TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

I would even say that Lee had the right idea when it came to what the movie should have been about. He got the psychology, and even the tone.

The problem with the movie really wholly fell on the script.

And Bana. Even though I think he's a very good actor, after seeing Ruffalo, I definitely don't think Bana lended enough personality and charisma to the character at all.

TIH seemed like it was an adaption of the old tv show rather than the actual comics, I watched it excited and with the mindset of "Alright this is gonna be even better than Ang's!" But when it was over I felt totally cheated, like the folks behind TIH didn't bother to do one bit of research on their source material and thought "I watched the old show, that'll be good enough right?" Right when they showed how he was exposed to Gamma for the first time, I knew I had a stinker on my hands.

Ang's Hulk by far.

Liv Tyler is a solid actress and William Hurt is a great actress, but they really just stood there and played the "girlfriend" and "antagonistic father-in-law" type characters. Sam Elliot and Jennifer Connelly (who is a great actress) did so much more with the roles. They felt human. Ang Lee made her more than a girlfriend, but a really well-developed character. The scene where she talks to her father at the end on the phone is just great.

First off, I think William Hurt might take issue with you calling him a great actress. ;)

Seriously though, I agree with what you are saying here, and I've never had a problem with Ang's Hulk as far as the performances.

Where TIH shines is in it's portrayal of Banner as a man without hope and living on the edge. Ang just got too artsy fartsy, and ruins the pacing of the film with stupid comic book panels and such.

What I hated the most about Ang's movie was where he does the flashback within a flashback. Where Bruce is looking at a picture of Betty, where they flash back to them having a outing in the woods, and then she has a flashback to when she was a child. At that point he lost me for the rest of the movie.

I really wish I could comprehend why people dislike the comic panels so much

And I'm not saying that sarcastically. I really do. They've always seem nothing but pretty cool to me. Maybe a little disorienting in certain scenes when they have them moving around quickly, but I love the concept, and the ability they give the audience to see the same scene from multiple perspectives.

I remember it confused the hell out of me the first time I saw the film :funny:.

I prefer the drama of ang lee's hulk but the coke bottle sequence (which is almost horroresque) for me tops anything that the ang lee movie has to offer.
if you take the best bits from each movie (drama from ang lee/action from TIH) you'd have the perfect hulk movie.

I really wish I could comprehend why people dislike the comic panels so much

And I'm not saying that sarcastically. I really do. They've always seem nothing but pretty cool to me. Maybe a little disorienting in certain scenes when they have them moving around quickly, but I love the concept, and the ability they give the audience to see the same scene from multiple perspectives.

I liked it untill it got so repetitive it hurt the narrative. At one point I was just hating them and not following the movie. Many of them were genius but a huge amount were unnecessary.

I remember when Hulk was growling at some soldiers (or operators) at the military base and they looked so... puny... and were all running away. That was a great shot, but Ang Lee decided to minimize it and put it with 4 other shots and it got completely lost.

And Bana. Even though I think he's a very good actor, after seeing Ruffalo, I definitely don't think Bana lended enough personality and charisma to the character at all.

Different takes though. Bana was playing a heavily repressed Banner, Ruffalo is Banner with a semblance of control and a bit of sense of humor about it all after dealing with it for sometime.

I prefer the drama of ang lee's hulk but the coke bottle sequence (which is almost horroresque) for me tops anything that the ang lee movie has to offer.
if you take the best bits from each movie (drama from ang lee/action from TIH) you'd have the perfect hulk movie.
huh?:huh:

I think a lot of the comic book panels in HULK look great. The only issue I have with that approach is Talbot's "cartoon cutout" death sequence. I don't look at the panels as comic book panels so much as what they're used for, to get different perspectives on the story.

I really think Bana and Ruffalo gave similar, understated performances with a kind of a dry humor and quiet sarcasm. Bana almost had more emotion than Ruffalo did.

Yeah, Talbot's death was legitimately awful.

Different takes though. Bana was playing a heavily repressed Banner, Ruffalo is Banner with a semblance of control and a bit of sense of humor about it all after dealing with it for sometime.

