• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics TPBs before Coming Home

Spider-Who?

ERMERGERD!
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find trade paper backs of the issues leading up to Amazing Spider-Man: Volume 1 Coming Home?

I'd like to read what happened and how MJ and Pete split. I have Volume 1 up tp the end of JRJR's run, then a few tpbs of Deodato's run, but I'd really like to get my hands on the issues leading up to Volume 1.

Any help?

Get 40 years of Amazing Spider-man on DVD.

That's the only way you'll be able to read those stories.

They weren't very popular during the 90s. Sales took a HUGE fall.
So no reprints in TPB.

EDIT: Sadly that's only half the story as well. (Peter Parker: Spider-man is excluded from the DVD, so alot of the stories are without endings.) But it still covers the majority of it.

If you want I can write a brief description of what happened. Those stories aren't exactly the best Spidey has to offer.

Ok. :)

During this time it was basically a Reboot era for Spider-man. This is why during the first half of JMS' run on Spider-man it was "Volume 2".

Peter (still married quit being Spider-man) and a new Spidey appears over time.
Once this new Spider-man handles a throwaway villain (that was pretty cool at least to me) called to "Shadrac". (Fiery skeleton man)

He is easily beaten and thrown high above the sky. Before this Spider-man hits the ground Peter is amongst the crowd and quickly grabs him out the air.

Unfortunately Peter quickly unmasks the new Spider-man and finds out its really a 14 year old girl named Mattie. Turns out she has powers of super strength and flight.(I'm not making this up.)

She wears some type of male body armor (when appearing as Spider-man) and got her powers from the "Gathering of five" event that Norman created before the reboot started.

Anyhoo, Spidey takes her costume and heads off to battle Shadrac. This leads to a period where Peter is often lying to Mj and having to prove that he's not really Spider-man again.

Eventually Mj finds out and this causes problems between the two. The problems escalate to the point that Mj does not even want to see Peter. (He runs into problems with security at her modeling gigs and such.)

Through out this whole time Mj is having problems with a stalker (that loves lollipops), who obviously knows about Peter's powers. (Keep in mind that he stalks her through threatening phone calls) He makes at least 3 attempts to capture Mj one of them to kill her.

NOTE: THIS IS A DISGUISE. He actually looks more like a black haired, blue eyed Peter.

So during ASM # 13. "THE BIG ONE". Peter is supposed to meet Mj at the airport to see her off. Of course him being Spidey and all leads to him missing her flight. An old man offers Mary Jane a lollipop and the plane explodes.

This was meant to be the death of Mj but if you look closely at the picture you can see the hatch busted open.

PART 2 IN A MINUTE. I'M TAKING A BREAK TO EAT LOL

Last edited:
If you continue to check this thread I'll edit it with better pictures I promise.

So this sends Peter into disbelief that she's really alive.
He often got phone calls that led to no where. One sending him to Doctor Doom's country.

and the whole stalker plot was left alone for along time.
The whole plane incident was intended to kill off Mj (at least what I hear)

But it was later retconned. If that is true.
I've seen many different things, including the identity of the stalker being retconned.
I never believed it at first, but seeing how they were obviously setting up several love interests again. (Jill Stacy (Gwen's cousin) and Black cat)

I believe them. (whoever they are lol)

Fast forward a little later. They cut to a scene that shows the stalker, and Spidey's fight with the enforces. Every time pain is enflicted on Peter the stalker feels it.

They finally reveal that Mary Jane is alive and well, albeit locked up in some guys basement.

Later the Stalker breaks down to Mj and finally talks to her. The whole time he had her she was locked in a room while he fed her (slid plates through a movable dogie door in the door)

Once she breaks down and asks him to talk to her, the stalker breaks down and confesses his origin and plans.

Since he hit puberty he had psychic powers. Tons of voices in his head bothering him and during an encounter where he was trying to commit suicide by letting debris fall on him during one of Peter's fights. Spidey saved him and this "connection" broke him free. This time he was completely immersed with Peter's life. He saw only the good. (loving parents in his aunt and uncle, and a loving wife as well) This led him to become obsessive. So instead of being so in love with Mary Jane (instead of it being her subplot like previously written.) He just wants Peter's life.

Eventually Peter uses this "Psychic link" to track him down, and finds Mj at the stalker's hide out.

