TV Shows That Declined in Quality Due in Part to the Stars' Ego/More Direct Influence

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
For example:
http://whatculture.com/tv/4-sci-fi-franchises-that-need-to-be-rebooted.php/2

Andromeda was a troubled show from the beginning. Conceived from a mishmash of notes from Gene Roddenberry and produced by a meddlesome production company at the tail end of the ’80s – ’00s syndication renaissance, it never had an uphill struggle to be competent, never mind good. However, it had former Star Trek: Deep Space 9 writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe as a head writer, who managed to get strong corps of writers on the show and create a fairly in-depth universe bible.

Unfortunately, star and co-producer Kevin Sorbo managed to get Wolfe off the show partway through the second season, which led to an insane decline in quality. Eventually the fifth season of the show, produced primarily to hit the ideal 100 episodes for syndication, had to eschew the title ship for a good chunk of episodes to save money. After a lackluster finale, the show passed into the annals of mediocre and forgotten scifi shows from that era.

The main problem with Andromeda was that kicking Wolfe off the show also took the show’s premise with it – Andromeda’s quest to rebuild the government that collapsed while the ship and her captain were trapped near the event horizon of a black hole. With Sorbo at the helm, Andromeda wound up being the equivalent of Star Trek V – a love letter to Sorbo’s character Dylan Hunt (who was pretty much a low rent Kirk clone in those final seasons) – and a generic Trek clone to anyone who discovered it after Wolfe’s final episodes aired.

This is a closer generalization of this point:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13132743910A10019700&page=0

"I'm Also The Producer": Lead actor of your show is getting a lot of acclaim. In order to keep him on board and not jump ship for a movie career or something, more and more creative control is given to the actor at each contract negotiation. Usually they become a producer of some kind and often also writer. Suddenly the focus of your show goes from an ensemble to focus almost entirely on the lead character. Said character suddenly becomes a paragon of virtue, practically a saint, and the other characters are reduced to being weak-willed or strawmen for the lead to triumph over. Often times an exodus of crew and supporting cast that wouldn't get with the program occurs. Examples: M*A*S*H=Alan Alda, Little House on the Prairie=Michael Landon, Andromeda=Kevin Sorbo

*Not a scripted show, but just about any show that Keith Olbermann has worked on.

*Martin, if you believe the allegations about Martin Lawrence becoming erratic and abusive towards the end of its run.

*I don't know if this counts, since it didn't necessarily effect the production of the show (to the best of my knowledge), but Tina Louise (Ginger), whole attitude regarding Gilligan's Island. What's funny is that Sherwood Schwartz, the producer of Gilligan's Island also had to deal w/ a male diva in the form of Robert Reed on The Brady Bunch.

*Growing Pains when Kirk Cameron became a born again Christian and started demanding changes to the scripts/storylines (e.g. getting his on-screen girlfriend played by Julie McCullough fired because she posed for Playboy)/his character (who was previously established as being mischievous and irresponsible) that fit closer to his strict moral code.

*Last Man Standing when Tim Allen decided that he wanted to turn his show from being Home Improvement if Tim Taylor had all daughters and worked in an outdoorsman shop into a modern day All in the Family w/ his character as a "lovable" bigot.

*Moesha when Brandy and her mother got Vida Spears removed as the showrunner during Season 5. It was during this time that Ray-J (Brandy's brother and ultimately, "illegitimate half-brother" in the show's "jump the shark" moment") became a regular fixture (Dorian was pretty much the "Cousin Oliver" of the show) and Moesha morphed into a melodramatic soap opera w/ some comedic elements.

*Three's Company when Suzanne Somers started making those ridiculous demands (since she and her husband from my understanding felt that she was the main reason why the show was such a hit), which ultimately got her run out of the show (and "blackballed" from TV until She's the Sheriff).

*Any one of Cybill Shephard's TV shows based on the stories that I've heard about her allegedly being a huge female dog to work with.

*Ellen after Ellen DeGeneres' character Ellen Morgan "came out of the closet" and thus, just about every episode centered on the fact that she's gay.

*Roseanne after Roseanne Barr got more creative control (as perhaps most evident by the notorious final season).

*Sliders and Jerry O'Connell (even though the decline of that show as far back as the third season wasn't entirely his fault), who held up production of the fifth season while trying to negotiate an Executive Producer credit.

