• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Top-3 CBM action scenes since 2000 by studio

Sony:

1. Spider-Man vs. Dr. Octopus atop the train (Spider-Man 2)
2. Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin, ending with GG's death by glider (Spider-Man 1)
3. Spider-Man & New Goblin vs. Venom & Sandman (Spider-Man 3)
:up:

Personally, I thought the giant sandman bit kind of dumb, but the Spidey vs Venom final fight was pretty good - I liked the shout out to the source material with how Spidey beat him with the vibrating pipes.

I also thought that Harry's self-sacrifice was a nice touch, as it resolved the love triangle and all the friendship issues.
I love the nod to the source material with the Venom s Spidey fight in a building not occupied.
Giant Sandman is dumb, but he added to the joy of the spectacle.

It was better than any action scene in the TASM movies.
It's better than lots of action scenes, TASM or otherwise.

Warner Brothers:

1. Batman vs SWAT Team (The Dark Knight)
2. The Tumbler/Batpod Chase (The Dark Knight)
3. Superman saves Airplane (Superman Returns)

Fox:

1. The Church Scene (Kingsman: The Secret Service)
2. Quicksilver slow mo scene (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
3. Nightcrawler vs Secret Service (X2: X-Men United)

Sony:

1. Spider-Man vs Doc Ock Train Fight (Spider-Man 2)
2. Spider-Man and New Goblin vs Venom and Sandman (Spider-Man 3)
3. Spider-Man vs Green Gobin Final Fight (Spider-Man)

Marvel Studios:

1. The Battle of New York (The Avengers)
2. Lemurian Star Sequence (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
3. The Raid on Hydra (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Marvel

1. The Battle of New York (The Avengers)
2. The Lemurian Star (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
3. Hulk vs. Hulkbuster (The Avengers: Age of Ultron)

DC

1. The Truck Chase (The Dark Knight)
2. Batman vs. Bane Sewer Fight (The Dark Knight Returns)
3. Superman vs. General Zod, Non, and Ursa in Metropolis (Superman II)

Fox

1. X-Men vs. Hellfire Club in Cuba (X-Men: First Class)
2. The Bullet Train (The Wolverine)
3. Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstrike (X2: X-Men United)

Sony

1. Spider-Man vs. Dr. Octopus Train Fight (Spider-Man 2)
2. Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin Bridge/Warehouse Fight (Spider-Man)
3. Spider-Man vs. Dr. Octopus Bank/Building Fight (Spider-Man 2)

It didn't revolve around him. Xavier was the focal character.

1. There wasn't a Kitty Pryde in the 70s to go back in time so it couldn't do that, but it featured her to keep her apart of it.

2. Who else could've gone back? Beast was dead and the rest were either not born yet (Iceman, Rogue, New Mutants ect) or key to the events (Magneto/Xavier). Wolverine was the only character available in the seventies who was also outside of the events and this usable

You know they could have written it so that Kitty, Iceman, Rogue, etc, could have travelled back in time through another mechanism that wouldn't have relied on them being alive back then, right? Arguing that it "had" to be Wolverine is laughable.

WB

1) Superman vs Faora and Nam Ek- MOS
2) The Dark Knight Truck/Tumbler/Bat Pod chase- TDK
3) Superman saving the plane- SR

Fox

1) Nightcrawler vs Secret Service- X2
2) Cuban Mutant Crisis- FC
3) Wolverine vs Shingen- TW

Marvel

1) TWS Opening
2) Thor vs Frost Giants on Jotunheim
3) Battle of NY

Sony

1) Spiderman vs Doc Ock on train
2) Spiderman vs Doc Ock at bank
3) Spiderman vs Green Goblin final fight in Spiderman

Overall I feel the MCU has the poorest action scenes with WB having the best ones. I think the Blade movies, Hulk and the Hellboy movies have some great action as well, along with the Transformers movies.

