Tom Hardy and Ridley Scott team up for BBC historical thriller miniseries Taboo

Schlosser85

Civilian
Reaction score
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/tom-hardy-ridley-scott-taboo-bbc-series

Tom Hardy is set to star in a new BBC series, "Taboo," with the prolific Ridley Scott as executive producer.

The series, a historical thriller set in the early 19th century, will be eight one-hour episodes. It's created by Hardy's "Locke" director Steven Knight ("Dirty Pretty Things," "Eastern Promises").

Here's the official synopsis:

Set in 1813, TABOO follows James Keziah Delaney (Hardy), a rogue adventurer who returns from Africa with 14 ill-gotten diamonds to seek vengeance after the death of his father. Refusing to sell the family business to the East India Company, he sets out to build his own trade and shipping empire and finds himself playing a dangerous game with two warring nations, Britain and America.

For some historical context, Knight elaborates on the nature of Hardy's character:

"This man, James Delaney, is a deeply flawed and deeply troubled human being. His greatest struggle will be against the East India Company which, throughout the nineteenth century, was the equivalent of the CIA, the NSA and the biggest, baddest multi-national corporation on earth, all rolled into one self righteous, religiously motivated monolith."

"Taboo" is looking toward a January 2015 production start date. Scott's Scott Free banner and Hardy's Hardy Son & Baker are producing.

Did you miss the part where it says production isn't even starting until 2015?

It's cool that this is set in the early 19th century. So many TV shows gravitate towards the last two or three decades of that century.

I hope this show doesn't interfere too much with his work on Peaky Blinders.

I wonder where on the Jonathan Pryce ham scale his performance will be.

I wonder where on the Jonathan Pryce ham scale his performance will be.

I hope not on the scale of "Tomorrow Never Dies"

vTQhyMG.gif

Steven Knight also wrote Peaky Blinders, which is one of my favourite recent series, so hoping the quality of this shows will be similar!

I'm so glad this show is still happening. For some reason I thought it had fallen through.

Is this a mini series?

Because damn does this look interesting.

Supposed to be eight episodes.

Hardy is a co-writer with his father and Steven Knight (writer-director of Locke and creator of Peaky Blinders).

Whoa! That trailer gave me no idea what this show's about - except that James is squaring off against the East India Company - but I still feel compelled to watch it.

I read that this doesn't even air until next year. If that's the case, then why release a trailer now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"