TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Liv Tyler is a solid actress and William Hurt is a great actress, but they really just stood there and played the "girlfriend" and "antagonistic father-in-law" type characters. Sam Elliot and Jennifer Connelly (who is a great actress) did so much more with the roles. They felt human. Ang Lee made her more than a girlfriend, but a really well-developed character. The scene where she talks to her father at the end on the phone is just great.

I agree 100%. This might be due to directing style. Letterier, known for his Transporter film and Clash of The Titans is not really a character director. Ang on the other hand, if you listen to the commentary made the actors on Hulk do almost 20 takes on each scene. His philosophy is that the more they did it, the better they got. And it shows.

TIH seems to be closer to what a Hulk movies should be imo. I don't have attention span problems but it took far too long in the first movie until we see a transformation. Plus the Hulk should not look like he's 15 ft tall either.

I agree 100%. This might be due to directing style. Letterier, known for his Transporter film and Clash of The Titans is not really a character director. Ang on the other hand, if you listen to the commentary made the actors on Hulk do almost 20 takes on each scene. His philosophy is that the more they did it, the better they got. And it shows.

Yeah it definately does show, the acting in Hulk generally across the board was better than in TIH, I also thought the characters were better written in Hulk as well. Betty and especially Ross seemed much more like their comic-book counterparts and Connelly was much more convincing as a scientist than Tyler as well.

TIH was far superior to Hulk but I did enjoy it.
I liked Norton over Bana but Bana did a great job.
Easily Connelly over Tyler. Liv barely spoke in the movie and when she did, she seemed to always whisper her words.

I could write a a few paragraphs of the pros and cons of each(imo) but I won't.

I surprised how much me and my friends liked HULK when it first came out, considering we were frickin 8 years old at the time. I still kind of like it though. Probably even more so then TIH because of the psychology of it all.

I agree TIH is still canon to the "FILM" Universe.

But regular audience
will NOT get lost in the Avengers 2012 if they did NOT see TIH.

The films of Ironman, Thor, and Captain America has so much of an impact that everyone has to watch them before they watch the Avengers film to truly experience the whole scope.

TIH, however does not. The movie is NOT BAD but it does not compare to the other 3.

Those 3 were ORIGIN STORIES. TIH is NOT. Unless you count the opening credits.

Hulk's Origin can simply be explain in one line in the Avengers film as a brilliant scientist who is an expert in Gamma Radiation who became the powerful Hulk.

I'm NOT SAYING IT'S NOT CANON.

I'm saying that general audience will not miss anything in Aveners if TIH was never made.

TIH is an AVERAGE Superhero Movie at best

I see your point however my in-laws only saw the previous Iron Man films and still loved avengers. They missed Cap and Thor and still seemed to get the movie. I see your point though, to get the full scope of the film, Thor and Cap are essential setups. I think that's more of a function of writing the films around the same time period. All within a year of each other or so. While Incredible Hulk was made way back in 2008. And its funny but if you watch the Thor Blu-Ray the bonus film "The Consultant" which features agent Colson, nicely frames the scene with Stark at the end of Incredible Hulk and ties it in with Avengers rather brilliantly.

Director Ang Lee on Life of Pi, Petting Tigers, and His Hulk Regret
Jennifer Vineyard said:
How did doing The Hulk prepare you for this? And what did you think of Mark Ruffalo's Hulk in The Avengers?

I learned quite a bit about CG from The Hulk, and I wouldn't have been able to do Life of Pi without that. But it's easier to create an animal, because there exists a good reference — so a tiger or a hyena is easier than a 2,000-pound rage monster. The hardest thing to do is the weight, not the skin, because there's no reference for something that size that is agile. And the technology's improved, so you can have more details with Mark's Hulk. My problem is that I took the whole thing too seriously. I should have had more fun with it, instead of all the psychodrama! [Laughs.]

That's too bad he feels that way. Hulk should be taken seriously. I agree it could have used more fun, like TIH, but I would rather a movie be overly serious than really stupid.
Ang did well in my opinion. Some things sucked, and I like TIH more, but Hulk 03 has a special place in my heart.

I don't care what anyone says more people currently and probably into the future too will remember Ang's hulk over TIH.

TIH literally came and went and to me that is often worst than being remembered as a bad film. Ang's hulk was ambitious and he was ahead of his time. Look at the nolan series ang pretty much laid the groundwork for the psychological and dark superhero film.

Had Ang waited a few years to make his hulk and along with better cgi it would have been seen as a very different movie.

I don't care what anyone says more people currently and probably into the future too will remember Ang's hulk over TIH.

TIH literally came and went and to me that is often worst than being remembered as a bad film. Ang's hulk was ambitious and he was ahead of his time. Look at the nolan series ang pretty much laid the groundwork for the psychological and dark superhero film.

Had Ang waited a few years to make his hulk and along with better cgi it would have been seen as a very different movie.

:applaud:applaud

I agree with everything Arnold just said.

I couldnt agree more, its says something that to this day I watch Ang's movie more than TIH, especially when I have watched Hulk a lot more and it is 5 years older.

It is just a better movie and offers a lot more on re-watch as there is much more to invest in the characters.

98 to 53..........

You guys are definitely in the minority here.......

Ang stunk up the Hulk!

TIH began taking that "stank" off the Green Goliath.....

The Avengers movie made him a star again!!