WB

1) Superman vs Faora and Nam Ek- MOS
2) The Dark Knight Truck/Tumbler/Bat Pod chase- TDK
3) Superman saving the plane- SR

Fox

1) Nightcrawler vs Secret Service- X2
2) Cuban Mutant Crisis- FC
3) Wolverine vs Shingen- TW

Marvel

1) TWS Opening
2) Thor vs Frost Giants on Jotunheim
3) Battle of NY

Sony

1) Spiderman vs Doc Ock on train
2) Spiderman vs Doc Ock at bank
3) Spiderman vs Green Goblin final fight in Spiderman

Overall I feel the MCU has the poorest action scenes with WB having the best ones. I think the Blade movies, Hulk and the Hellboy movies have some great action as well, along with the Transformers movies.

I honestly can't remember a single great action scene from any of the Transformers movies. Half the time I can't even tell the Autobots and Deceptions apart from one another!

I think Fox has the poorest action scenes. Outside of X-2 and DOFP, and honestly with the latter, the best action scenes are the future X-Men fighting the Sentinels and Quicksilver's scene. Everything else is more about story driven. And it's funny my favorite X-Men action scenes is all in X-2.

I honestly can't remember a single great action scene from any of the Transformers movies. Half the time I can't even tell the Autobots and Deceptions apart from one another!

I never had a problem telling who's who, action is definitely the strong point of those movies and why in joy watching them.

I think Fox has the poorest action scenes. Outside of X-2 and DOFP, and honestly with the latter, the best action scenes are the future X-Men fighting the Sentinels and Quicksilver's scene. Everything else is more about story driven. And it's funny my favorite X-Men action scenes is all in X-2.

For me it's the MCU, I struggled to name 3 memorable ones. The action has slowly improved, but it's not to the level yet that other studios an provide. Characterisation is the MCU's strong point for me.

I'm a huge X-Men fan but let's be honest. What are the memorable action scenes? It's what was discussed in the other thread what bother's you in the X-Men series.

X-Men, and I like the movie, I think it's because of budget constraints? We have multiple small battles between Cyclops, Storm, Jean vs. Toad and Sabretooth. Think the best battle in that whole movie is Wolverine and Sabretooth and even that wasn't too long.

X-3 The best action scene was Magneto and the Golden Gate Bridge, the final battle was anticlimatic. I think the biggest issue is the poor choice of villains used. It should have been the X-Men vs. Phoenix and it ended up with Wolverine saving the day again.

Wolverine Origins. Sabretooth vs. Wolverine? Sabretooth and Wolverine vs. Deadpool? Nothing memorable.

X-Men: First Class - Battle of Cuba is probably the best. Good movie, just no other action scenes grabbed me.

The Wolverine - Battle on the Train is probably the best in that movie. Wolverine vs. Silver Samurai was just okay. Felt it was a bit of a letdown.

I mentioned what I liked about X-2 and DOFP.

Although, I do want to edit what I said, just because of X Series has more movies, I'd put it above Sony. Because I'm really struggling to find action scenes that I liked in Spider-Man 3 and the TASM Series.

Last edited:
I'm a huge X-Men fan but let's be honest. What are the memorable action scenes? It's what was discussed in the other thread what bother's you in the X-Men series.

X-Men, and I like the movie, I think it's because of budget constraints? We have multiple small battles between Cyclops, Storm, Jean vs. Toad and Sabretooth. Think the best battle in that whole movie is Wolverine and Sabretooth and even that wasn't too long.

X-3 The best action scene was Magneto and the Golden Gate Bridge, the final battle was anticlimatic. I think the biggest issue is the poor choice of villains used. It should have been the X-Men vs. Phoenix and it ended up with Wolverine saving the day again.

Wolverine Origins. Sabretooth vs. Wolverine? Sabretooth and Wolverine vs. Deadpool? Nothing memorable.

