The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Frankly it really comes down to Covid. Certainly even in normal times I do think TSS would've likely had a lower opening weekend than SS (I imagined 60M opening weekend), but I firmly believe the strong reviews would've at least lifted it in following weeks.

All the blockbusters, with exception of A Quiet Place II and Godzilla vs Kong have all been labeled disappointments or flops. Black Widow and F9 both had big 2nd weekend drops and every time everyone is overanalyzing the reasons why. Quite simply people aren't risking their health for movies and if they are on opening weekend, they sure as hell aren't going for repeat viewings. Journalists need to get articles out so they have to overanalyze and essentially make up reasons why movies aren't grossing even a third of what they'd do in normal times, but it's getting kind of ridiculous.

Covid and HBO max. Apparently it held far better in the UK where there’s no HBO max. Hmm people chose not to pay for a movie they can watch for free. Who knew? ;)

Ain't that the truth. I saw it once in theaters and just rewatched it twice on HBOMax.

It’s a shame, but what can you do? This movie does seem more polarizing than I guess I was expecting. Critics love it, fans seem to be mixed and the GA seemed disinterested and/or unaware of it. It makes me wonder if WB is already rethinking their (prematurely?) announced projects they have in the works with Gunn. Peacemaker is already in production but I don’t know if the WB/Gunn pairing will last beyond that. Not that I think Gunn is the problem per se but perhaps an R-rated Gunn is a more niche thing than a lot of us thought.

What I want to know, how will this do at worldwide box office compared to Mortal Kombat (2021) ? Both movies were released on HBO Max (and in theatres) in US, and in theatres only elsewhere, both were R rated movies.

MK made $42.4 mil in US and $41.2 mil overseas. Total of $ 83.6 mil, will this top that ?

So far TSS has earned $35 mil domestically and $45 mil. Internationally, worldwide Total is at $80 mil.

It’s a shame, but what can you do? This movie does seem more polarizing than I guess I was expecting. Critics love it, fans seem to be mixed and the GA seemed disinterested and/or unaware of it. It makes me wonder if WB is already rethinking their (prematurely?) announced projects they have in the works with Gunn. Peacemaker is already in production but I don’t know if the WB/Gunn pairing will last beyond that. Not that I think Gunn is the problem per se but perhaps an R-rated Gunn is a more niche thing than a lot of us thought.
A sequel to TSS might not happen, but spin off like Secret Six might have a chance, with lower budget and without R rating.

What I want to know, how will this do at worldwide box office compared to Mortal Kombat (2021) ? Both movies were released on HBO Max (and in theatres) in US, and in theatres only elsewhere, both were R rated movies.

MK made $42.4 mil in US and $41.2 mil overseas. Total of $ 83.6 mil, will this top that ?

So far TSS has earned $35 mil domestically and $45 mil. Internationally, worldwide Total is at $80 mil.

SomeOldGuy updated those figures, it has made internationally 75 million and its total is around 117 Million

The Suicide Squad (2021) - Financial Information

Second week drop of 70% is comparable to drop of Black Widow, Space Jam and Snake Eyes.

It's doing considerably better internationally. Might beat WW84 after all.
Shouldn't be hard as WW84 was released when there was no Vaccine and many countries were in lock-downs.

BTW, wom for this is not as good as wom for Free Guy, at least in US.

Man it really sucks seeing this movie just getting completely rejected by audiences here in the states and I definitely feel like that has more to do with movie just not clicking with the masses as well the siutation with Covid and HBO Max which is absolutely destroying the movie's rewatchability IMO.

I mean in these times who's going to go out and watch any movie mutltiple times in a theatre when they can just watch it in crisp HD quality at home even for those who loved it?

This movie just got majorly screwed over by alot of things and Warner Bros confusing marketing didn't make it any better when people can't even tell if its a direct sequel or a reboot.

Technically we are paying, it’s just for HBO Max

People who have AT&T Wireless deals can get HBO Max at no extra cost.

Yeah, there won't be a Suicide Squad 3. At least not with a budget north of $100 mil.

It's a shame. This one was very, very good. But so it goes. :/

They shouldn't have released the movie this year. It was stupid.

Ouch at those box office figures. This movie deserved to do better.

That's what happens when you force such a nonsensical, arbitrary release strategy to bolster your bad streaming service that had a terrible, failed launch.

That's what happens when you force such a nonsensical, arbitrary release strategy to bolster your bad streaming service that had a terrible, failed launch.

Whoa now, HBO Max in of itself is a GREAT streaming service. The content and selection easily rivals Netflix its just that, yes, they've been botching the marketing and promoting of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"