himself has said he wants a more serious Thor last movie. And, since I think he wanted to play his comedy skills up, the movie was partly written in that direction for him so it's good to hear he wants to play Thor more seriously.

I'm trying to think who a serious threat would be with what we have left. Mangog is the only one that comes to mind for me. Maybe we can finally get Amora the Enchantress as well. Honestly, I think Taika would do really well with a fun fantasy world story with elves and trolls. I'm surprised we've never gone in that direction. Of course, with the addition of Hercules, maybe they want to do something more with other pantheons.

I would love to see The Midgard Serpent.

Now when Taika mentions a villain more powerful than Hela then we’re probably looking at Mangog, Celestials sort of works with what was established in Eternals… Galactus will probably be saved for a Fantastic 4/Avengers film.

Sprinkle in BRB as an antagonistic force turning into Thor bff. So much to choose from.

Last edited:
By more powerful, another name I would toss out as a possibility is Cul Borson. Unless they wanna do what the comics did, and merge Eternals 2 into Thor 5 and have a Thor and the Eternals Celestial Saga type story. But if I were a betting man, I think Cul Borson and some type of Fear Itself adaptation would be in the cards for a 5th Thor under Taika

By more powerful, another name I would toss out as a possibility is Cul Borson. Unless they wanna do what the comics did, and merge Eternals 2 into Thor 5 and have a Thor and the Eternals Celestial Saga type story. But if I were a betting man, I think Cul Borson and some type of Fear Itself adaptation would be in the cards for a 5th Thor under Taika
200w.gif

latest

thor387.jpg

cover-388.jpg

Probably the character’s swan song. I hope they do it right for his farewell. Loki needs to be in it for a reunion, so they can sell tickets like hot cakes. Maybe a swan song for both characters, closing like a full circle.

I just hope they do a great film. Such a beloved character needs more great films under his belt specially if this is indeed his “swan song” which I’m not totally convinced it is either.

Anyway if they are indeed developing the film then it should be coming relatively soon. Maybe it slots right after Secret Wars/2027. Now on to developing a great story with strong writers and a good director. Should be really interesting to see which crew they bring on board for this one.

In terms of characters there’s a few that i would love to see in this film.

- Beta Ray Bill / Skuttlebutt
- The Midgard Serpent

Sigh, with these films rumored to be in trouble or likely won't happen

Eternals 2
Thunderbolts
Blade
Armor Wars
Captain Marvel 3

Why are they still making a Thor 5? The last one wasn't bad enough for them, that they are going beyond a 4quel and now a 5th solo film for a character thats been around since 2011? What about Shang-Chi 2, Dr. Strange 3 and Black Panther 3 instead?

Sigh, with these films rumored to be in trouble or likely won't happen

Eternals 2
Thunderbolts
Blade
Armor Wars
Captain Marvel 3

Why are they still making a Thor 5? The last one wasn't bad enough for them, that they are going beyond a 4quel and now a 5th solo film for a character thats been around since 2011? What about Shang-Chi 2, Dr. Strange 3 and Black Panther 3 instead?
Because Thor is arguably their most popular character and a bankable one at that.

Despite T4 having a below average critical reception for the MCU it still managed to be profitable. Being an OG carries important weight. Also Thor’s comic book mythology is very rich and can be easily mined for more stories.

From what I’ve heard all those projects you mentioned are also being developed.

Because Thor is arguably their most popular character and a bankable one at that.

Despite T4 having a below average critical reception for the MCU it still managed to be profitable. Being an OG carries important weight. Also Thor’s comic book mythology is very rich and can be easily mined for more stories.

From what I’ve heard all those projects you mentioned are also being developed.
Not true. Spider-Man is probably the most popular.

Worldwide boX office, Dr. Strange 2 and Black Panther 2 earned more.

Not true. Spider-Man is probably the most popular.

Worldwide boX office, Dr. Strange 2 and Black Panther 2 earned more.
Spider-Man film rights are owned by Sony. So there’s that to take into account.

True. But is Doctor Strange a more popular character than Thor? No. DS2 made as much as it did because they had X-Men, Fantastic 4, Inhumans, What If characters plus a ton of other heavily rumored cameos that never came into fruition but did generate a lot of hype.

While BP2 was considerably better received than T4 it just manages to score 100M more in the BO. And unfortunately with Chadwick’s passing there’s not a character in the BP franchise more popular than Thor and it’s not even close.

Well if they are developing Thor 5 because they still see some potential for success, I hope it does well and it doesn't end up like The Dark World/Love and Thunder.

But I also hope Shang-Chi 2, Doctor Strange 3, Black Panther 3 are released first. Its just weird to me, that Thor/Loki have been consistently getting projects when there are other ips out there waiting for a sequel or a film.

And Thor is actually the one I liked the most out of the original Avengers. But five Thor movies and 2 seasons for Loki are a bit much to me, considering there's plenty of other ips out there and Tony/Steve/Natasha are no longer in the mcu.

I just hope they do a great film. Such a beloved character needs more great films under his belt specially if this is indeed his “swan song” which I’m not totally convinced it is either.

Anyway if they are indeed developing the film then it should be coming relatively soon. Maybe it slots right after Secret Wars/2027. Now on to developing a great story with strong writers and a good director. Should be really interesting to see which crew they bring on board for this one.

In terms of characters there’s a few that i would love to see in this film.

- Beta Ray Bill / Skuttlebutt
- The Midgard Serpent
If this is Thor’s final film (better not be) then Beta Ray is compulsory!

I wouldn't mind seeing Kenneth Branagh brought back myself if they're returning to a less humorous approach. The first film is vastly underrated within the MCU line-up.

This quote is very interesting because it may hint to a T5 timetable.
So that’s six, seven years gone,” Waititi said about his current slate and how Marvel doesn’t factor into it right now. “I’d imagine another ‘Thor’ would be a lot sooner than that…
So 6/7 years from now where looking at 2029/2030. So taking into account the second part of his quote it seems to me that a T5 might be arriving just after the last official title on MCU’s release date…

May 7, 2027 – Avengers: Secret Wars

So 2028(or sooner?)could be a target release. I’m sure that Taika knew some of what the future plans for the character were and when those could come into fruition because he worked with Marvel and has even hinted at what another film could be about. Of course now that he’s no longer on board the content of the project will likely change and mold into whatever the next director/crew has in store for the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"