X-Men: First Class - Battle of Cuba is probably the best. Good movie, just no other action scenes grabbed me.

The Wolverine - Battle on the Train is probably the best in that movie. Wolverine vs. Silver Samurai was just okay. Felt it was a bit of a letdown.

Although, I do want to edit what I said, just because of X Series has more movies, I'd put it above Sony. Because I'm really struggling to find action scenes that I liked in Spider-Man 3 and the TASM Series.

X-Men doesn't have the best, but many Origin movies have poor action scenes so it's not the only one.

I thought in FC Shaw and his minions storming the CIA headquarters was really good, so thats 2 scenes in that movie that were really good. In The Wolverine I loved the train scene as you mentioned, I also loved Wolverine vs Shingen with the Yukio battle just before as well, and the ninja fight in the snow in the extended version.

X2 has a few good action scenes, as does DOFP, I also thought the final fight in Origins was pretty well done, as well as the bike chase.

When you point it out it really struck me how little action has been apart of why I like the good X-Men movies.

X-2 stands out to me and I think the most memorable action sequence in the entire franchise is Nightcrawler attacking the White House. That's an amazing scene with a very unique feel to it.

I think I need to see DoFP again since nothing other than Magneto lifting the stadium has really stuck with me (and that's definitely cool). The sentinels were faceless and had no build up in the beginning, and they were fighting only slightly less faceless mutants. Their Quicksilver is fun as a gag and a standalone scene, but he's so fast that there's really no action feel to it, it's just a comedy scene that makes everyone else in the movie seem weak.

I think the Cuba crisis scene in FC beats out DoFP imo.

Even the lesser MCU movies, I feel had good action scenes. Hulk vs. the Army and Battle of Harlem in TIC. Iron Man vs. War Machine and final battle up until the climax I felt were good. Thor Dark World I think is the poorest. But I did like the Escape from Asgard was good.

Even the lesser MCU movies, I feel had good action scenes. Hulk vs. the Army and Battle of Harlem in TIC. Iron Man vs. War Machine and final battle up until the climax I felt were good. Thor Dark World I think is the poorest. But I did like the Escape from Asgard was good.

Ah well, agree to disagree, I think the majority of MCU action have been either poor or rank average, with few standing out. The final battles in particular often disappoint. For me in the origin movies Ant Man had the best action yet it had the lowest budget.

And I think for a team based series, that X-Men has underwhelmed in terms of team battles.

And I think for a team based series, that X-Men has underwhelmed in terms of team battles.

In terms of team battles I will agree, individual action scenes have been good though IMO.

For Marvel id say:

The Battle of New York - The Avengers

Elevator Fight - Captain America: TWS (all the action scenes are amazing though)

Hallway Fight Scene - Daredevil

Honorable mentions: Suitcase and train fight in Ant-man, Nick Fury's escape and the freeway battle in TWS, Raid on Hydra base in AOU

I agree. I think the MCU and the Spider-Man franchise has had the best action. The former probably wins due to the sheer diversity of great action scenes. Great hand to hand, flying, super strength, shooting, space action, size altering, driving, groups, epic scale, etc.

There's some really cool things in X-Men too though, and I expect DC to come with some spectacular stuff next year as well.

Mjölnir;32107597 said:
I agree. I think the MCU and the Spider-Man franchise has had the best action. The former probably wins due to the sheer diversity of great action scenes. Great hand to hand, flying, super strength, shooting, space action, size altering, driving, groups, epic scale, etc.

There's some really cool things in X-Men too though, and I expect DC to come with some spectacular stuff next year as well.

Yeah and I feel that they really play up the abilities and the dynamics. Seeing cap throw his shield perfectly, deflecting Iron Man's repulsors into the chitauri, etc. It's really fun to watch and makes it feel more fresh than just regular old punches

1. Batman vs Bane, round two at city hall.
2. Prince Nuada vs the Elf King's guard in Hellboy II.
3. Iron Man vs the Mandarin, minus all the other iron man suits flying around in Iron Man 3.

