The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Are they really caring for the box office figures now? Thought it’s all about streaming now.

Anyways in the theater I went to in New Zealand 4:15pm show on a second weekend Sunday afternoon, I would say felt like a crowd size that would make Winter Soldier/Godzilla numbers pre pandemic ie 200:600-700M

But studios need to start learning that R CBM films either give you amazing numbers or terrible numbers, no middle ground. Since streaming is big now, they could always show the PG version and R version in both theater and streaming, why do you want to alienate kids and grandparents if your product is not a sure fire hit especially your last R film was BOP? Again my wife and kid would have joined me to watch Harley if it’s not rated R

That's what happens when you force such a nonsensical, arbitrary release strategy to bolster your bad streaming service that had a terrible, failed launch.

At least Disney had the sense to charge people extra for watching their movies on streaming, offering this free to subscribers was/is moronic.

Whoa now, HBO Max in of itself is a GREAT streaming service. The content and selection easily rivals Netflix its just that, yes, they've been botching the marketing and promoting of it.

The launch and rollout were still terrible. Also, HBO Max is a terrible name for the service.

A sequel to TSS might not happen, but spin off like Secret Six might have a chance, with lower budget and without R rating.

I’d be all for a Secret Six series with Catman, Deadshot, Ragdoll and others.

The launch and rollout were still terrible. Also, HBO Max is a terrible name for the service.
What I also find odd about HBO MaX is plenty of movies are leaving the platform like Space Jam 2. Now why is that especially movies owned by Wb itself?

As for the name, they should have went with the basic WB+.

What I also find odd about HBO MaX is plenty of movies are leaving the platform like Space Jam 2. Now why is that especially movies owned by Wb itself?

As for the name, they should have went with the basic WB+.

They keep a movie on Max for 30 days, then remove it so they can do a pvod release on other platforms. After some time they put it back on Max.

What's terrible about it? The name isn't the problem and the content isn't the problem. It's poorly marketed AND it had an extremely limited rollout. One of the big differences between HBO Max and other streaming services is that it has extremely limited availability outside of the USA. So not only are they failing to capture the attention/interest of their primary market, but they've also limited their potential customer base as a whole. They're dropping the ball hard.

What's terrible about it? The name isn't the problem and the content isn't the problem. It's poorly marketed AND it had an extremely limited rollout. One of the big differences between HBO Max and other streaming services is that it has extremely limited availability outside of the USA. So not only are they failing to capture the attention/interest of their primary market, but they've also limited their potential customer base as a whole. They're dropping the ball hard.

It's not really an HBO service. When I think HBO, I don't think of all the things they are trying to promote.

Naming the app when there were like 20 other different mobile versions of HBO before this app launched are all part of bad marketing.

A sequel to TSS might not happen, but spin off like Secret Six might have a chance, with lower budget and without R rating.

I wonder how angry the Secret Six fans would be, if the movie version of the Six centered on the survivors of TSS. . .

I don't have HBO MaX in my country but we still have a HBO Go in which these newer films are available to stream.

Did the previous HBO go/HBO Now subscribers in America had to unsubscribe first before they signed up to HBO MaX? I was under impression it only had a name change (similar to CBS All Access/Paramount+) and customers didn't need to sign up again if they already had a Hbo app before.

How is HBO branding bad?

Using HBO as the name of your "something for everyone" streaming service devalues what had been THE brand for high quality television programming and confuses viewers who subscribed to one of the other HBO branded streaming services or premium channels. WB Max would have worked better IMO.

They really should have used Wb for the name. Some would think Hbo MaX is just for Hbo originals, instead of the entire WB company.

Don't forget the terrible UI. They have gotten so many complaints about it, they have promised to update it in 2022.

On the box office. GvK and Space Jam faced the same release strategy. Both did better, and in the case of GvK a lot better. The Delta variant isn't helping, but for whatever reason this movie hasn't caught general audience attention. While the first movie was very cringe to comic book movie fans, it had something about it's advertising that worked for the GA. This movie probably looks "goofy" to the GA and the advertising did not help.

The irony is that apart from critics and hardcore fans, the general audience didn't fell in love with this movie, WB will have second thoughts about whether to give Gunn a completely free hand and 185 million, because what means these 90% on RT if they didn't make any money out of this.

Say what you want about the original movie, but the trailers showed a movie with some stakes, Suicide Squad vs witch and the Joker, in the TSS trailer we just saw a lot of silly characters doing silly things, not very exciting for GA.

i didn't like the original SS at all but it had the very first live action Harley, new Joker, and Will Smith.

The original kinda grew on me, my initial feels was indifference, cause I could tell it was either rushed or chopped up. But afterwhile I grew to like it I guess. I still think Gunn going the R-rated route was the right direction tho. I've always pictured SS as a gritty, action, thriller with highstakes and essentric characters. Gunn just tried to split the difference I think, and it didn't work.

The original kinda grew on me, my initial feels was indifference, cause I could tell it was either rushed or chopped up. But afterwhile I grew to like it I guess. I still think Gunn going the R-rated route was the right direction tho. I've always pictured SS as a gritty, action, thriller with highstakes and essentric characters. Gunn just tried to split the difference I think, and it didn't work.

I legit enjoy SS 2016 despite the fact that its clearly a debacle if a film. Each time I rewatch it i like it more and more. It has enjoyable redeeming aspects to it. But there was still so much wasted potential.

Shang-Chi made in 2 days what SS made in its entire run. I get HBO Max biting into its box-office but even that was below MK in terms of viewership.

It sucks because, even though I like Shang-Chi, I thought SS was a better movie.

I'm usually hard on DC/WB, but they delivered a damn good product that the audience mercilessly rejected.

Yeah makes me wonder how well it would have done pre-Covid. Better than it has but clearly audiences aren’t connecting with it because word of mouth hasn’t been great.

It has a 7,4 on IMDB and an 82% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. It may not be great but it's pretty good.

Massive budget.

R-Rating.

Confusing branding.

I think all 3 were a big hurdle the film would have struggled with even in usual circumstances. Once you add in the pandemic and its streaming release, the film was doomed. The 2016 film burnt audiences once, so they're not going to take the risk again, not when they can watch it at home for 'free'.

And let's not forget people didn't embrace Birds of Prey either, which had its similarities with this one. It only made 200 million and that was pre-pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"