Tupac

D.Rex

Ninja among Dinosaurs
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend the other day and he said that a rapper could not be a musical genius and that rap is nothing but talking. I said bull**** a rapper can be great. So he says name me one. So I said Tupac. He said alright maybe I'll give you him. What do you guys think. Is Tupac a musical genius for the ways his rhymes flowed together and the message he gave. I know some of his songs were typical rap but some where also incredibly deep and inspirational. So do you guys think Tupac is a musical genius?

Yes he was very good at rapping about things that were legitimately affecting the African American community and he produced some real classic rap songs.

I like him well enough, he was a true poet and wrote some great songs.

Yet at the same time he was a very unlikeable and confrontational person and his death while sad, he brought it on himself.

If talking about *****es and hoes and shooting the five-O is being a genius then I guess so.

I appreciate him as an artist and a poet, but I don't like all that much of his stuff. This is proabably because he could be very petty and childish at times, but then again, who isn't?

deemar325 said:
I like him well enough, he was a true poet and wrote some great songs.

Yet at the same time he was a very unlikeable and confrontational person and his death while sad, he brought it on himself.

Yes he was a confrontational person. The man had a problem with just about every person he ever met. But Im basing this on just his musical talent not his personal life. Plus this attitude was part of his personality and had great influence on his rapping I think for the better.

He was very talented and one of the best at what he did but I wouldn't call him a musical genius.

Kable24 said:
If talking about *****es and hoes and shooting the five-O is being a genius then I guess so.
Actually what set him apart was that WASN'T what he rapped about. Most of his songs were about the violence being brought upon his community and the affects it had (he did mainstream stuff as well of course).

Kable24 said:

If you ever listened to any of his music at all, you'd know he talked about more than **tches and hoes.

Guy had a lot to say not all of it guns and death.

Kable24 said:

True like I said some of music was typical rap out to sell an image and make money. But some of his songs like Dear Mama, are deep and touching, something only a true musical genius can do.

D.Rex said:
Yes he was a confrontational person. The man had a problem with just about every person he ever met. But Im basing this on just his musical talent not his personal life. Plus this attitude was part of his personality and had great influence on his rapping I think for the better.

Based soley on his music, he was near genius.

I just wasn't a fan of his persona.

D.Rex said:
By and large it was the latter....people who think he rapped about b*tches and hoes probably only saw the stuff that made it to MTV.

deemar325 said:
Based soley on his music, he was near genius.

I just wasn't a fan of his persona.

Good point. I think we're on the same page here. I also think some of that was being out to sell an image. I'm not so sure if he'd be like that if you knew him on a personal level. From what I hear intellectually he was a well rounded guy. He read lots of books and was well versed in all kinds of knowledge. Things you'd never know about him from going off the stone old gangsta persona.

Attention morons and bigots!

Here's the definition of "MUSIC":

1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

Rap is MUSIC. Doesn't matter if you disagree. If you do, you are wrong.
Doesn't matter if you despise Rap. I despise Green Day, but they're still doing music...bad music, that I hate. But still music.

Rapping is not talking. It's rhythmic, percussive, "sing-songy" speech. If it requires no talent, then by all means, let's see George Bush or your Grandma rap Bombs Over Baghdad by Outkast perfectly on the first try.

D.Rex said:
Good point. I think we're on the same page here. I also think some of that was being out to sell an image. I'm not so sure if he'd be like that if you knew him on a personal level. From what I hear intellectually he was a well rounded guy. He read lots of books and was well versed in all kinds of knowledge. Things you'd never know about him from going off the stone old gangsta persona.

That's very true, he was very intellectual sadly you can't be an intellect around a bunch of thugs like Suge Knight.

Wilhelm-Scream said:

1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

Doesn't matter if you despise Rap. I despise Green Day, but they're still doing music...bad music, that I hate. But still music.

Rapping is not talking. It's rhythmic, percussive, "sing-songy" speech. If it requires no talent, then by all means, let's see George Bush or your Grandma rap Bombs Over Baghdad by Outkast perfectly on the first try.

Exactly. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not music. If that were true then for me Green Day and those other poser punk bands as well as virtually all country would not be music just annoying noise.

Wilhelm-Scream said:

who are you replying to :confused:

Wilhelm-Scream said:

nice post:up:

speaking of trying to rap...next time listen to PAC...he sounds just as if he's talking(telling a story) it just so happens to match the beat.... thats genius.... true some of the content may not be mentally stimulating..but has anyone really listened to NIRVANA?....ELVIS?..JIM MORRISON?...some of their lyrics are questionable too..... content does not exclude genius...its the ability to tell a story through music..or touch someone so they feel what you say in a lyrical tone...... cause you dont understand it...doesnt mean you should turn a deaf ear:down

Wilhelm-Scream said:

:up:

I hate when people rag on hip-hop, especially when in 50 years most black people will be done with rap and create something else and white people will have taken it over and praising the virtues of Eminem and Beastie Boys while totally forgetting and giving credit where it's due to the people who created it.

It's the same old song.

Lackey said:
who are you replying to :confused:

I was wondering that too, it didn't look like anyone was saying rap was not music.:confused:

I dont know much about Tupac.
This is what happens when you're raised amongst whitey

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"