Marvel needs to strike while the iron is hot!! Hulk stole the show!

TIH seems to be closer to what a Hulk movies should be imo. I don't have attention span problems but it took far too long in the first movie until we see a transformation. Plus the Hulk should not look like he's 15 ft tall either.

Not to mention those stupid sliding comic book panels....."Thanks Ang for letting us know we were watching a comic book movie! We didn't know!":woot:

Not to mention those stupid sliding comic book panels....."Thanks Ang for letting us know we were watching a comic book movie! We didn't know!":woot:

Well, let's be honest. At the time, most of the public STILL probably didn't. Up to that point, the reference for most people was the TV show.

And don't let my avatar fool you, I think Ang's movie is a very flawed film, but it has a lot of great stuff going on too.

Though not true at all, I think if Ang's film has a lasting legacy, it will be thought of as a flop. Even though it was just as financially successful as the TIH, and just as many critics liked it.

I think it ultimately landed that reputation because it defied expectation. Is it the Hulk comic or even TV show fans wanted or expected? No, TIH successfully walked THAT line. But it WAS different and creative. On that level I really respect what Ang did and I still enjoy the movie.

Nothing will ever convince me that Hulk is better than TIH. TIH wasn't an amazing movie by any means. But it was exactly what I wanted to see in a movie about the Hulk: a show of brute strength, a battle with the Army (yeah, both had that), a hand-to-hand battle with an equal physical opponent, skipping the origin and gamma accident and virtually nonstop action.

Hulk was very slow, had a villain that was extremely subpar, giant mutant dogs and a number of cheesy moments (i.e. the comic panels) that simply made me laugh.

IMO, the only thing Hulk had over TIH was Jennifer Connelly is better than Liv Tyler.

Aside from my other points i still hold the Hulk's desert army battle better than any of the TIH action scenes. I mean compare that with the hulk's "army battle" in TIH.

I think it ultimately landed that reputation because it defied expectation. Is it the Hulk comic or even TV show fans wanted or expected? No, TIH successfully walked THAT line. But it WAS different and creative. On that level I really respect what Ang did and I still enjoy the movie.

As I've said before: Ang Lee's Hulk is unique. And because it is unique, the world won't tolerate its existence.

TIH was better but Ang Lee's Hulk wasn't as bad as most of Fox's Marvel movies.

Aside from my other points i still hold the Hulk's desert army battle better than any of the TIH action scenes. I mean compare that with the hulk's "army battle" in TIH.

Agreed, nothing in TIH compared, heck not many actions scenes in ANY CBM compare, its an amazing sequence even today.

The army battle in TIH was very poor in comparison, they swapped tanks, jets and helicopters for humvee's with 50 cals, it didnt compare in any way.

As I've said before: Ang Lee's Hulk is unique. And because it is unique, the world won't tolerate its existence.

:up: Remember that quote being in you sig, loved it.

I still haven't seen TIH since it was in theaters and I walked out greatly disappointed. I can't even watch the thing when it comes on cable TV because it just fails to engage me in anyway.

The first X-Men movie was the first red flag but TIH solidified that I NEVER give fanboys on the internet the benefit of the doubt when it comes to superhero movie opinions. Because the majority of them would overrate anything if it has at least one scene that they've been begging the studios for (Ie: "HULK SMASH").

Also, the music was better in Hulk. TIH's score was good, but Elfman really blew it out the water with that one.

The Incredible Hulk

I prefered Norton over Bana and Connely over Tyler.

I also loved Tim Roth's performance as Blonksy/Abomination.

I thought The Incredible Hulk was great but I don't completely dislike the Ang Lee film. I think it's alright and has a few good moments here and there but overall lacks the feel of a Hulk film and has some of the slowest pacing I've ever seen in a film in general, so bad that I can't watch the film without my mind going on a tangent many times throughout the film. I do respect it and understand what it was trying to do though and I like the stuff it used from the Peter David run.

Well, those are my two cents on this whole topic.

I didn't know this thread was still up.
As far as visuals some scenes in Hulk still blow my mind.
That scene when first comes out of the room under the sprinklers is still amazing to me.
The scene when he first charges towards the tank and when he is leaping in the desert.
It gets a little lost and rushed when it comes to the last fight scene.
The story was a little overthought it seemed as though they tried too hard to tell it.
However if we had not known the comic and had not expectations and this would have been an original concept of first introducing the character itr would had been better recieved.They should have gone with the original concept and left the pychological drama once the character was already introduced.For instance now after Avengers I could see them delving into his phyco drama and what makes him tick.If it came out now it would work because there is some already groundwork done.
Also the idea with the dad becoming that absorbing villian and all was a little hookey.
It went from deep dark seriousness to hookey.
They were better off sticking with the pace they had and had an all out war at the end with the military and robots or somthing like the game.If you want the dad to be the villian have him invent somthing to destroy him or somthing not make him a super villian it was just too much.Hulk could have been drawn out into three movies.
then you could get away with all that.
TIH to me has always looked like a video game and trust me I have tried but it just takes me out of the movie.
The story was okay but it should have been on a higher scale Hulk was weak he only seemed a tad bit stronger then the t.v. version.and you could tell it seemed to be more on a budget.In terms of scale and CGI.
In the end TIH was just...Just.
In everything CGI was Just.....Story was Just.....Acting was Just.....
It was just,JUST.
Thats all a good HBO made for T.V. movie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"