Top 10 Greatest Athletes

Lance Armstrong

batnkevlar said:
Are we talking greatest athletes in the world? Or just in America? Cuz if it's America, your athlete lists are probably spot on... but if in the world, there's some athletes you guys didn't list...

George Grieggan...
Richie McCaw...
Lote Taquiri...
Jonah Lomu...
Doug Howlett...
Joe Rockocoko...

*ten brownie points to whoever knows what the hell I'm tlaking about...*

Rugby?
That is kinda what I said in my 1st post.

Anna Kournikova, for having the strength to walk away after losing so many times.

1. Sailor Moon
2. Gogeta
3. Gokou
4. Vegeta
.....sorry, I just got 4..

terry78 said:
Anna Kournikova, for having the strength to walk away after losing so many times.

more like never winning a match...

1. Babe Ruth
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Ty Cobb
4. Michael Jordan
5. Jim Brown
6. Wayne Gretzky
7. Ted Williams
8. Willie Mays
9. Jim Thorpe
10. Gordie Howe

doih said:
Rugby?
That is kinda what I said in my 1st post.

Yeah, I know... it's a pity rugby's not as prevalent in America as it is in every other country in the world... a pity really...

Victor Von Doom said:
10. Bo Jackson (I put him at 10- because he got injured and had to suffer some bad seasons)
9. Jim Thorpe (If you don't know who he is, look him up football star, track star, a true athlete)
8. David Bekham (phenomenal)
7. Lance Armstrong
6. Wayne Gretzky
5. Tiger Woods (No golfer has done what he's done, and I doubt any ever will.)
4. Hank Aaron (He did everything that Babe Ruth did, and did it better)
3. Muhammad Ali
2. Bruce Lee (I almost put him at # 1. He's talented and as competitive as Jordan)
1. Michael Jordan (No questions asked)

I almost put Jackie Joyner Kersey on the list.

Beckham? phenominally overated would be a better way to put it.

Tiger Woods? not even the greatest golfer ever.
No Pete Sampras?

and it has to be Lance Armstrong. his cancer markers were increasing at such a rate of knots that they could tell the difference in tests taken on an hourly basis. to have that, go through the level of chemo he had to, and then become the best in the world at his sport is just something unique.
Then Jesse Owens. simply for the emotional value of what he did.
and Michael Jordan above Mohammed Ali? Ali is the most famous sportsman of all time.

joe montana is the greatest quarterback in nfl history, imo.

he's not a great athlete, but he's a great player.

also, where's pistol pete?

is bruce lee considered an athlete?

lee.gif

David Robinson
Nolan Ryan
Pete Maravich
Michael Jordan
Wayne Gretzky
Joe Montanta
Walter Payton
Hank Aaron
Will Clark
Kevin Butler

Superman20 said:
Who in your opinion are the 10 greatest athletes?

My picks would be:

10. Joe Montana
9. Tiger Woods
8. Magic Johnson
7. Wayne Gretzky
6. Barry Sanders
5. Dan Marino
4. Bill Russell
3. Babe Ruth
2. Muhammad Ali
1. Michael Jordan

I think it is very difficult to pick between Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali, Ali was the greatest boxer, but I'd have to pick Jordan as the greatest athlete because there is no other athlete that stands out as clearly as he does as the greatest player in his or her sport.

9653-9.jpg
No Jerry Rice or Wilt? :(

Victor Von Doom said:
10. Bo Jackson (I put him at 10- because he got injured and had to suffer some bad seasons)
9. Jim Thorpe (If you don't know who he is, look him up football star, track star, a true athlete)
8. David Bekham (phenomenal)
7. Lance Armstrong
6. Wayne Gretzky
5. Tiger Woods (No golfer has done what he's done, and I doubt any ever will.)
4. Hank Aaron (He did everything that Babe Ruth did, and did it better)
3. Muhammad Ali
2. Bruce Lee (I almost put him at # 1. He's talented and as competitive as Jordan)
1. Michael Jordan (No questions asked)

I almost put Jackie Joyner Kersey on the list.
thank you for been the only person to put Lance Armstrong in

See, I wanna put Shaq in because of some of the stuff he's done in the past as a mere physical presence, but he hasn't done anything impressive recently.

!. Dr. J
2. Muhammed Ali
3. Sugar Ray Robinson
4. Gretzky
5. Bill Mazerowski. Look him up. Or, Hell, watch the Jack Lemmon/Walter Mathau "Odd Couple" movie. He's in it.

Here is my take on the top 10, but i only base my opinion on players that i have seen. I'm 32, and i have never seen Jim Thorpe, Babe Ruth, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Roberto Clemente, Dick Butkus or any other of the great old time players play. So how can i give an actual truthful grade to them when my opinion is solely going to be based on others opinions, news stories and hearsay.

