Thor SFX

Aeltri

Elf in Training
Reaction score
If magic is made to look this impressive I'll be happy (not to mention the score is pretty awesome):

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NbindcjXppw&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NbindcjXppw&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/YT]

It's from a new film by Disney btw. I am curious to know what you guys would really like to see in terms of CG eyecandy...

Last edited:
Well i believe ILM is doing Thor's sfx if i am not mistaken. So i dont think we have to worry.

Yeah, I'm sure Thor's effects will look good. That clip is awesome, though.

Yeah, I'm sure Thor's effects will look good. That clip is awesome, though.

Oh, I have no doubt ILM's work will be good. The main thing I wanted to know is how important such things are to other posters, if you think that actors should be digitally enhanced when playing non-humans and to what extent. Or if magic (there's going to be plenty of it) should be understated or flashy, how they should depict the Nine Worlds in the prologue, etc...

As far as the trailer is concerned, the witch creating the stone golems also reminds me a bit of Karnilla.

Last edited:
Magic should definitely be flashy. Something along the lines of that clip would be great, especially where Loki and possibly Odin are concerned (depending on how much magic Odin actually uses in the film). I'd like to see Mjolnir have a lot of cool effects, too. They should give the impression that it's more than just a normal hammer without actually having to state it.

I can't see the video at work, what movie is it from?

I can't see the video at work, what movie is it from?

The literal translation is "The Book of Masters", from what I've read a lot of it is drawn from Russian mythology. Not coincidentally, the Rus were said to be of Scandinavian origin for the most part :cwink:...

Probably on DVD. I hope the english dub isn't too bad, even though as an anime fan I am used to reading subtitles :cwink:.

It's produced by Disney but apparently everything, including the SFX were done in Russia for roughly $7 million.

oh cool cool, do u got any links about the film?

Iron Man 2 SFX Guy's Twitter said:
Working through some resequenced shots. Looking forward to doing some real work on Thor in February.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Those look impressive. The movie looks interesting, like LOTR meets The Tempest or something. I'll Netflix it.

Damn nice vid - that would look great on a cinema sized screen; talk about spectacle.

With ILM in charge, I've no doubt that we'll get something even better though. My only hope is that it's as big in scope as some of the stuff in that vid.

Man, Russian FX houses sure do come up with some interesting shots.

Damn nice vid - that would look great on a cinema sized screen; talk about spectacle.

With ILM in charge, I've no doubt that we'll get something even better though. My only hope is that it's as big in scope as some of the stuff in that vid.

Even when you take the exchange rate into consideration what that SFX house came up with is admirable. Everything from the character designs to the shots is nicely done. Heck even the lightning! It's showy high magic minus the cheese factor which is rarely seen even with advances in 3D. In relation to Thor I think given the fact that it's based on a comic book we should expect big things SFX wise. IIRC Loki does not have the ability to truly bring inanimate constructs to life, Thor himself stated that. Loki can animate something to give it the semblance of life, at least for a time. In this way his magic is liken to Malekith's faerie glamour. Tiwaz and Odin on the otherhand are shown to be much more powerful, so what that witch did would be more in their league.

How do you know those guys don't just have the semblance of life? Loki and Karnilla animated Durok the Demolisher, who appeared to be at least as "alive" as those guys.

I am going to have to re-read that particular issue then. If the spell was not cast by both magic-users in tandem (as this is the only way bolster it's power considerably) then it's one more case of Marvel discontinuity :whatever:. I trust Thor to know what he is talking about in regards to his stepbrother's magical capabilities :cwink:.

Posted: Tue., Jan. 12, 2010, 4:33pm PT

Domain sets Vancouver team

Branch booked with two Disney projects
By DAVID S. COHEN

Visual effects studio Digital Domain has filled out the management team at its just-opened Vancouver branch, which is already booked with two major projects for Disney.

Troy Brooks joins Digital Domain Vancouver as studio manager, Arin Finger is studio producer, and Tim Belsher is pipeline supervisor.

DD vet Darren Poe joins the Vancouver team as digital supervisor.

DD Vancouver officially opened last week and is already working on Disney's "Tron Legacy" and will soon start on Disney/Marvel's "Thor." Both pics are already in production at DD's Venice, Calif. HQ.

Canada native Brooks was co-founder and CEO of PipelineFX. Finger's credits include "A Christmas Carol," "Night at the Museum" and "Hellboy."

Belsher was a CG supervisor on "District 9" and helped build the vfx pipeline for that pic.

Poe was DD's digital effects supervisor on last year's "2012" and "Star Trek."
Source:http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013682.html

Not sure what this means for ILM's involvement.:huh: It's probable that Digital Domain are only handling a portion of the effects shots.

yea they are probably working on certain things while ILM is doing other shots.

I see that as a good sign.

It could be due to the sheer amount of shots needed for the movie that theyve had to go to two FX houses to make sure they are all completed to the sufficient standard a.k.a. we're gonna get some sustained crazy-ass lightning, creature and super-strength fx sequences.

:up:

Take a look at DD's filmography (Click "Feature Film", then "The Work")

Pirates 3, Transformers, Transformers 2, and Star Trek are just a few of the films DD has worked on where ILM was considered the "main" effects house on the film, so I'd say this won't have any effect on ILM's involvement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"