*Some would argue that the final year and a half of The Rosie O'Donnell show were heavily influenced by Rosie having a more direct influence on the content and with Rosie's public persona quickly changing.

*Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - I don't know how much creative influence Melissa Joan Hart had or received on the show, but if anything, her mother Paula, who was also an executive producer, seemed like one of the worse type of stage mothers. It's very peculiar about why Sabrina's friends never really stuck around over a long period of time (so they wouldn't potentially overshadow MJH). I also don't think it's much of a coincidence that Sabrina's longest-serving friend was played by Soleil Moon Frye, who was (and still is) her real-life best friend.

*Family Guy when (roughly around Season 7 I believe) Seth MacFarlane decided to use Brian (who speaks w/ Seth's natural voice) as an avatar/mouthpiece to spout this left-wing views. It perhaps isn't as different as Tim Allen using his character on Last Man Standing (beginning in Season 2) to put his real life Republican views or Ed Asner using Lou Grant (on the "serious" dramatic spin-off of The Mary Tyler Moore Show) to spout his own left-wing views.

*Married With Children once Amanda Bearse (Marcy Rhodes D'Arcy) got behind the camera, the whole show started to go south. For instance, the pro feminist stuff she added More to the point, all the characters started to become extremely dumb especially Al, who went from a somewhat sympathetic underdog to being a virtual cartoon character.

*Grace Under Fire due to Brett Butler's increasing paranoia over creative control of the show as well as her generally erratic behavior due to drug abuse.

Other suggestions when I took this discussion elsewhere:
*Psych. After James Roday became a producer, the show's quality really dropped. All of Lassiter's previous character development was forgotten and he went back to the one-dimensional character he was in the first season. The show's focus turned to the relationship between Roday's character and Juliette, played by Maggie Lawson, Roday's real life girlfriend. Each episode was dedicated to driving home the fact that the characters had some sort of once-in-a-lifetime love. Even the fake psychic stuff was ignored for a few episodes.

*According to some fans, Charmed started going south when actresses Holly Marie Combs and Alyssa Milano became producers. After their promotion, the 2 began systematically rejecting story ideas that they personally didn't like (i.e., the ones which didn't specifically revolve around their characters or portray them in the ways that they wanted) and elevating their characters of Piper and Phoebe to near Mary Sue proportions.

*I almost hate to say this (considering what has been happening w/ her health of late), but the whole fiasco surrounding Valerie Harper's departure from Valerie (AKA The Hogan Family):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hogan_Family#Season_2:_Harper_leaves

Then again, perhaps Valerie Harper seemed too good to be associating herself w/ the cheesy, cliched television Miller-Boyett produced back in the day anyway.

I'll also quite sure that this past thread could tie in nicely w/ this particular topic:
*Actors/Actresses That Left A Show Due To Wanting More Money

Last edited:
*Married With Children once Amanda Bearse (Marcy Rhodes D'Arcy) got behind the camera, the whole show started to go south. For instance, the pro feminist stuff she added More to the point, all the characters started to become extremely dumb especially Al, who went from a somewhat sympathetic underdog to being a virtual cartoon character.
I think most people would feel the opposite about this. Those early seasons weren't particularly memorable. Most people that love Married, love it because of how ridiculous it got.

*Last Man Standing when Tim Allen decided that he wanted to turn his show from being Home Improvement if Tim Taylor had all daughters and worked in an outdoorsman shop into a modern day All in the Family w/ his character as a "lovable" bigot.
I just started watching the first season of this on Netflix, and I don't know, I've read this before, but it seems to me like it was basically like this from the beginning. Maybe it gets more blunt as it goes on.

Last edited:
I think if you like family guy you tend to agree with the majority of Brian's political views. I agree that the dumber Al got in married with children the better the show got. I could watch him fall off the roof on a loop for the rest of my life and be happy.

I remember at the time the growing pains/ cameron battle was like the two and a half men of the 80's. It was on the gossip shows every week.

All of the behind the scenes drama on the X-Files was detrimental to it. Isolating one person is difficult, but the show rocketed into oblivion real fast.

Definitelly Charmed, it wasn't an amazing show before but it still had some potencial, then Phoebe and Piper made their oun characters the center of the universe and also made their oun character unbearable.

