Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?

Movie was great stop hating.

lol. You talk as if you've actually SEEN this one. It covers both the male and female territories, dude. Give it a try.

and be different and actually be SEEN buying a ticket to see this movie. No one is going to look at you like you're weird or something. This is 2007!

-TNC

I'm an action movie/horror guy. Regardless at how great one thinks about this movie, it's still not my cup of tea.

His movies are geared towards black women, meterosexuals, and the gay community. Nothing against any of those groups, but i don't fall into any of the catagories. I've given 'Diaries of a Mad black Woman' a try, but couldn't make it through the first 30 minutes; sames with 'Media'..or whatever it is.....

...his movies are just not geared towards ppl like me.

I'm an action movie/horror guy. Regardless at how great one thinks about this movie, it's still not my cup of tea.

His movies are geared towards black women, meterosexuals, and the gay community. Nothing against any of those groups, but i don't fall into any of the catagories. I've given 'Diaries of a Mad black Woman' a try, but couldn't make it through the first 30 minutes; sames with 'Media'..or whatever it is.....

If this isn't the most ignorant shyt I have heard all day.:whatever:

:huh: How are they geared to metrosexuals or the gay community?

And this guy has another number 1 film wow. i would have thought a movie like we own the night would have done better.

Ok, I just came back from the film.

I give it a solid 3/5 stars. I gotta tell ya, it was slightly better than I thought it would be (and I was expecting the worst). So, maybe my low expectations has altered my perceptions (but we've all seen how having high expectations can do the opposite).

Pros:
-Solid acting and a "real-life" directing style.
-Better script than Tyler Perry's other films.
-Interesting characters and clever dialogue.

Cons:
-The various spiritual messages are heavy-handed (preachy).
-The dramatic moments were occasionally over-the-top.
-Some classic cliches and stereotypes come through.

Not much of this movie is racially motivated except for a few scenes and characters, so again, don't feel like you won't be able to connect to the situations just because you're not dark-skinned. Everyone should be able to watch this film and get the same thing out of it.

I will warn you though, if you're not into religion, I'd pass up on it because like I said, one of its biggest downfalls is the heavy-handed Christian themes. There's a lot of crying in this movie after the first hour, too. A LOT of crying. The acting is all good (even the improvisations) and everything, but after a while, it just becomes too repetitive and it really hurts the movie in the long run. What saves this movie, again, is the solid acting, the humor, and the
"real-life" style.

So, even though I couldn't POSSIBLY give this movie less than a 6/10, I'm sure that some IMDb users will attempt burn it down to the Bottom 100.

So, if you go into this movie (which I'm sure 88% of you will NOT), go in with low expectations and just TRY to enjoy yourself.

BONUS:
Trailers Shown:
This Christmas
The Eye
Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins
I Am Legend
Alvin and the Chipmunks

-TNC
I hope this trailer plays with other movies i don't have any interest in seeing this.

I thought it was pretty funny. His movies are getting better. I have to say it was a theater full of black people though and they kept talking to the screen. "You go girl:o " "He did not go there:down:!" **** and watch the movie:cmad:

If this isn't the most ignorant shyt I have heard all day.:whatever:

Call it want you want bud, it's still my opinion. And the truth can be hard to swallow sometimes. Lets face it, your not gonna see the average bunch of guys getting together and going to see one of Perrys movies, as they would to see, say 'Sin City', now will you? It's not marketed towards the average males, it's marketed toward the groups i listed above.

:huh: How are they geared to metrosexuals or the gay community?

Females are the target audience. It's geared toward the female thought process...fashion, men, relationships, etc..something the groups i mentioned are attracted to in movies.

Call it want you want bud, it's still my opinion. And the truth can be hard to swallow sometimes. Lets face it, your not gonna see the average bunch of guys getting together and going to see one of Perrys movies, as they would to see, say 'Sin City', now will you? It's not marketed towards the average males, it's marketed toward the groups i listed above.

So that automatically means it's targeted for gay audiences??? :huh:

That's the dumbest thing I've read all day. :whatever:

Females are the target audience. It's geared toward the female thought process...fashion, men, relationships, etc..something the groups i mentioned are attracted to in movies.
Other than fashion, which I don't see as a selling point in any of the commercials, it's not really metrosexually geared.
As for the gay community, I just think that's an extremely ridiculous generalization from yourself. I thought you were smarter than that.

Tyler Perry is obviously metrosexual himself.

Who else enjoys dressing up as a woman for every movie and even writing a book, from a woman's point of view.

