The Amazing Spider-Man "unresolved things" speculation

In conclusion to my thoughts, I am completely okay with an origin change. I'm sorta glad they didn't have the changed origin explained in this movie. It would give the sequels more climaxes. Sequels are always the best chance to explain things.

The reason I didn't like Raimi's series is that it didn't have any continuity. They jumped from a story to another.

I'm going to do my best to organize and explain my thoughts here...

I dislike when superheroes are made by accident. The one way it works is as a way for readers to relate. "Oh, he got bit by a spider/blasted by radiation/fell into a pit of chemicals? So can I!" Now I understand Spider-Man was one of the original superhero accidents, but the countless others throughout the years have taken away from this novelty. And now, quite frankly, its overdone and it also takes away from Peter being special. For instance, what if Flash had been bit or Gwen or the janitor? It just wouldn't be the same story. I prefer heroes who make themselves, Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, even Banner's accident derived from his own super genius. I like the idea of making Peter's blood/DNA special. I just don't like his dad being an irresponsible father or scientist. That's why I like this explanation:

I think that Richard used his DNA to make the cross species process, but something happened and he decided against continuing it. Peter being his son and having half his genetics, was able to survive the cross Species Spider-Bite because of this.

And I could also handle the "he did it to protect Peter" as if maybe the Parker family has a similar disease to Osborn, so Richard had to inject a serum to save them. At which point the spider venom altered his DNA.

Honestly, I think they've stumbled upon something pretty neat with this origin backstory. I have yet to come across this kind of explanation in other Spider-Man mediums so I'm curious to see what they do with it.

Last edited:
I'm going to do my best to organize and explain my thoughts here...

I dislike superheroes made by accident. The one way it works is as a way for readers to relate. "Oh, he got bit by a spider/blasted by radiation/fell into a pit of chemicals? So can I!" Now I understand Spider-Man was one of the original superhero accidents, but the countless others throughout the years have taken away from this novelty. And now, quite frankly, its overdone and it also takes away from Peter being special. For instance, what if Flash had been bit or Gwen or the janitor? It just wouldn't be the same story. I like the idea of making Peter's blood/DNA special. I just don't like his dad being an irresponsible father or scientist. That's why I like this explanation:

Because the story of Spider-Man is a metaphor for coming of age. The idea is that Peter Parker is just a loser who gets bitter by a Spider and gains all of these powers. Naturally his first thought isn't "I'm going to go be a superhero" but "Hey I'm going to go make some money, and I'm going to make myself happy", but time and time again he is reminded that with this great power comes a great responsibility.

The idea is actually that yes, had the same accident happened to Flash or to Gwen or the Janitor it would be the same. That having these powers is both a gift and a curse, and that it burdens him with responsibilities he never asked for.

I think it should still be an accident, but given the story in AMS there should be some kind of explanation why it happened to him, out of everyone.

The reason I didn't like Raimi's series is that it didn't have any continuity. They jumped from a story to another.
umm "Harry´s Revenge","Peter´s struggle if he really wants to be spiderman","Peter can´t be with MJ"

? No?

The second movie picked up naturally where the first one left off. By the end of the first movie Peter learned that he had to give up what he wanted in order to do the right thing, Harry was miserable because he never got to make his father proud before he died, and Mary Jane has just realized Peter was Spider-Man. Peters story takes the next step to where he can't draw the line between making sacrifices in his life for whats right and acceptable luxuries, he's almost repenting more than he's trying to be a hero and it overwhelms him. Harry is increasingly losing his sanity using Spider-Man as an embodiment of why his father never loved him. Mary Jane is trying to move on from Spider-Man/Peter because she doesn't understand why he won't be with her and she's deeply in denial.

Spider-Man 3 wasn't as smooth a transition but the first two didn't just jump as you've said several times.

Because the story of Spider-Man is a metaphor for coming of age. The idea is that Peter Parker is just a loser who gets bitter by a Spider and gains all of these powers. Naturally his first thought isn't "I'm going to go be a superhero" but "Hey I'm going to go make some money, and I'm going to make myself happy", but time and time again he is reminded that with this great power comes a great responsibility.

The idea is actually that yes, had the same accident happened to Flash or to Gwen or the Janitor it would be the same. That having these powers is both a gift and a curse, and that it burdens him with responsibilities he never asked for.

I think it should still be an accident, but given the story in AMS there should be some kind of explanation why it happened to him, out of everyone.

I very much agree with you, that is the point of Spider-Man, that's why I was struggling with my own thoughts there. But I think Spider-Man is a complex enough mythos to manage both. He didn't choose to have powers, but he chose to be a hero. But there can still be an explanation of why it's him and no one else. That was what I was trying to get at. :up:

I very much agree with you, that is the point of Spider-Man, that's why I was struggling with my own thoughts there. But I think Spider-Man is a complex enough mythos to manage both. He didn't choose to have powers, but he chose to be a hero. But there can still be an explanation of why it's him and no one else. That was what I was trying to get at. :up:
:up:
don´t know if Garfield was acting at Comic-Con but when he talked about spidey it sounded real, i think he gets spiderman

Yes, this is what I'm talking about! I'm liking these theories. If you think about it a lot, the origin change with Peter's DNA being altered makes a lot of sense!

THANKS GUYS, YOU ALL GOT ME PUMPED FOR THE SEQUEL!!!!

Yes, this is what I'm talking about! I'm liking these theories. If you think about it a lot, the origin change with Peter's DNA being altered makes a lot of sense!

THANKS GUYS, YOU ALL GOT ME PUMPED FOR THE SEQUEL!!!!

woot! thats my goal. Spidey's gonna beat the crap out of Captain America and X-Men in 2014!

okay, yeah i agree, especially with the direction the franchize is going.

woot! thats my goal. Spidey's gonna beat the crap out of Captain America and X-Men in 2014!

