Tom Hooper to direct movie of Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Cats'

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Gold Samurai, May 5, 2016.

1. sueb1863 Registered

Having heard some of the music, it sounds like the singing and orchestrations are fine, the big problems seem to be the changes they made to the script and the huge issue, the design of the cats. I still can't believe nobody saw those designs and said "That's not going to work."

2. WonderTwin Registered

I'm not sure that's true, though. I've seen photos of Rebel Wilson and James Cordon wearing what look like suits with tracking dots on them. Unless those aren't tracking dots?

download.jpg

3. terry78 You can do the Pac-Man

Green screen suits?

But yeah I've been checking the seating for showings over the weekend and people are still going to see it. A few have even been close to sold out, I suspect it's becoming a Rocky Horror Picture Show deal.

4. DarkKnight88 Registered

To be fair, Cats wasn’t going to be a success as a movie no matter what they did. The show just does not age well past the 1980s.

TheVileOne likes this.
  5. Blackman C'mon Son

Seeing this Wednesday. So excited

6. Gold Samurai Registered

I just can't wait till tonight's Golden Globes. Rick Gervais is going to skewer this movie.

7. samsnee Ok

8. Blackman C'mon Son

2 more days :up:

9. The Guard Registered

This. The recent revival more or less bombed.

10. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

This is probably the most bizarre movie I've seen ever. Like literally nothing made sense. But I'm glad I still watched it despite the reviews because of how bizarre it is. The slapstick comedy got me but there are a lot of unintentionally hilarious moments in this movie.

Judi Dench telling the audience that a cat is not a dog is so... At first I was like ???? But now I thought about this, this is like the best what the f movie I've seen in a long time. Its soo bad, its good. I don't know what a Jellybean cat is. The street lights are all open and there wasn't a glimpse of human except in the beginning. The two cats have magic for some reason. I don't know why they sent Jennifer Hudson into the heaven? At first maybe to fill her nine lives, but she just disappeared and the cats including Catneto were like auditioning to Judi Dench to be send into the heavens? And they sang every minute of the film.

The songs were nice though.

11. dark_b Registered

this has leaked. clips on youtube. :eek::twisted:o_O

12. TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

13. Gold Samurai Registered

Oscars "Cats" skit

VFX artists hit back at Oscars "Cats" skit

VFX Society Slams Oscar Jokes About ‘Cats,’ Says CGI ‘Will Not Compensate for a Story Told Badly’

Frankly it's kind of really insulting of James Corden and Rebel Wilson and The Academy to do that given how much over time and unpaid work went into the movie by the grunts of the VFX team because the movie had to be pushed out in time for The Oscars knowing damn well it wasn't getting a single one.

It's one thing for internet Randos to do it, it's another to parade around on stage at an event meant to celebrate the art of film in front of thousands of their peers and make jokes about them. These artists weren't paid the hundreds of thousands of dollars Rebel Wilson & James Corden were to do this film to take it on the chin and they sure as crap did much more work than them.

Just this year the company who did the VFX for Lion King & Sonic was literally forced to close when the bills they racked up paying people to do the work the studios wanted them to do outspent the money they were paid to do the work and you've got studios who don't give a crap about that.

14. CaptainWagner Not Today

I'm sorry, it's impossible for me to take seriously the VFX people having a cow over that joke. Are they the only people in Hollywood unable to take a joke at their own expense? You don't see any actors complaining when Ricky Gervais roasts them. Or, you know, the entire existence of the Razzies.

TheVileOne likes this.
  15. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

It's like me saying that the writing in Suicide Squad was terrible, and the writer's union flaming me for saying that all writers are bad.

16. TheVileOne Registered

I mean their CGI wasn't very good...