The Dark Knight * UPDATE - Academy Will Consider TDK Score

[A]

Avenger
Reaction score
The score for "The Dark Knight" has been disqualified by the executive committee of the Academy music branch.

Formal letters to that effect are expected to go out this week to composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, who collaborated on the music.

Their previous collaboration, on "Batman Begins," was similarly disqualified in 2005.

Sources inside the committee said that the big issue was the fact that five names were listed as composers on the music cue sheet, the official studio document that specifies every piece of music (along with its duration and copyright owner) in the film.

Zimmer said, in an interview with Variety prior to this week's Acad action, that listing multiple names on the cue sheet was a way of financially rewarding parts of the music team who helped make the overall work successful. (Performing-rights societies like ASCAP and BMI use the cue sheet to distribute royalties to composers.)

Zimmer, Howard and the other three individuals -- music editor Alex Gibson, ambient music designer Mel Wesson and composer Lorne Balfe -- reportedly signed an affidavit stating that the score was primarily the work of Zimmer and Howard.

That apparently wasn't enough for the majority of the committee, which was also supplied with documentation indicating that more than 60%, but less than 70%, of the score was credited to Zimmer and Howard.

The "Dark Knight" score -- and the whole issue of multiple-composer collaboration, which is on the rise in Hollywood these days -- has occupied about four hours of discussion over the past two executive committee meetings.

Some members sided with Zimmer and Howard; citing the originality and cutting-edge nature of the music, they urged others to keep the "Dark Knight" score eligible despite the cue-sheet issue.

Both Zimmer and Howard declined comment on the ruling. Both are seven-time nominees; Zimmer won for "The Lion King."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995767.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564

stupid stupid stupid stupid thing ! Its so sad .. if the TDK SCORE is disqualified ... what about the other nomination ? To us you're just a freak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

PLEASE NOMINATION FOR LEDGER !!!!!

Well, it's still not as unfair as Jonny Greenwood's 'There Will Be Blood' score being disqualified over a technicality.

I thought it was already well-known they wouldn't make it...

That they wouldn't qualify is what I meant.

stupid stupid stupid stupid thing ! Its so sad .. if the TDK SCORE is disqualified ... what about the other nomination ? To us you're just a freak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

PLEASE NOMINATION FOR LEDGER !!!!!
ADHD much?

I'm not surprised. I'm really expecting no Oscars from the academy. They don't really know good film making when they see it to be honest. The OT never won anything for it's acting/story/direction and yet LOTR did.

.....spare me.

Watch Iron Man get nominated and win a ton. (Not that it's a bad movie, just not as deserving IMO.)

Screw the Academy. I don't care what they think to begin with.

- Jow

^ Iron Man? Forgeddit.

At very best a Jack Sparrow-esque, 'hey we're still down with da kids' nom for Downey but that's a very long shot.

I thought the Oscars was all about appreciating good films... and ALL the aspects involved in them.

Jesis... they are so anal ! I'd rather let Simon Cowell do the judging.

It's 'Best Score'... not 'Best individual composer'!!

The same thing happened with Batman Begins. Hmm, I guess Zimmer and Howard don't care that much about getting the oscars, which is the right attitude to have. Who cares!! As long as they enjoyed the work that they put in, that's all that it matters. and got a good paycheck.

I thought the Oscars was all about appreciating good films... and ALL the aspects involved in them.

:up:

What is the qualification? It has to be one person playing a piano in his garage??? This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. If it sounds good, nominate it. They should disqualify the movie as well because 400 people worked on it and the limit is 399 people. So silly.

Get a time machine, travel back in time, and tell that to George Lucas in the late 70's / early 80's. Say what you want about the PT, but Lucas deserves his 40 acres and a mule from the academy.

- Jow

The Academy is a joke. Whatever...

It is a joke and so are their rules for qualifications. The whole organization is disgustingly political. It makes me wonder whether or not their is some conspiracy against TDK. The Academy will ground them on stupid technicalities because they don't want a "superhero" film winning big oscar awards.

Grrrrrrrrr......

This just shows how much jackass's the academy really are.

Kudos at least to Zimmer & Howard for sharing the wealth.

Agreed. What does it matter how many people it took bring a great score together, if it's great, it's great and should be recognized. So dumb.

I sadly get the feeling that the academy is going to come up with some bull**** excuse for not giving TDK best film/best actor/director/etc. They'll probably throw the movie a bone with like cinematography or something. But thats their problem. If they dont give TDK any of the bigger nominations, I highly doubt that people will take it seriously at all.

Why is anyone surprised/pissed about this? They had had absolutely no chance any way.

Why is anyone surprised/pissed about this? They had had absolutely no chance any way.
Well, it's not about winning, I would agree that they wouldn't win. I would've liked to have seen them make the preliminaries AT LEAST. If they made it to the nomination list, even better.

-TNC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"