Two Weeks in a Row of Box Office Surprises!

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is still doing pretty excellent business and is soon going to pass up The Forbidden Kingdom anyway. It had less than 40% dropoff in its second weekend.

Just saying, for some movies BO isn't always about the sprint. A movie like FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL has a decent opening, but stays strong at the BO due to good word of mouth.

The kids are buying the tickets to the PG-13 movies and sneaking into the R rated movies.

That has been happening for DECADES but it hasn't affected movies that were expected to be #1 like 300 or Superbad.

That has been happening for DECADES but it hasn't affected movies that were expected to be #1 like 300 or Superbad.
Well superbad can thank Knocked Up for its success and 300 can thank Sin City for its success.

Superbad and 300 were good on their own merit I think. 300 is a bit over rated IMO but that could be because I had a bad experience watching that movie in the movie theater. lol

Superbad and 300 were good on their own merit I think. 300 is a bit over rated IMO but that could be because I had a bad experience watching that movie in the movie theater. lol
I've bought the special 2 disc edtion for 8.99 and yet to watch it. That should say something.

^ you mean Superbad or 300? They both have a 2 disc special edition I think.

Yeah, I'm tired of how people rip off from that movie and turn everything into slow motion. It was cool for the first time, but now it's over-done.

Superbad and 300 were good on their own merit I think.

What I meant was that both were R rated and opened at #1. So...Sarah Marshall and Harold & Kumar weren't affected by high school kids paying for PG-13 movies. Besides, what male is gonna buy a ticket for Baby Mama? They would just buy a Forbidden Kingdom ticket and sneak into Harold & Kumar.

What I meant was that both were R rated and opened at #1. So...Sarah Marshall and Harold & Kumar weren't affected by high school kids paying for PG-13 movies. Besides, what male is gonna buy a ticket for Baby Mama? They would just buy a Forbidden Kingdom ticket and sneak into Harold & Kumar.
The ones just trying to get into there dates pants.

Yeah, I'm tired of how people rip off from that movie and turn everything into slow motion. It was cool for the first time, but now it's over-done.
or the this is spaaaaaaaaaaaaaarta thing.

Yeah I don't think there were a lot of males who went to see Baby Mama by themselves. There were a lot of females who went to see it and probably dragged their boyfriends along.

or the this is spaaaaaaaaaaaaaarta thing.

That annoys the hell out of me! :cmad:

No, those are the ones who are ACTUALLY gonna see the movie. Not the ones sneaking into Harold and Kumar.
Okay if you say so. The parents last week brought there 3 year old to see FSM. They were making out while the kid was watching the movie.

Okay if you say so. The parents last week brought there 3 year old to see FSM. They were making out while the kid was watching the movie.

LOL great parenting right there. I remember a couple bringing their 3 year old to Batman Begins. The kid got scared and the father got irritated at the kid. :whatever:

I'd say the hype for Sarah Marshall is warranted considering it turned out to be an excellent comedy, and it's doing great word of mouth after its first weekend.

Also, some guys do like the work of Fey and Poehler, though I'm not particularly one of them.

Yeah FSM is gonna continue to do good from all the great reviews its been getting.

I'd say the hype for Sarah Marshall is warranted considering it turned out to be an excellent comedy, and it's doing great word of mouth after its first weekend.

Sarah Marshall was a great movie, but its box office results haven't been that great. It has made $35 million in two weeks. Which is fine and all but lets not forget that the summer season begins on Thursday at 8pm with Iron Man. By the end of its run it'll probably have made like 50 or 60 million dollars. Which is crap compared to 40-Year-Old Virgin which made $109 million, Knocked Up which made $148 million, and Superbad which made $121 million.

Sarah Marshall was a great movie, but its box office results haven't been that great. It has made $35 million in two weeks. Which is fine and all but lets not forget that the summer season begins on Thursday at 8pm with Iron Man. By the end of its run it'll probably have made like 50 or 60 million dollars. Which is crap compared to 40-Year-Old Virgin which made $109 million, Knocked Up which made $148 million, and Superbad which made $121 million.
You really can't compare movies. And movies are now gonna start to make less and less cause so many films are gonna be out and people don't have so much money to spend on films and you still gotta remember the downloading thing. Of people figuring why should i pay soand so dollars when i can get it for free.

40 year old virgin and Superbad came out at the end of the summer and Knocked Up came out where there was nothing really out at the time.

that's due to the oversaturation of blockbuster movies. There was a good article about this in the Wall Street Journal. There may be some movies that are excellent in quality but won't do well in the box office because there's a "big" movie coming out every week. The dvd sales may help these movies, though.

that's due to the oversaturation of blockbuster movies. There was a good article about this in the Wall Street Journal. There may be some movies that are excellent in quality but won't do well in the box office because there's a "big" movie coming out every week. The dvd sales may help these movies, though.
Thats what i'm saying. a smaller time film may be better but gets blown out of the water by a "blockbuster" with a big name or so.

And movies are now gonna start to make less and less cause so many films are gonna be out and people don't have so much money to spend on films and you still gotta remember the downloading thing.

Movies WILL make less this year cause of the recession. Just the fact that only one movie this year so far has made over $100 million says it all. This time last year we had like 3 or more. However, having a bunch of big movies in May isn't a big deal. Three of the five top grossing movies for 2007 were May releases. So I think Iron Man, Indy, and some of the others will do big business.

Thats what i'm saying. a smaller time film may be better but gets blown out of the water by a "blockbuster" with a big name or so.

I think those smaller films that are excellent in quality will eventually get noticed. It may not have a huge opening or even a decent run at the box office, but if it's good enough it will do well on dvd. And if it's Oscar worthy, it will garner enough attention for people to look it up and rent it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"