Captain America was the weakest of the Marvel films IMO. Incredible Hulk at least was an espionage thriller and had some humorously bad dialogue "It could make you...an ABOMINATION!" But Cap really had no character development, he was the same perfect guy through the whole movie and skinny sickly steve just looks like Golem.

As for X-Men, I think people lost faith after Wolverine, we need a break for awhile before they can come back to being what they once were no matter how good First Class is.

then, theres always Ninja Turtles that summer :wow:

lol. I wonder if they'll even still make that movie. I personally don't know a single person who would pay to see it at this point.

and GotG is a few months away. no matter anyones opinion about its potential box office numbers, they will hardly be considered each other's competitors.

But, I digress, this thread is about unresolved things. Heres another question, does anyone think the Burglar has any more significance than just Uncle Ben's killer? Will he be Sandman? Will he be Felicia Hardy's father? Will he work for Kingpin?

They seemed to give him quite a bit of focus at one point in the film.

This made me think of what Ben's saying at the end of the movie... "You've been living with so many unresolved things." *shot of Ben's killer's wanted poster, picture of Peter's parents*... I don't think that was a coincidence.

Haha, me too! They showed that stuff & the line was said at the same time.
Plus it had a pic of Uncle Ben too, but surely that's resolved lol

But, I digress, this thread is about unresolved things. Heres another question, does anyone think the Burglar has any more significance than just Uncle Ben's killer? Will he be Sandman? Will he be Felicia Hardy's father? Will he work for Kingpin?

They seemed to give him quite a bit of focus at one point in the film.

Personally I think Peters going to accidentally do something that leads to his death. Making him learn even though someone does something horrible you can't play judge and jurry.

Personally I think Peters going to accidentally do something that leads to his death. Making him learn even though someone does something horrible you can't play judge and jurry.

I don't necessarily like Peter killing someone, but I definitely like that because of what it means for the trilogy. If Peter TKO's the burglar, and then in the third film finally learns restraint and leaves Goblin alive (even after murdering Gwen), wow thatd be impactful. :hrt:

The burglar will most likely be what he's supposed to be in this and that is just the burglar. But if we see Peter take on some crimeboss early on in the second film when he stumbles upon the star tattoo guy, I think I'd be okay with that.

About Peter's father & his work.. I don't see anyone discussing the studio's previous intentions (maybe I'm just missing the conversation), but they seem important to this discussion..

It is clear they are pulling from the Ultimate storyline in regards to his father. With all these similarities AND the studio's intense demand of Venom in Spider-Man 3, I think it is safe to assume ASM (and most likely ASM2) will be leading up to a well done Venom in ASM3.

About Peter's father & his work.. I don't see anyone discussing the studio's previous intentions (maybe I'm just missing the conversation), but they seem important to this discussion..

It is clear they are pulling from the Ultimate storyline in regards to his father. With all these similarities AND the studio's intense demand of Venom in Spider-Man 3, I think it is safe to assume ASM (and most likely ASM2) will be leading up to a well done Venom in ASM3.

Yeah I said something about this earlier, especially with the studio talking about "making a venom spinoff".

I have said the exact same thing before as well. While 616 cartoon/game based Venom could be awesome, I hope for someone like Mysterio. But I think they're going for the ultimate Venom in ASM3. Especially when you take into consideration how fans were upset about Venom's little screen time in SM3.

I'd be perfectly fine with no more symbiote story lines. It doesn't need to go there, at all. Spidey has an enormous rogue gallery, one of the biggest, and a plethora of cool story lines. Let's have some fresh villains get involved.

I'd be perfectly fine with no more symbiote story lines. It doesn't need to go there, at all. Spidey has an enormous rogue gallery, one of the biggest, and a plethora of cool story lines. Let's have some fresh villains get involved.

Thats one reason I really don't think they're saving the Green Goblin to be Spider-Mans final villain. It's not like Batman and the Joker where they're constantly in a struggle with one another, and it just goes on and on through the years. Norman was thought dead for over two decades. With any of these characters you could really take their personalities and make a great story.

That being said personally I'm thinking the villains are going to be:

AMS: Lizard
AMS II: Green Goblin/ Chameleon
AMS III: Either Doc Ock or The Jackal/ and Venom

Anything can be good if it has a well done story attached to it but the symbiote story line is overdone. I'm tired of it quite frankly. GG would be awesome and it looks as if they're headed in that direction anyway so I fully expect to see him revealed at some point, let's just hope it isn't the hulked out Ultimate version.

But enough with the damn symbiotes. I don't care if it was done crappy in SM3 or not...if you want a good version of Venom/symbiote go watch TSSM.

Mysterio. Electro. Shocker. Mr. Negative. Chameleon. Scorpion. Vulture. Tombstone. To name just a few of the villains that they could use and imo are much better choices than Venom.

Anything can be good if it has a well done story attached to it but the symbiote story line is overdone. I'm tired of it quite frankly. GG would be awesome and it looks as if they're headed in that direction anyway so I fully expect to see him revealed at some point, let's just hope it isn't the hulked out Ultimate version.

But enough with the damn symbiotes. I don't care if it was done crappy in SM3 or not...if you want a good version of Venom/symbiote go watch TSSM.

Mysterio. Electro. Shocker. Mr. Negative. Chameleon. Scorpion. Vulture. Tombstone. To name just a few of the villains that they could use and imo are much better choices than Venom.

Personally I'd like to see Electro, Black Cat, and Miles Warren be the antagonists of the third movie, but i doubt it'll happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"