I was actually rather opposed to tyler Perry's work at first. I'd never heard of him, but my ex-girlfriend rented "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" once, and asked me to watch it with her. So, out of loyalty (and, I admit, mild curiosity), we saw the film. The beginning was a little extreme to me, but pretty soon I was laughing my head off. Also, I loved the film's overall message, which is forgiveness. In the 2 years since then, I've probably seen "Diary" at least 6 more times. I've also seen a few of his stage plays ("Madea's Class Reunion", "I Can Do Bad All by Myself" and "Meet the Browns"). He's an incredible comedian and writer, and his characters are first-rate. I've seen both versions (play and film) of "Family Reunion"; they are both good in their own right.

As for his name seemingly appearing everywhere, I'd suggest watchng the opening titles of the "Family Reunion" film, with the commentary on. Tyler explains it, saying that when they created the opening shots, he was told each "card" had to have some text on it, to be included in the film. He also stated that his preference would've been a simple "written, produced and directed" mention for the final moment. Apparently, there's some sort of filmic requirement where opening titles are concerned. And before you go comparing that with a film like "Star Wars" remember this: Lucas left the Writer's Guild, Director's Guild, and the Motion Picture Association, when they tried to pull "Empire Strikes Back" from theaters in '80, due to the repeated crawl opening.

One last thing: Perry is a faith-believing Christian, and as such, his films often contain Biblical elements. I wouldn't call it "preachy", because its not overt, but it seems like some folks just get offended by a film with any Christian message.

Other than fashion, which I don't see as a selling point in any of the commercials, it's not really metrosexually geared.
As for the gay community, I just think that's an extremely ridiculous generalization from yourself. I thought you were smarter than that.

It's no more than a generalization than saying males 16-36 will like the movie Transformers. It's geared towards that group. There's no one movie that hollywood puts out that doesn't have a demographic it's geared towards. The groups i listed above are more than likely to go see it than other demographics. Did i say that other members outside that demographic will not see the movie? No i didn't. And will they? Of course they will, but they aren't the ones that will make Perry's movie any money at the B.O.

You guys are putting words in my mouth. You act like i'm saying it in a negative way. I'm not. I'm simply talking about targeted demograhics.

So that automatically means it's targeted for gay audiences??? :huh:

That's the dumbest thing I've read all day. :whatever:

Black gay males are one of the groups that would find this movie more appealling,that say, straight heterosexual males whether you like it or not Einstein.

Well, the dude's name sells. That is a given. His last several flicks have opened at number one, so he's doing something right.

A message from Tyler

Hello, hello, hello!

Before I get into this I just want you to know that this one may be a
little long. (smile)

These last two weeks I have been on a promotional tour for MARRIED. 9
states, 25 private screenings, several TV and radio appearances; all in
about 12 days! And let me tell you--it has taken a toll.

- I have been told that since I'm not in a dress this movie wouldn't
work.

- I have been called a racist (among other things) because there are no
other races represented in this film (that's not something that I ever
think about...I just want to tell a good story).

- I have been lied to, tricked, deceived.
There was one reporter, who I was told was coming from New York to do a
favorable piece. She sat in my office and smiled and asked me all
kinds of questions. When the article came out it was all out of context and
all about how my movies are the worst thing that have ever happened to
Black people and that I am doing nothing but modern day step-and-fetch it,
and that I'm just trying to get rich. I was shocked and quite upset by the
trickery. Not only by her but also the things that were said about this
movie in print were so awful. Several Hollywood trades didn't even
mention that MARRIED was a contender for number one. They thought that the
number one would be George Clooney's movie or Mark Walbrurg's movie.

Now I had never ever read any of this stuff in the past, but for some
reason I felt lead to read it this time. The venom and disdain for
what I do was apparent. And speaking of venom, what they did to Janet was
unacceptable. Janet, who was under no obligation at all to promote
this movie, sat with me while I was doing a round of TV interviews. Half
way through the three hours of sitting in the same spot she was attacked by
a eporter on a Sacramento morning show who only wanted to talk about the
Super Bowl incident.

Now, I made it perfectly clear before we went live on the air that I
wasn't talking about the Super Bowl or Janet's family. We had less than
5 minuets so I wanted to keep it positive and focus on the movie. But he
didn't want to keep it positive. I had to maintain my composure because
we were live on the air. I didn't let her speak. I kept jumping in because
it was just so unfair to her. I have not seen Justin Timberlake attacked
like that. I wasn't going to let them do that to her. Believe me when I tell
you--Janet worked so hard on this film. She deserved more respect from
this man than that! We both did.

In the mist of all of this I was fighting trying to get more screens
because every other movie that opens with a track record like mine have
not had to deal with fighting for screens. Most of the movies of my
counterparts open on at least 3,000 screens. MARRIED was given 2,000.
Needless to say I was exhausted and mentally drained. So, by this time
it was last Thursday and I just had no more to give. So, when I started to
write that email (about the movie and for you to please check your
tickets and so on) all that I could think was, "Tyler don't let these people
get you down. As a matter of fact, speak a word of encouragement to the
people that have been there for you and let that be that!"

