Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?

It's no more than a generalization than saying males 16-36 will like the movie Transformers. It's geared towards that group. There's no one movie that hollywood puts out that doesn't have a demographic it's geared towards. The groups i listed above are more than likely to go see it than other demographics. Did i say that other members outside that demographic will not see the movie? No i didn't. And will they? Of course they will, but they aren't the ones that will make Perry's movie any money at the B.O.

You guys are putting words in my mouth. You act like i'm saying it in a negative way. I'm not. I'm simply talking about targeted demograhics.
I still don't see how this movie is geared toward the metro and gay audience.
Black gay males are one of the groups that would find this movie more appealling,that say, straight heterosexual males whether you like it or not Einstein.
This is either a paradox or a reconfirmation.:o:whatever::cwink:
yall act like this cat is Michael Bay.
This is a black man making VERY successful black movies and everyone is pissed about it.
Who's pissed? :huh:

Look at gkokujin's profile and that explains his tantrum. He seems like the type that if you criticize a person of color WITHOUT REGARD to their color, they get all mad and start crying racism.

It's funny because he brings up Michael Bay, a white director who is the source of MUCH derision among movie buffs. Yet we criticize a different director similarly who happens to be black and suddenly its about race.

so a movie like "I think i love my wife" which is alot better then perry's film. with chris rock can't even make number one at the BO, but a crap film like this hits number 1?...wow black movie goers do have a bad taste.
I Think I Love My Wife was okay but Why Did I Get Married was better. The ending to ITILMW was crazy and made little sense anyway.

At least Tyler Perry is doing more for the black filmmaking community than that hack Tim Story. I'll give him that.

So, let's count. Who here has seen this movie already?

-TNC

Haven't seen it yet but then again I'm not criticizing it or criticizing Tyler Perry.

I actually really liked "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and I'd pay to see this movie.

Look at gkokujin's profile and that explains his tantrum. He seems like the type that if you criticize a person of color WITHOUT REGARD to their color, they get all mad and start crying racism.

It's funny because he brings up Michael Bay, a white director who is the source of MUCH derision among movie buffs. Yet we criticize a different director similarly who happens to be black and suddenly its about race.

LOL...and they say black folks are conspiracy theorists.

so a movie like "I think i love my wife" which is alot better then perry's film. with chris rock can't even make number one at the BO, but a crap film like this hits number 1?...wow black movie goers do have a bad taste.

First...ITILMW wasn't good. Chris Rock doesn't make good movies.

Second..you can't be so silly as to think ALL black people like Perry or that ONLY black people like Perry.

But it's interesting how easy it is for people to dislike something just cuz it's "too black"

C'mon man... you are posting on a comic book message board so you already knew that lol.

In my opinion Tyler Perry probably makes his movies with predominantly black casts, because that's the audience he's aiming for first. I'm a white, single, 27-year-old male, and I like his stuff. I may not necessarily be the target demographic, but I honestly don't think that makes him or his work inherently racist.

A wise man once said, "You wanna know how to get rid of racism? Quit telling your kids they're black or white. Lose your color, but never your culture." I like that, and it sums up the general "race debate" rather well. People hang on to racism because they were instructed to as children, either verbally or behaviorally. The sooner those things stop, the sooner racism will fade away.

In my opinion Tyler Perry probably makes his movies with predominantly black casts, because that's the audience he's aiming for first. I'm a white, single, 27-year-old male, and I like his stuff. I may not necessarily be the target demographic, but I honestly don't think that makes him or his work inherently racist.

A wise man once said, "You wanna know how to get rid of racism? Quit telling your kids they're black or white. Lose your color, but never your culture." I like that, and it sums up the general "race debate" rather well. People hang on to racism because they were instructed to as children, either verbally or behaviorally. The sooner those things stop, the sooner racism will fade away.

i love you man.

That's great in theory, but the problem is that there are cultures that are too embedded with their own race and the idea of race itself. I did an experiment and looked at some of the names on this forum for example. You have BlackBatman, BlackSuperman, BlackSpiderman, etc. but you don't see anyone named White Blade or White Shaft or anything equally lame. And then some people make it so obvious what their race is (their profiles, sigs, etc.) while most just don't make that a part of the perception at all. Whether you're white or black or whatever, if you're raised with such a dominance or importance on your race, that's the type of thing that happens; race becomes a constant issue! We're supposed to ignore race and see the person but some people, for various reasons, make that simply impossible.

You think white kids are raised colorblind? Come on now. I don't buy the argument that white people are suddenly all innocents concerning the race thing and black people are the only ones concerned about it. We may be more vocal, but at least you know where you stand when we're loudmouths about it. I trust the racist that tells me so to my face than the one that pretends he's my buddy.

Who said anything about being innocent? No one did. I said that whites are less oriented and concerned about race, and I think that is true entirely.

