Top Gun: Maverick

What about Kilmer?

The Iceman want's to comeback but he's had health issues. Throat cancer I believe.

They can always write that into the script. They don't all have to be in top condition after 30 + years.

Now the question is: who would you like to see as the new recruits? Who could play a cocky pilot that Maverick could clash with?

Oh, and this article was released last October. Not sure how up-to-date it still is:

Top Gun 2' Will Feature Goose’s Son And It Sounds Like A Riot

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...gooses-son-and-it-sounds-like-a-riot-20171027

Top Gun 2, formally known as Top Gun: Maverick, has been in the pipeline for a while and we know that Tom Cruise's Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell is going to be back in action - sadly not the case for his wingman Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw who met his demise in the original.

However, we've now learnt that one of the characters in the sequel to the 80s flyboy classic, due out on 12 July 2019, will be Goose's son, Riot - to be played by an as yet unknown actor.

Character breakdowns released by That Hashtag Show have revealed that despite Maverick and Goose being tight pals in the last movie, Maverick's interaction with Riot will not be your bog-standard mentoring relationship - in fact , the relationship between Riot and Cruise's character will be pretty antagonistic.

The cast detail describes Riot as a 20-something guy with 'all-American good looks' who 'rode a football scholarship to an Ivy League degree'. Yeah, we've all slept through lectures, mate.

"He distrusts Maverick and dislikes what he stands for, although they have a lot of similarities," it continues. "Eventually, comes to respect Maverick and uses his techniques."

In the original 1986 film, Goose died after hitting his head when he and Maverick were forced to eject from their F-14 in a scene that still hurts. Every. Damn. Time.

It might be that Riot holds a grudge against Maverick for watching his dad die, although the character note suggests that will change as Riot is forced to eject in enemy territory and Maverick turns up to save the day.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Tom Cruise movie if he didn't get to cop off with someone. This time Maverick's love interest will come in the form of the character Penny Benjamin, a tough mum who 'has been around pilots all her life'.

Penny will be the sister of Robby 'Caspar' Benjamin, a 50-something no-BS Texan admiral who doesn't take kindly to Maverick's selfish flying style. There'll almost certainly be some insults flying between those two, so buckle up for banter.

Riot's main love interest will come in the form of Sugar, a cool crack-shot Latina pilot, while other characters expected to be part of 2019's Top Gun class include Ryan 'Kansas' Kendrick, a laid-back Southern type; the nerdy Tim 'Otter' Fletcher; the burly Kevin 'Shotgun' Garcia; and CMC Tobin 'Rowdy' Macrae, Maverick's long-suffering plane captain.

Very-long-awaited sequels have a knack for disappointment, but it looks like Top Gun: Maverick could well be amazing. "Woo! Rock and roll," as they say.

The love interest angle seems to not be in the current script according to that more recent article I posted yesterday.

Has Mission Impossible 6 has finished filming? Hopefully that means they can get to work on this soon. Wasn't it originally meant to film next month or in March?

Last edited:
I don't know how to embed Instagram photos, but Tom Cruise just posted this and I actually squealed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjbjBaRjE7H/

DegKeduXUAAWBLt

Last edited:
Color me genuinely shocked that this is really happening.

Color me genuinely shocked that this is really happening.

Me too but I'm so happy that it is. So long as it's not about Maverick falling in love with one of his recruits who is young enough to be his daughter.

Holy moly, I'm stunned. Who's directing it?

EDIT: Kosinski, hey... I have... not loved his work. But I haven't seen Only the Brave yet and hear good things.

As one of the few Tron: Legacy fans, I have no doubt he'll nail the visuals.

Holy moly, I'm stunned. Who's directing it?

EDIT: Kosinski, hey... I have... not loved his work. But I haven't seen Only the Brave yet and hear good things.

Only the Brave was one of my favorite films of last year, easily his best.

And is that a new picture or old? I can't quite tell.

I'll have to check it out.

I think the pic is new. That looks like a modern fighter in the background to me, but I could be wrong.

Just thought of this but Cruise is actually too old to serve as a pilot. The oldest was 54 before retiring, and Cruise is already 55. Maybe they waited too long to do this movie.

Being one year out is hardly an issue for a movie. And they can just play him a few years younger than he is. It's not like he can't pull it off.

Just thought of this but Cruise is actually too old to serve as a pilot. The oldest was 54 before retiring, and Cruise is already 55. Maybe they waited too long to do this movie.

I imagine he's playing an instructor and not actually an operational pilot.

They will make him younger. They won't say he's 55.

And he probably will be an instructor of some sort. But any poster or publicity shot won't look as good having him standing in a classroom instead of in uniform near a plane.

I just find it slightly humorous. Cruise doesn't seem to want to accept that he's getting older, but the longer he ignores reality the more ridiculous he's going to appear. Pretty soon he'll be approaching Roger Moore levels of ludicrousness.

They will make him younger. They won't say he's 55.

And he probably will be an instructor of some sort. But any poster or publicity shot won't look as good having him standing in a classroom instead of in uniform near a plane.

That's a good point.

I think this initial photo is to get people amped up. Top Gun is my favorite movie of all-time. I never wanted a sequel, but seeing this picture brought a huge smile to my face.

I'm just hoping the military backs this one as much as the original with all the access they gave to the F-14s and F-5s. The flying sequences were unparalleled then and I haven't seen anything like it sense.

I just find it slightly humorous. Cruise doesn't seem to want to accept that he's getting older, but the longer he ignores reality the more ridiculous he's going to appear. Pretty soon he'll be approaching Roger Moore levels of ludicrousness.

In Cruise's defense, he at least looks younger than Roger Moore did at his age. But I agree that he can't keep doing this forever. Though I'm certain Top Gun 2 won't be nearly as physically demanding as the Mission: Impossible movies.

I hope they play up his age for once. That he's slower, and can't compete with the younger pilots. That's a fascinating route to go with Maverick considering how cocky and reckless he was in his 20s. Go the Wrath of Khan in terms of aging ala Captain Kirk.

What's wrong with that? I want that to happen to him. He needs his own "A View To A Kill". :oldrazz:

:barf:

I don't need to see that, LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"