TV Shows That Declined in Quality Due in Part to the Stars' Ego/More Direct Influence

AMC-The Walking Dead. Sure the show hasn't gotten horrible yet but with them constantly trying to save a penny I wonder how long before it gets there.

TheWB/Brad Kern- Charmed. Forcing Shannen Doherty out, making the show into a comedy and a place where continuity goes to die.

In fairness, Shannon Doherty as far back as her 90210 days, had a reputation of being difficult to work with.

Space 1999 series 2/Fred Freidberger springs to mind.

Since I had previously mentioned, Last Man Standing:
By the way, for those who don't know who Fred Freiberger was:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Freiberger#Negative_reputation_in_science_fiction_fandom

Freiberger has a dubious reputation in science-fiction fandom, mostly due to his involvement in the final seasons of Star Trek, The Six Million Dollar Man and Space: 1999, all of which were cancelled under his watch. This has resulted in Freiberger being given the nickname "The Series Killer" in some circles,[8] although he was also involved in the establishment of series that lasted for several seasons, such as Wild Wild West and Superboy.
Freiberger was repeatedly called in to "save" already-failing TV series such as Star Trek and Space: 1999, and tended to effect stylistic changes in an effort to do so.[citation needed] It is argued that Freiberger's involvement was sometimes instrumental in seeing otherwise doomed series be picked up for further seasons.[9] Both Nichelle Nichols and William Shatner have refused to assign any blame to Freiberger for the poorly received third season of Star Trek.[10][11] Freiberger himself took some credit for ensuring that Space: 1999 was picked up for a second season, because he had excited the series' financial backers with his proposed creative changes and the idea of introducing a new character.[3]

Now here's some insight on Tim Doyle's works on the following shows:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1828327/board/flat/222765155?d=222809732#222809732

Some people accept mediocrity, and some want the best. I has nothing to do with people just wanting to complain. They had something great and ruined it, that bothers a lot of people, and it should. After the re-castings, the show's ratings have steadily declined and a quick search of the most recent posts on their Facebook page show probably 50% are people that want them to bring back the original Kristen. There's no doubt that it was a bad decision, and it's unfortunate that pride prevents them from admitting their mistake and correcting it. It seems that people like you wouldn't care one way or the other, but they obviously have lost a lot of viewers because of bad decisions by the Producers. If you look at the showrunner, his recent track record will tell you that he's not that great at making decisions that improve shows. Better Off Ted was great and he ruined it. Breaking In was great and they ruined it. Never even heard of Aliens In America. Not one of the better seasons of Big Bang Theory. Declining ratings on Rules of Engagement. And so on. If it's two years later and the majority of messages on all your boards are regarding a stupid decision to recast someone, why not listen to the fans and fix the error? I'd bet anything that ratings would improve. Guaranteed. But, pride, arrogance, and stubbornness will make them dig in even harder and refuse to listen to the fans until this, along with more poor decisions, lead to cancellation. They are literally averaging less than half the viewers they had in season 1. That proves to me that they made a bad decision as it seems to be the most discussed aspect of the show that bothers people. It may be my opinion, but it is backed by the numbers as well.

I think that's a good one actually. I don't know if it was so much Chappelle's ego, though, but it was the first popular show I can think of that went to pretty much a full stop out of nowhere due to disputes behind the scenes.

Maybe, pretty much the same situation that happened with Roseanne.

Quite frankly, I have little respect or sympathy for Dave Chappelle at this point. He broke his contract and pretty much alienated his fan-base w/ his cry baby antics.

Alan Alda-helmed MASH was great, goddammit. :o

In fairness, Shannon Doherty as far back as her 90210 days, had a reputation of being difficult to work with.

Yeah but she didnt ruin either of the shows. The shows were ruined after she left.

I don't know if I would put her to blame completely but with her being the biggest star after Shannen left and the hottest one basically threw the show out of balance and the writers tried to make her the center. But if Spelling/Kern/WB wouldve just left well enough alone her and Shannen would've gotten over their feud and everything couldve been honky dorey.

I have pretended that season nine never existed.

Me too. After the perfect ending for season eight, I didn't even want to watch another season, even though I really enjoyed the show.

Interesting...

Again, I can only go with shows I've watched and had some insight on.

B.H. 90210 - Shannen D. thought the show was about Brenda and she was actually right because when she left...I stopped watching.

Moonlighting - Willis and Shepard hated each other, so no surprise there

Dallas - Many stars made their way on and off that show because of internal gripes and dislikes

Falcon Crest - Lamas....Lorenzo Lamas...nuff said

Bewitched - One Darin gone and another replaces him and no one blinks about it

X-Files - Duchovny wanted out...

Grey's Anatomy - no explanation needed

Bewitched had no choice since the original Darin was sick and couldnt continue on.

Greys is a great example.

Gonna have to bring Desperate Housewives into this aswell. Cherry and Nicolette....we all know he only killed her off because the two disliked each other.

With Bewitched, I wonder why they didn't just write off the change in Darrins as something magical happening to him.

It wouldve worked but I think not even bringing it up was just fine. I don't even think anyone questioned it back then.

Roseanne got sooooo many laughs out of me bringing up their changes in actresses.

With Bewitched, I wonder why they didn't just write off the change in Darrins as something magical happening to him.
It worked for Beetleborgs.

It wouldve worked but I think not even bringing it up was just fine. I don't even think anyone questioned it back then.

Roseanne got sooooo many laughs out of me bringing up their changes in actresses.
My favs were a halloween episode where Sarah Chalke shows up as guardian for some trick-or-treaters and Roseanne says "I wish I had a daughter like you". And the Disney World episode where Sarah comes in as Becky and Roseanne says "aren't you glad you came this week?".

Last edited:
Not that it really holds up anyway, but didn't Duke of Hazards have to replace the two main leads?

Seth MacFarlane's ego is huge these days and he's started using the characters in Family Guy, especially Brian, as mouthpieces for his own political views. I don't necessarily disagree with his politics. I just don't think it's particularly funny.

EDIT: not that it was ever good, but Two and a Half Men first got screwed by Charlie Sheen and then bad-mouthed by the born again twit who plays the kid.

Last edited:
Does Chappelle's Show count for this? That show was hilarious, and then basically yanked off the air in the height of its popularity due to Chappelle's going crazy.

This is a common misconception. He didn't go crazy. Have you seen the unaired filmed skits from season 3? They were awful and that's why he bailed. He decided he'd rather give up the money then be another sell-out comic who just does stuff for the paycheck.

I think most people would feel the opposite about this. Those early seasons weren't particularly memorable. Most people that love Married, love it because of how ridiculous it got.

Absolutely right. That Married became a cartoon was what made it great. Though it started to get that way by season 3 before Amanda Bearse got behind the camera so I don' think you can blame her. Besides who doesn't love No MA'AM.

Alan Alda MASH was preachy crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"