I think most people would feel the opposite about this. Those early seasons weren't particularly memorable. Most people that love Married, love it because of how ridiculous it got.
I admit I actually liked the show more after season 8, or as I like to call the "Bud Goatee" years; plus something had to change after they introduced Seven and got backlash from it.

Roseanne's was intentional. They wanted to end the series but the network had them under some kind of contractual obligation to keep going so they made an effort to tank the series in the finale season and it worked.

There are others where it's questionable how much it was the star's ego or influence instead of just running on fumes from a burned-out storyline (X-Files for example) but there are enough of them that it holds merit. Too many stars think because their name is first on the list they should have more say end up ruining it (Alan Alda, M*A*S*H).

I don't get the Brian from Family Guy one. They usually mock Brian for his Left-Wing views on the show. Its not like Seth MacFarlane suddenly changed the show with Brian's political views.

They mock, but more in an acknowledgement that they're in there, doesn't change many episodes from focusing on them.

AMC-The Walking Dead. Sure the show hasn't gotten horrible yet but with them constantly trying to save a penny I wonder how long before it gets there.

TheWB/Brad Kern- Charmed. Forcing Shannen Doherty out, making the show into a comedy and a place where continuity goes to die.

Does Chappelle's Show count for this? That show was hilarious, and then basically yanked off the air in the height of its popularity due to Chappelle's going crazy.

Would Scrubs count for this also? Seeing how the show ended perfectly IMO with Season 8, then ABC decided that they wanted another season with new cast members.

Does Chappelle's Show count for this? That show was hilarious, and then basically yanked off the air in the height of its popularity due to Chappelle's going crazy.

I think that's a good one actually. I don't know if it was so much Chappelle's ego, though, but it was the first popular show I can think of that went to pretty much a full stop out of nowhere due to disputes behind the scenes.

Would Scrubs count for this also? Seeing how the show ended perfectly IMO with Season 8, then ABC decided that they wanted another season with new cast members.

Maybe, pretty much the same situation that happened with Roseanne.

I have pretended that season nine never existed.

The original 90210 should count. In fighting during the first 4 seasons led to the first of many major cast changes.

In fairness about Scrubs, though, hadn't the quality kind of fizzled out by season 8 anyway? I think I got to about four and five, and I stopped watching. It wasn't so much it being bad, just not as interesting.

The original 90210 should count. In fighting during the first 4 seasons led to the first of many major cast changes.

Brenda leaving was sad but it at least gave us Prue Halliwell until she died....but S5 of 90210 with Valerie was entertaining.

Space 1999 series 2/Fred Freidberger springs to mind.

Ditto on Kern and Charmed. He didn't really get the show but then I realize my new girlfriend loves it anyway warts and all.

And a major ditto on Moesha. Ray J's presence wasn't need at all here anymore than his inclusion in Mars Attacks! & Steel

Last edited:
He was good in S3/4 until he went all Ryan Murphy on us.

I disagree about Married With Children, though I can see how some would feel that way. Season 8 was particularly crazy and that was quite possibly their highest rated Season ever. I love the first 5 Seasons, but some episodes weren't as memorable as some of the later Season's episodes.

In fairness about Scrubs, though, hadn't the quality kind of fizzled out by season 8 anyway? I think I got to about four and five, and I stopped watching. It wasn't so much it being bad, just not as interesting.

I think things got back on track during season 8. Mainly because everyone knew it was the last season, so they really put their hearts and souls into it. Had they done that 3 seasons prior, maybe we wouldn't have gotten those lackluster seasons.

Brenda leaving was sad but it at least gave us Prue Halliwell until she died....but S5 of 90210 with Valerie was entertaining.

Val was great, but once Brenda jumped ship it just sorta felt like the end of an era. Flash forward to season 10 and we have a show that's nothing like the original premise and about 4 original cast members and 1 in a special guest starring role.

I think cast members would've started jumping ship anyway, Shannens leaving/firing just started the trend for them to do it.

I disagree about Married With Children, though I can see how some would feel that way. Season 8 was particularly crazy and that was quite possibly their highest rated Season ever. I love the first 5 Seasons, but some episodes weren't as memorable as some of the later Season's episodes.

I'm fairly certain this is the main consensus about the show really. Those first few seasons weren't bad per say, but I really doubt the show would be remembered as much more than a decent sitcom had it not stepped up to the madness it produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"