Sequels Thor 5 - News

Really impossible to predict how this'll turn out. I hope a new director takes Thor in a more serious, epic tone, and doesn't just try to be Waititi-lite or whatever. What I want is a full movie of the Thor we got in Infinity War, dangit.

4 solo movies for Thor without recasting the lead role, is pretty much a record when it comes to Marvel movies.

Disney should be content with 4 Thor movies. A 5th Thor movie has the potential of being the lowest grossing Thor movie ever, and another low point for the MCU. And after The Dark World and Love & Thunder, I really don't really want another Thor movie.

Put him somewhere else, and focus on other movies like SC2, BP3, DS3 and SM4.

4 solo movies for Thor without recasting the lead role, is pretty much a record when it comes to Marvel movies.

Disney should be content with 4 Thor movies. A 5th Thor movie has the potential of being the lowest grossing Thor movie ever, and another low point for the MCU. And after The Dark World and Love & Thunder, I really don't really want another Thor movie.

Put him somewhere else, and focus on other movies like SC2, BP3, DS3 and SM4.
Why would they recast Thor? It would be a pretty dumb idea by Marvel since he’s a big part of their bread and butter and character with an immensely rich mythology…

TLT with a below average critical reception for an MCU film still scored 760M(- China & Russia). Had it been decently well received and with those markets on board it would have cracked 1B. Did the Thor franchise collapsed after TDW? No. It bounced back in a massive way and the franchise soared into new heights both critically and financially. TLT was definitely a misstep but the character still has a lot of good will among the fans and general audience alike and if T5 is done well it will undoubtably bring people back on board.

I want more good Thor movies. :-)

I’m on board for a more darker tone and I really enjoyed both Godzilla and Rogue One so I’m all for it. A solid script is a must as well.

Gareth Edwards has stated that he's not interested in these types of franchises anymore, so I hope he continues to do his own things.

Why would they recast Thor? It would be a pretty dumb idea by Marvel since he’s a big part of their bread and butter and character with an immensely rich mythology…

TLT with a below average critical reception for an MCU film still scored 760M(- China & Russia). Had it been decently well received and with those markets on board it would have cracked 1B. Did the Thor franchise collapsed after TDW? No. It bounced back in a massive way and the franchise soared into new heights both critically and financially. TLT was definitely a misstep but the character still has a lot of good will among the fans and general audience alike and if T5 is done well it will undoubtably bring people back on board.

I want more good Thor movies. :-)
I didn't say about being Thor recast. They should retire the character in an Avengers movie.

Also, with how the Marvels performed, I wonder what numbers are they eXpecting for this? A budget lower than $175 million? $250 million North America gross? $450 million worldwide gross? It surely not going to outgross Love and Thunder. It would even take a lot to even come close to L&T's numbers, and this film need to be good as well and eXceptionally better than the last movie.

Not sure, as a Thor fan, why you'd want this pressure for a Thor film. Its not like as if 4 Thor movies with the same actor wasn't enough.

I didn't say about being Thor recast. They should retire the character in an Avengers movie.

Also, with how the Marvels performed, I wonder what numbers are they eXpecting for this? A budget lower than $175 million? $250 million North America gross? $450 million worldwide gross? It surely not going to outgross Love and Thunder. It would even take a lot to even come close to L&T's numbers, and this film need to be good as well and eXceptionally better than the last movie.

Not sure, as a Thor fan, why you'd want this pressure for a Thor film. Its not like as if 4 Thor movies with the same actor wasn't enough.
I agree that they one day will retire the character and of course the biggest stage for that would be an Avengers movies down the road. Having said that I doubt it would happen in the near future. Something as big and impactful as retiring Thor needs to be saved for the biggest stage of it all and I would say that an ultimate battle against Galactus would be the perfect time to do it.

The Marvels is no comparison. At the very least I would say it cracks the TLT numbers. They seem to be veering off into a more serious approach to the character which is a welcomed course correction and will definitely bring a large chunk of the fans and audience on board back again and of course they still gotta keep some of that tongue and cheek peppered throughout so it gets everyone on board.

A budget of 200M will likely be the sweet spot for this. They definitely will save a lot of money if they have a great solid script to begin with so they don’t have to be meddling with the final product too much in post and having to balloon the overal cost as it happened with TLT.

TLT was a critical disappointment and it still managed to preform pretty well at the box office all things considered and I attribute that to the amount of goodwill there’s for the character. Of course they have to get people back on board once again and they’re already on the right track to do so and naturally if it traction with fans/GA and is eventually well received critically it will do just fine.

There’s no pressure without another film. I gladly welcome that pressure for T5 because I just want it to succeed as another good Thor film. There are a ton of other actors that have played their characters in many films and the character of Thor is one that lands itself perfectly to just that.