In probably the dumbest moment of Peter's career as Spider-man. The stalker shuts off Peter's spider sense and uses what I like to call the "infamous headbutt of death" to knock him cold into submission even as Mary jane yells "LOOK OUT!".

This leads to a cliff hanger that concludes this whole story in Peter Parker :Spider-man.

Last edited:
awesome man, i do appreciate it. from the sounds of it, yeah, might not be too bad that they aren't in the trades; but i thank you for taking the time to fill me in, nonetheless! take your time, man. :)

awesome man, i do appreciate it. from the sounds of it, yeah, might not be too bad that they aren't in the trades; but i thank you for taking the time to fill me in, nonetheless! take your time, man. :)

After that Peter is convulsing on the floor. Mj steps in and decides to attack to Stalker with the chair. No...it might have been Peter. :o

Yes. She hit Peter to attack the Stalker.
The Stalker attacks back with his mind and sends Mj to the floor.

Peter quickly grabs Mj and takes her to the hospital.
(Which probably should of led to stories about Spidey abducting her)

Soon after he tracks the stalker to a park. After the stalker beats Peter into a pulp and says that he must of course kill him. Peter gives him the "great responsibility quote"

So than the stalker finds it necessary to commit suicide by walking off and blowing himself up. :o

Last edited:
cool. so thats where JMS and JRJR's run starts, with the "Coming Home" trade paper back?

its funny, when they reunite, MJ gives Peter a whole different reason for leaving him.

Crazy broads. :)

To answer your question JMS ignored ALOT of continuity while writing his stories.
That's why alot of fans have problems with him. But I'm getting to the conclusion of why she left Peter now. :)

In the ASM annual that follows Mj and Peter begin to reconcile.
Eventually while she is moving her stuff back into Aunt May's house. Peter and she get locked into a closet. This frightens her because it reminds her of the time she spent held captive by the stalker.

After Peter gets the door open. He calms her down. Eventually their having fun again, until Peter sees trouble on the T.V. he tells Mj he has to leave. Gets dressed as Spidey and tries to give her a kiss. She turns it down.

While he's gone Mj listens to the t.v about Spidey saving the day while she goes through their photo albums. She convinces herself that she must leave Peter because Spider-man is the problem. With him in their lives they will never really settle down. She thought it could work but she was wrong.

Later Peter returns and they go for a walk. Mj has a talk with Peter and tells him that she has to leave him. He shows her that the only thing found in the box with her personal belongings claimed after she died. (which they kept secret after all this time) was the wedding ring. This led to his disbelief of her death. (This story, like of course many others involving their relationship does not work within the new continuity)

Mj tells Peter to hold onto it for her...and yup she walks off and that sets the stage for JMS' run. It's the last issue of ASM before he took over. Hope that clears things up. :)

LOL no problem.
I really liked the story, but considering I was in elementary school and middle school at the time. I can see it's flaws now.
Besides even at the time the conclusion came out. I mean it was really underwhelming to me..... :csad:

Last edited:
you're my new favorite poster; thanks for taking all that time to post pics and stuff!

After the clone saga i stopped reading (not really due to that - really outside of the cartoon, it was the only time i had really read comics), but I began reading him again round the time of Ezekiel. I loved JMS' run and adored how he handled MJ and Peter's relationship (I'm disgusted that all his work on it was erased in OMD) and JRJR's art was the best. So I was always wondering what happened when MJ left. Now I know. Thanks again!

The concept of "everything being traded" didn't really start until the early 2000's. Thats why you don't see a lot of runs from the 90s and b4 collected, especially if they weren't great.

The concept of "everything being traded" didn't really start until the early 2000's. Thats why you don't see a lot of runs from the 90s and b4 collected, especially if they weren't great.

Bingo. :up:

you're my new favorite poster; thanks for taking all that time to post pics and stuff!

After the clone saga i stopped reading (not really due to that - really outside of the cartoon, it was the only time i had really read comics), but I began reading him again round the time of Ezekiel. I loved JMS' run and adored how he handled MJ and Peter's relationship (I'm disgusted that all his work on it was erased in OMD) and JRJR's art was the best. So I was always wondering what happened when MJ left. Now I know. Thanks again!

No problem! :yay:

I appreciate doing it anytime. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

As long as your not looking for an extensive history of the clone saga or anything! haha

Haha, nah like I said, I read (most) of the clone saga. That and an old Wizard magazine I had did a big article trying to make the Clone Saga somewhat understandable, so I'm good in that area.

