Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Thor Sequels' started by HammerDown, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Ragnaroknroll Registered

Thor had some small moments in that battle but yeah I was honestly disappointed. I know he was out of shape blah blah but still. You reminding me of this is making me realize I really need to see Thor back in top form. Feige talks about Endgame being a sort of closure but it was no kind of closure for Thor fans.

Now Waititi did gives us some of our best Thor power moments so I'm very optimistic we'll get a chance to see more of that in this new flick. But it's going to be bittersweet if everything is just a big joke.

2. Zarex Registered

So you were DONE with Flash and Green Lantern comics and the FF (with their Human Torch imposter) since the onset of the Silver Age? Along with recent movie like Ant Man & The Wasp, Logan, Captain Marvel, SHAZAM! and Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse? And upcoming projects like Stargirl, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, and Birds of Prey?

It's entirely possible that BOTH Portman and Hemsworth will shine in Love & Thunder. I don't see it as a competition.

That's comics for you. The same characters appearing in the same stories until the heat death of the universe. The appeal of legacies to me is the potential for new stories when a different character picks up the hammer, puts on the armor, straps on the shield or draws back the bow.

Everett Ross and doink like this.
  3. Ragnaroknroll Registered

One final thought for now. A lot of us love humor - and Thor is a humorous, zany kind of character at times and always has been. But I feel there's a sort of growing consensus among us long time Thor fans that enough's enough. Marvel is teetering way too far into silliness here and we need some gravitas and dignity with how our fave hero is handled. Infinity War gave us that. It was the perfect balance IMO. And then it was taken away for many of us.

Fact is Thor's all over the place. Cap and Iron Man couldn't ask for a better ending to their respective sagas. Whatever Marvel decides to do with the rightful king of Asgard, give him his proper due and give us fans the closure we deserve.

Shuri, JtheDreamer and BoredGuy like this.
  4. jolldan Registered

Sounds like it would be a cool way to reintroduce Sif as well as explain her absence as well.

5. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

For me personally, whether or not I connect with a legacy character depends entirely on that character's role before taking over the mantle.

I started reading Thor around the JMS run, so I had no connection to Jane as a character. Thor was in love with Sif, and Jane was just some ex-girlfriend who occasionally gave him medical help. Then Thor gets all mopey and Jane comes out of nowhere to pick up the hammer and is somehow immediately a better Thor than Thor ever was despite his thousands of years of training.

As a contrast, I supported X-23 to take over for Wolverine, because I liked the character and saw the connection she and Logan had been building for several years. (I didn't like the Death of Wolverine story, but that's a separate issue) but if anyone was to takeover it had to be her. She was trained and capable, and even then she had some stumbles on her way to becoming the new Wolverine. She wasn't just automatically better than her predecessor.

So I didn't love Jane as the pick for new Thor, and added to the fact that I don't care for Portman in these movies in general, it's disappointing after the high of hearing news that Taika would be back.

JtheDreamer likes this.
  6. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Exactly.

There's no development leading up to this. She's been gone for years after largely forgettable performances and now it's going to be "Oh hey look it's Jane and she's Mighty Thor now".

(I wish I knew how to mod this with a background from a Thor movie)
    [​IMG]

shinlyle likes this.
  7. Zarex Registered

I can see this, and hopefully Jane Thor will be presented as a different Thor as opposed to a better Thor. I did enjoy Jane Thor's more personal relationship with "Mew Mew" and I hope that will be carried over into Love & Thunder. And while I didn't hate Portman as much as some others, I can understand the criticism. But I LOVE the idea of working the original Thor crew - yes, even Darcy - into Team Ragnarok.

Ragnaroknroll likes this.
  8. spider-neil spins a web any size!

I hope the director takes this movie somewhat seriously. I had big problems with how pretty much every series moment in the movie was undercut with a joke. The worst being the joke after Thor's home of centuries is blown to pieces. If you don't take it seriously then why should I?

I thought the Russo's did a much better job with Thor in Infinity War. In fact, the Russo's make pretty much every hero better.

9. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Oh god no...

The "fat-shaming Thor" jokes were kind of off-putting, but I don't need more Darcy in these Thor films. Ragnarok was so great in part because they finally ditched those human characters.

Shuri likes this.
  10. Ragnaroknroll Registered

Hmmmm that's actually a great idea and it would be based on the source material.

11. Ragnaroknroll Registered

The Cheese Whiz comment was Thor's low point if you ask me. That wasn't fat shaming. That was just blatant disrespect to the character. I still get mad thinking about it.

I don't really care if Darcy ever comes back but she was silly and sweet and didn't bother me in the least.

12. Ragnaroknroll Registered

Agree. Infinity War is peak Thor.

13. Ragnaroknroll Registered

OK now I don't want to read Jane Thor. I wasn't blown away by Aaron's God Butcher or War of the Realms and this sounds worse.

What is it with other people taking Thor's power and using it better than him?

JtheDreamer likes this.
  14. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I mean, im simplifying for effect, I'd still read the story
    but yeah, she basically started immediately using powers Thor never knew mjolnir had
    supposedly because Jane and the hammer had a 'connection' and she understood its essence, while Thor always just thought it was a hammer that channeled his powers

15. Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

I didn't get the impression that Jane used Mjolnir better, just differently. She is able to make Mjolnir fly around in more advanced ways, but she also felt less powerful. Kind of putting more points into agility and less into strength. ;)

I guess power levels vary even within the story (let alone in comics in general), but I don't remember her doing anything on the level that Thor does in the Godbutcher story, and unworthy Thor beats up Apocalypse and the X-Men on his own (young Loki lures him away because he's afraid Thor will kill them, as t, so he's hardly useless without Mjolnir either.

16. Fallen I'm done running from my past.

17. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

For me it was the rainbow bridge scene at the end of Ragnarok - nothing has come close to the powers he put on display. Although I know why some would choose the neutron star blast in IG.

18. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Understood its essence? Oh God.

Pass.

Mr. Peanut and shinlyle like this.
  19. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

:funny:. Is there a prize to be won for being Thor's fan?

I'm here because I'm a fan of MCU Thor. And I don't care what Thor did with Adam in the comics, I just don't want him to overshadow the guardians in their own movie. Another reason I don't want him in it is that Hemsworth seems to love playing fun Thor, and I fear that he would over do it if he gets paired with the guardians. I love fun Thor, but I didn't like him in Endgame, I fear we'll get more of the same in gotg 3. I'm glad it looks like he won't be in it. :D

Everett Ross and THORin like this.
  20. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

Don't even think about it. That character is the definition of annoying.

21. Shuri Smartest person in the MCU.

Come on guys, you've got to stop before Taika sees this and next thing you know, we get a press release that Darcy is going to be in this. :nrv:

22. Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

The Mighty Thor was a really high quality run in terms of writing and art. I think Jane's story is beautiful there and it's pretty cool that Marvel does look to recent stories for inspiration.

Everett Ross likes this.
  23. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

24. ComicChick I Work Too Much

No.

25. Ragnaroknroll Registered

Yes! We're all card carrying members don't you know? ;-)

Well I'm not sure if your opinion counts more than mine because you're a movie fan and I'm a comic fan (actually I'm a fan of both) but I certainly care what Thor did with Adam in the comics. The movies frankly wouldn't exist without the comics and I personally would not have been a fan without the comics. Marvel has of course has gone off script from time to time but generally the films tend to maintain some kind of faithfulness to the source material. If there are classic moments from the comics that fans really enjoyed then why wouldn't they want to see it realized on film?