A few ideas for T5. If they wanna give the film stakes then go ahead and create a big enough threat to Thor that permanently damages the character for example a battle mid-movie against a foe like The Midgard Serpent where Thor is critically injured and his arm is bitten off giving place to the long awaited introduction(by me anyway) of the iconic Uru arm maybe made by Eitri himself coated with some Wakandan vibranium for example.

main-qimg-6e87c6d39e786420005b122f5aa2a1c4-lq

Have him finally sit in the real Asgardian throne. With all the scars of battle, with the eye patch, uru arm and Mjolnir by his side. What a sight to behold it would be.

611feaa12923b90e4b8cebeff23dbe92

Also give him his crows at some point as Odin had them if the first film. It would be cool having those black birds around and they could visually announce the presence or arrival of Thor. It would be a nice touch to show that Thor still keeps his eyes/the crows eyes on things even if he’s not around.

I agree that they one day will retire the character and of course the biggest stage for that would be an Avengers movies down the road. Having said that I doubt it would happen in the near future. Something as big and impactful as retiring Thor needs to be saved for the biggest stage of it all and I would say that an ultimate battle against Galactus would be the perfect time to do it.

The Marvels is no comparison. At the very least I would say it cracks the TLT numbers. They seem to be veering off into a more serious approach to the character which is a welcomed course correction and will definitely bring a large chunk of the fans and audience on board back again and of course they still gotta keep some of that tongue and cheek peppered throughout so it gets everyone on board.

A budget of 200M will likely be the sweet spot for this. They definitely will save a lot of money if they have a great solid script to begin with so they don’t have to be meddling with the final product too much in post and having to balloon the overal cost as it happened with TLT.

TLT was a critical disappointment and it still managed to preform pretty well at the box office all things considered and I attribute that to the amount of goodwill there’s for the character. Of course they have to get people back on board once again and they’re already on the right track to do so and naturally if it traction with fans/GA and is eventually well received critically it will do just fine.

There’s no pressure without another film. I gladly welcome that pressure for T5 because I just want it to succeed as another good Thor film. There are a ton of other actors that have played their characters in many films and the character of Thor is one that lands itself perfectly to just that.
Thor never had a billion dollar grossing solo film unlike Captain Marvel. So a 5th solo Thor film, probably has a big chance of underperforming as well. With four solo films + potential appearances for future Avengers are good enough. Going an extra mile for another Thor film that has a possibility of just underperforming doesn't seem worth it. Love and Thunder isn't very a beloved film so that + MCU fatigue won't bond well for a 5th Thor solo film.

Iff they retired Steve Rogers and Tony Stark in phase 3, they should probably retire in phase 6. No need to wait long enough until people sees that he already overstayed his welcome. By phase 7 to 9, that would be the case.

Thor never had a billion dollar grossing solo film unlike Captain Marvel. So a 5th solo Thor film, probably has a big chance of underperforming as well. With four solo films + potential appearances for future Avengers are good enough. Going an extra mile for another Thor film that has a possibility of just underperforming doesn't seem worth it. Love and Thunder isn't very a beloved film so that + MCU fatigue won't bond well for a 5th Thor solo film.

Iff they retired Steve Rogers and Tony Stark in phase 3, they should probably retire in phase 6. No need to wait long enough until people sees that he already overstayed his welcome. By phase 7 to 9, that would be the case.
Again TLT could have easily been that 1B hit if it was a better film and was playing at some very important international markets. Captain Marvel come out around what is now generally regarded as peak MCU and was sandwiched between 2 of the biggest movies of all time. That definitely helped. Now CM got a similar critical reception to TLT and completely imploded so that tells a story in itself.

If the studio is giving the franchise/character another go is that they have enough faith that it will do well enough. They know what they have on their hands and if they manage to stick the landing they’ll be more than just fine.

I think there’s more fatigue of average to mediocre content than the brand in itself. They just have to do better, work harder and more diligently on the product they are putting out there. Maybe stop trying to connect so many loose ends and focus on more streamlined and rewarding stories.

Steve Rogers aka Captain America is coming back. There’s no doubt about it in my mind so that “retirement” was more like a temporary pause for that character. The studio won’t miss out on banking on the character’s return and I could even see the same happening to Iron Man.

The difference is also that Thor has a very rich mythology both on the comics and the real world where it originally originated. More stories could still be told and I could easily seem them holding on to the character for many years to come with a similar pause post T5 until he eventually returns as an older version of the character in the latter stages of the MCU itself.

I’m on board for a more darker tone and I really enjoyed both Godzilla and Rogue One so I’m all for it. A solid script is a must as well.

