Tony Revolori is Flash Thompson

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Talion, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

He's more like the annoying troublemaker kids at school that people might beat up all the time.

2. harryoscop

harryoscop Well-Known Member

I don't know about this Flash. Revolori is a great actor & he can pull it off. But I hope Marvel haven't ruined him like the terrible description Tom gave us of his characterization. I actually read Flash's writing was inspired by Tom's own experience in the Bronx High-school he attended.

Surely, Flash's athletic background couldn't have been completely ommited? it's such an important part, it has to be in there in some capacity.

I mean, he doesn't look completely shrimpy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

Didn't he post a video of him walking through a football field when he wrapped filming? It may've easily meant nothing, but it made me think that this iteration of the Flash would retain that aspect at least.

4. Slick

Slick Yup

It seems like Flash is going to be more Draco Malfoy like. Which is kinda interesting. At least for me it is.

5. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

It was just another Breakfast Club comparison? Not sure which word I'm looking for but it was based on the scene from Breakfast Club.

6. SpideyJJ

SpideyJJ Well-Known Member

You're gonna have to hand over your lunch money to him or his father will hear about this.....

7. Neno_Kos

Neno_Kos Well-Known Member

[cringe]

8. PeterBenParker

PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

"Leave him alone."
    "Or what?"
    "Or his father will fire your father."

:oldrazz:

9. ironwez20

ironwez20 Well-Known Member

Lol one of the best lines in the film.

10. harryoscop

"What's daddy gonna do? Sue me?"

11. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Cool. Cool cool cool.

Well, Flash DOES have Daddy issues, so there is that.

I think it would be interesting to see a Flash who is smart, but his dad doesn't respect that, pushing him into "manly pursuits" instead. That could play out really well, and Revolori would totally own a strong part like that. I just hope Marvel doesn't waste his talent. He's missing out on chances at Kyle Raynor or Jaime Reyes for this.

12. ItchyWebShooter

ItchyWebShooter Spider-Signal Included

That's probably the most realistic dialogue in any Raimi film haha. Really cutting remarks that I could totally buy some *****ebag high school student saying.

13. PeterBenParker

They really had some charm, that's for sure.

14. X Knight

X Knight Hope

it would be an interesting take on Flash, but it wouldn't really feel like the character.

it would be like a Peter who really wants to be a jock, and maybe is actually good at soccer or whatever, but his Uncle and Aunt push him towards science instead.

Flash doesn't need to be smart like Peter. If everyone around Peter is smart, it makes him (Peter) less unique.

15. Dark Raven

Or like a frumpy, awkward and shy girl who wants to be a geek who is pushed into being a model by her overly-ambitious aunt, forced to dye her hair red and wear more provocative clothing etc. But then after going through that phase, she finally decides to be herself and reverts back to her frumpy self in defiance of her aunt and in acceptance of her true nature. :o

It would be like all the characters in Tangled living in denial of what they want to be but all having a dream to do the thing that no-one else expects them to:

[YT]hmtg9YDbTpI[/YT]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. Kev4000

Kev4000 Well-Known Member

17. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Cool. Cool cool cool.

It's a given that all Peter's classmates here will be at least a little smart, he's going to a special academic school. So there's really no way to get around that. At the end of the day, though, it's not his intelligence that makes him special, so this really doesn't lessen his character at all.

18. X Knight

X Knight Hope

it may not lessen his character, but it takes focus away from where the character should be.

Flash could still be a smart, preppy d-bag, but, imo, he NEEDS to be a big jock type character - one who's more physically intimidating than Peter.

There's no law that says you can't be both smart AND athletically gifted. indeed, that would just feed into Flash's "air of superiority" at school. He's tall, handsome, smart, and the star athlete who can get any girl he wants. He seems so "perfect."

Just like Liz Allen ( even though it should be MJ ) is the "perfect" girl to Peter and Ned, Flash is the guy Peter and Ned wish they were.

Of course, to add depth and layer to the character, there would have to be more to him than that. Beneath the "facade" of being Mr. Perfect, Flash feels insecure - he feels like all of this could be taken away from him in an instant ( maybe it happened to his dad or older brother or whatever ). That's why he's so "possessive" of his place at school - both academically and athletically. He perceives anything that could threaten his position/status with hostility and bullying.

19. JoeyConQueso

JoeyConQueso Part-time Mutant

I hate still feeling like whining about it but I can't get over the changes and casting they've done for Flash. It just feels like unnecessary changes to me when there was nothing wrong or dated about the original character.

20. PeterBenParker

It's not whining when it's perfectly valid. The Flash Thompson everybody knows has still yet to be explored in its fullest form yet and it's a shame they decided to radically change stuff up just for the sake of separation.

21. harryoscop

I love Revolori as an actor. He's been great in everything I've seen him in (Dope, Grand Budapest hotel etc) he's probably the best actor in the HS cast next to Tom, and he definitely has potential to breath new life into Flash. But.... Why is this character called Flash Thompson?

- He's not a jock

- He's not athletic at all, visibly shorter than Peter & skinny

- He's not even a bully. He has a friendly, competitive rivalry relationship with Peter & Holland himself said he's not a fricking bully.

What gives? The dude is not Flash in any way. Why couldn't he just be an original character (Manuel anybody) just doesn't make sense to me.

22. X Knight

X Knight Hope

I wasn't aware of that last part.

If Flash isn't even a bully in this, and more of a friendly rival, then what's the frickin' point of even using the character. :huh:

I mean, seriously. I'm this close to being done with this film. Every little bit of info that comes out has only served to make me less interested. :(

23. Dark Raven

Can't wait to see Tony Revelori take on Tom Hardy. Battle of the Venoms. :o

24. PeterBenParker

Tom said:

Makes me seem like:

Their relationship is more akin to two brothers where one of them is giving the younger bro a 'hard time' and the younger bro is just mildly annoyed by it. Flash calls him a dork and puts him on the spot at times but it's not in any way like typical Flash. Maybe the early 616 Flash (where he would just say little comments to Peter while he's with group) but that's not even the Flash people typically know and remember.

Tony described their relationship and the way Peter puts up with it is akin to rolling your eyes and shrugging it off, "Oh, Flash. :whatever:" Seems like it's more in good fun than anything else.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  25. X Knight

X Knight Hope

thanks.

well, that's not Flash then.

that's like watered-down Flash "lite" or something.