I'm a bit unclear on things after Back in Black, but I've pieced things together reading the boards (while I won't buy the books now, I'm still alittle interested in whats going on, though I will mostly likely pick up 600).

Haha, nah like I said, I read (most) of the clone saga. That and an old Wizard magazine I had did a big article trying to make the Clone Saga somewhat understandable, so I'm good in that area.

I'm a bit unclear on things after Back in Black, but I've pieced things together reading the boards (while I won't buy the books now, I'm still alittle interested in whats going on, though I will mostly likely pick up 600).

You should give ASM 578-588 and ASM 592-599 a try.
I don't like the new direction, but those were all pretty good stories IMO. :)

I'd recommend the new ways to die trade too.
But I'd honestly take that comment with a grain of salt if I were you. :cwink:

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot ASM 574. A MUST READ.

Plus these stories have almost absolutely nothing to do with Peter's new social life.
You really aren't missing anything with the new cast.

Last edited:
thanks for the recommendation, I might take your word for it and check it out (ie: maybe borders still has em for me to read there).

thanks for the recommendation, I might take your word for it and check it out (ie: maybe borders still has em for me to read there).

Yeah, not all stories have been bad.

As an overall attempt to reboot the series?
I think they fell kinda short.

Not only have they not proven that making Peter single again is quintessential to the character's being.

Without spoiling anything there are too many themes that make you roll your eyes even by super hero comic standards. We're talking even more so than Clark Kent and his magic glasses. :o

These stories feel like they should have been told YEAAAAARS AND YEAAAARS ago. Not a good thing IMO. but some people love it.

The stories they're telling these days actually feel alot like the Mackie "reboot era". Very light, fun stories that really dont carry any weight. Admittedly its kinda a relief because prior to BND, the Spider-books had been depressing as hell (The Other, Sins Past, The unmasking, Back in Black, OMD).

BUT the one main problem i continue to have with these books is the portrayal of Peter Parker. The problem is that there's too many writers and artists on the book, so Peter Parker has a different look/voice every other month.I guess some people ar ecool with that, but i prefer it when there's one writer and one artist working on a character with a specific vision of that character. When JMS was writing spidey with JRjr, his stories felt like JMS was eventually taking him somewhere, that he had a roadmap planned for spidey. These days with all these writers, everyone's got their own vision of spidey that it just feels clustered and there's no specific vision planned for Spidey.

I really wished JMS had carte blanche with spidey, JMS's strength is a narrative that builds on itself seemingly endlessly untill it climaxes.

^Exactly dude, i think those are the best kinds of narratives. JMS' stories felt like he was taking the character somewhere, like he was on a journey. He's doing the same thing with Thor right now and that book ROCKS. These dyas it feels like Peter Parker is going nowhere.

Glad to hear the JMS love. I know alot of people were hating on him for the totemic angle of Spidey's powers; but I felt the stories were really good - Morlun has been the only enemy I wondered how Spidey'd beat. As I said before, his handling of MJ and Pete's marriage was top notch. And even when there was alot going on, I never felt lost; the pacing combined with JRJR's artistry made everything flow so well, unlike whats going on now. I've read a few of JRJR's new issues, and even his abilities are hampered by this 3 a month rush. And I agree; the feel of the new stories seems old; like from the early 90s, and thats not a good thing. They're trying to hard, but not in the right areas - even more reason for me not to bother with Spidey stories right now. I'll wait till they get back on track.

The stories they're telling these days actually feel alot like the Mackie "reboot era". Very light, fun stories that really dont carry any weight. Admittedly its kinda a relief because prior to BND, the Spider-books had been depressing as hell (The Other, Sins Past, The unmasking, Back in Black, OMD).

BUT the one main problem i continue to have with these books is the portrayal of Peter Parker. The problem is that there's too many writers and artists on the book, so Peter Parker has a different look/voice every other month.I guess some people ar ecool with that, but i prefer it when there's one writer and one artist working on a character with a specific vision of that character. When JMS was writing spidey with JRjr, his stories felt like JMS was eventually taking him somewhere, that he had a roadmap planned for spidey. These days with all these writers, everyone's got their own vision of spidey that it just feels clustered and there's no specific vision planned for Spidey.