Ah well, agree to disagree, I think the majority of MCU action have been either poor or rank average, with few standing out. The final battles in particular often disappoint. For me in the origin movies Ant Man had the best action yet it had the lowest budget.

I can see where you're coming from in relation to the Marvel solo movies. However, I don't see how you could have been disappointed by the final battles in either Avengers or GoTG. The Battle of New York stands as my favourite final battle scene in a CBM and the dogfight above Xandar was also awesome IMO.

I can see where you're coming from in relation to the Marvel solo movies. However, I don't see how you could have been disappointed by the final battles in either Avengers or GoTG. The Battle of New York stands as my favourite final battle scene in a CBM and the dogfight above Xandar was also awesome IMO.

Well, there is a reason I used the words majority and often rather than constantly and always. The 2 final battles you mention are probably their 2 best ones, I also liked the final battle in Thor. But other than those 3 I find the MCU final battles lacking, and that includes TWS as for me the final battle is the poorest action scene in the movie.

Totally disagree. I think TWS has one of the best final battles out of all the CBM.

Totally disagree. I think TWS has one of the best final battles out of all the CBM.

Ah well, agree to disagree again. I thought the action in the rest of movie was much better, and he final lost a lot of the gritty realism the previous action scenes had.

Wolverine's the lynch pin. Everything depends on him. He's in most of the scenes. It's his idea to bring Quicksilver into the fold to help bust out Magneto. It's his burden to convince Charles. The whole plot is perched on his shoulders. He does one thing wrong, the whole plan collapses.

Wolverines job was to set events in motion, to get Charles out of the house but he couldn't do the job for him, Charles had to move forward and take up the leadership mantle himself. Logan wasn't involved with Raven at all. The whole resolution of fixing the future was Charles getting to Raven and convincing her not to assassinate Trask, it was Charles and his journey and his convincing her that was the lynch pin.

The comics used the present as the past, where as the movie chose to use the present as the future. They didn't have to. They could have easily had Kitty's mind from 2030 or something go back to 2013's Kitty's body.

They couldn't have. They had the seventies cast in place therefore they couldn't just run with the modern day OT as main and have future versions of them. Especially since Xavier and Magneto (two of the main characters in the franchise) are quite old in the present and wouldn't be alive by the 2030s

Actually, someone involved the events makes much more sense. Not that it matters, because Wolverine heroically announces how he's the only one who can do it.

Actually they'd have no memory of their actions since theyre body would be taken over by future selves, therefore they'd not change as a person, they'd be the same as before the events of the movie. Xavier would still be in a funk wondering why people expect him to be out of it and Magneto would be wondering how he went from sitting in prison to being free with a black-out of memories.

None of this was a coincidence. It's FOX milking the Wolverine cow, because, hey, money!

Which is why the #1 billed cast member in Apocalypse. Oh wait since he's not in it at all nor was he in First Class (outside of a ten second cameo) that blows that theory to bits.

For X3 the battle between Wolverine and Juggernaut and Storm and Callisto culminating in Xaviers death was the most memorable for me.

In Origins the opening montage was awesome the rest not so much

First Class in addition to Cuba Had the awesome CIA assault with Azazel dropping men like flies and Shaw decimating agents

Speaking of...

[YT]8GxATli1wek[/YT]

But I agree the best action scenes are in X2 and X-Men Days of Future Past which IMO are amongst genre-best.

Edit: Goddamn I forgot how awesome Azazel was

Last edited:
Ah well, agree to disagree again. I thought the action in the rest of movie was much better, and he final lost a lot of the gritty realism the previous action scenes had.

I've got to agree with you here, actually. I've always felt like the final battle of WS was trying too hard to copy the Avengers, and failed in the process. The final battle was also overshadowed by the highway scene that had happened shortly before it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"