10. Bo Jackson - Baseball and Football cut short by a major hip injury
9. Mario Lemiux - Never had the "don't touch" protection that Gretzky did
8. Dion Sanders - The greatest corner to ever play, and i hate him, but i give props
7. Magic Johnson -
6. Barry Bonds - Even before the roids he was baseball's best
5. Barry Sanders - No back has ever had his moves, to bad he played on bad teams
4. Ray Lewis -
3. Lance Armstrong - bicycling is rough, try doing it as a sport
2. Muhammad Ali - nuff said
1. Micheal Jordan - nuff said

I have a great problem putting Qb's on an athletic list. Though great, their stats are based highly on thier ability to read defenses and hit their receivers. If others put them on their lists thats cool, but if your going to then you would have to say that Elway, Cunningham and Young are far superior athletes than Marino (who is a god in my household) or Montana.

Jackie Robinson
One of my personal heroes, Jackie had great atheletic skills enabling him to play both football and baseball. He was the first African-American to enter the National Baseball league. During his first season he easily won the batting crown, hitting .342.

More importantly than his athleticism, I believe Jackie Robinson deserves to be on this list because of his mind - Despite the personal attacks on him both verbally and physically while entering the all-white league in 1947, Jackie kept cool and level-headed. He understood peoples perception of him would affect the future of the game along with the opportunities for other African-American ballplayers.

Awsome athlete! Check out the Jackie Robinson Story on DVD (Jackie plays himself).

Roberto Clemente
For those of you who aren't familiar with Roberto Clemente, he was a Puerto Rican-born American baseball player who spent his entire career with the Pittsburgh Pirates (1955-1972). He batted .300 thirteen times and had exactly 3,000 hits before he was killed in a plane crash. He was a right fielder and was capable of throwing out a runner from his knees (unheard of before or since)! He had a lifetime average of .317 and 240 homers. I was amazed when a buddy of mine first told me about him and even more so after watching the old baseball highlights.

Check out the old-school reels on this guy. Had he not died, he might have become one of baseball's all time players. This guy had heart, skills and the mind along with the admiration from guys like Mantle DiMaggio and Mays.

Without a doubt, this guy was an all-round athlete who just happened to be playing baseball!

Michael Jordan
MJ is the best-known player in the history of pro basketball. He won the NBA's MVP award 5 times and six times led the Chicago Bulls to the championship. Although, I'm a Magic Johnson/Lakers fan - I can't disregard the place MJ has earned in professional sports.

Bo Jackson
Played professional football and Major League Baseball simultaneously, and was the first athlete named an All-Star in both sports. Winner of the 1985 Heisman Trophy and was named MVP of both the Sugar Bowl (83) and the Liberty Bowl (84). Bo was an amazing athlete and set many records all without steriods (unlike many of the chumps out there now) or any other performance drugs. Remember - Bo Knows! LOL

Wetgorilla
:wolverine

logansoldcigar said:
Beckham? phenominally overated would be a better way to put it.

Very Clever. You should be a writer.

Tiger Woods? not even the greatest golfer ever.

Yes he is.

No Pete Sampras?

Nope.

and it has to be Lance Armstrong. his cancer markers were increasing at such a rate of knots that they could tell the difference in tests taken on an hourly basis. to have that, go through the level of chemo he had to, and then become the best in the world at his sport is just something unique.
Then Jesse Owens. simply for the emotional value of what he did.

I almost put Jessie Owens in there also.

and Michael Jordan above Mohammed Ali? Ali is the most famous sportsman of all time.

I disagree. Jordan is.

And yes, Bruce Lee is an athlete. (To whomever said that.)

Peter Lafleur
Roy Hobbes
and Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez

if your going on footballers, the prat beckham should be no wear near the list, footballers that should be on the list without a second thought inculde george best and Pelé

Victor Von Doom said:
And yes, Bruce Lee is an athlete. (To whomever said that.)

No, i think you might find that Jack Nicklaus is the greatest Golfer ever.

113 tournament wins in total, including 18 majors.

Woods 43 wins, 8 majors.

Now, it may be that in the long run, he overtakes Nicklaus. Which is when Ill be quite happy to say he is the greatest Golfer ever. but until that time, he isnt.

and any list that includes David Beckham, who isnt even in the top 10 in his own sport (best player in the world? try Ronaldinho, at Barca, or Thierry Henry.), but doesnt include the greatest male tennis player ever (or in fact, Martina Navratilova, the greatest female tennis player ever) has to be considered questionable.

and Ali is the most famous sportsman ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"