Titanic: 10 Years.

10 years since craptanic came out. huh and Dicaprio still can't get that oscar he wants so badly. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

All annoying Jack/Rose crap aside, the guy's a good actor, as seen from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "The Departed".

You know what other movie came out on this day? "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" came out six years ago today. Damn, time flies.

I didn't see the movie till it came out on video a year later, thought it was horribly boring. Very overpraised and a black spot on Cameron's record in my mind, I felt nothing for any of the characters, basically couldn't wait to see them die.

All annoying Jack/Rose crap aside, the guy's a good actor, as seen from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "The Departed".

You know what other movie came out on this day? "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" came out six years ago today. Damn, time flies.
I will give you that, he can act when he has the right project behind him. I don't think Sean Connery could have saved that movie

My previous comment aside, I actually enjoy the film for the most part (the exception being the live sketching and sex scenes, due to personal convictions). All in all, I give the film an 8/10.

Too bad it focused more on fictional characters instead of the real people that were on the ship. Outside of the sinking, it hardly portrayed what really went on.

Ya think? I think they went to great pains to put the real events around a few fictional characters. I remember seeing a doc on the making of the film. There is a scene where an older man and a boy are playing with a top on the deck of the boat, and Leo climbs over the rail. That was based on a real picture. They did a side by side comparison from the film to photo...the only thing different was Leo! Everything else..the man and boy with the top, POV of the camera...it was identical! Cameron even recruited the original company that made the dishes for the ship to make the reproductions for the film. All of that stuff was put in for Titanic buffs that know the real history.
Actually, the doc was more interesting than the movie.

However, it made so much money and got so overpraised that an equally unfair backlash formed for years with people

People just hate the movie cause it made so much money and won 11 Oscars. I went to see Titanic the weekend it was release and everyone loved it. It was afterwards that the hate came in. :whatever: I still think its a good movie.

I watched about 20 minutes of it a few months ago and got bored and turned it off.

People just hate the movie cause it made so much money and won 11 Oscars. I went to see Titanic the weekend it was release and everyone loved it. It was afterwards that the hate came in. :whatever: I still think its a good movie.

Agree, its a damn good movie.

Love it or hate it Cameron created the ultimate event movie and I don't think its box office will ever be beaten.

Eventually inflation will be to the point where it will be easily beaten. We aren't there yet, but wait 10-20 years.

wow ten years

i would have been six

i still remember thinking while trying to deal with a sore ass by the end
"Why didn't rose just move over and share" :huh:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all seriousness though very well done

Eventually inflation will be to the point where it will be easily beaten. We aren't there yet, but wait 10-20 years.

Mmmmmmmm,

Many people say that when talking about Titanic but will it be the case?

I remember going to see Ghostbusters in 1984 and paying £3.00 for my ticket ... most recently I saw a movie and paid £5.50. So a rise of £2.50 in 23 years.

Titanics secret was the sheer amount of time it spent in the cinemas, it was making good money 5 months after release!

I remember going to see Ghostbusters in 1984 and paying £3.00 for my ticket ... most recently I saw a movie and paid £5.50.

Here in the States a movie ticket is like 9 bucks. I remember 4 or 5 years ago it was 7 dollars. And like 2 or 3 before that it was 5 dollars. In other words...tickets increase by two dollars every half decade or so.

Here in the States a movie ticket is like 9 bucks. I remember 4 or 5 years ago it was 7 dollars. And like 2 or 3 before that it was 5 dollars. In other words...tickets increase by two dollars every half decade or so.

9.50, ho. Tickets were 9 bucks a year ago. For the past few months it has gone up 50 cents. :cmad:

So about 8 years ago US tickets were $5 (about £2.50) ... wow, I should move to the states!

The problem is that there will come a point where the actual worth of a ticket to see a movie must reach a limit. In many UK cinemas right now to go and see a major movie at a prime evening showing can cost up to £6.50 ..... people will only pay so much before they start staying away.

For this reason and many others I still don't think Titanic will be beaten even with inflation.

The problem is that there will come a point where the actual worth of a ticket to see a movie must reach a limit.

As things become more expensive pay checks (minimum wage for example) will increase. If ten years ago you would have told me that I would pay 9.50 to see a movie I would have punched a theater manager in the face. Nowadays its fine. I would rather pay 5 bucks but its nothing to get upset about.

Now...whats REALLY expensive is the concession stand. I hate to pay 3 bucks for something I can get for 75 cents on a vending machine. I usually sneak in food. :o

i will never understand why jack and rose couldn't share the door or whatever they were floating on

it's like

Jack: hey can i have some time out of the water
Rose: Can't move frozen
Jack: c'mon i'm freezing my ass off
(Rose doesn't respond)

Darkness Falls said:
I will never understand why Jack and Rose couldn't share the door or whatever they were floating on.
Watch that scene again. Rose climbs onto the door, but when Jack follows, it sinks due to the added weight. Clearly, only one of them could use it, so Jack selflessly let Rose have it. It was only later, when Jack realized he'd probably die from the cold, that he says his final goodbyes.

Watch that scene again. Rose climbs onto the door, but when Jack follows, it sinks due to the added weight. Clearly, only one of them could use it, so Jack selflessly let Rose have it. It was only later, when Jack realized he'd probably die from the cold, that he says his final goodbyes.

The thing I never understood about the film is an unseen plothole which could have prevented that could have saved Jack. Think back to the scene where Rose is being loaded in the lifeboat, she jumps out to stay with Jack. That begins a series of events which actually harmed Jack chances at surviving. Here's how.

Now think back, if Rose had just gotten on the boat and stayed in the first place, Cal would have likely just abandoned on deck and managed to get off with the Murdock character, who he briber. I know you'll remember this. Or he would have forgotten about Jack upon getting into the collapsable which he drifted off deck later. Jack would have had been forced to the stern with the other passengers and stayed until the rest of the ship went under the water, like in the movie right?

Now, remember that Jack found the wall, not door when he and Rose are in the water with hundreds of other people. By the way it italiisized because it's the piece of wood from the grand staircase, you know in the dining room?

Look familiar?

He tells Rose where it is in the film. Now think, since he was the one to find the wall, he would have stayed on it while the rest of the people died around him. He could have waited for the only boat to come back to return and he could have been pulled from the water as Rose was.

Since both Cal, Rose, and Jack are all on different lifeboats, Rose and Jack could have reunited on Carpathia, the rescue ship, and snuck away as Rose did in the film. Anyone notice that whole gap in fate that could have been? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"