Now that's what I want to hear.

Unfortunately, it'll be impossible to escape the awkwardness of the fact that Thor's next story will be taken seriously while a story about terminal cancer, child starvation, child abduction, and mass murder was made into a wacky jokefest. I mean unless they can find an even darker subject for Thor's next movie, I guess.

Now that's what I want to hear.

Unfortunately, it'll be impossible to escape the awkwardness of the fact that Thor's next story will be taken seriously while a story about terminal cancer, child starvation, child abduction, and mass murder was made into a wacky jokefest. I mean unless they can find an even darker subject for Thor's next movie, I guess.
Also losing a father, his hammer, an eye and a whole planet while cracking jokes to raise those laughs per minute in the film before that. :whatever:

I love Ragnarok and have little to no qualms with it. As far as I’m concerned they stroke a perfect balance to give the character a fresh and revigorated new take that eventually paid great dividends in Infinity War. The issue is with TLT which simply failed to strike that balance because it was too silly and unfocused. While there were plenty of good things to like as well I think they were spread sporadically around a bit of a mess of a project.

They should’ve done better. Specially with the material they had on their hands. They tried to juggle way too many balls and it just backfired. A disappointment for sure. TLT was more AEG and less Ragnarok & IW hence the corse correction needed for T5.

Now looking into Gareth Edward’s name being mentioned for T5 I wonder if his filmography is a hint of what is to come if he indeed takes the reigns in the directorial chair.

From what I’ve seen of his work and namely Godzilla and Rogue One, his work has that visual flare, he has experience with scale like playing with giant monsters, the suspense, destruction and also juggling a big essemble of characters and working them as a team with plenty of serious beats and straight down epic moments from both of his projects. I think the Vader appearance in Rogue One, Godzilla’s rampage are a pretty good evidence of that more bombastic and epic side of his filmmaking.

Also Rogue One was my favorite film of the last batch of SW films so there’s that and I’m not even that big of a fan of SW either so that tells me anyways that I can already appreciate his work. And Godzilla for me was a really solid watch, while the human stuff was a bit lacking I think that the monster stuff worked really well when it was finally revealed.

So in short big monsters and big essemble of characters. This is the vibe I’m getting.

large-9325192.jpg

u31b98cei1p91.jpg

immortal-thor-5.jpg

This quote is very interesting because it may hint to a T5 timetable.

So 6/7 years from now where looking at 2029/2030. So taking into account the second part of his quote it seems to me that a T5 might be arriving just after the last official title on MCU’s release date…

May 7, 2027 – Avengers: Secret Wars

So 2028(or sooner?)could be a target release. I’m sure that Taika knew some of what the future plans for the character were and when those could come into fruition because he worked with Marvel and has even hinted at what another film could be about. Of course now that he’s no longer on board the content of the project will likely change and mold into whatever the next director/crew has in store for the character.
Nice. I hope Hemsworth is back for it. His daughter mentioned how important him playing Thor was for entertaining kids around the world so it might help get him back.

Looking at Hemsworth latest turn in Furiosa and the great reception to his villainous character in that, I think it’s time Marvel taps into something like that for Thor 5. I honestly think people would love to see an evil or no hold bars version of Thor, I know for a fact that fans would be salivating at the sight of a badass and unrestrained Thor.

If they for example showed a glimpse of an evil version of Thor taking over Earth and wrecking the avengers in the process I bet people would go nuts. Or Thor succumbing to the Warrior Madness where he would be at the most raw and uncontrollable form… Of course that wouldn’t be a definitive thing but like a short term situation, could even be a vision, alternate universe/reality or even if he was under a spell or something. It could potentially draw a big chunk of the more “serious” audience/fans into the mix and make big money at the box office.

Looking at Hemsworth latest turn in Furiosa and the great reception to his villainous character in that, I think it’s time Marvel taps into something like that for Thor 5. I honestly think people would love to see an evil or no hold bars version of Thor, I know for a fact that fans would be salivating at the sight of a badass and unrestrained Thor.

If they for example showed a glimpse of an evil version of Thor taking over Earth and wrecking the avengers in the process I bet people would go nuts. Or Thor succumbing to the Warrior Madness where he would be at the most raw and uncontrollable form… Of course that wouldn’t be a definitive thing but like a short term situation, could even be a vision, alternate universe/reality or even if he was under a spell or something. It could potentially draw a big chunk of the more “serious” audience/fans into the mix and make big money at the box office.

I would like this but given how they set up actual Greek gods in this universe like Zeus, Hercules, etc then they might have to follow that up in Thor 5

Take it with a grain of salt because I don’t know if this is just speculation or an educated guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"