Look at black music and black comedy. Look at Tyler Perry's movies, just for example. All are great examples of how race is a dominant issue. You don't see white comedians standing around making their whole sets about race. You don't see movies about the white "experience". You don't see white singers whining about his brother that was locked up in jail by a black man.

I am not condemning the level of dominance of race issues in culture, I am simply admitting a difference between races. Whites and blacks as a seperate race and culture have different levels of concern and in your own words 'vocalization' regarding race. Whites simply do not talk about race nearly as much as blacks.

this movie was great.
i highly recommend this flick!

Who said anything about being innocent? No one did. I said that whites are less oriented and concerned about race, and I think that is true entirely.

Look at black music and black comedy. Look at Tyler Perry's movies, just for example. All are great examples of how race is a dominant issue. You don't see white comedians standing around making their whole sets about race. You don't see movies about the white "experience". You don't see white singers whining about his brother that was locked up in jail by a black man.

I am not condemning the level of dominance of race issues in culture, I am simply admitting a difference between races. Whites and blacks as a seperate race and culture have different levels of concern and in your own words 'vocalization' regarding race. Whites simply do not talk about race nearly as much as blacks.

If they are less concerned it's because they like to pretend race isn't an issue even though it always has been in America.

As far as movies about "the white experience"...they are tons of movies with all white casts. If that's okay then movies with all black casts are okay too.

thats because "amerikkka" IS the "white experience".
SOME OF US complain about it because it still goes on and still affects us daily.

OF COURSE you're not gonna talk about it because it doesn't affect you the same way.

You seem to speak from the perspective of the so-called "white privilege"

thats because "amerikkka" IS the "white experience".
SOME OF US complain about it because it still goes on and still affects us daily.

:whatever: Yeah, all us white folks are ****ing members of the KKK now.

OF COURSE you're not gonna talk about it because it doesn't affect you the same way.

You seem to speak from the perspective of the so-called "white privilege"

I agree that it still goes on here and there. SolidSnake's point is still true though. It's funny when minorities want equality(a lot don't seem to know what that truly means) yet they constantly bring up issues of color. Instead of dropping it and trying to help get rid of that color barrier it's always used as the guilt card. That's definetly not helping the fight for equality at all.

I can only speak for myself on this kind of thing, so please don't take my comments as all-inclusive...

As a white man, I may not be as vocal about racial issues, but that doesn't inherently mean I'm not concerned about it. Many white folks (especially in earlier generations) were sadly raised to think of all other races as the enemy. It didn't matter whether they were black, Chinese, Japanese, Romanian, whatever...many white folks were raised to despise them, be it in word or action.

The truth is that children often pick up lots of traits very early, be they positive or negative. If little Bobby sees his father making negative comments about blacks his whole life (and no one instructs him otherwise), then it's likely he'll grow up with a racial demeanor as well, even if it's only partial.

As for myself, I grew up in a constantly-bickering family, and a few of them were quite racist. I'd be lying if I said I don't harbor some the consequences. I'm all for integration, because to me, racism at its core is just foolishness. However, I must confess, a few things still bug me (interacial marriage is just one example). I don't hate people of any other race, but I can't deny a feeling of nervousness still comes over me at times.

FigmanJ said:
It's funny when minorities want equality(a lot don't seem to know what that truly means) yet they constantly bring up issues of color. Instead of dropping it and trying to help get rid of that color barrier it's always used as the guilt card. That's definetly not helping the fight for equality at all.
Exactly; when was the last time anyone heard of white citizens bringing up the "race card" all the time?

If they are less concerned it's because they like to pretend race isn't an issue even though it always has been in America.

As far as movies about "the white experience"...they are tons of movies with all white casts. If that's okay then movies with all black casts are okay too.

You really didn't get anything I said. And having a non-diverse cast is different from a movie about the experience of that race. Anyone knows that.
thats because "amerikkka" IS the "white experience".SOME OF US complain about it because it still goes on and still affects us daily.OF COURSE you're not gonna talk about it because it doesn't affect you the same way.You seem to speak from the perspective of the so-called "white privilege"
First, it's spelled "America". Try it, it isn't hard to do.

Secondly, apparently I am talking about because I am on this thread. :whatever:

Third, my race has NOTHING to do with my status. Don't act like you know me because you don't. I've been living on my own since I was before 20, never took any money from anyone, always paid my bills, and take full responsibility for my own actions. Yes, I was raised pretty well, but I grew up in a middle class household that sometimes dipped into poor status. What I've done with my life is no different than what anyone can do, and anyone that says otherwise is making excuses and/or feeling sorry for themselves. In fact, I could have done more but I tend to be lazy and not think about the future as well as I should.

It's funny because gkokujin applauded a post that encouraged color blindness yet he has "angry black man" in his profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WolverineHunt01
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"