Titanic: 10 Years.

That'ssuper!

Civilian
Reaction score
It's been ten years as of today that Titanic was released in theaters back on Friday, December 19, 1997. Since little is being done to commemorate this event, except for a few youtube videos and a DVD release with little advertising, I decided to start a thread to recount what it was like seeing the film for the first time.

Since everyone was in love with the film during 1997 and 1998, and now people have betrayed it and started shunning it for the past decade, I've decided to give it respect.

You must agree this was a film which in some way touched your heart, whether it be the incredible visuals, even today they are impressive, the music, the tradegy, something would have gotten inside your chest, this is the thread to recount.

Titanic_poster.jpg

A lot of people had sex that day. :o

I remember I saw star wars for the first time that year. Best movies ever (aaaaawww yeah) What the hell's a titanic?

I was managing a movie theater that year. I still have the poster that was released the previous year that says "SUMMER", as in a summer release. Of course afterward they pushed it back and it didn't get released until December. I figure that poster will be worth something some day.

I can't believe that was Cameron's last major film...I can't wait for Avatar.

It was the first time I saw Star Wars in theaters. :yay:

Nice... I was a late starter. Got the VHS of the originals first then later saw Episode 1 at the movies, "lucas was rusty!"

Well the part where luke lost his hand... that was so shocking. I'd only heard about it but to see it... I don't cry often but this brought me very close, the poor naive bastard. :boba:

A thread to celebrate a films 10th anniversary?
Titanic of all films as well. Is that necessary?

I remember that day well it was sunny and I went with my mum and little brother. I walked in not caring and walked out exactly the same, only with a sore arse through sitting bored for 3 hours.

I remember that day well it was sunny and I went with my mum and little brother. I walked in not caring and walked out exactly the same, only with a sore arse through sitting bored for 3 hours.

Same here. I watched it after a couple months from its release, I was in no hurry to watch. Then I sat there, just wondering what the hell all the big fuss was about.

Fantastic film I thought. Really portrayed how horrifying the event actually was

I agree that it was a good film...but I also agree that it is over-rated. My least favorite Cameron flick.

From the point the ship hits the iceberg to the point it sinks completely, there were a lot of very well-done set pieces (outside of the annoying Jack and Rose of course).

The scene where the ship's string quartet starts playing "Nearer My God to Thee" for their final song before they go under was very touching because it actually happened in real life.

Uhm...

A good movie that got really overrated because of the love story of its time during release (being compared to Gone With the Wind and Cassablanca, which it ain't), but still a very good picture, albeit it def. should not have beaten LA Confidential for best picture that year.

However, it made so much money and got so overpraised that an equally unfair backlash formed for years with people (usually disgruntled guys pissed that Leo was so popular in it) despised the movie and to this day talk a lot of **** about it, as inaccurate as it being "the best movie of the year" during its release.

Ah, the price of popularity. The discovery, the praise, the overpraise, the backlash and the senesless bashing. That has surrounded the movie more than the actual content of the movie.

To lament. :rolleyes:

The second half of the film is really good. Like a historical account of the demise of the ship. And, while I understand there had to be some kind of story to drive the characters, it was way too soap operaesque for my tastes. I really didn't care if Leo or Kate froze the f**k to death.

P.S. Cameron was at the top of his game directing and I think the supporting cast was completely top notch in this iflm. I think they overshadowed the leads but Winslet and DiCaprio both gave good performances that showed a lot of depth for their age and promise, which they have both lived up to in this decade, despite what angry fanboys may say about DiCaprio.

My 2 cents.

I thought it was a pretty good movie, and I still do. I didn't see it until two months after it opened, though. If I recall correctly, it stayed in theaters well into the Spring of '98.

Fantastic film I thought. Really portrayed how horrifying the event actually was

Too bad it focused more on fictional characters instead of the real people that were on the ship. Outside of the sinking, it hardly portrayed what really went on.

10 years since craptanic came out. huh and Dicaprio still can't get that oscar he wants so badly. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Drizzle said:
If I recall correctly, it stayed in theaters well into the Spring of '98.
Yep, it wasn't until April of that year, that "Lost in Space" knocked "Titanic" off it's pedestal. In fact, many fans nicknamed the latter film "The Iceberg", due to it's effect on Cameron's picture.

Yep, it wasn't until April of that year, that "Lost in Space" knocked "Titanic" off it's pedestal. In fact, many fans nicknamed the latter film "The Iceberg", due to it's effect on Cameron's picture.
bwahahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"