That's exactly what I was saying in another thread.
I've seen someone say "different artists have different tastes" well no that's not what we're saying. We're saying it's way too noticeable and feels cluttered when their changing every month.

But some people choose to defend every last part of Brand new day.
Which I have no problem with. But comeon...be realistic.

and I didn't notice it as much before. But Brand new day is ALOT like the mackie era reboot.

• Peter starts the first issue with Spider-man missing from the public eye.
  • a spidey imposter is in his place.
  • A new supporting cast is added. (with his new job)
  • The issues were capitalized by it's titles. (VOLUME 2 #1) (BRAND NEW DAY)
  • throwaway villains (like captain power :o) are immediately put into play before using the originals.
  • several possibly love interests are created.

But now everyone loves it, go figure. It's pretty much like the Peter pimp slapping Mj in Spider-man 3. It didn't bother anyone when done by someone else.

Man....he really can't find any love can he? :csad:

Glad to hear the JMS love. I know alot of people were hating on him for the totemic angle of Spidey's powers; but I felt the stories were really good - Morlun has been the only enemy I wondered how Spidey'd beat. As I said before, his handling of MJ and Pete's marriage was top notch. And even when there was alot going on, I never felt lost; the pacing combined with JRJR's artistry made everything flow so well, unlike whats going on now. I've read a few of JRJR's new issues, and even his abilities are hampered by this 3 a month rush. And I agree; the feel of the new stories seems old; like from the early 90s, and thats not a good thing. They're trying to hard, but not in the right areas - even more reason for me not to bother with Spidey stories right now. I'll wait till they get back on track.

Yeah it's crazy.
I loved his writing. Although I'm not a big of the last half it was certainly more interesting than Brand new day. Even though I didn't like the magic totem stuff, his potrayal of Peter Parker was so spot on that it STILL drew me to the character.

I never once remember saying "peter wouldn't do that"
Until Civil war came around at least. But that wasn't his story....
Right now I'm not all to sure that the other was completely his idea.

In the last story before it fell apart. A man pretty much tells Spidey, believe what you want.
It should have just been left open.

you know it's funny. Alot of people don't realize that when JMS started on ASM, that's when Quesada had come into power.
He allowed and pushed forward ideas that "forever changes the Spidey verse" every week.

All of the bottles have been open for Spider-man since he started.

• The origin
  • The unmasking
  • Gwen Stacy
  • The marriage (Peter's romance)
  • certain people knowing who Peter is (Aunt May)

He's shaken up the core foundation of the character so hard that Spidey is broken on every side pretty much. For me at least, there is no where the character can go that we haven't seen before and anywhere else might be out of character. We all know EXACTLY how everyone would react towards his secret identity. I thought he had the tightest and most realistic secret in comics. Now that's gone.

Some people feel that the whole point of Peter being Spider-man is that no relationship can work out. Nothing can go right.

That's not true. While he shouldn't be perfectly happy, he should be entitled to some happiness. We all have been there. Telling ourselves nothing will ever work out. But eventually it does. If you allow absolutely NOTHING to go right for Peter than the book becomes even more depressing. Does anyone really want him to become the hulk?

My 1 question if I ever got to meet Quesada is, how do you entertain your core fan base?

In my opinion, you should appeal to the masses. If their are enough fans complaining to get the news strip status quo changed back...that should speak for itself.

Some people are able to look at this as an extension to the Spider-mythos. I respect that but greatly disagree with it. It doesn't build on anything.

Last edited:
Wow, Styleshift, that was an epic retelling. I agree the whole thing was a big gimmick, but I kinda like how the stalker went out. He killed himself because Peter's pain and trauma from years as Spider-Man was too much for any normal person to endure... even this lunatic. It says a lot about the kind of crap Peter's been through.

On the other hand.... kinda funny how both Mary Jane AND Aunt May's kidnappings were swept under the rug once that annual was over.

Last edited:
I really wished JMS had carte blanche with spidey, JMS's strength is a narrative that builds on itself seemingly endlessly untill it climaxes.

No way. JMS never read a Spidey story except his own ones, the origin and the "death of Gwen Stacy." His understanding of Spider-Man was limited to only stuff he had written. The whole foundation of history that past creators had contributed was pretty much ignored (or misremembered when it was referenced... like Midtown High being in the city and not Queens). Plus, all the magic totem stuff.... yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"