Top Gun: Maverick

Top Gun is also a lot more accessible to audiences than Mission: Impossible.

Top Gun Maverick came out nowhere for most so it was reviews and word of mouth. People based expectations based on first movie so it was followed with nostalgia also. Audience which saw original went out to see new one. First one was also bit romantic one so couples, young and old also went to check out Maverick based on that. I overall think it's anomaly.

MI will do well, but more closely to half of what Maverick did. For instance MI:Fallout did that money. Unless people suddenly jump on a Cruise board and decide they gonna check it out this are movies for different audiences, despite both being action movies.

I do think Mission: Impossible will get a bit of a boost. But it won’t approach these numbers since it’s an anomaly. But I think the next could surpass Fallout as the biggest Mission Impossible domestically by a bit. Maybe approach 300M.

I'm certain that Top Gun will be easily dethroned from its position at the Box Office by the next two upcoming Avengers films. Guaranteed

Who knows. That’s so far off at this point, and whether people take to those new characters like the previous ones. I don’t think Endgame has anything to worry about for a while, even with the next two Avengers.

i think at this point for Top Gun, it’s Black Panther and Avatar that are the questions for this year if they can dethrone it.

MI will do well, but more closely to half of what Maverick did. For instance MI:Fallout did that money. Unless people suddenly jump on a Cruise board and decide they gonna check it out this are movies for different audiences, despite both being action movies.
M:I is more action/espionage. Top Gun has action sequences here and there but it's way more character driven and is easier for audiences to follow than the M:I series.

Who knows. That’s so far off at this point, and whether people take to those new characters like the previous ones. I don’t think Endgame has anything to worry about for a while, even with the next two Avengers.

i think at this point for Top Gun, it’s Black Panther and Avatar that are the questions for this year if they can dethrone it.
I think just Avatar.

I do think Mission: Impossible will get a bit of a boost. But it won’t approach these numbers since it’s an anomaly. But I think the next could surpass Fallout as the biggest Mission Impossible domestically by a bit. Maybe approach 300M.
It's really going to depend on how good the movie is, but I think you're right; it'll get a nice bump.

I know I'm only one person, but I hadn't seen any of the M:I movies until this year, and the awesomeness of Maverick is what made me want to explore other Tom Cruise movies. Binge watched all the M:I movies, and am now very excited for Dead Reckoning next year. I'm sure there's others like me.

It's not a big mystery at to why this succeeded the way it did. It's a four quadrant crowd pleaser with very likeable characters and next level aerial action sequences.

Not to mention the love people have for the original. Some of you guys are too young to know or remember but the the original was a staple for 80's kids. It was the definition of cool.

My wife has a saying for movies like this. "It had something for everybody". She said that when we left the theater after watching Avatar. If a movie has broad appeal and also has a special hook, it's going to do well. In this case very well. I would say the original was well liked, but not exceptionally so.

I think just Avatar.
I wouldn't count out Wakanda Forever. I've heard people both online and in my personal life who've said "they never go to the movies" or "the last movie they saw was the first Black Panther" but said they'll be there for Wakanda Forever.

I wouldn't count out Wakanda Forever. I've heard people both online and in my personal life who've said "they never go to the movies" or "the last movie they saw was the first Black Panther" but said they'll be there for Wakanda Forever.
We'll see, but I don't think so. Losing Chadwick was tragic in a way so far beyond losing BP that they really can't even be compared, but I don't see it getting near the original (TG is very comparable to BP in terms of BO numbers). That being said, people may flock for a last goodbye and if the movie lives up to the original, it's possible.

Man, I got teary eyed just writing this. :csad:

That being said, people may flock for a last goodbye and if the movie lives up to the original, it's possible.

True, but it’s usually when the actor still filmed scenes as their last performance with curiosity ala Paul Walker in F7. Boseman didn’t film anything for this.

I guess it’s unprecedented. I’m trying to think of a sequel to a big movie where the main star passed away and the sequel revolved around that.

We'll see, but I don't think so. Losing Chadwick was tragic in a way so far beyond losing BP that they really can't even be compared, but I don't see it getting near the original (TG is very comparable to BP in terms of BO numbers). That being said, people may flock for a last goodbye and if the movie lives up to the original, it's possible.

That right there is the reason why I wouldn't count it out.

That right there is the reason why I wouldn't count it out.
Yeah, but the last part is a tall order. Catching lightning in a bottle is tough. EDIT: I hope they do. I'm rooting for BP:WF

Had to make my purchase from VUDU last night as soon as I saw it was available!

Just got home from work and can't wait for my 3rd overall viewing tonight.

Screenshot_20220823-183159_Vudu.jpg

Same thing happened with Top Gun: Maverick. Neighbors, friends, and family members I spoke to who hadn't been to the movies or who aren't movie goers in general, went to see it and some of them multiple times.

Finally saw this. Wow. The first one is a really good movie but this is a GREAT film. Loved every second. Cruise, Connelly, Kilmer, Teller, and Powell crushed it. Easily one of the best films of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"