That's true. They're playing completely different versions of the character. Ruffalo's Banner has been out and accepting his condition for years. He's not the reppressed character Bana was.

No, it goes beyond that, though. Ruffalo interjected a likability and weariness that Bana never had.

That could've still been show with him being repressed.

I prefer Hulk, I think it was ahead of it's time, people weren't ready for a 2hour+ film, especially when they are expecting an action-fest. When we get to the action, man is it good! I don't mind the slow start, I like getting into Banner's head, and seeing that his emotions and genes are already totally screwed. Gamma just transforms what was unfortunetly already there. (Also, I understand longtime fans probably had issues with the creative liberties taken with both films origins, but I fully embrace taking those chances) ((provided they aren't assinine, this is probably it's own topic of discussion)).

I get some longtimers also probably scoff that mere dogs can be a threat to Hulk, but seriously, that fight scene is pretty cool. It is on a scale no other comic film had up to that point! It takes place in the middle of a red wood forest, and Hulk brings one of those things down. That specific part of the fight is Avengers calibur if you ask me. Hulk and Absorbing Dad duking it out and teleporting through clouds via lighting was also very awesome. And what is there to say that hasn't been said about the desert scene? You know, the Hulk might take his time to show his green mug, but he stays transformed at least 30 minutes straight from the water tank to the end of San Fran!

All in all, I view The Incredible Hulk as a direct sequel to Hulk, and it makes me enjoy TIH a bit more. I mean, it even starts off in Brazil where the last film ended, so while it is ambiguous, I still count it in my personal views of the MCU. I enjoyed the action scenes in TIH, especially the end fight, that was the first time we got to see Hulk in a true brawl. I also like the way Hulk looks more in the first film than TIH. I read in some Avengers interview, where an animator mentions the Hulks portrayel in TA. They made him less muscular and ripped than TIH, because then they can really showcase when he flexes and uses those muscles. Lee's film kind of went that route with Hulk's CGI as well.

What i loved was the way it showed Hulk's anger, as an actual emotion, defeated Absorbing Man, or whatever you wanna call him. He was absorbing the Gamma energy of Hulk, but Hulk went completely mental "TAKE IT AAAAAAALLLLLLL!" and overloaded Absorbing Man.

I agree! It took me a few viewings to fully realize it, but even his transformations in Hulk look like a battle, Rage trying to be unleashed and surpressed, beyond the obvious sense of Banner not trying to let out Hulk. I thought Bana was good Banner, even though Norton had that traditional look of the character. We are lucky we have had 3 good actors play the role. But I knew when hearing Ruffalo was cast he would be best yet, if only he was in all 3 films! I also like Connelly and Elliot over Tyler and Hurt.

One would assume any Hulk fan's check list would have Hulk being portrayed as an actual character high up on it as well as both Banner and Hulk relating to/hating each other.

Very true observation I hadn't thought about. As mentioned it is briefly touched upon in Hulk, but thankfully now we have a Ruffalo who can really play with this notion if the Hulk gets his next solo film.

I really wish I could comprehend why people dislike the comic panels so much.

I think the issue here is, they don't show up until like 40 minutes into the movie, I can see how some think it's abrupt and that initially takes away the sleekness of it. They get cooler and cooler throughout the movie (minus the big ol' slice o' cheese when Talbot explodes). If they had one of those sooner, it probably wouldn't have been as weird.

Last edited:
Seems like norton's still kinda being *****y about the whole situation. :/

Norton needs to get the hell over it. He didn't exactly stamp his authority on the Banner role anyway. Ruffalo did.

You and I and everyone else would know if norton were in the avengers, he'd have been all over it. But since he isn't "It's not really a priority for me".

Duh, if Norton actually worked on the film, of course it would have been a priority for him. But since he didn't, it has no bearing on him at all. I don't think he was trying to be rude with that comment, just stating how he sees the situation. Was it a priority for Michael Keaton to go see Batman Forever? I wonder if Tobey has a midnight ticket for The Amazing Spider-Man.

Plus Norton is portrayed as a control freak, so yeah he probably would have been all over Avengers, and stressing the **** outta Whedon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"