Every time I'm overwhelmed by negative I just have to remember how good
God has been to me. And as I was thinking about all of this all I
could hear was LIVE YOUR DREAM BOY! LIVE YOUR DREAM!!

I wrote to you about dreams because I was just in a place of realizing
that I had done all that I could do and the movie was in God's hands,
so I just wanted to encourage somebody. After I sent that email to you I was
reading your responses on the message board and, well, you don't know
what you did for me. Here I was thinking that I was encouraging you and then
you turned around and encouraged me! That's why I thank God for you and
your messages.

But little did I know how much more was to come...Jesus!!!

So, now cut to Friday. . .Dear GOD!!!

I decided to go to the movie and just relax. I was trying to buy
tickets online so I tried the 7 o'clock show. It was sold out. I then tried the
8. It was sold out. Then the 9. It, too, was sold out! So I thought, "I
need to call the theater. Maybe they'll save me a seat since I know some of
the folks that are in this movie." (smile)

After the movie started I was brought into the back of the theater, and
no sooner than I sat down I realized why I was having such a battle. I
then realized why there was such an attack. As I looked at the faces of the
people in this theater laughing and crying I got it. I got it! I had a
feeling that this movie was special, but I didn't know how special. I
could literally see husbands and wives coming together. I could see
people letting go of past hurts. And I could feel forgiveness in the air. I
enjoyed watching your faces while you watched the movie. Between the
tears in my eyes and the watching of your faces I didn't get see much of the
movie.

And then I got home and went to the message board and you all confirmed
in words all that I was feeling in that theater. So, with all of that
said I want to say to you, thank you. Thank you for crowding into those
theaters. Thank for dealing with the headaches. Thank you for fighting your way
across town. Thank you for showing up. Thank you for the number one
movie in America.

You did that and believe me--all of the ones that I mentioned at the
top of this email are shaking their heads wondering why their weapons
didn't prosper.

Truly Grateful,

Tyler Perry

P.S. I guess Judah will have to find a loving family somewhere else....
:-)

Well, the dude's name sells. That is a given. His last several flicks have opened at number one, so he's doing something right.

Lots of movies open at #1, so that isn't a strong point at all. It's how much it falls that determines it's possible B.O. longetivity. And gkokujin, what exactly was the point of that whiny little letter from Tyler Perry? lol

Lots of movies open at #1, so that isn't a strong point at all. It's how much it falls that determines it's possible B.O. longetivity. And gkokujin, what exactly was the point of that whiny little letter from Tyler Perry? lol

His movies do decent, always open at #1 but don't have very good legs because every black woman in the hood who didn't see it opening weekend will bootleg it, home skillet.:cwink:

so a movie like "I think i love my wife" which is alot better then perry's film. with chris rock can't even make number one at the BO, but a crap film like this hits number 1?...wow black movie goers do have a bad taste.

His movies do decent, always open at #1 but don't have very good legs because every black woman in the hood who didn't see it opening weekend will bootleg it, home skillet.:cwink:
That's how my mom does it. Then she loans the bootleg to my grandma.

Lots of movies open at #1, so that isn't a strong point at all. It's how much it falls that determines it's possible B.O. longetivity.

Well, look at how his other movies have done total:

Diary of a Mad Black Woman: Budget: $5.5 million. Domestic gross: $50.6 million

Medea's Family Reunion: Budget: $6 million. Domestic gross: $63 million

He's had 2 movies make back an estimated 10x their budget, so his films do have the longevity with their audience--and the movies are made such a small amount of money that they make it back quickly. I'm not sure Daddy's Little Girls did as well, it only made $31 million...but if the budget was as low as the other two movies, it probably wound up making a proft as well.

I can't imagine Why Did I Get Married cost that much to make, if it did $25 million this weekend, it's probably already made it's money back, so even if it has a big drop next weekend it really won't matter.

so a movie like "I think i love my wife" which is alot better then perry's film. with chris rock can't even make number one at the BO, but a crap film like this hits number 1?...wow black movie goers do have a bad taste.

I think I love my Wife was one of the biggest loads of s*** I've ever seen. I'd rather rub handfuls of your skite in my eyes than see that POS again.

I think I love my Wife was one of the biggest loads of s*** I've ever seen. I'd rather rub handfuls of your skite in my eyes than see that POS again.

then get ready for my skite then.:o

that movie was good and better then perry's pos.

yall act like this cat is Michael Bay.

This is a black man making VERY successful black movies and everyone is pissed about it.

Let this man do what he does, his movies are derrogatory towards anyone, they promote values, ethics and morals,(sometimes) and they are reaching their core target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"