Uncharted

I think Wahlberg could've been a fine "young" Sully if anyone bothered to direct him. I still think Wahlberg is a good actor, but he lives and dies by his director. I know you can say that about a lot of actors but Wahlberg for sure. If it's Scorsese, Peter Berg, David O Russell, Adam McKay and a few others he's good. Other than that it's a toss up tho

I guess I'm getting a lot of Tomb Raider reboot vibes from the whole thing, even down to the way it's being advertised, which opened to 23M. That's why I think it'll be somewhere around there. But who knows.
Im not getting any Tomb Raider vibes from the marketing. The only TR vibes are just general standard Uncharted-Tomb Raider comparisons. From the trailers they look like very different movies

Comparing the marketing, at least Uncharted looks "fun". Uncharted has jokes in the marketing, bickering that's passed off as banter, and some big set pieces and money shots that I can see lending itself to a higher OW than TR. The money shot from the TR trailers was Lara jumping across a downed airplane wing. That's not as grand as the flying pirate ship or cargo plane bits from the Uncharted trailers.

Also I think Wahlberg and Holland are a bigger draw than Vikander. And also there's the whole male driven vs female starring action movie thing. But then again, with COVID idk. Im also not sure which one will actually be better

Last edited:
I think Wahlberg could've been a fine "young" Sully if anyone bothered to direct him. I still think Wahlberg is a good actor, but he lives and dies by his director. I know you can say that about a lot of actors but Wahlberg for sure. If it's Scorsese, Peter Berg, David O Russell, Adam McKay and a few others he's good. Other than that it's a toss up tho
The Departed has my favorite performance of his and he even got an Oscar nomination for that, but still...playing an a-hole from Boston probably wasn't too much of an acting stretch for Wahlberg. :o

Maybe I'm wrong and Wahlberg is actually fine as Sully, but they at least could have given him the mustache for the whole damn movie.

Im not getting any Tomb Raider vibes from the marketing. The only TR vibes are just general standard Uncharted-Tomb Raider comparisons. From the trailers they look like very different movies

Comparing the marketing, at least Uncharted looks "fun". Uncharted has jokes in the marketing, bickering that's passed off as banter, and some big set pieces and money shots that I can see lending itself to a higher OW than TR. The money shot from the TR trailers was Lara jumping across a downed airplane wing. That's not as grand as the flying pirate ship or cargo plane bits from the Uncharted trailers.

Also I think Wahlberg and Holland are a bigger draw than Vikander. And also there's the whole male driven vs female starring action movie thing. But then again, with COVID idk. Im also not sure which one will actually be better

I liked Tomb Raider but from what little I've seen of this film, I don't really see any comparisons.

I'm not expecting Uncharted to be a good adaptation of the games but as a standard, action-adventure film? Looks fun

I liked Tomb Raider but from what little I've seen of this film, I don't really see any comparisons.

I'm not expecting Uncharted to be a good adaptation of the games but as a standard, action-adventure film? Looks fun
Nothing wrong with FUN!
Agreeing basically.

UNCHARTED - 3 TV SPOT - PORTUGAL DUBBED- 4K UHD ( NEW SCENES )

Not that I know anything about the games (because I don't, have never played them personally), but doesn't Mark Wahlberg seem like a better choice to play Holland's character? The casting of Holland just seems weird in this case.
I thought this too, almost as if they felt they needed to appease both age groups.. Wharlberg is the OG, Holland is the newbie.

I honestly felt this movie was another 9 months away when is aw the trailers, it looked unfinished.

Surely some reviews will be due this week isn't this out in the 11th in the UK?

Starting with 44% on RT.

Seems about right :funny:

This had "flop" written all over it the moment they casted Tom Holland as Nathan.

I guess I will be seeing Death on the Nile this weekend instead.

Sounds about right. I just saw it's only 95 minutes so that was a sure sign there

Is 95 minutes a sign a movie is going to be bad to some?
As long as it's not some epic story I don't see the problem with a 90 min runtime at least on a surface level

Is 95 minutes a sign a movie is going to be bad to some?
As long as it's not some epic story I don't see the problem with a 90 min runtime at least on a surface level

It sure is.

If you plan on adapting a 40+ hour game franchise and cram bits of pieces from it in the film, 95 mins simply is not enough of a runtime.

Eh Uncharted isn't that deep. I can see someone making a good 95 minute movie of the Uhcharted franchise. Gameplay time doesn't really translate to an actual film runtime. I wouldn't necessarily relate them

In terms of adventure movies similar to the Uncharted franchise Raiders was only 1h45m.

If they can do adventure films like Raiders, Romancing the Stone, The Rundown can all be done around 90-105 mins; Uncharted, in theory, would be fine.Not saying this version of Uncharted would be good, but hearing that an adaptation of Uncharted is 90 mins doesn't worry me. It's not like the story of Uncharted is like Lord of the Rings

The game's stories are not that intricate

These days a 90 minute runtime for a supposed blockbuster doesn't indicate there's a compelling, tight script being used for the film. Everything shown so far falls right in line with a rushed cash in.

Starting with 44% on RT.

Seems about right :funny:

This had "flop" written all over it the moment they casted Tom Holland as Nathan.

I guess I will be seeing Death on the Nile this weekend instead.
Yup. I'm not shocked at the reviews honestly. I'm a big fan of the games, but this is a no from me. I'll wait till it's available to rent lol.

These days a 90 minute runtime for a supposed blockbuster doesn't indicate there's a compelling, tight script being used for the film. Everything shown so far falls right in line with a rushed cash in.
DOn't think that's true at all.
And again it depends on the franchise/story/source and Uncharted story doesn't need a longer runtime imo

Idk. Uncharted is a pretty simple story. Not that deep and intricate. It seems that in theory a 90 minute Uncharted movie is nothing to worry about. Again, in theory.

EDIT: And I'm not saying this movie is gonna be good or that i'll like it. I've said since the announcement that I think this will be trash. I'm just saying a 90 minute Uncharted movie doesn't worry me because a) the Uncharted story isn't that deep to need a longer runtime b) Good amount of good adventure movies are around 95 mins

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"