The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'The Suicide Squad' started by psylockolussus, Aug 5, 2021.

?

Worldwide gross?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2021.
  1. Below 250 million

70.0%
  2. 250 to 300 million

30.0%
  3. 300 to 350 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 350 to 400 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 400 to 450 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Above 450 million

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

August Arrives With James Gunn’s ‘The Suicide Squad’ - Box Office Mojo

2. Detective Conan Registered

I think the opening weekend will likely be between the 25-35 million range.

3. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

4. Detective Conan Registered

5. Moncton Registered

This film just never had much buzz, the trailer views were very low. I think the audience got their Suicide Squad fill from the first film and were very turned off.

Blue42 and CadeSkywalker28 like this.
  6. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Lol there's no way a movie like this could cost $85 million. The actors salaries already take up a good portion of it.

CadeSkywalker28 likes this.
  7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

A shame this one didn’t come first.

KaijuDude1992 and SomeOldGuy like this.
  8. DlAMONDZ Registered

I said it back when BOP flopped but WB needs to get some actual continuity going. These reboots aren't cutting it anymore. The MCU changed the game

9. Moncton Registered

WB has to get better at anticipating what the mainstream audience wants, rather than thinking that just having edgy films where characters drop f-bimbs or do gory stuff is going to draw audiences in. No one asked for BOP, no one wanted another Suicide Squad. Especially when the trailers for these films were not funny at all.

10. emielaen Registered

The “no one asked for this” argument is so ****ty and boring lol

Aquaman and Joker go against both arguments of needing some some heavy continuity, or giving people “what they ask for”. But even then, they’re not abandoning either. They’ll be alright lol

11. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I'd even go as far to say DC's current approach is far more refreshing honestly. Don't have to worry about every movie dropping easter eggs everywhere to build up a future film or have another superhero piggy backing on a solo characters movie. Individual stories need to return and I'm glad DC is doing that.

12. Comicbookguy339 Registered

It's weird seeing this narrative that nobody was really looking forward to this movie pop up now considering that the fandom went nuts when Warner grabbed Gunn to direct the sequel/reboot. Some are also arguing that the original's negative critical reception is now affecting the sequel's box office but I think that the problem is that Warner waited 5 years to do another one when a sequel should have been out around 2018.

13. Micromind Registered

To get wider audience acceptance for lesser known comic book properties, a common thread is needed.

They have to build up to some event in the shared universe but for that, they have to maintain some level of cohesiveness and continuity.

Stand alone, solo movies are unpredictable regardless of the movie's quality. Even after 9 years and 10 movies, DCEU is still not getting any benefit of shared universe where lesser known properties get audience by association to a larger universe.

This is due to lack of well thought out roadmap.

Tyler77 and Binary10 like this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I mentioned this in the main thread but relevant here:

I think this has a chance of becoming a cult hit even after its run is done with many of the GA who stayed away finding out they like it a lot when coming across it on streaming.

The Batman likes this.
  15. Moncton Registered

Those are very different situations. They didn't need to overcome a recent Joker or Aquaman film that the audience didn't like.

16. Comicbookguy339 Registered

The first SS was 5 years ago. I think a bigger problem here was that the GA had forgotten about the franchise because it took so long to get another one.

17. Moncton Registered

That played a part, but I think the bigger issue is that the general audience got their fill of Suicide Squad, didn't like it, and didn't want to go back

18. Comicbookguy339 Registered

But is that true? The original had pretty good legs as far as I remember. It had a 67% second weekend drop, sure, but after that it did really well week-to-week.

DlAMONDZ likes this.
  19. SomeOldGuy Registered

Just my two cents: I’d chalk it up to two things. One, the pandemic isn’t over and casual moviegoing remains not a thing. Two, all the momentum for franchise films is gone. One big reason for the MCU’s success was that they pumped a new one out every six months or so. Then everything stopped for a year and a half. You can see that in Black Widow’s BO as well as here.

When/if either of these factors changes is anyone’s guess.

20. Comicbookguy339 Registered

If next year doesn't see a significant box office recovery then studios will be panicking. Let's see, for next year DC has The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash & Aquaman 2 whereas Marvel has Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2 & Captain Marvel 2. If that line-up won't get people back into theaters then what will?

Binary10 likes this.
  21. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Just to piggyback off your point, that's why I think it's a better bet for these studios to just dive deep into their streaming services to whet the audience's appetite for now and maintain momentum. No one is going out in droves to movies again any time soon. So because of that, start making spin-offs and limited series on your streaming services as tie-ins to future big screen movies once things clear up.

It's not as financially lucrative as a big screen feature, but I think it can help to keep audiences invested until it's time to show up at the theaters once we (hopefully) get out of this COVID mess.

KaijuDude1992 and SomeOldGuy like this.
  22. Moncton Registered

August releases tend to have better legs for big films due to less competition. But it was very clear that a whole lot of people did not like that film

23. KaijuDude1992 Registered

These studios are definitely going to have to learn to cut back on these $150-$200M budgets because not every superhero movie needs to cost that much anyways.

Disney is already changing the game with their Marvel and Star Wars Disney Plus shows which look expensive but are nowehere near what most of these blockbuster, tentpole movies get.

Until things actually go back to normal which for all we know could still be years from now its probably more lucurative for them if streaming was put at the forefront instead atleast for the time being.

SomeOldGuy and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  24. Comicbookguy339 Registered

WandaVision cost 225M and Falcon & the Winter Soldier 150M. That's blockbuster money right there.

Kev4000 likes this.
  25. samsnee Ok

Falcon looked expensive because of the flying effects and location shooting. But surprised WV cost so much, especially since even the finale wasn’t that FX heavy.